The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #151
FearLanier
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Because it's an incredibly long laundry list of "lol you're not a #1 pick", but for a sample:

How about inconsistent mechanics and the subsequent accuracy issues that he's exhibited especially downfield, entirely shotgun experience, backfoot penchant without a "Cutler" tier arm to compensate. His gaudy numbers are a reflection of the passing scheme and Big-12 more than anything else. His "athleticism" will get exposed at the combine.

Also, for every ONE Clemson game, there's two Texas Tech and K-State.
Mechanics can't be fixed by coaching? I don't think they are that big of a problem. His accuracy is one of his best assets.

And in a completely different system, Geno had 24 TD's/8 INT's and 65% completion percentage. So much for him only being able to succeed in the spread eh?

I don't think he's a generational QB, but I think he is definitely better than a lot of the normal QB's of the last few years.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #152
Rolandftw
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
Wrong. The ball comes out of his hands in two seconds.

That's a great throw and shows that he's not just a spread QB, too.

Keep digging the hole. There are dozens and dozens of snaps of this kid going through more than one read but you're sticking your head in the sand. Probably because you're scared ****less of the Chiefs getting a franchise QB for once.
I don't think too many Broncos fans are worried about KC, franchise QB or not. It's Chief fans that feel convinced, they're only really missing talent at the QB position (and GM and HC), and getting a franchise QB would mean 12-15 years of dominance effective from Geno's rookie season.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #153
FearLanier
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Pretty high praise when Oliver Luck is telling people you are a good student of the game.


Geno Smith Is Just A System Quarterback?

By Richard Cirminiello
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Oct 1, 2012

Share on twitter Share on facebook | More Sharing ServicesMore

Richard Cirminiello's Monday Thought: Geno Smith has become football's newest superstar.



- Cirminiello: Geno Smith Is The Real Deal
- Zemek: The Teams That Aren't For Real
- Harrison: Penn State As The Big Ten Spoiler
- Johnson: The ACC's Woes Continue
- Doan: So What If Ohio State Goes 12-0?

By Richard Cirminiello

Geno Smith plays in a great system for quarterbacks. He is not, however, a system quarterback.

The proverbial system quarterback. He’s the guy who piles up video game-like stats on the college level despite having questionable physical ability, at least the way NFL scouts and GMs evaluate physical ability. He flourishes in an attack designed to spread out defenses, speed up the tempo and fill the air with a hailstorm of passes. He is Timmy Chang, Case Keenum, B.J. Symons and countless others who’ve been disciples of the likes of June Jones, Mike Leach and Hal Mumme. He is not Geno Smith.

Smith has put up staggering numbers through the first four games of 2012. How monstrous? He’s on pace to finish the regular season with 60 touchdown passes and 5,184 yards … and no picks. He’s also completing more than 83% of his passes, many of which have been tough throws, out routes and crossing patterns.

There aren’t a lot of dump-offs in this West Virginia attack. Because Smith is off to a record-breaking start, though, it becomes convenient for casual fans and observers to assume that the senior from Miramar, Fla. in Broward County is nothing more than a watered-down product of his system. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Those who viewed more than just the Mountaineers’ box score on Saturday got a glimpse of what Smith is all about. The numbers are sterling. But the film is even better. He’s a legitimate next-level passer who might go on to challenge everyone at his position, including USC’s Matt Barkley, for top billing at April’s NFL Draft. Smith is well-sized, has a great feel for the pocket and throws the best ball of anyone at this level. And the competition may not even be close.

His receivers, especially Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey, are loaded with talent, but Smith makes the job of those around him so much easier by delicately dropping the ball into their hands. His precision, accuracy and timing are impeccable. His release is quick, and his decision-making is improving.

I spent time with West Virginia AD Oliver Luck in the spring. When the subject of his program’s quarterback came up, he raved about the maturation of Smith in Morgantown, not just as a passer, but also as a student of the game. Luck described No. 12 as one of the smartest and most mature young quarterbacks he’d been around.

They were words of high praise from a man whose own son was the top overall pick of the 2011 NFL Draft. He went on to say that Smith is a highly cerebral athlete who’ll get better as he spends more time learning from inventive head coach Dana Holgorsen. The dividends from that relationship have really begun to bear fruit for both sides this season.

Don’t downplay or dismiss Geno Smith because he strafed the Baylor D for a record-setting eight touchdowns and 656 yards on 45-of-51 passing this past weekend. He’s just Don’t downplay or dismiss Geno Smith because he strafed the Baylor D for a record-setting eight touchdowns and 656 yards on 45-of-51 passing this past weekend. He’s just maximizing his talent, taking what defenses give him and blossoming into the kind of all-eight touchdowns and 656 yards on 45-of-51 passing this past weekend. He’s just maximizing his talent, taking what defenses give him and blossoming into the kind of all-around quarterback who’s capable of following a similar trajectory to Sundays that RG3

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1226731.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #154
Heyneck
Ring of Famer
 
Heyneck's Avatar
 
RIP Tripplets!

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cali, Colombia
Posts: 2,373

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearLanier View Post
"A visionary, he was called. After taking an intelligence test, he was labeled gifted. If his mother wished, Smith could have skipped a grade. She decided against it, preferring he mature with his peers — a notion that did not go as planned, considering Smith often grew bored after finishing his schoolwork faster than most of his classmates.

“His visions of things have always been beyond his years,” Tracey Sellers said of her son, who is now West Virginia’s quarterback and a serious Heisman Trophy contender for the ninth-ranked Mountaineers (3-0), who host No. 25 Baylor (3-0) on Saturday."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/29/sp...anted=all&_r=0
Seriously? Mom comments to back up his intelligence? Hahahaha people skip grades all the time. That doesn't make them savants. HAhahahaha please take Geno!!! Russel Wilson is 3 times the complete QB and leader Geno will ever be... and he was a 3rd rounder (Got to admit Russel is really rad)!!!
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #155
Heyneck
Ring of Famer
 
Heyneck's Avatar
 
RIP Tripplets!

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cali, Colombia
Posts: 2,373

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
If the Chiefs don't take him the Jags or Raiders will. He's a top 5 pick, easy.

Multiple mocks have him going #1.
Actually when people refer to him they talk about top 15... but yeah... please go and use the 1st overall on him.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #156
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Everything

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,746

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

The fact that the Jags and Raiders have targeted him is a red flag he sucks already.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #157
Heyneck
Ring of Famer
 
Heyneck's Avatar
 
RIP Tripplets!

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cali, Colombia
Posts: 2,373

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearLanier View Post
Pretty high praise when Oliver Luck is telling people you are a good student of the game.


Geno Smith Is Just A System Quarterback?

By Richard Cirminiello
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Oct 1, 2012

Share on twitter Share on facebook | More Sharing ServicesMore

Richard Cirminiello's Monday Thought: Geno Smith has become football's newest superstar.



- Cirminiello: Geno Smith Is The Real Deal
- Zemek: The Teams That Aren't For Real
- Harrison: Penn State As The Big Ten Spoiler
- Johnson: The ACC's Woes Continue
- Doan: So What If Ohio State Goes 12-0?

By Richard Cirminiello

Geno Smith plays in a great system for quarterbacks. He is not, however, a system quarterback.

The proverbial system quarterback. He’s the guy who piles up video game-like stats on the college level despite having questionable physical ability, at least the way NFL scouts and GMs evaluate physical ability. He flourishes in an attack designed to spread out defenses, speed up the tempo and fill the air with a hailstorm of passes. He is Timmy Chang, Case Keenum, B.J. Symons and countless others who’ve been disciples of the likes of June Jones, Mike Leach and Hal Mumme. He is not Geno Smith.

Smith has put up staggering numbers through the first four games of 2012. How monstrous? He’s on pace to finish the regular season with 60 touchdown passes and 5,184 yards … and no picks. He’s also completing more than 83% of his passes, many of which have been tough throws, out routes and crossing patterns.

There aren’t a lot of dump-offs in this West Virginia attack. Because Smith is off to a record-breaking start, though, it becomes convenient for casual fans and observers to assume that the senior from Miramar, Fla. in Broward County is nothing more than a watered-down product of his system. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Those who viewed more than just the Mountaineers’ box score on Saturday got a glimpse of what Smith is all about. The numbers are sterling. But the film is even better. He’s a legitimate next-level passer who might go on to challenge everyone at his position, including USC’s Matt Barkley, for top billing at April’s NFL Draft. Smith is well-sized, has a great feel for the pocket and throws the best ball of anyone at this level. And the competition may not even be close.

His receivers, especially Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey, are loaded with talent, but Smith makes the job of those around him so much easier by delicately dropping the ball into their hands. His precision, accuracy and timing are impeccable. His release is quick, and his decision-making is improving.

I spent time with West Virginia AD Oliver Luck in the spring. When the subject of his program’s quarterback came up, he raved about the maturation of Smith in Morgantown, not just as a passer, but also as a student of the game. Luck described No. 12 as one of the smartest and most mature young quarterbacks he’d been around.

They were words of high praise from a man whose own son was the top overall pick of the 2011 NFL Draft. He went on to say that Smith is a highly cerebral athlete who’ll get better as he spends more time learning from inventive head coach Dana Holgorsen. The dividends from that relationship have really begun to bear fruit for both sides this season.

Don’t downplay or dismiss Geno Smith because he strafed the Baylor D for a record-setting eight touchdowns and 656 yards on 45-of-51 passing this past weekend. He’s just Don’t downplay or dismiss Geno Smith because he strafed the Baylor D for a record-setting eight touchdowns and 656 yards on 45-of-51 passing this past weekend. He’s just maximizing his talent, taking what defenses give him and blossoming into the kind of all-eight touchdowns and 656 yards on 45-of-51 passing this past weekend. He’s just maximizing his talent, taking what defenses give him and blossoming into the kind of all-around quarterback who’s capable of following a similar trajectory to Sundays that RG3

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1226731.html
So you just posted an article off his first 4 games this year? ok... he played against who Hahahahaha plus who wrote this? Is the writer in 8th or 10th grade? Because I know kids that write better than this. Just look at that last paragraph.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #158
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

If I was KC I would do whatever it could to move back and then draft Sean Renfree from Duke later.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #159
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 26,152

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
The fact that the Jags and Raiders have targeted him is a red flag he sucks already.
The only reason he's in a discussion with those teams is because they pick #2 and #3.

If the Eagles, Browns, Cardinals or Jets were picking #2 or #3 they'd probably be after Geno, too.

Geno is being mocked by a lot of people at #1 now. NFLdraftcountdown.com has him going 1st overall. Noted draft guru Matt Miller has him going #1 to the Chiefs, too.

Quote:
@nfldraftscout
If I'm the #Chiefs, Geno Smith is my guy unless a trade out is possible. He's athletic, exciting, productive enough to spark offense.
The only people who don't seem to be on the Geno bandwagon at this point are dumb Chiefs fans who want Tim Tebow or Alex Smith, or Broncos fans who are so scared of the Chiefs getting a stud QB they're going way too far on disparaging the man who is clearly the top QB coming out.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #160
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Everything

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,746

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Kiper doesn't even have him as the first QB off the board.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #161
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 26,152

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!
Default

Kiper's a mouth breathing retard, though. There's ample evidence of this.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #162
24champ
Livin' the dream!
 
24champ's Avatar
 
Keep Calm and Chive on

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 19,834

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default

Rick Mirer II, The sequel.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #163
FearLanier
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Kiper doesn't even have him as the first QB off the board.
That's because Kiper is a dumbass who is always wrong every year.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #164
FearLanier
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Here's exactly what I was talking about for Kaylore and SoCal. The NFL is changing drastically. The spread is becoming gospel for several teams.

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/201...l-redskins-rg3
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #165
DENVERDUI55
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Smith the next AFCW bust QB. I'm hope chiefs take him.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #166
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Everything

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,746

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

If you think I'm ripping Smith because the Chiefs want him, you're wrong. If this was last year and it was Luck and RGIII coming out, I would be the most miserable person in the world on draft day. It's just how the Chiefs are. They find ways to fail in epic ways. I mean they even got to draft a QB in 1983 and took the worst one. Eason and O'Brien would have even been better. But the Chiefs found a way to screw it up. Now they have their worst record in a long time, look at the first pick in the draft, and are facing one of the worst classes in the last five years.

I bet you guys get Geno Smith, he bombs, and the other QB's taken ALL become amazing, further adding to your fail. In fact there will probably be some sixth round pick that goes Brady and becomes a HOF legend, while Geno Smith is backing up the Cardinals in 2019.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #167
FearLanier
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
If you think I'm ripping Smith because the Chiefs want him, you're wrong. If this was last year and it was Luck and RGIII coming out, I would be the most miserable person in the world on draft day. It's just how the Chiefs are. They find ways to fail in epic ways. I mean they even got to draft a QB in 1983 and took the worst one. Eason and O'Brien would have even been better. But the Chiefs found a way to screw it up. Now they have their worst record in a long time, look at the first pick in the draft, and are facing one of the worst classes in the last five years.

I bet you guys get Geno Smith, he bombs, and the other QB's taken ALL become amazing, further adding to your fail. In fact there will probably be some sixth round pick that goes Brady and becomes a HOF legend, while Geno Smith is backing up the Cardinals in 2019.
Hmm well I like Tyler Wilson as my #1 guy, though I wouldn't mind him or Geno Smith.

And fun fact Kaylore...at this time last year Kiper had RG3 ranked 24th on his big board.

Different people will be running the Chiefs than now or 1983, so we don't know what will happen.

Oh and if there is one class that is going to suck, it's next years QB class. The Louisville QB is the only real good one and he's not even that great.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #168
FearLanier
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Actually Kaylore I'm curious on your thoughts of Tyler Wilson.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #169
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 26,152

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Now they have their worst record in a long time, look at the first pick in the draft, and are facing one of the worst classes in the last five years.
That's not true, though.

This is at least as good as the 2008 QB draft class.

Ryan and Wilson are very comparable prospects, although Wilson has a stronger arm.

So are Glennon and Flacco.

I'm not sure where Geno fits but he's damn sure a better prospect than Tyler Wilson, and didn't throw 19 picks like Ryan.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #170
FearLanier
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
That's not true, though.

This is at least as good as the 2008 QB draft class.

Ryan and Wilson are very comparable prospects, although Wilson has a stronger arm.

So are Glennon and Flacco.

I'm not sure where Geno fits but he's damn sure a better prospect than Tyler Wilson, and didn't throw 19 picks like Ryan.
Based on what? Just curious.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #171
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Everything

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,746

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearLanier View Post
Actually Kaylore I'm curious on your thoughts of Tyler Wilson.
I like him better than Geno. One of my problems with Geno is he has amazing receivers and plays in a spread against crappy defenses. Petrino liked to mix things up which let Wilson take snaps under center. I like that he has faced adversity with the coaching fallout and played elite competion. He reminds me of Christian Ponder.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #172
FearLanier
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I like him better than Geno. One of my problems with Geno is he has amazing receivers and plays in a spread against crappy defenses. Petrino liked to mix things up which let Wilson take snaps under center. I like that he has faced adversity with the coaching fallout and played elite competion. He reminds me of Christian Ponder.
His technique reminds me of Christian Ponder, especially his feet, but I think his overall playing style reminds me of Tony Romo, though I think that he has the toughness and leadership that Tony Romo lacks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #173
Heyneck
Ring of Famer
 
Heyneck's Avatar
 
RIP Tripplets!

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cali, Colombia
Posts: 2,373

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I like him better than Geno. One of my problems with Geno is he has amazing receivers and plays in a spread against crappy defenses. Petrino liked to mix things up which let Wilson take snaps under center. I like that he has faced adversity with the coaching fallout and played elite competion. He reminds me of Christian Ponder.
Yup me too. I think Tyler is better pro-prospect than Geno. He reminds me a lot about Ryan. We all now how that turned out for the Dolphins... Anyway, people can talk about Spread QBs coming into the league and it being called the new frontier. But in reality, it's just a small sample of QBs, and most importantly they have coordinators or coaches that can adapt that scheme to the pro game.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #174
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 26,152

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
One of my problems with Geno is he has amazing receivers and plays in a spread against crappy defenses.
Check out what he did against the OU #8 pass defense then.

You sound like you haven't watched him much, if at all.

Geno had a 17-4 TD-INT ratio against top 25 teams this year.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #175
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,025

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

jags, faid and bob like Smith?

Dude will wash out in 3 years.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:16 AM.


Denver Broncos