The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #26
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Back in the stone age, about all we had was the weekly NFL films show (usually on Saturday afternoons.) Dramatic footage, set to music, but most teams got more or less equal time.

Then came the highlights section of Monday Night Football. Compressed down to four or five minutes, not every game made the cut. If your team won, but didn't get mentioned, that was cause for putting a shoe through the TV, especially since Howard made plenty of editorial comments about who was good and who was blah. That's when I first saw people complaining about respect from the media. But you still had the NFL films show on Saturdays to sooth your fanaticism.

When Inside the NFL started, they devoted a lot more time to film. But over the years, as the market has been flooded with the NFL channel and multiple ESPN and other sports shows, not to mention Sunday night games, Thursday night games, and internet sites like NFL.com, chances are most people have seen most highlights from most games at least three or four times before Inside the NFL even airs. So, over time, they spend less time showing film and more time on features and talking heads that usually focus on whatever theme or player strikes them at the moment.

I miss the good old days, except the part where we lost a lot.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:33 AM   #27
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

Don't care.
Mountain Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #28
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

I haven't noticed and lack of coverage at all. I like the fact we just keep rolling onto the next week. This team seems to be more focused than any other team in the league.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #29
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Honestly, what's more interesting? The Broncos did the same thing they've done the past ten weeks, or Cowboys vs. Redskins for the NFC East title this weekend? Pagano returns to his playoff bound team. RGIII Rookie sensation surging past the rest of the NFC East. The Steelers folding and fallout for Haley and Big Ben. The Bears imploding. Aaron Rogers dragging a mash-unit of a team into the playoffs just as they are getting healthy. Calvin Johnson and AD making history. Niners/Seahawks.

The Broncos fate is largely decided. The media has to squeeze in all the regular season drama because a lot of teams are about to be eliminated and irrelevant. When the playoffs begin things will change.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #30
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange&BlueMohawk View Post
Okay I have slowly been stockpiling my furiosity over the last couple weeks. If I'm not careful, I am going to start boiling over.

For as good as we are doing, and how we are looking going into the last week of the regular season, and potentially getting the Number 1 seed, the only thing Broncos in the entire 1 hour show was our three passing touchdown highlights, a total of 20ish seconds.

They spent more time talking about everything else (obviously) but most notably rookie QB's (RGIII, Luck, Wilson), coaching changes, and five minutes of a Chuggers/ Jets game with sound.

Hell, our game had to have been way more interesting than the Jets/ Chuggers. Even if ours wasn't close.

There was more interest/ coverage in the Vikings/ Texans (thanks AD) but we are better than the Texans.

Overall, I am more disappointed that there was a serious lack of interest in one of the better stories going into the playoffs, especially since we are at the top of our game, on a serious win streak, and roughly the top of power rankings. And how close the race for our Number 1 is.

Anyone else feeling this lack of love, or just getting fed up with it. Better start respecting. Also, other thoughts.
I don't know your age or how long you have been a Bronco fan, but in 1996 through 1998, it was no different. The national sports scene is centered on the east coast. Its reporters and staffs originate from that area and so do their allegiances. This bias will never change. When Denver went to SB32, the national news was focused on another John Elway beating.

The media did not recognize that Denver brought a much superior team than the 80's Reeves led teams. They sat stunned with about 5 minutes to go and afterwards trying to explain this upset of great proportions. Anyone who sat through the Bronco 80's knew different.

The following year, when it was difficult to repeat, the national media watched out of the corner of their eye at Denver. What they saw the next year was a better team which saw many of the games on ice by the 3rd quarter. Who knows how many yards TD would have finished with that year. Instead of singing the Bronco praises, the national media prayed for a Jacksonville type upset through the playoffs. For once, the NFC delivered a team to the Superbowl which unequally matched the Broncos as Denver had been unequal to the teams they faced in the 80's Superbowls.

However, the media's prayers were answered in short order, Elway was exchanged for Griese, Lepsis rolled up on TD, Shanahan's britches became too small and the bottom was finally reached when McDaniels rode into town.

Team Elway/Fox have purged the attitude from Dove Valley with an influx of some pretty capable players including some good free agent finds. They hit the jackpot with the Manning signing which was the perfect solution for exiting Tebow. I love Tebow and would still love to see him show everyone wrong but Denver had to jump into the Manning sweepstakes. My wife still hasn't emotionally detached herself from what Denver did to Tim.

We have now come full circle to about 1996. The media still doesn't recognize the Broncos may be a much better TEAM. This is all about Manning. The HOF Manning. Surely Denver will find its end when they face that east coast monster in New England and pretty boy Brady (not Quinn).

Last edited by dsmoot; 12-27-2012 at 07:58 AM..
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #31
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

I gave up on cable/satellite TV last year, and yet, I don't miss any ESPN/NFLN/Talking head shows at all. They have just above nothing for me as a Bronco fan and I give them the same back (and watch a stream if the games are on M/Th).
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #32
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Ah yes, the "media as enemy" narrative. "They only like the east coast teams!" Which totally explains their coverage of the Packers.

Derp.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #33
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

I see it differently. Watching many shows on NFLN and listening to national radio shows, I am actually surprised how much respect we get. Just this morning, on the mike and mike with hill and schlereth, question was asked which team do you fear the most. Mangini said it was the Broncos. Top 5 on defense and offense. Said we are the most complete team in the NFL. Heard this on NFLN as well. 5 weeks ago, mike greenburg said he thought the best team in the NFL was the Broncos. Of course, Golic said it was the Patriots, Houston and 49ers.

To be fair, the Texans didn't get that much hype in the first half of the year when they clearly was the best team in the NFL
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #34
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
I see it differently. Watching many shows on NFLN and listening to national radio shows, I am actually surprised how much respect we get. Just this morning, on the mike and mike with hill and schlereth, question was asked which team do you fear the most. Mangini said it was the Broncos. Top 5 on defense and offense. Said we are the most complete team in the NFL. Heard this on NFLN as well. 5 weeks ago, mike greenburg said he thought the best team in the NFL was the Broncos. Of course, Golic said it was the Patriots, Houston and 49ers.

To be fair, the Texans didn't get that much hype in the first half of the year when they clearly was the best team in the NFL
Yes, I have heard Greenburg give kudos to the Broncos. I think he started doing that right after it was obvious his Jets were so pathetic and they had no chance to reach the playoffs. It must have physically hurt him to start saying that. To his credit, he is one of the few. I like Mangini's view of the league regardless of his positive Bronco comments. Schlereth has been a little hard on Denver at times, even this year.

My view of Denver is that last yrs playoff, although entertaining, was against a faltering Pittsburgh team that didn't prove much and NE dismantled them offensively. Denver will still have to prove themselves against those teams that hung losses on them earlier in the year. The real test starts in a couple of weeks where credibility is earned.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #35
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Ah yes, the "media as enemy" narrative. "They only like the east coast teams!" Which totally explains their coverage of the Packers.

Derp.
I actually think this is true. It's hard for teams like Seattle to get attention. The media eventually figures it out, but it's usually delayed quite a bit. I 100% belive in the East coast bias.

In this case, I don't think that's the issue.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #36
crawdad
IL Oldest Bronco Maniac

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
Back in the stone age, about all we had was the weekly NFL films show (usually on Saturday afternoons.) Dramatic footage, set to music, but most teams got more or less equal time.

Then came the highlights section of Monday Night Football. Compressed down to four or five minutes, not every game made the cut. If your team won, but didn't get mentioned, that was cause for putting a shoe through the TV, especially since Howard made plenty of editorial comments about who was good and who was blah. That's when I first saw people complaining about respect from the media. But you still had the NFL films show on Saturdays to sooth your fanaticism.

When Inside the NFL started, they devoted a lot more time to film. But over the years, as the market has been flooded with the NFL channel and multiple ESPN and other sports shows, not to mention Sunday night games, Thursday night games, and internet sites like NFL.com, chances are most people have seen most highlights from most games at least three or four times before Inside the NFL even airs. So, over time, they spend less time showing film and more time on features and talking heads that usually focus on whatever theme or player strikes them at the moment.

I miss the good old days, except the part where we lost a lot.
I remember in the 70's when a local Denver TV station would have someone throw a brick through a TV set when Howard showed his face. He didn't get much facetime when that starting happening.
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #37
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Honestly, what's more interesting? The Broncos did the same thing they've done the past ten weeks, or Cowboys vs. Redskins for the NFC East title this weekend? Pagano returns to his playoff bound team. RGIII Rookie sensation surging past the rest of the NFC East. The Steelers folding and fallout for Haley and Big Ben. The Bears imploding. Aaron Rogers dragging a mash-unit of a team into the playoffs just as they are getting healthy. Calvin Johnson and AD making history. Niners/Seahawks.

The Broncos fate is largely decided. The media has to squeeze in all the regular season drama because a lot of teams are about to be eliminated and irrelevant. When the playoffs begin things will change.
Yup. The Broncos were "interesting" last year, and got ridiculous amounts of coverage.

Not even the Chiefs fans are up for this week's game. They just want it over quick and ugly so they can get to their draft fantasies.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #38
Greatspirits
Perennial Pro-bowler

"Little Von!"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trev

I don't mind the lack of attention as well, I hope they don't say squat about us. All that matters now is that they keep winning.
Greatspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #39
DENVERDUI55

When it has been months since the last competitive game the media would rather talk about a spat between a FB wanting to play QB and his deadbeat coach. When you are boring it is a good thing.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #40
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmoot View Post
I don't know your age or how long you have been a Bronco fan, but in 1996 through 1998, it was no different. The national sports scene is centered on the east coast. Its reporters and staffs originate from that area and so do their allegiances. This bias will never change. When Denver went to SB32, the national news was focused on another John Elway beating.

The media did not recognize that Denver brought a much superior team than the 80's Reeves led teams. They sat stunned with about 5 minutes to go and afterwards trying to explain this upset of great proportions. Anyone who sat through the Bronco 80's knew different.

The following year, when it was difficult to repeat, the national media watched out of the corner of their eye at Denver. What they saw the next year was a better team which saw many of the games on ice by the 3rd quarter. Who knows how many yards TD would have finished with that year. Instead of singing the Bronco praises, the national media prayed for a Jacksonville type upset through the playoffs. For once, the NFC delivered a team to the Superbowl which unequally matched the Broncos as Denver had been unequal to the teams they faced in the 80's Superbowls.

However, the media's prayers were answered in short order, Elway was exchanged for Griese, Lepsis rolled up on TD, Shanahan's britches became too small and the bottom was finally reached when McDaniels rode into town.

Team Elway/Fox have purged the attitude from Dove Valley with an influx of some pretty capable players including some good free agent finds. They hit the jackpot with the Manning signing which was the perfect solution for exiting Tebow. I love Tebow and would still love to see him show everyone wrong but Denver had to jump into the Manning sweepstakes. My wife still hasn't emotionally detached herself from what Denver did to Tim.

We have now come full circle to about 1996. The media still doesn't recognize the Broncos may be a much better TEAM. This is all about Manning. The HOF Manning. Surely Denver will find its end when they face that east coast monster in New England and pretty boy Brady (not Quinn).
Since Denver is so far down the media list of major markets CBS does not care nor does show time, Eason, or even the NFLN.

If it was NOT for Manning no one would care but he is the story line old man comes back from career ending surgerys.

While it is important to us most of us could care less about NE. Or any other east coast team. But those teams out number us by 15-1 maybe more.

Who does the channels care about selling ad space to those folks not us.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote