The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #26
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

How exactly is a bandwagon fan defined? Is there a difference between a bandwagon fan and a fair weather fan? I always regarded a "bandwagon" fan as a fan who would jump onto a hot team's bandwagon and act like they've always been a fan of that team. So maybe two years ago they were a Jets fan but now they've decided to root for the 49ers, something like that. Where as a fair weather fan will root for one team, but their interest rises and falls based on the success of the team.

While I do find bandwagon fans by this definition pretty lame, I don't really care. They probably define their music tastes based on what Simon Cowell thinks, but hey, to each their own. I find nothing at all wrong with fair weather fans. I mean it's about entertainment, and watching a bad team really isn't entertaining. I just can't get behind the notion that many sports fans seem to have that sticking with a team through bad times is some kind of virtue. I mean good for them for being passionate, but do we really have a more important reason to be following sports other than entertainment?
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #27
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
A lot of Bronco fans springing up these days. I'm vacationing in Kauai
And seeing Broncos gear everywhere. Had 4 Broncos fans in an obscure
Mexican restaurant this morning. The bandwagon grows as the team succeeds
I guess.
I have always seen a lot of Broncos fans. Same with Cowboys, Steelers, Packers and 9ers. No way of knowing if they're actual fans or not. I live down here in Tucson and see as many Broncos fans if not more than the others.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #28
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
While I agree with your premise, I never saw so many Packers fans until Favre and Reggie White joined the team and made them into winners.
YOu can say the same about us with Elway. Do the fans stick with the team even when Elway retires or we suck? I say we don't fall in the bandwagon fan claim. Sure we pick up more fans but that happens with every team.
THere are tons of Cowboys, Packers and Steelers fans out there and they have a hard core home base like Denver. When you see the team in a down year is when you can judge. Chargers' fans are one of the worst I have seen. If people say Seahawks, is that because the city and area is getting overly excited based on this year's team? Then if that does make a team a Bandwagon, what do you call Denver in 1977 when people were painting their homes orange?
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #29
jerseyboiler120

Broncos always had a solid fan base even before the Elway era. Current bandwagon now has to be seattle. After the media was forced to take the lombardi trophy away from jimmy baby-screamer harbaugh for the 4th time this season, they've all jumped to the seattle trojans (or is it the usc seahawks?).

As for fair weather, I've lived in a lot of places and I have to say its the giants. Non-giants fans here in Jersey have a saying: you won't find a giants fan anywhere when they're losing. Its almost uncanny; they seem to have a 6th sense before the game even begins and they are nowhere to be found on the days the giants play bad. On days the giants come from behind and win, their fans are in hiding until that magic moment when eli hits cruz for a score. Then all of a sudden there are about 35 of them screaming and yelling.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #30
jerseyboiler120

Long term bandwagon fans are of course cowboys, steeluhs, packers. This in large part is a self-fulfilling prophecy by the tv programming. Who is always on tv Cowboys, steeluhs, and packers.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #31
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
YOu can say the same about us with Elway. Do the fans stick with the team even when Elway retires or we suck? I say we don't fall in the bandwagon fan claim. Sure we pick up more fans but that happens with every team.
THere are tons of Cowboys, Packers and Steelers fans out there and they have a hard core home base like Denver. When you see the team in a down year is when you can judge. Chargers' fans are one of the worst I have seen. If people say Seahawks, is that because the city and area is getting overly excited based on this year's team? Then if that does make a team a Bandwagon, what do you call Denver in 1977 when people were painting their homes orange?
I lived in Denver between 1970 & 1974, a period that the Broncos had still not had a winning season in its history. Yet, the Broncos were the talk of the town and they were filling the stadium every Home game even though they sucked. This was the time that I became a fan, and remained one when we moved back to So Cal. Did Elway bring more fans to the team? Sure he did, just like Manning is now.

My point with the Packers is that they had bad teams after Lombardi, and before Favre, yet I just don't remember the loyalty of their fans during that period. Maybe I am wrong, but I just think many Packer fans jumped on the wagon after Favre made them relevant again.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #32
extralife
Ring of Famer

it's always the cowboys
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #33
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch

Steelers. /end thread
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #34
troyjbath
Probably Drunk

Long time lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I remember going to the bar to watch games in the 90's and seeing a few 49ers and Cowboys fans mixed among the army of Broncos fans we have up here in WY. Now there are tables full of Pats fans....mostly wearing #12 jerseys. I always question a mans sexuality if I see them wearing a damn Brady jersey. They don't like it one bit.
troyjbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #35
tesnyde
Paradigm Coordinator

Keepit nuttier than a squirrel turd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco X View Post
How exactly is a bandwagon fan defined? Is there a difference between a bandwagon fan and a fair weather fan? I always regarded a "bandwagon" fan as a fan who would jump onto a hot team's bandwagon and act like they've always been a fan of that team. So maybe two years ago they were a Jets fan but now they've decided to root for the 49ers, something like that. Where as a fair weather fan will root for one team, but their interest rises and falls based on the success of the team.

While I do find bandwagon fans by this definition pretty lame, I don't really care. They probably define their music tastes based on what Simon Cowell thinks, but hey, to each their own. I find nothing at all wrong with fair weather fans. I mean it's about entertainment, and watching a bad team really isn't entertaining. I just can't get behind the notion that many sports fans seem to have that sticking with a team through bad times is some kind of virtue. I mean good for them for being passionate, but do we really have a more important reason to be following sports other than entertainment?
Nice post. I agree with the fair weather and bandwagon fan definitions. San Diego has biggest fair weather fans. The biggest band wagons fans seem to be the Packers and Pats. I did not think they had any fans until the late nineties. On the other hand, maybe where we think many of these guys are bandwagon, they really aren't, it's just there are a lot of crap places to be from. Pittsburg until recently, Green Bay, Dallas, pretty much all of the east coast, rust belt, etc....
tesnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #36
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Bandwagon fans usually go to cities that only support their teams when they are good.

Pats, Cowboys, Packers, Steelers ALWAYS have fans, they are opposite of bandwagon.

The most bandwagon fans I think of it Atlanta. That goes for the Falcons, Braves and Hawks. They only support their teams when they are winning.
One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong.

Pats fans pre Belichick were the biggest ****ing bandwagon fans on the planet. Boston is a ****ing Red Sox and Celtics town, the Pats are something to pass the time and the moment they suck again (post Brady) their fans will disappear.

Cowboys, Packers, Steelers I agree, they will always have fans regardless of how good the team is. Most of Texas (25 million people) are Cowboys fans except maybe 60% of the Houston metro area.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #37
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Easily the Cheatriots.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #38
DAN_BRONCO_FAN
Ring of Famer

weed will win

Adopt-a-Bronco:
miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyjbath View Post
Had a discussion with a few family members and friends over Christmas dinner about who's the biggest bandwagon team in the NFL. A friend of mine argued that Denver is on top because of Tebow and Manning. I argued that the Pats are the biggest bandwagon team in the league because of all the non-football fans I see sporting their gear. Most of the Pats fans I know couldn't name more than 2-3 players on the team and admit to not watching much NFL football. What to you think?
point out to them the sell out streak Denver had since 1970 when the NFL and the AFL merged into what we fans know as the current NFL
so Bronco fans aint fair weather band wagon fans http://blog.denverbroncos.com/jsacco...ellout-streak/
DAN_BRONCO_FAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #39
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco X View Post

Post more!
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #40
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Charger fans only come out when their team is safely winning, so after game 6 of such a season. But I agree with others, the Patriots have a ton of bandwagon fans who only know about Brady and that's about it.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #41
m3alley
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Living in Wisconsin and being a non-packer fan, I obviously notice the Packers fans on a daily basis. I can't stand Packer fans, as they think they are the best team when they win, but when they lose it gets blamed on coaches, refs, bad calls, play call, or whatever other excuse they can find. However, I can confirm that Packer fans are the most loyal fans, as you won't find a packer an pretending to be a fan of another team.
m3alley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #42
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
In that case I nominate the Chargers fans.
By far. This group of fans didn't sell out their game vs the 1st place Bengals after they just beat the Chiefs on the road. This group of fans had to have an extension TWICE to sell out their home playoff game! One was their first home playoff game in ions yet the threat of drizzle for that game and the Jets game meant they were too much of a p***Y crowd to attend (and we b****ed about Packers not selling out for minus 14 degrees weather).

Ask any Broncos fan who has gone to Mile High West the differences when they are way up and they attend the game. It is like night and day inside the stadium and of course tailgatting. Oh boy, those morons act like Raiders fans before each game.

Baja, you still gone?
Old 01-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #43
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

The Pats have the most bandwagon fans. I never knew of a true Pats fan before Brady. After Brady that fanbase exploded
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #44
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
yep....and 1a is cowboy fan.

Somewhere bewteen West Texas and and SoCal there is a fan factory for both franchises (oakland, Dallas).
....I figured this was low hanging fruit. anyone?
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #45
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
....I figured this was low hanging fruit. anyone?
I don't dispute it. I assume SD is in that geographic region?
Old 01-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #46
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
I don't dispute it. I assume SD is in that geographic region?

pretty much

but this week they are chargers fans
Attached Images

bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #47
GreasyWrenches
Just Drafted

New name, same attitude.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wolfe

I am in Oregon, and before Russell Wilson showed up everyone was a Niners fan. Now they are all Seahawks fans.
GreasyWrenches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:44 AM   #48
DAN_BRONCO_FAN
Ring of Famer

weed will win

Adopt-a-Bronco:
miles

do those fair weather fans have closets with every potential hot NFL team Jerseys unless youre a wannabe gangbanger then its raider jerseys
DAN_BRONCO_FAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #49
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

I agree with Sea Chickens. I knew about 2 of them prior to Carrol's arrival. Now they are everywhere. Worst yet they think they have a right to puff up their chest and act like they are someone. 2 good years does not erase decades of suckage.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #50
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

Right now it is the Broncos hands down. I live in Broncos Country, so I have always seen a ton of Broncos fans, but now traveling I see Broncos fans everywhere where between 1998 and last year I rarely saw any.

Sad, but true.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote