The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Is Shanahan going to make it through the season?
Yes 61 83.56%
No 8 10.96%
It's Griese's fault 12 16.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #326
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
and who hired Elway?
The old man. As Khan told me, it appeared as a desperate reach for the past, but I'm glad the old man got lucky on this one. Now he needs to actually be a responsible owner and give his people resources to work with. No more game playing. You've saved a ****load of money doing that to the past regimes in the last decade. That's more than enough. Start spending some cash and keep the roster together (and improve it).

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #327
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBLqHn9SySA
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #328
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

That's not the thing I was referring to, baja. Its a seperate interview.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #329
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
That's not the thing I was referring to, baja. Its a seperate interview.

I would like to watch it can you find it?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #330
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
Put the bong down Baja and maybe you'd get the joke. That is actually an awesome line by Shanny on the way out if true.
Agreed. It's a pretty awesome shot mocking the 'coach for life' title
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #331
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

This message to me pretty much sums up a Shanny apologist in the umpth degree:
"Shanahan apologists? What an ungrateful sack of **** you are. You can't let things go and just appreciate the greatness that Mike brought to this franchise."

The "he can't do no wrong" attitude is what many here (me included) thought because of his past and blindly ignoring the present (2007-09).
It is discussable since it is football related. I don't ever want to be that big of a homer and not see the other side. MattMVP and Wolf were the very few who would criticize Shanny for some of his game plans and/or hires on his staff and players. Everyone except Lonestar appreciates his early days as the Broncos head coach. You have to be a retardo or Lonestar (could be the same thing) to not give him his due credit back then and also 2005.
Did the firing help him realize he is not God and you can't live off the past? Not sure but I think he has a huge goal to achieve this Sunday. Some redemption for his career stats.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #332
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Yes, they paid Manning 19m and paid for some TEs and whatnot....and STILL ended up like 12m under. What does it tell you that they paid all these sums and were still among the league leaders in having money left under? Major props to Elway for putting together the roster with budget restrictions (he's freely said in teh past the cap is different from their own budget...mad props to him, he has been a great GM, I thought he would be green, he has been better than I thought by a mile).

I'm not going to get into that again....because I know Khan is doing an analysis to prove the contrary (and I've already laid out my proof in prior posts), so I look forward to reading (and taking apart) his analysis when it comes.

Bottom line is this...when I saw an interview with Shanny awhile back after he got fired, I remember a line he said, he said something like "Pat Bowlen will always be a friend for life" and when he said that, I could see seething hatred in his eyes dude, he had that look that you know of when he has it...and I smiled, because I share the same view. I know its there and I know he's furious and I don't blame him one bit. He's going to kick the crap out of Dallas. I'm so proud of him for overcoming alot of adversity this year with injuries and getting TWO rookie QBs ready to play at a high level in the NFL.
This is a classic projection post. You have no clue as to how Shanny felt during that interview, that was simply how you felt while you watched it.

Pat Bowlen hired Shanny, then kept Shanny around way, way too long. Bowlen made Shanny a very rich man and Shanny collected $14m after he was fired. You have no objectivity in you opinions about Shanny, and its really quit amusing watching you bumble around in your hate of all things Bowlen.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #333
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
This is a classic projection post. You have no clue as to how Shanny felt during that interview, that was simply how you felt while you watched it.

Pat Bowlen hired Shanny, then kept Shanny around way, way too long. Bowlen made Shanny a very rich man and Shanny collected $14m after he was fired. You have no objectivity in you opinions about Shanny, and its really quit amusing watching you bumble around in your hate of all things Bowlen.
that last sentence sums it up.. most folks only hear/SEE what they wish to..

that said we (myself included) all have guys we like and seem to turn a blind eye to realism when it comes to them..

Would love to say I have been correct in all my thoughts on players but Like everyone else I've made mistakes..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #334
Pass is...IN-COM-PLETE!

Quote:
Pat Bowlen hired Shanny, then kept Shanny around way, way too long.
Shanahan did take the Broncos to the AFC Championship Game without a franchise QB in 2005 so I would say three more years was justified.

The 2000-06 Broncos went through a pretty decent run considering Shanahan didn't have a difference maker at QB. In 2000, they were arguably the second-best team in the AFC but they got the worst draw (Ravens) in the wild card round.

2001 they were a mediocre team.

I think they were the second-best AFC team in 2002, but the top AFC team (Raiders) absolutely owned them during the regular season.

The 2003 end result was sour, but still think that team had a lot of misfortune work against them. They outplayed the Chiefs when both teams were 5-0 and went down on a non-clipping call on the Dante Hall PR. Jake Plummer's injury cost them more games. After baffling Peyton Manning in the regular season meeting, they got a bad draw of facing him in the first round after Larry Coyer threw the kitchen sink at him to get into the playoffs. Say want you want, but Jake Plummer is not going to beat Manning twice.

2004 was certainly a disappointment. They started off 5-1 and then lost control of their nice start with an ugly loss to a lowly Bengals team on MNF.

2005 was a fun year.

With a 7-2 start, 2006 had the potential to be special again but they blew a 17-point second-half lead versus the Chargers on SNF and the rest is history.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #335
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass is...IN-COM-PLETE! View Post
Shanahan did take the Broncos to the AFC Championship Game without a franchise QB in 2005 so I would say three more years was justified.

The 2000-06 Broncos went through a pretty decent run considering Shanahan didn't have a difference maker at QB. In 2000, they were arguably the second-best team in the AFC but they got the worst draw (Ravens) in the wild card round.

2001 they were a mediocre team.

I think they were the second-best AFC team in 2002, but the top AFC team (Raiders) absolutely owned them during the regular season.

The 2003 end result was sour, but still think that team had a lot of misfortune work against them. They outplayed the Chiefs when both teams were 5-0 and went down on a non-clipping call on the Dante Hall PR. Jake Plummer's injury cost them more games. After baffling Peyton Manning in the regular season meeting, they got a bad draw of facing him in the first round after Larry Coyer threw the kitchen sink at him to get into the playoffs. Say want you want, but Jake Plummer is not going to beat Manning twice.

2004 was certainly a disappointment. They started off 5-1 and then lost control of their nice start with an ugly loss to a lowly Bengals team on MNF.

2005 was a fun year.

With a 7-2 start, 2006 had the potential to be special again but they blew a 17-point second-half lead versus the Chargers on SNF and the rest is history.
1 playoff win post Elway is another way of looking at it. I was very loyal to Shanny but once Bowlen fired him I was ok with it.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #336
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

Laughable take considering the Broncos set NFL records in yards, points, rushing, etc during the post Elway era. Extra laughable considering the Broncos were top 5 in win % during the post Elway era. Extra laughable considering the Broncos made an AFCCG appearance less than 3 years before the fire. Extra laughable considering he dragged the youngest team in the NFL with record breaking amount of RB injuries to missing the playoffs by a tie-breaker.

In conclusion: Laughable.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #337
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Rev with another beat down.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #338
extralife
Ring of Famer

when Rev is owning you you know you're argument doesn't hold a lot of water
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #339
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
when Rev is owning you you know you're argument doesn't hold a lot of water
Sure thing anonymous hater with zero football posts on a football forum. Also, 'your', but you'll learn that next year in 4th grade.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #340
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
your
I blame Jesus
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:01 PM   #341
Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Laughable take considering the Broncos set NFL records in yards, points, rushing, etc during the post Elway era. Extra laughable considering the Broncos were top 5 in win % during the post Elway era. Extra laughable considering the Broncos made an AFCCG appearance less than 3 years before the fire. Extra laughable considering he dragged the youngest team in the NFL with record breaking amount of RB injuries to missing the playoffs by a tie-breaker.

In conclusion: Laughable.
Less than 3 years? What the hell are you trying to sugar coat? How about tell the whole truth and say it was 3 seasons prior. 3 seasons is an eternity in the NFL.

Laughable was the Denver Broncos' defenses Shanahan put together. Laughable was hiring guys named Jim Bates and Bob Slowik to run the defense. Laughable was the revolving DC door and not because they got promoted.

Laughable is Denver Broncos fans getting hyped every year considering the fact that the Broncos won 1 playoff game post elway era.

Laughable was Kelly Herndon and Lenny Walls as our DBs.

Laughable was the meltdowns the Denver Broncos teams would experience.

Laughable was how soft the defense was. Not just soft, but melted butter soft.

Laughable was being 2nd in the league in yards yet somehow 16th in the league in points per game

Laughable is thinking Shanny ever put together a team with any sort of chance to go anywhere from the year 2000 and on

Laughable is the amount of players Shanahan drafted and signed that are still in the NFL or had any NFL career after the Denver Broncos.

Last edited by Action; 12-25-2012 at 10:21 PM..
Old 12-26-2012, 12:38 AM   #342
ol#7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Less than 3 years? What the hell are you trying to sugar coat? How about tell the whole truth and say it was 3 seasons prior. 3 seasons is an eternity in the NFL.

Laughable was the Denver Broncos' defenses Shanahan put together. Laughable was hiring guys named Jim Bates and Bob Slowik to run the defense. Laughable was the revolving DC door and not because they got promoted.

Laughable is Denver Broncos fans getting hyped every year considering the fact that the Broncos won 1 playoff game post elway era.

Laughable was Kelly Herndon and Lenny Walls as our DBs.

Laughable was the meltdowns the Denver Broncos teams would experience.

Laughable was how soft the defense was. Not just soft, but melted butter soft.

Laughable was being 2nd in the league in yards yet somehow 16th in the league in points per game

Laughable is thinking Shanny ever put together a team with any sort of chance to go anywhere from the year 2000 and on

Laughable is the amount of players Shanahan drafted and signed that are still in the NFL or had any NFL career after the Denver Broncos.
You have really slid downhill as a poster. I mean, you throw 2000 and on out there even though we hosted the 2005 AFCCG.

Is this Lonestar's alternate account?

You have alot of hate for many things Bronco. Weird.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:07 AM   #343
Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol#7 View Post
You have really slid downhill as a poster. I mean, you throw 2000 and on out there even though we hosted the 2005 AFCCG.

Is this Lonestar's alternate account?

You have alot of hate for many things Bronco. Weird.
I'm really not sure what hosting the 2005 AFCCG has to do with anything I said?

The fact of the matter is, Shanahan's time was up here. Just because my opinion differentiates from yours doesn't mean I hate "many things" Bronco. As a matter of fact, what is this even referencing to?

Were you in complete faith of the defenses Shanahan was putting out?

Last edited by Action; 12-26-2012 at 02:16 AM..
Old 12-26-2012, 02:25 AM   #344
Pass is...IN-COM-PLETE!

Action is an apologist, too. Defending McD!ckless and his porous performance as Rams offensive coordinator last year.

I don't mind people who defend McD!ckless, but there's no defense for what he did with St. Louis.

They finished dead last in the NFL in points (193), averaging 12 points per game. 32 out of 32.

I don't care how bad the talent is, a good offensive coordinator finds a way to get his team to 28th in the league. Hell, I would even accept a 31st ranking.

Mike Shanahan's lowest ranking ever in points was 26th (2011) with Rex Grossman and John Beck. He has 25 years of offenses to draw from and he's never been close to the ineptitude of the 2011 Rams. Good offensive coordinators find a way to generate something. There's no defending 32 of 32.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:31 AM   #345
Pass is...IN-COM-PLETE!

If you are going to defend an offensive coordinator for directing a team to the worst point total in league, then you are not a reasonable person to argue with.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:44 AM   #346
Action

Quote:
If you are going to defend an offensive coordinator for directing a team to the worst point total in league, then you are not a reasonable person to argue with.
Of course theres no damn excuse for what happened over there, McDaniels clearly did a ****ty job in St. Louis...am I missing something?
Old 12-26-2012, 02:47 AM   #347
Action

Quote:

Mike Shanahan's lowest ranking ever in points was 26th (2011) with Rex Grossman and John Beck. He has 25 years of offenses to draw from and he's never been close to the ineptitude of the 2011 Rams. Good offensive coordinators find a way to generate something. There's no defending 32 of 32.
So you're comparing a head coach to an offensive coordinator now?

I'm not even sure what to say about that, whether you know that McDaniels should be considered that highly to be in comparison with HC's or that you don't think much of Shanahan to compare him to an OC.

Either way, you really have no foundation on what you're talking about... one is a HC and the other one calls plays.

Registered this month and you're already calling me out as if you've been stalking me?

c'mon son, did you get banned?

Last edited by Action; 12-26-2012 at 02:50 AM..
Old 12-26-2012, 05:38 AM   #348
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
So you're comparing a head coach to an offensive coordinator now?

I'm not even sure what to say about that, whether you know that McDaniels should be considered that highly to be in comparison with HC's or that you don't think much of Shanahan to compare him to an OC.

Either way, you really have no foundation on what you're talking about... one is a HC and the other one calls plays.

Registered this month and you're already calling me out as if you've been stalking me?

c'mon son, did you get banned?
Amusing coming from you
Old 12-26-2012, 06:08 AM   #349
ol#7

Quote:
I'm really not sure what hosting the 2005 AFCCG has to do with anything I said?

The fact of the matter is, Shanahan's time was up here. Just because my opinion differentiates from yours doesn't mean I hate "many things" Bronco. As a matter of fact, what is this even referencing to?

Were you in complete faith of the defenses Shanahan was putting out?
You said it was laughable and that Denver never put together a team with a chance of going anywhere after 2000. Patently false as we hosted the AFCCG in 2005 and were a viable threat a number of other years. You either hate the Broncos/Love McDanies or have no clue what the hell your talking about.

The Defense went into decline after 2006 due to Al Wilson's injury. Until then, Denver's D was pretty respectable. Shanny chose to rebuild the offense first, and had it where he wanted it. The untimely death of an emerging star CB opposite Champ sure didn't help either.

Everyone rides that 1 playoff win line too much. Just how many franchise playoff wins did Denver have before Elway got here? (2). That was in 24 years. STFU with that. Making the playoffs and doing something when you get there is harder than you think.

We were in the mix after losing multiple HOF'ers from our B2B championship teams. Unlike KFC, Denver never opened a season during that period with the fans thinking we had no shot, unlike the 2 years when Your Boy Josh was here. Vegas oddsmakers backed up that perception. Denver was always veiwed as a threat during that period.

WTF did Lenny Walls ever do to you? Both walls and Herndon were undrafted FA's. WTF do you want from them? They both hung around a few years on other NFL squads after leaving Denver.

Funny also that you ride the 2nd in yards 16th in points remark. Everyone who does that ignores the 8 RB's we had on IR that year. You know what you need in the Red Zone? A RB to punch it in.

You sir/madame post like a fan from another team. Calling yourself a Bronco fan is what is laughable.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #350
CEH
Ring of Famer

I tend to agree. Denver was never really a "viable" Super Bowl contender post '98.

All the playoff games on the road were not even competitive. Enjoyable maybe but a "viable" Super Bowl contender I would say no

Just cruise over to the Tebowmaina vs ManningMania thread to see how the arguments change depending on what you want to argue. In Shanny's case just getting to the playoffs as a wildcard team and never being competitive in any game on the road is OK but many to wait and see how the 2012 season turns out to decide which year is more enjoyable most likely because Denver was able to secure a home playoff game before being exposed on the road.

Even John Lynch said the 2005 season was "smoke and mirrors"
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=91651

I would expect a 13-3 team to build upon 2005 but

2006 - Lost to the 6 win 49ers at home with a chance to go to the playoffs
2007 - Missed playoffs
2008 - Epic 3 game lead blown and a loss to the 6 win Bills team at home followed by what Shanny knew was a compete mismatch and 52 point beatdown in SD

So depending on how you want to judge a team defines Shanny's success post '98

Getting into the playoffs is enjoyable . Getting "blowed out" is not and I know Elway and Bowlen are not in this for the fun of it
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote