The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #51
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupesdad View Post
it's both ankles, his back, his right arm, his fathers left and right shoulders and assorted bruises, c-sections, and tumors in his neighborhood.
Rub some god damn 'tussin on it and get the hell out there. Mission not yet accomplished.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #52
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
May I offer a ads of caution. Back in the days of yore. 1996 Denver was ranked top ten in both offense and defense. With a second seed and first round bye on the playoffs, THE EFFFFFFFFFFING JACKSONVILLE JAGOFFS CAME TO MILE HIGH AND KICKED OUR ASSES! Guys this isn't baseball where stats came help predict the future. This is football and it bounces fun sometimes. Besides stats have a way of trucking you sometimes. Look at last year. We faced the number one pass defense in Pitt. Yet teebs passed 316 yards on them. Why? Pitt had to stack the box and left their corners one on one. Then there was the Pats last ranked pass defense. Considering Pats had a powerful offense other teams fell behind often. This forced other teams to pass on them more often resulting in giving up more yards. But you guys know all this. All I'm saying is each game is its own chess match not a continuation of a single match.
Teams that finish 13-3 also have lost 9 of the last 12 first round playoff games. Or something like that. Denver finished 13-3 in 1996 as well.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #53
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Rub some god damn 'tussin on it and get the hell out there. Mission not yet accomplished.
in the old days they just rubbed dirt on it!!
Old 12-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #54
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Teams that finish 13-3 also have lost 9 of the last 12 first round playoff games. Or something like that. Denver finished 13-3 in 1996 as well.
I'm a Libra. What's your point?
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #55
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
I'm a Libra. What's your point?
I would start at the beginning, but I think I need to go farther back.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #56
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
I would start at the beginning, but I think I need to go farther back.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:45 AM   #57
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
You know that's not super surprising. 13-3 almost always gets you a bye week, and those divisional games are usually really competitive. That's why I refuse to acknowledge a bye-week team as being "one and done", it's something better than that.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:23 AM   #58
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Does anyone think this team looks as dominant as the 96 team? the 97 team? the 98 team?
This team is definitely better than the 96' team. 97' & 98'? That's going to be tough to argue. I think Manning is better than Elway BUT, Elway could still move and escape and make you pay with his legs. Manning is a statue, albeit a damn great one. Running game goes to 97'/98' Broncos. TD was the best player in the league at that time. I think those teams were stronger at WR, TE, and OL as well. DT is good, but Rod and Ed were great in all faucets of the game and never dropped passes. They weren't as soft as Decker either. Our OL this year is just ok.

The defense this year is legitimately better than those previous years but we did have some great players on those teams. Push comes to shove, I think the 97'/98' Broncos team beats this years team, reason being is the running game. I think those defenses would take away our paltry threat in KM, and this year's team has only been tested slightly in the run game. We got flat out exposed vs. NE though. Every other time, they have played with the lead. I saw Cleveland gash us a few times. The positive news is Manning most likely will give us a lead in future games, so that could continue to be concealed.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #59
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
it's both ankles, his back, his right arm, his fathers left and right shoulders and assorted bruises, c-sections, and tumors in his neighborhood.
Just noticed this.
I was afraid that it was more than the Friday injury report was saying.
Thanks for the update yoi have been a good poster and you give us the real stuff when you can.

Let all hope he can get back on the field soon with all his skill. Without it he should stay back and heal up.

I've always been a long term planner and we need him back at damned near full strength down the road. Coming back to soon could cause permanent damage.

Let hope he is with us for the next decade as a starter.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #60
SeedReaver
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
I'm going to tell all my friends that my 'inside source' on Kuper says he has lingering issues from a secret c-section from years ago.
SeedReaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #61
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It's difficult to compare the '96 - '98 team to this one. I would say on offense the 90's team was better at pretty much every position. QB is a wash, but OL was miles better, TD vs. KM? lol. WR is one spot the current team may be better at. On defense though, I'd give the nod to this year's squad as a unit, but I think the DL of Neil Smith, Alfred Williams, Trevor Pryce and Keith Traylor were a much better group than what we currently have to offer.

Lastly, the '96 team was a lot better than it gets credit for. People are (my self included) just too bitter about the JAX game which makes it hard to look objectively at what they accomplished during the regular season. In the end, the current team will suffer that same fate if they don't win the SB.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #62
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
WR is one spot the current team may be better at.
Sorry but I'd take Rod Smith and McCaffrey over DT and Decker. Mainly due to having much more reliable hands.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #63
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It is so great having a defense that can actually make stops and help win the battle of field position. It's been years since that was really the case and having a strong pass rush is also a welcome thing too. The bye weeks are tricky in that some teams lose momentum and do not get it back and come out flat in their first game and it costs them.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #64
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
something I have been saying all year..
Dude, you say this **** before every game! You don't ever come out and feel confident before a game. You think that we have a trap game or we cant be confident yet we have won 10 games in a row.
Why don't you let us know how you feel about the Chiefs game?
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #65
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Well the question was 'as dominant as' so you need not compare the teams to one another but rather decide if they dominate the rest of the teams in the league to the degree the 96/97/98 teams dominated the teams of their era.
Our division was better then and I believe we had less weaknesses in 96-98. We added Neil Smith to put any doubt of how superior that team was in that time. We might not have had the DT back then but Sharpe made up for that as the H Back.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #66
TonyR
Franchise Poster

#1 overall at Advanced NFL Stats (#3 offese, #3 defense)

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2012...s-week-17.html
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #67
TonyR
Franchise Poster

#2 at Football Outsiders (#2 offense, #6 defense)

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvo...6-dvoa-ratings
Old 12-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #68
TonyR
Franchise Poster

#3 Sagarin

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nfl12.htm
Old 12-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #69
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

For what it's worth we were not SB favorites in 96 and we were 14 points underdog to GB in 97. We were favored in 98 all the way.

As far as dominating I would say this Manning lead team is more dominating than the 96 & 97 team but not as complete as the 98 team the difference being TD and Sharpe but this year's defense is playing better. I keep expecting for them to fall back to earth but they haven't.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #70
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
For what it's worth we were not SB favorites in 96 and we were 14 points underdog to GB in 97. We were favored in 98 all the way.

We absolutely were SB favorites in 96, at least to the extent of being expected to get there. We were far and away the best team in the AFC and secured the No. 1 seed. We had destroyed eventual AFC Champ NE in NE by the score of something like 34-8 (and it could have been alot worse), that was ofcourse the famous Sharpe "Call the President because we're killing the Patriots" game. We were THE team in the AFC that year. It is unclear if we would have been favored against GB had we advanced to SBXXXI. They had beaten us pretty badly in GB earlier that season but we had rested alot of key personnel in that game because we already secured the top seed, (including Elway) so that result wasnt really indicative of anything..

GB didn't exactly throttle a weak NE team and we had absolutely destroyed them in their place earlier. Had we defeated JAX, I would have felt pretty confident about winning the title that year. We were absolutely favored to get to the big day at the very least.

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #71
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
We absolutely were SB favorites in 96, at least to the extent of being expected to get there. We were far and away the best team in the AFC and secured the No. 1 seed. We had destroyed eventual AFC Champ NE in NE by the score of something like 34-8 (and it could have been alot worse), that was ofcourse the famous Sharpe "Call the President because we're killing the Patriots" game. We were THE team in the AFC that year. It is unclear if we would have been favored against GB had we advanced to SBXXXI. They had beaten us pretty badly in GB earlier that season but we had rested alot of key personnel in that game because we already secured the top seed, (including Elway) so that result wasnt really indicative of anything..

GB didn't exactly throttle a weak NE team and we had absolutely destroyed them in their place earlier. Had we defeated JAX, I would have felt pretty confident about winning the title that year. We were absolutely favored to get to the big day at the very least.

The 1996 Green Bay Packers were 14 point favorites in the SB. They would have been the favorites over the Broncos as well.

The 2012 Broncos are currently the favorites to win the Super Bowl.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:35 PM   #72
extralife
Ring of Famer

no way in hell this team is better than '98. that's the most underrated team in modern NFL history. at no point was I ever in doubt of that team winning the super bowl. the 97 team was obviously almost the same, they are better in retrospect than they were then. and the 97 playoff road was supremely difficult
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #73
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
The 1996 Green Bay Packers were 14 point favorites in the SB. They would have been the favorites over the Broncos as well.

The 2012 Broncos are currently the favorites to win the Super Bowl.
we may be the favorites statically, but I'd bet you the world we won't be favored by more than the home spread (3 points) against NE in round 2, should it come to pass.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:01 AM   #74
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Broncos were outright disrespected by every talking head on every network going into that Superbowl in 97 vs the Packers. It was outright Broncos have no chance and will get blown out again. I was in Vegas the week before the Superbowl and the Superbowl bets i made paid for the trip when Broncos won the next week. I remember people laughing at me as i bet the Broncos to win straight up.

Then they came around the next yr and most picked us to beat the Falcons. What is funny is that a lot still picked falcons. They still refused to believe they Broncos at that point were unbelievabley good. Count up the HOF and pro bowlers and it gets silly.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:49 AM   #75
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Broncos were outright disrespected by every talking head on every network going into that Superbowl in 97 vs the Packers. It was outright Broncos have no chance and will get blown out again. I was in Vegas the week before the Superbowl and the Superbowl bets i made paid for the trip when Broncos won the next week. I remember people laughing at me as i bet the Broncos to win straight up.

Then they came around the next yr and most picked us to beat the Falcons. What is funny is that a lot still picked falcons. They still refused to believe they Broncos at that point were unbelievabley good. Count up the HOF and pro bowlers and it gets silly.
Word!

I remember a Pack fan telling me the game was fixed! ****in sore loser!
I didn't know a single Broncos fan that thought we wouldn't win that game.
Broncos4Life is offline   Reply With Quote