The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #51
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Nolan in weeks 1-8 fields top 10 defenses pretty much every year.
Weeks 9-16? Bottom 10.

I wouldn't go near him if I was looking for a DC.
You do know the last 8 weeks was when McDumbass effectively took over the defense away from Nolan, right?
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #52
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
He also threw his OC under the bus in a post-game press conference and had rampant speculation about him doing bankers hours during the week that last season. I doubt everyone will just chalk that up to the front office sucking.

Del Rio mentally checked out on the Jags, Fox never did that to the Panthers, that burns bridges.
That's not speculation. Definite fact.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #53
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

What we haven't really hit on is how having Manning, a players type HC, a great city, stadium and loyal fans is going to help attract FA and maybe keep coaches longer. Del Rio may be sticking around just because he knows Manning makes his job easy. But next offseason Broncos will no longer be asking FA to come visit, or be used to bump up the price of another team.

Vets are going to be asking to come play for the Broncos you watch. If Bowlen was smart he wouldn't waste any time jumping on the best FA next offseason. It makes sense because we will be drafting low.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #54
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
What we haven't really hit on is how having Manning, a players type HC, a great city, stadium and loyal fans is going to help attract FA and maybe keep coaches longer. Del Rio may be sticking around just because he knows Manning makes his job easy. But next offseason Broncos will no longer be asking FA to come visit, or be used to bump up the price of another team.

Vets are going to be asking to come play for the Broncos you watch. If Bowlen was smart he wouldn't waste any time jumping on the best FA next offseason. It makes sense because we will be drafting low.
I would think FAs would look at Elway first. Manning is only here for a few more years at best. Elway is here longer. Players see the broncos record and realize it has something to do with Elway too. So far he's done a fabulous job and players see that. They want money, but they also want to be around a winning atmosphere.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #55
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
I would think FAs would look at Elway first. Manning is only here for a few more years at best. Elway is here longer. Players see the broncos record and realize it has something to do with Elway too. So far he's done a fabulous job and players see that. They want money, but they also want to be around a winning atmosphere.
I think I did say vets. My thinking is a lot of great FA only have 2-3 prime yrs left and they want to win. Most prime FA already made money and now just want a fair shot at winning. Sure some of the ones who have yet to get a big payday most likely only care about what team has enough cap room.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #56
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
I think I did say vets. My thinking is a lot of great FA only have 2-3 prime yrs left and they want to win. Most prime FA already made money and now just want a fair shot at winning. Sure some of the ones who have yet to get a big payday most likely only care about what team has enough cap room.
Oh I see. That happens alot in basketball. It's kind of sporadic in the NFL. I don't see alot if interest of big time FA wanting to go to NE or some other elite teams. Course I don't see those teams trying to lure big time FAs too. Cashing in is the top priority. But if I were a WR id want to go to a team with a great QB. Or an RB I'd want a powerful Oline. Etc
Old 12-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #57
orange skier
Who is Josh McDaniels ?

Protect "The Neck"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Alex Gibbs

The Bronco nation puts it's trust in John Elway. NFL exec of the year. Johnny Bronco may want to keep him, he may want to send him down the road. I trust his decision. If he wants to keep him, he can make it happen. All it takes is $$$$$$$$
orange skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #58
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Oh I see. That happens alot in basketball. It's kind of sporadic in the NFL. I don't see alot if interest of big time FA wanting to go to NE or some other elite teams. Course I don't see those teams trying to lure big time FAs too. Cashing in is the top priority. But if I were a WR id want to go to a team with a great QB. Or an RB I'd want a powerful Oline. Etc
I guess i am more thinking about how Elway when he was QB could go lobby for us and have pull. I think we are set up well to cash in brother. Especially on TE, WR, RB that know manning can help their careers.

Your right though its not just manning. The Broncos went from dysfunction junction to the harmony train. Hell already Elway has our organization back to being one other teams will want to copy. Recently I felt a lot of FA came to Denver with no real plan to sign unless our offer was more money the the other team. I feel like with Manning, and like you said Elway, and a coach that players like, we are going to have our pick of FA.

True NE doesn't make a lot of splashes but some of their big ones paid off big. Corey Dillon comes to mind. Thats just the type of FA i see Denver being able to lure. A player with something left in the tank that want to win.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #59
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Hope many of you are right. I think he's
Long gone. Too many head coaching jobs
Coming open.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #60
Boltjolt
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Our defense is #2 in sacks and #2 against the run, which is nothing short of a remarkable turnaround considering where we were over the last several years. IMO, one of the most important components of this team is Del Rio coordinating the D.

He's also sure to be a head coaching candidate, and even though he had a pretty poor experience in Jacksonville, it would be tough for him to turn down the top job.

What do you think the team needs to do to lock him up, at least for a couple more years?
You could give him a 20 year contract. Wont matter if a team wants to interview him for a HC possition...and they could hire him. No team blocks those opportunities for coaches to move up to be a HC.

That said, i certainly wouldnt want him to be the HC of our team. Some guys are just good cordinators and we finally are getting rid of one of those who is a crap HC.
Boltjolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #61
Boltjolt
Ring of Famer

Quote:
There are many who just want the money and you cant blame them. The average NFL career is short. Mario Williams picked money and is losing again in Buffalo. We had been winning and Vince Jackson took the highest bidder.

You never know what players have as a priority for themselves but most of them take the cash.
Boltjolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #62
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

don't see Del Rio being a HC again anytime soon.
he was seen as a great coordinator but apparently didn't like all the things that being a HC entailed near the end of his tenure in Jacksonville.

if he's still disillusioned by that experience it will be some time before he goes back to being a HC if at all.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #63
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

We don't need McCoy IMO. Del Rio more important. Manning could go instantly to our o coord when he retires lol. Still I'd like to see staff stick together like they used to.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #64
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

JDR has done great things with this defense, but its also true that besides the talent ungrade the last two years .. and the rookies from last year playing much better now in their second seasons ... one of the main reasons for our inproved D performance and stats is a better ball control offense that can score in the red zone after long drives.

Out D is getting MUCH more rest this year in games .. particularly in the second half of games which is a major boost to their overall level of play and giving up generally less busted long plays ... though still a few too many during garbage time when we have more or less locked the game away.

Nevertheless, I'm 100% behind locking up JDR whatever it takes if we can.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #65
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

IIRC there is a NFL limit on what coordinators are paid.. not so with head coaches..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #66
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
IIRC there is a NFL limit on what coordinators are paid.. not so with head coaches..
No ****? I had no idea a team was capped on what they could pay an asst coach. That is pure BS IMO.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:18 AM   #67
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltjolt View Post
We had been winning and Vince Jackson took the highest bidder.

You never know what players have as a priority for themselves but most of them take the cash.
No. You guys were 8-8 last year.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:02 AM   #68
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
No ****? I had no idea a team was capped on what they could pay an asst coach. That is pure BS IMO.
Why? The uber rich teams would pay them so much they would never leave to go else where.

If that were the case would you want to compete with WaS or DAL for JDR?

IIRC it is part of their collective bargaining agreement they have with the NFL.

Part of being unionized.

I seem to remember Bobby T wanted to take a lateral move to the skins and they had to give him a promotion to assistant HC to free him up from his contract in Den. As a position coach, it was part of that conversation when I heard they had a wage scale.

I suspect that it increases with longevity and their is a COL provision so those living in a high rent area like NYC vs BUF they would not starve.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:18 AM   #69
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
You do know the last 8 weeks was when McDumbass effectively took over the defense away from Nolan, right?
Even if I concede that point, which isn't a fact (it was freaking week 14 when we played Indy and McD supposedly took over.....waaaaaay past week 8 and only after we gave up 30, 28, 27 and 32 pts in consecutive weeks), you're talking about one year in a long career. Nolan's been around for a long time and the same thing has happened to him every year, every place he's been.

Last edited by Beantown Bronco; 12-22-2012 at 06:21 AM..
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #70
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

Del Rio has done an incredible job with this D. I don't think the talent on the roster is equal to the performance on the field, so JDR gets tremendous credit for that.

Still, as much as I would like to see him stick around, I wouldn't necessarily tie the future of this franchise to him. There is nothing in experience in JAX to suggest he can lead this team down the road. He's a great coordinator, and leave it at that. Let some other team recycle him as a HC and tread water.
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #71
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Assistant Head Coach.....
Haha! I was going to say that when I saw this thread, "just pull Shanahan, and make him assistant head coach".
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #72
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/M...ccess-26726989

''When you're a young guy and you haven't been there, the urgency and desire to get that opportunity is such that you'd take just about any job given to you,'' said Del Rio, who was in charge in Jacksonville for nine seasons. ''I don't feel that way now. If there's something that fits and the right situation comes along, so be it. But in the meantime, I'm all in, 100 percent as a lieutenant on this staff. I'm somebody that John Fox, John Elway ... and the players can count on. I'm 100 percent invested in helping them be their best.''

Old 12-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #73
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Lock him up ASAP. I'm sure Elway is on it.
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #74
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I say JDR statys because the odds of a team losing 2 DC's in back to back years as the result of them becoming HC's, I don't think is great. The odds say JDR stays.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #75
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk idiot kicker View Post
btw- **** off.

moderator note: intentionally circumventing the language filter in order to show a filtered word in an unfiltered form is grounds for a temporary ban.

From the Forum Guidelines thread (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=105484) :

Language Filters: Language filters are put in place to help damper vulgarity. Feel free to let fly, but donít bypass the language filters with creative spellings or symbols. Even with the filters in place, people can easily figure out what you are trying to say, so just say it. If you must swear, let the language filters do their job, and let the posters fill in the blanks where the language you want to convey is concerned. "
Lol! Dayyum!
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote