The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default Denver Broncos' coordinator Jack Del Rio showcases Jack-of-all-trades defensive style

Jack Del Rio finally did it.
He is finally coaching a team that is getting the better of Peyton Manning. Del Rio had to join him to one-up him, if not exactly beat him. The Broncos' defense coordinated by Del Rio has been outperforming the Broncos' offense quarterbacked by Manning.
With two regular-season games remaining, Denver's defense has pulled off the rare double of ranking No. 2 in the NFL in stopping the run and ranking No. 2 in sacks.
Some defenses are built to stop the run. Other defenses can rush the quarterback. Name another defense that can do both as well as Del Rio's defense.
"He's the wizard," said Von Miller, the best player on the Broncos' defense.
And to show there's no hard feelings, Del Rio's defense has directly accounted for 46 points on six touchdown returns and two safeties. Without those points, the Broncos would rank eighth in scoring instead of second.
"This isn't about me," Del Rio said in quick, reflexive correction. "This should be about we."
Nationally, the general feeling is the Broncos are a Super Bowl contender because of Manning. That is not the full truth. The reason the Broncos may have a legitimate chance to win it all is they have Manning on one side of the ball and a defense that may be even better on the other side of the ball.
After all those years of beating Del Rio the head coach, Manning is happy that Del Rio is his team's defensive coordinator. In Del Rio's eight full seasons, from 2003-10, as head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars, he competed in the same AFC South Division as Manning's Indianapolis Colts.
Manning's Colts won the division title all eight years.
"This is his defense here," Manning said. "I think what Jack's doing here with the defense is kind of unique. I think he's kind of implemented some of the ... it's kind of his stuff, I think. It doesn't look like Jacksonville's, I'll say that."
"Reality of football"
The evolution of the Broncos' defense has been a two-year process. First, Denver head coach John Fox, whose background was almost completely steeped in defense, took a 2010 unit that ranked last in nearly every category and raised it to at least the level of mediocrity a year ago.
And that was without the offseason to implement his defense because of the NFL lockout. One of Fox's first moves this year was to hire Del Rio as defensive coordinator, after Dennis Allen got the Oakland Raiders' head coaching job, and together they came up with multiple fronts and disguised coverages. They use over fronts (which are aligned toward the tight end) and under sink (which is similar to a 3-4 alignment). There is Sam (strongside linebacker) on the line closed, Sam stacked closed, Sam on the line open, Sam stacked closed. They will shade the defensive tackles this way or that way. But that's complicated chalkboard-in-the-classroom stuff.
"On paper, every team has a blocking scheme that's going to work against every defensive scheme," said Denver defensive tackle Justin Bannan. "But then there's the reality of football. Jack understands the reality of football."
It's well documented that Del Rio is the Broncos' seventh defensive coordinator in seven years, but he also is the only one who played in the NFL.
"That's one of the best things about him," said Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey. "He understands we're not robots. He has a way that he wants things done. But he'll tell you: 'You know what I want. You make it happen.' "
Explained Del Rio: "There might be a guy in front of you who's a little short on a block. And on the blackboard his assignment is to be here and you're going to be there. But if a guy is a little short on a block, you might have to scrape past to make the play. This an overall awareness and understanding of how it all ties together.
"There will be instances where we'll give a guy a freedom to do something, but there's somebody covering for him. It's not haphazard. It's not without discipline. It's not without accountability."

Read more: Denver Broncos' coordinator Jack Del Rio showcases Jack-of-all-trades defensive style - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz2Ffluw5tJ
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
Bacchus

That's a great article, I hate to see him one and done.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Be sure to read the rest of the article.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Be sure to read the rest of the article.
Um, I prefer to make snap decisions based on the thread title without reading articles, their sources and just assume the content is gospel, thank you. Especially if it something posted from Rant Sports or bleacher report.

Now then, I wish to complain about how this clearly shows Del Rio has not mastered any one area of defense and leaves us exposed to gout and uric acid.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Um, I prefer to make snap decisions based on the thread title without reading articles, their sources and just assume the content is gospel, thank you. Especially if it something posted from Rant Sports or bleacher report.

Now then, I wish to complain about how this clearly shows Del Rio has not mastered any one area of defense and leaves us exposed to gout and uric acid.
Who's talkin to you?
Old 12-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Who's talkin to you?
You're just mad because we all have gout thanks to Del Rio.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

pretty decent article even if it is from the post.. used to get most of my info from there but most of their writers are for crap now.. Legwold is the best of the worst..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Good article. Thanks. I hope Del Rio sticks around, not just to keep coaching the Broncos D, but to have some input in the draft as well. Let him pick us a MLB.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Honestly baja, if we wanted to read every sport article from the denverpost, wouldn't we just go there to read it instead of coming to orange mane to read your repost? Why do you do this every day? Makes no sense at all.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
delany
Uber Bronco

Thanks for posting Dragondawg!
delany is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #11
DAN_BRONCO_FAN
Ring of Famer

weed will win

Adopt-a-Bronco:
miles

is this defense the best in bronco history? i dont recall seeing so many points scored by the defense what is the record for points scored by the defense ? not set up for scoring but actually getting a int or a fumble and returning it for 6, and where can i see the stats my self year by year?
DAN_BRONCO_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #12
Drek
Ring of Famer

My favorite quote:
Quote:
"I don't need to worry about blocking Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis anymore," Del Rio said, referring to the Colts' longtime bookend pass rushers. "I don't have to worry about getting MoJo (Maurice Jones-Drew) his touches so we can keep Peyton on the sideline."
Hints that maybe he's not real excited to give jump back in to the HC ordeal again and take a step further away from defense, which is clearly his passion.

Seriously, think about Del Rio, a former NFL linebacker, now being financially independent thanks to his lucrative Jax contract (still paying him $5M this year). Think about him coming here to Denver and getting to do nothing but focus on not just football strategy (which a HC doesn't get to do) but strictly defensive strategy. Imagine this former linebacker now getting to coach VON MILLER.

I mean, you don't get to where Del Rio is without an alpha dog personality and always wanting to climb the next mountain, but who's to say he even sees being a HC as a mountain he cares to climb anymore? With Miller he can coach an elite talent into a HoF career. With this club he can coach a Super Bowl winning defense if he sticks around. There are a lot of reasons why he might not even be interested in another HC gig, even if the entire league comes calling.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #13
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Honestly baja, if we wanted to read every sport article from the denverpost, wouldn't we just go there to read it instead of coming to orange mane to read your repost? Why do you do this every day? Makes no sense at all.
Because it makes me happy ;-)

...and sometimes it makes for a good start point for a decent discussion.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #14
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
My favorite quote:

Hints that maybe he's not real excited to give jump back in to the HC ordeal again and take a step further away from defense, which is clearly his passion.

Seriously, think about Del Rio, a former NFL linebacker, now being financially independent thanks to his lucrative Jax contract (still paying him $5M this year). Think about him coming here to Denver and getting to do nothing but focus on not just football strategy (which a HC doesn't get to do) but strictly defensive strategy. Imagine this former linebacker now getting to coach VON MILLER.

I mean, you don't get to where Del Rio is without an alpha dog personality and always wanting to climb the next mountain, but who's to say he even sees being a HC as a mountain he cares to climb anymore? With Miller he can coach an elite talent into a HoF career. With this club he can coach a Super Bowl winning defense if he sticks around. There are a lot of reasons why he might not even be interested in another HC gig, even if the entire league comes calling.
Plus he is working for Fox. "Hey John I want to play Von all over the field"

"Well sure Jack whatever you think go for it. The defense is your baby. BTW are we still playing poker Monday night?"
Old 12-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #15
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Plus he is working for Fox. "Hey John I want to play Von all over the field"

"Well sure Jack whatever you think go for it. The defense is your baby. BTW are we still playing poker Monday night?"
Fox seems like he would be a very easy guy to work for.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #16
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Until the play well against Brady they are nothing yet. He has out number and we are going to have to get over that hump.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #17
orangeatheist
Champion of the Godless

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Until the play well against Brady they are nothing yet. He has out number and we are going to have to get over that hump.
In due time...in due time, my friend.
orangeatheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #18
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeatheist View Post
In due time...in due time, my friend.
I hope so man i ****ing hate him. I have never even come close to hating a player as much as brady. I'd wish his neck broke but I guess we aren't supposed to do that anymore so I won't. If this defense got over on brady I would be ready to say we are winning the Superbowl. Patriots the only team that scares me. I think we play Housten again and could take it to them.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #19
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
It is simple really, he finds a good article on the Post and he brings it here for us to discuss. Not a tough concept. Under your logic If we like a Post article we would all have to go to the Denver Post message board to discuss it.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #20
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

i think the relationship with Fox and his ability to be essentially the head coach of the defense without having to focus on the overall scope of the game is highly appealing to him.
really excited to see JDR here and doing well.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote