The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #26
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
True, but how many times has Wade been a HC?
Wade Phillips has only been hired from one team's DC position to another team's HC position once, FYI. When he left SD to go to Dallas. In both NO and ATL he was the interim HC after being the DC for a fired coach. In both Denver and Buffalo he was the DC for several years before getting bumped up to HC.

Del Rio probably has to distance himself from the massive 2011 collapse of the Jags before he's a real strong target.

I'd imagine that teams interested in the DC > HC kind of hire will likely go after Vic Fangio before they want to give Del Rio a second time around.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #27
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Wade Phillips has only been hired from one team's DC position to another team's HC position once, FYI. When he left SD to go to Dallas. In both NO and ATL he was the interim HC after being the DC for a fired coach. In both Denver and Buffalo he was the DC for several years before getting bumped up to HC.

Del Rio probably has to distance himself from the massive 2011 collapse of the Jags before he's a real strong target.

I'd imagine that teams interested in the DC > HC kind of hire will likely go after Vic Fangio before they want to give Del Rio a second time around.
The thing is they know the front office he had sucked, so there will be some willingness to look past those failings. Look at Fox. He had the worst record in the league and went right into another head coaching gig.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #28
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
The thing is they know the front office he had sucked, so there will be some willingness to look past those failings. Look at Fox. He had the worst record in the league and went right into another head coaching gig.
There you go.

He was a head coach for 8 years in Jax. You don't stay around for 8 years (or 10 in Fox's case) if you have zero success.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #29
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

would Nolan be a hotter candidate than Del Rio? He's done good things as a DC in multiple stops and is further removed from his HC stint.
mwill07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #30
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
Fox has said this will be his last head coaching stop in the NFL. I would like to see them work out a deal with Del Rio where he's promised the HC gig once Fox decides to hang 'em up.

That way he can build into the process and keep a lot of continuity. It may seem a bit far fetched but I really feel as though that is an ideal scenario for everyone involved.
This is the ticket! Pay JDR at near Head coach levels now with Assistant HC or Co-HC .. whatever he and Fox will be happy with and dangle the keys to the full deal as sole HC when Fox hangs it up.

its clear both coaches like stability and want most of all to win! JDR would have to be going solely for the money to jump ship early for some bottom feeder when he has at least a few excellent years with both Peyton and Von Miller to continue excelling around.

Both he and Fox have been long term HCs already. I can imagine what they both want most of all now is to win it all! Starting from scratch with a loser is a very high risk low probability deal for winning Super Bowls anytime soon.

But with what we have brewing now, even if we don't win it all this year ... is a VERY solid team that may be just a couple players away from being truly dominate in all three phases all season long next year and the few there after.

JDR is NOT going to find any place at all with a Peyton, 'DTBlack & Decker', Clady-Orlando-Beadles-Healthy Kuper and with a solid run game already in place and starting to really gel ... PLUS a Von-Doom-Wolfe-Woody-Champ-Harris- and vastly improved up and coming Rahim Moore ( not to mention getting Quinton Carter back next year at safety.

A solid kicking game and overall Special teams to boot.

He would be crazy to move now even for a HC job which he will have his pick of anyway after we win one or two SBs .. or even just go deep into the playoffs a couple years in a row which seems highly likely at the least.

I also think JDR really loves Colorado from his comments and his sons success in HS football here. Why root it all up now on a flyer when he and his family are still getting settled in with some also ran team that needs a ton of work and he will have that kind of stress and crap he didn't like at Jacksonville again.

Here, Jack has one of the better owner-ships and FO in the NFL. adn with Elway in addition to Peyton Von and the rest as a major magnet for attracting and drawing in the most talented FAs over the next couple of years .. just give him a healthy raise now and an Assistant HC-Defense title so it cant be about the money and status alone and then promise the whole team when Foxy decides to ride off into the sunset ... assuming he continues to excel as D coordinator ... and that should do the trick.

I think Fox would be fine with that as well. He is still the final call as far as on the field goes and is the lead voice of the team, but he too has nothing left to prove to anyone but winning a SB or two and what better way to do that than insure stability and consistency with an already proven winning formula!?

They all seem like great friends and long time colleagues so what is not to like?!

Go for it Elway/Bowlen .. make it happen and watch this team become the Pats of the 2000 decade for this next decade .. particularly if Brock develops into a wunderkind after a few years of up close tutelage at Manning University!

Last edited by Hulamau; 12-21-2012 at 10:37 AM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #31
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
I bet you thought Allen would stay too. JDR is a alot better HC option then Allen was. I expect JDR to move on. If he stays I'll be thrilled.
JDR may also have reason to be a lot choosier about where his next head coaching gig was for this very reason. Allen was leaving a team with a conundrum at the QB position and he had every reason to jump at his first head coaching opportunity. JDR was the head coach at Jax for 9 years and he's now in a situation where there's a real 3-4 year window for contending for a title, something he has never won (he left the Cowboys as a player right before they won 3 of 4 Super Bowls). He may not be in such a hurry to find himself back in the sort of situation he was with in Jax.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #32
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Nothing. We can't offer him anything better than he's got already. If he wants to be a HC again he will.
Pretty much this. Hollow titles, like assistant HC, are for protecting up and coming coaches. Del Rio will leave if he wants to, and there's nothing we can do about it, really, other than to hope he wants to take a few years off from the head gig.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #33
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I think the personnel Del Rio has here is also a consideration. It would likely take him quite a bit of time to put together a defense (let alone an offense) as good as what he has to work with in Denver.
He wouldn't be a trendsetter if he did take off. They are like the Spinal Tap drummer.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #34
Agamemnon

Nothing you can do other than hope he wants to take some time off from being a HC. He really would be a fool to jump back into another bad situation after the way his Jacksonville tenure ended. So hopefully he doesn't just jump at the first offer thrown his way.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #35
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie View Post
I think the promise of HC of the Future is not usually a good thing. Creates weird politics in the coaching ranks, players, etc... See Holmgren and Mora in Seattle a couple of years ago. That was a horrid disaster for that organization.

Best recommendation was ensure a super quality organization bent on winning a couple of super bowls and the hope that he wants to plant here for a bit and be a key part of that with a name your price option at the end of it. Or better yet he takes the Joe Collier approach and decides he wants to be a DC for the rest of his career.

Finally, what's to say that he would be a good HC here. He was not in Jacksonville. Lots of amazing coordinators or coaches who made really bad head coaches. Wade Phillips is a classic example as well as the aforementioned Collier.
add Dick Labeua (sp) in PIT and there was Jim Jones in PHL there Defenses are superb and they get loads of recognition and even more respect..

and one hell of a lot less stress.. as his comments were in the article in today's DP.. he does not have to worry about how many carries his RB gets..etc..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #36
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
would Nolan be a hotter candidate than Del Rio? He's done good things as a DC in multiple stops and is further removed from his HC stint.
Nolan in weeks 1-8 fields top 10 defenses pretty much every year.
Weeks 9-16? Bottom 10.

I wouldn't go near him if I was looking for a DC.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #37
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
True, but how many times has Wade been a HC?
Three and it took damn near a decade of being one of the best defensive football minds in the league.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #38
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

We locked him up (back to the future) the moment we put John Elway in charge. WTF do you think PFM came here anyway?!?

but, pay the man!!!!!!!!

(so much easier to say pay the man, when it's a coach not a player)
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #39
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Three and it took damn near a decade of being one of the best defensive football minds in the league.
btw- **** off.

moderator note: intentionally circumventing the language filter in order to show a filtered word in an unfiltered form is grounds for a temporary ban.

From the Forum Guidelines thread (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=105484) :

Language Filters: Language filters are put in place to help damper vulgarity. Feel free to let fly, but donít bypass the language filters with creative spellings or symbols. Even with the filters in place, people can easily figure out what you are trying to say, so just say it. If you must swear, let the language filters do their job, and let the posters fill in the blanks where the language you want to convey is concerned. "

Last edited by Play2win; 12-21-2012 at 11:23 AM..
Old 12-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #40
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

one of the rumors has it his kid is going to Bama as a walk on and there seemed to be some interest in him going back to college coaching there..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #41
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk idiot kicker View Post
btw- ****off.
5 star post.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #42
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Del Rio will be a HC again for sure. But I think he got burnt out on it the last few seasons in Jacksonville. I think he is ours at least 1 more year maybe 2
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #43
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
5 star post.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #44
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
He also threw his OC under the bus in a post-game press conference and had rampant speculation about him doing bankers hours during the week that last season. I doubt everyone will just chalk that up to the front office sucking.

Del Rio mentally checked out on the Jags, Fox never did that to the Panthers, that burns bridges.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #45
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

I'd just offer him a big boost in salary. Something comparable to a HC.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #46
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Most of you have the right idea. Make him the highest paid assist. coach in the NFL, and then a little more for good measure, and then promise him the HC job when Fox retires after a SB or two.

Other than that, not a whole lot more you can do.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #47
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
I'd just offer him a big boost in salary. Something comparable to a HC.
I think the highest paid coordinators are making $1 mil. a year. The Broncos can easily double that. Heck, if they pay Joe Mays $4 mil., they can cut Mays and give Del Rio half that at least, maybe more.

Anyway, I am sure Fox and the league's Exec. of the Year are already talking about it.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #48
BroncsRule
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

doesn't his kid go to that Christian school that just won the 5A state title? And he's a Junior.

My money says Jack stays through next year because of that. We may well loose him next year though.
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #49
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncsRule View Post
doesn't his kid go to that Christian school that just won the 5A state title? And he's a Junior.

My money says Jack stays through next year because of that. We may well loose him next year though.
He's a senior and he's decided to walk on at Alabama.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #50
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
He also threw his OC under the bus in a post-game press conference and had rampant speculation about him doing bankers hours during the week that last season. I doubt everyone will just chalk that up to the front office sucking.

Del Rio mentally checked out on the Jags, Fox never did that to the Panthers, that burns bridges.
Well that cuts both ways. I'd heard that he was lazy too - going back three years. But then you have to let your coordinators do their job and not micromanage. If he did have a work ethic problem, is isn't showing up now. Or maybe under a more old-school, hard-nosed coach like Fox, he has the environment to push to get more out of Del Rio because of the culture he's set up here.

I don't know. I know that Norv freaking Turner after, flailing around with the Raiders, spent one season as the OC for the Niners and immediately was hired as the SD head coach. If Turner can get rehired, Del Rio can.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote