The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,689
Default Locking Up Del Rio

Our defense is #2 in sacks and #2 against the run, which is nothing short of a remarkable turnaround considering where we were over the last several years. IMO, one of the most important components of this team is Del Rio coordinating the D.

He's also sure to be a head coaching candidate, and even though he had a pretty poor experience in Jacksonville, it would be tough for him to turn down the top job.

What do you think the team needs to do to lock him up, at least for a couple more years?
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
Paladin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,293
Default

Assistant Head Coach.....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #3
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,121

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
What do you think the team needs to do to lock him up, at least for a couple more years?
Keep winning Super Bowls. Most teams need to fill their spots immediately and aren't willing to wait that long to fill that position. It's obviously not a guarantee that he'd remain "locked up", but it's as close as you can get to one.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

Nothing. We can't offer him anything better than he's got already. If he wants to be a HC again he will.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,317

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

I don't think you really can lock up coaches anymore. They are always going to have that clause where they can move into a higher position around the league if it's offered to them. It would be nice to throw money at him, but it would be no guarantee.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280
 
Broncos_OTM's Avatar
 
Broncos Over All

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,532

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

It would be dissappointing, strike while the irons hot. I have a gut feeling he'll be here a couple more years, provided we dont win the superbowl.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan
 
hades's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time
Posts: 2,156
Default

Easy. We need compromising photos we can use against him.
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
ScottXray
Opinionated A******
 
ScottXray's Avatar
 
We will NOT lose!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: PDX (Portland OR)
Posts: 5,252

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Our defense is #2 in sacks and #2 against the run, which is nothing short of a remarkable turnaround considering where we were over the last several years. IMO, one of the most important components of this team is Del Rio coordinating the D.

He's also sure to be a head coaching candidate, and even though he had a pretty poor experience in Jacksonville, it would be tough for him to turn down the top job.

What do you think the team needs to do to lock him up, at least for a couple more years?
The only way to lock him up is to make him Head coach, and or pay him as much as anyone else would at HC with a CO HC title.

He has done a fantastic job for us , and I'd hate to see him leave. The 7th DC in 7 years! We seem unable to keep one , either due to failure, or success.

We have to hope that he has been soured on that type of job for a while and he is satisfied to be where he's at for now. It would be great if he thought that his best role is as a DC, on a team that has a good owner, coach and GM. A super bowl run or two under his belt would also give him even more leverage with other teams, should he want the HC gig.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
It would be dissappointing, strike while the irons hot. I have a gut feeling he'll be here a couple more years, provided we dont win the superbowl.
I think he will be too. Del Rio didn't sound overly anxious to get back to a head coaching gig when he came here last year. Jacksonville was a complete mess for him, but paid him more than enough to live comfortably on.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if he's promised to be John Fox's heir apparent if he sticks around. He's 8 years younger, and Fox is already 57 years old.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:37 AM   #10
Kaylore
Shall we begin?
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
You should have let me sleep!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,855

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Keep winning Super Bowls. Most teams need to fill their spots immediately and aren't willing to wait that long to fill that position. It's obviously not a guarantee that he'd remain "locked up", but it's as close as you can get to one.
Exactly. Most teams won't wait until February for a guy. The combine is just a few weeks away, they'll want their staff totally assembled before then. If we can find a way to keep winning and go deep, it reduces the liklihood of our coaches getting poached.

I think McCoy is gone and I think Del Rio stays. I think Del Rio likes his job. I think McCoy will be a very good head coach - better than a coordinator. He sounds like a head coach.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #11
crush17
orange & blue
 
crush17's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 5,252

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!
Default

Fox has said this will be his last head coaching stop in the NFL. I would like to see them work out a deal with Del Rio where he's promised the HC gig once Fox decides to hang 'em up.

That way he can build into the process and keep a lot of continuity. It may seem a bit far fetched but I really feel as though that is an ideal scenario for everyone involved.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #12
Ratboy
It's all over...
 
Ratboy's Avatar
 
ಠ_ಠ

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 15,016
Default

I don't see JDR taking off after one season. It would have to be one incredible offer, but I think he digs less responsibility as a DC.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #13
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,005

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Pull the old Shanny, "Assistant Head Coach" move.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #14
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,689
Default

I think the personnel Del Rio has here is also a consideration. It would likely take him quite a bit of time to put together a defense (let alone an offense) as good as what he has to work with in Denver.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:55 AM   #15
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,744
Default

The NFL is business of change and he will stay or not. Let stop worrying about tomorrow and just focus on the season.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #16
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
The NFL is business of change and he will stay or not. Let stop worrying about tomorrow and just focus on the season.
I'm sorry, I thought this was a discussion board.

That's my bad.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #17
Archie
R Gang
 
Archie's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 1,159

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Keith Bishop
Default

I think the promise of HC of the Future is not usually a good thing. Creates weird politics in the coaching ranks, players, etc... See Holmgren and Mora in Seattle a couple of years ago. That was a horrid disaster for that organization.

Best recommendation was ensure a super quality organization bent on winning a couple of super bowls and the hope that he wants to plant here for a bit and be a key part of that with a name your price option at the end of it. Or better yet he takes the Joe Collier approach and decides he wants to be a DC for the rest of his career.

Finally, what's to say that he would be a good HC here. He was not in Jacksonville. Lots of amazing coordinators or coaches who made really bad head coaches. Wade Phillips is a classic example as well as the aforementioned Collier.
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #18
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,209
Default

A deep playoff run would would go a long way towards solidifying Del Rio as the DC in 2013. Assistants on teams that make a Super Bowl run have a hard time landing HC jobs because the teams that have vacancies don't want to wait around and risk losing out on other candidates.

EDIT: Beantown and Khan beat me to it.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #19
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,882

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Our defense is #2 in sacks and #2 against the run, which is nothing short of a remarkable turnaround considering where we were over the last several years. IMO, one of the most important components of this team is Del Rio coordinating the D.

He's also sure to be a head coaching candidate, and even though he had a pretty poor experience in Jacksonville, it would be tough for him to turn down the top job.

What do you think the team needs to do to lock him up, at least for a couple more years?
Disagree. People want something shiny and new with Harbaugh/MikeSmith boom potential. Not just a great coordinator with HC mediocrity ie: Wade Phillips/Mike Nolan.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #20
baja
Elite Sissie
 
baja's Avatar
 
Because

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,518

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
Fox has said this will be his last head coaching stop in the NFL. I would like to see them work out a deal with Del Rio where he's promised the HC gig once Fox decides to hang 'em up.

That way he can build into the process and keep a lot of continuity. It may seem a bit far fetched but I really feel as though that is an ideal scenario for everyone involved.
That's a very good idea. Worked with Kubes for years and Mike was way younger than Fox is now.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #21
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Disagree. People want something shiny and new with Harbaugh/MikeSmith boom potential. Not just a great coordinator with HC mediocrity ie: Wade Phillips/Mike Nolan.
True, but how many times has Wade been a HC?
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #22
mwill07
Ring of Famer
 
mwill07's Avatar
 
Lurker Extraordinaire

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,833

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Exactly. Most teams won't wait until February for a guy. The combine is just a few weeks away, they'll want their staff totally assembled before then. If we can find a way to keep winning and go deep, it reduces the liklihood of our coaches getting poached.

I think McCoy is gone and I think Del Rio stays. I think Del Rio likes his job. I think McCoy will be a very good head coach - better than a coordinator. He sounds like a head coach.
Aren't coordinators for teams that have a bye allowed to interview during that bye week?
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #23
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,121

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
Aren't coordinators for teams that have a bye allowed to interview during that bye week?
Pretty sure the team would have to give permission.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #24
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer
 
NFLBRONCO's Avatar
 
Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lafayette Colorado
Posts: 8,029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
I don't see JDR taking off after one season. It would have to be one incredible offer, but I think he digs less responsibility as a DC.
I bet you thought Allen would stay too. JDR is a alot better HC option then Allen was. I expect JDR to move on. If he stays I'll be thrilled.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #25
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.
 
HAT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,771

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber
Default

JDR isn't going anywhere.....Until Pat Haden fires Kiffin next year, then he'll be a Trojan again.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:48 PM.


Denver Broncos