The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Default Locking Up Del Rio

Our defense is #2 in sacks and #2 against the run, which is nothing short of a remarkable turnaround considering where we were over the last several years. IMO, one of the most important components of this team is Del Rio coordinating the D.

He's also sure to be a head coaching candidate, and even though he had a pretty poor experience in Jacksonville, it would be tough for him to turn down the top job.

What do you think the team needs to do to lock him up, at least for a couple more years?
Old 12-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Assistant Head Coach.....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #3
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
What do you think the team needs to do to lock him up, at least for a couple more years?
Keep winning Super Bowls. Most teams need to fill their spots immediately and aren't willing to wait that long to fill that position. It's obviously not a guarantee that he'd remain "locked up", but it's as close as you can get to one.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
Drek
Ring of Famer

Nothing. We can't offer him anything better than he's got already. If he wants to be a HC again he will.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I don't think you really can lock up coaches anymore. They are always going to have that clause where they can move into a higher position around the league if it's offered to them. It would be nice to throw money at him, but it would be no guarantee.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It would be dissappointing, strike while the irons hot. I have a gut feeling he'll be here a couple more years, provided we dont win the superbowl.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Easy. We need compromising photos we can use against him.
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Quote:
Our defense is #2 in sacks and #2 against the run, which is nothing short of a remarkable turnaround considering where we were over the last several years. IMO, one of the most important components of this team is Del Rio coordinating the D.

He's also sure to be a head coaching candidate, and even though he had a pretty poor experience in Jacksonville, it would be tough for him to turn down the top job.

The only way to lock him up is to make him Head coach, and or pay him as much as anyone else would at HC with a CO HC title.

He has done a fantastic job for us , and I'd hate to see him leave. The 7th DC in 7 years! We seem unable to keep one , either due to failure, or success.

We have to hope that he has been soured on that type of job for a while and he is satisfied to be where he's at for now. It would be great if he thought that his best role is as a DC, on a team that has a good owner, coach and GM. A super bowl run or two under his belt would also give him even more leverage with other teams, should he want the HC gig.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
It would be dissappointing, strike while the irons hot. I have a gut feeling he'll be here a couple more years, provided we dont win the superbowl.
I think he will be too. Del Rio didn't sound overly anxious to get back to a head coaching gig when he came here last year. Jacksonville was a complete mess for him, but paid him more than enough to live comfortably on.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if he's promised to be John Fox's heir apparent if he sticks around. He's 8 years younger, and Fox is already 57 years old.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:37 AM   #10
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Keep winning Super Bowls. Most teams need to fill their spots immediately and aren't willing to wait that long to fill that position. It's obviously not a guarantee that he'd remain "locked up", but it's as close as you can get to one.
Exactly. Most teams won't wait until February for a guy. The combine is just a few weeks away, they'll want their staff totally assembled before then. If we can find a way to keep winning and go deep, it reduces the liklihood of our coaches getting poached.

I think McCoy is gone and I think Del Rio stays. I think Del Rio likes his job. I think McCoy will be a very good head coach - better than a coordinator. He sounds like a head coach.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #11
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Fox has said this will be his last head coaching stop in the NFL. I would like to see them work out a deal with Del Rio where he's promised the HC gig once Fox decides to hang 'em up.

That way he can build into the process and keep a lot of continuity. It may seem a bit far fetched but I really feel as though that is an ideal scenario for everyone involved.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #12
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

I don't see JDR taking off after one season. It would have to be one incredible offer, but I think he digs less responsibility as a DC.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #13
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Pull the old Shanny, "Assistant Head Coach" move.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #14
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

I think the personnel Del Rio has here is also a consideration. It would likely take him quite a bit of time to put together a defense (let alone an offense) as good as what he has to work with in Denver.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:55 AM   #15
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

The NFL is business of change and he will stay or not. Let stop worrying about tomorrow and just focus on the season.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #16
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
The NFL is business of change and he will stay or not. Let stop worrying about tomorrow and just focus on the season.
I'm sorry, I thought this was a discussion board.

That's my bad.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #17
Archie
R Gang

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Keith Bishop

I think the promise of HC of the Future is not usually a good thing. Creates weird politics in the coaching ranks, players, etc... See Holmgren and Mora in Seattle a couple of years ago. That was a horrid disaster for that organization.

Best recommendation was ensure a super quality organization bent on winning a couple of super bowls and the hope that he wants to plant here for a bit and be a key part of that with a name your price option at the end of it. Or better yet he takes the Joe Collier approach and decides he wants to be a DC for the rest of his career.

Finally, what's to say that he would be a good HC here. He was not in Jacksonville. Lots of amazing coordinators or coaches who made really bad head coaches. Wade Phillips is a classic example as well as the aforementioned Collier.
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #18
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

A deep playoff run would would go a long way towards solidifying Del Rio as the DC in 2013. Assistants on teams that make a Super Bowl run have a hard time landing HC jobs because the teams that have vacancies don't want to wait around and risk losing out on other candidates.

EDIT: Beantown and Khan beat me to it.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #19
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

Disagree. People want something shiny and new with Harbaugh/MikeSmith boom potential. Not just a great coordinator with HC mediocrity ie: Wade Phillips/Mike Nolan.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #20
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
Fox has said this will be his last head coaching stop in the NFL. I would like to see them work out a deal with Del Rio where he's promised the HC gig once Fox decides to hang 'em up.

That way he can build into the process and keep a lot of continuity. It may seem a bit far fetched but I really feel as though that is an ideal scenario for everyone involved.
That's a very good idea. Worked with Kubes for years and Mike was way younger than Fox is now.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #21
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Disagree. People want something shiny and new with Harbaugh/MikeSmith boom potential. Not just a great coordinator with HC mediocrity ie: Wade Phillips/Mike Nolan.
True, but how many times has Wade been a HC?
Old 12-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #22
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Exactly. Most teams won't wait until February for a guy. The combine is just a few weeks away, they'll want their staff totally assembled before then. If we can find a way to keep winning and go deep, it reduces the liklihood of our coaches getting poached.

I think McCoy is gone and I think Del Rio stays. I think Del Rio likes his job. I think McCoy will be a very good head coach - better than a coordinator. He sounds like a head coach.
Aren't coordinators for teams that have a bye allowed to interview during that bye week?
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #23
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
Aren't coordinators for teams that have a bye allowed to interview during that bye week?
Pretty sure the team would have to give permission.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #24
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
I don't see JDR taking off after one season. It would have to be one incredible offer, but I think he digs less responsibility as a DC.
I bet you thought Allen would stay too. JDR is a alot better HC option then Allen was. I expect JDR to move on. If he stays I'll be thrilled.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #25
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

JDR isn't going anywhere.....Until Pat Haden fires Kiffin next year, then he'll be a Trojan again.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote