The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Coolest NFL website

Found this website trying to find head to head wins for Denver vs New England to shut up some ChowdaHead trying to give me the business on a Browns forum. Hahaha, isn't that funny. He said the Pats own the Broncos all time, of course I had to point out, thanks to this website, the Broncos OWN the Pats all time 27 - 19.

But anyway, you can get almost any NFL data you could think of at this website. Box scores from 30 years ago, superbowl winners, coaches stats, player stats, head to head matchups, whatever you want, it's there.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo

Prepare your a noose.
brncs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #4
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by brncs_fan View Post
Prepare your a noose.
why? you are going to dig in?
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Sheriff Joe finally take the firewall down did he?
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Found this website trying to find head to head wins for Denver vs New England to shut up some ChowdaHead trying to give me the business on a Browns forum. Hahaha, isn't that funny. He said the Pats own the Broncos all time, of course I had to point out, thanks to this website, the Broncos OWN the Pats all time 27 - 19.

But anyway, you can get almost any NFL data you could think of at this website. Box scores from 30 years ago, superbowl winners, coaches stats, player stats, head to head matchups, whatever you want, it's there.

Yeah I have had that site book marked for a long time. It is a great site!!
Old 12-21-2012, 12:24 AM   #7
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Yep... one of my favorite sources for football information. I like it better than nfl.com because all of the "other" content (vids and such) on nfl.com make the pages load far slower.

Oh and for your Patsyfan friend's information, there are only 2 teams in the entire league that have a winning record vs. the Brady-Belichick-era Patriots. One of those teams is the New York Giants (3-2). Guess which team the other one is? (and when Shanahan was fired, the record that now sits at 6-5... was 5-2).

Check it out yourself... (click the game-by-game links and add up all game results after 2001)

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...ad-to-head.htm
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #8
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

So did you guys know that there is this website called Google, where you can go and type in a phrase for something you are interested in, or want to know more about? Its totally cool, I bet whomever made that probably could make some money if they even tried.

theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:16 AM   #9
i4jelway7
Ring of Famer

loves haters & trolls

wish they had the pro bowl stats
i4jelway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:54 AM   #10
canadianbroncosfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
So did you guys know that there is this website called Google, where you can go and type in a phrase for something you are interested in, or want to know more about? Its totally cool, I bet whomever made that probably could make some money if they even tried.

Google?

Up hear we having something similar but it's called Alta Vista.

You guys wouldn't believe it either, I just set up my very own email account. It tells me "you've got mail" every time I get a message.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:24 AM   #11
SeedReaver
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbroncosfan View Post
Google?

Up hear we having something similar but it's called Alta Vista.

You guys wouldn't believe it either, I just set up my very own email account. It tells me "you've got mail" every time I get a message.
I used to use the **** out of AltaVista (circa '96), before I started thoroughly enjoying all of the amenities Yahoo offered (front page News, Finance, Sports, etc.). I pretty much used Yahoo up until about two years ago.

I finally made the switch to Google when I actually started searching more when I hit grad school and really needed Google Scholar. I still use Yahoo as my home page, but use Google to search.

I was actually super nitpicky about people saying "just Google it" when clearly, Google was not a verb. I finally got over that pet peeve.
SeedReaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:39 AM   #12
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

I love the info that they have on pro football reference, but I can never bring myself to go there. It actually hurts me how ugly and poorly laid out that site is. Not saying any of the others are that much better.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #13
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

I like to use their research tools.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #14
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Guys, have you ever googled NFL box scores? All the stats are right there...
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #15
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:

Pat yourself on the back now, you did your best to try and make a funny. Just because some people knew about this site doesn't mean everybody else did and what does it hurt to post it so they now can know about it. Some of you guys need to take your thumb out of your ass and you might just relax a little bit.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #16
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
I love the info that they have on pro football reference, but I can never bring myself to go there. It actually hurts me how ugly and poorly laid out that site is. Not saying any of the others are that much better.
The purpose of sites that are databases for statistical information aren't every going to be appealing to the eye, nor likely have someone who is designer intensive to make it look aesthetically appealing. Very few actually pull it off. They want their data easily accessed and cross-compatible with various browsing platforms. Having a beautiful site isn't their goal, but yes, I do agree that it looks like something I'd of stumbled across on Netscape Navigator back in 1997 on a Pentium II machine!
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #17
DAN_BRONCO_FAN
Ring of Famer

weed will win

Adopt-a-Bronco:
miles

Quote:

sir are you a witch ?
do we need to tie you to the stake?
DAN_BRONCO_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #18
DAN_BRONCO_FAN
Ring of Famer

weed will win

Adopt-a-Bronco:
miles

well where do i go to find team records because im trying to find whats the most points scored by a bronco defense ina season and where does this 2012 one rank among other bronco defenses especially points scored not set ups either but pick 6 ints or fumbles returned for 6?
Old 12-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #19
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I just got this packet in the mail for a free trial of this thing called AOL. America OnLine sounds pretty cool I think I may give it a shot.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #20
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Pat yourself on the back now, you did your best to try and make a funny. Just because some people knew about this site doesn't mean everybody else did and what does it hurt to post it so they now can know about it. Some of you guys need to take your thumb out of your ass and you might just relax a little bit.

That was easy
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #21
DAN_BRONCO_FAN
Ring of Famer

weed will win

Adopt-a-Bronco:
miles

wow some of you people shure are cynical .
whats wrong with sharing this in case some dont know about it . well i knew about it had to scour google bling to find it. then again i always scour the net for info . so he gets a good rep . i used it to shove the fact in one of the raider fans that the raiders overall haven't been as good as the broncos since the 80s
Old 12-21-2012, 10:02 PM   #22
canadianbroncosfan

Quote:
Or some of knew it was a joke and enjoyed it, cause that's all it is a joke. Key into your own comment about relaxing.

Btw I don't even understand how we're having this conversation because what the **** is a message board?
Old 12-22-2012, 06:30 AM   #23
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

They have a long three part article (Part I - Part II - Part III) on comebacks. Elway wasn't the leader.

Quote:
Forty-seven. The most famous number when it comes to quarterbacks and fourth quarter comebacks is 47. It may also be the most misleading number in NFL history. No matter what source you look at, John Elway is credited with a NFL record 47 comebacks in the 4th quarter. This leads much credence to the "clutchness" of a QB in his career, and is often cited in debates between Elway and other great QBs. But if you research all of his wins, you will have found that he is being credited for comeback wins in a game that ended in an overtime tie, and in several games the Broncos never trailed in the fourth quarter. You cannot come back when there's no deficit to come back from. Dan Marino, always credited with 37 comebacks, has been ranked in 2nd place since retirement. Even DanMarino.com has 37.

Currently, Marino sits 3rd behind Favre (42 is the widely reported number) and Elway (lucky 47). But when the PR staff for the Miami Dolphins exclude wins that the Dolphins never trailed in the 4th quarter, while the Favre and Elway people do not, does that not suggest a serious issue with the validity of these “records”? And why has this been allowed to go on for over a decade?

That's where my research comes in.
4th quarter comebacks
  1. Peyton Manning 37
  2. Dan Marino* 33
  3. John Elway* 31
  4. Fran Tarkenton* 29
  5. Vinny Testaverde 29
  6. Brett Favre 28
  7. Joe Montana* 26
  8. Warren Moon* 25
  9. Johnny Unitas* 25
  10. Drew Bledsoe 24

Game-winning drives
  1. Peyton Manning 48
  2. Dan Marino* 47
  3. Brett Favre 43
  4. John Elway* 40
  5. Warren Moon* 35
  6. Fran Tarkenton* 33
  7. Vinny Testaverde 33
  8. Drew Bledsoe 31
  9. Tom Brady 30
  10. Kerry Collins 30
  11. Jake Plummer 30
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #24
Bronco Bob
Tastee Freeze

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:

Went there and looked around and it occurred to me.
Denver, Buffalo, and the Vikings take a lot of heat for losing
four Super Bowls.
But no one ever mentions the darlings of the league, the Patriots,
have also lost four Super Bowls. Two with football god Brady.
And of the ones Denver lost, the only one that anyone really expected
them to win was Washington. While everyone expected the Patriots to
beat the Giants.
Bronco Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #25
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
The purpose of sites that are databases for statistical information aren't every going to be appealing to the eye, nor likely have someone who is designer intensive to make it look aesthetically appealing. Very few actually pull it off. They want their data easily accessed and cross-compatible with various browsing platforms. Having a beautiful site isn't their goal, but yes, I do agree that it looks like something I'd of stumbled across on Netscape Navigator back in 1997 on a Pentium II machine!
Exactly, but just because it's not the main goal of the site, it doesn't mean it can't at least be a decent experience. It doesn't have to beautiful but it really doesn't take that much to make stuff like that a little easier to look at and navigate. They already have the data and the engine, it really wouldn't take that much time or effort, just a little bit of thought and some front end coding.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote