The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #101
jmz313
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinBronco View Post
Now to get this back to a normal, mature conversation.

Bottom line: both players wanted out. I just find it funny how some of you perceived Portis as a God when he was in Denver but when he got traded, he became absolute trash, just because he wanted out.
Portis didn't want out, he wanted to be Paid big money. He averaged 5.5 yds a Carry here. not sure what his average was in DC but i'm sure it was under 5 every year and maybe even in the 3's once or twice. I'm pretty sure also had (and i'm not stat checking here) more TDs in his 2 years on the broncos than any year with DC.

like you, i live in the DC area, all the Skins fans want to feel better about losing out on that deal. Portis brought less to DC than Champ did to Denver. Champ also brought a second round pick with him (there in lies the Fleecing portion). Champ is probably still going to make the pro bowl this year and Clinton Portis is worn out and done.
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #102
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Yeah I want to go on record and say I never said Portis sucked. I wish we could have kept him somehow because this system was perfect for him.

I am thrilled we got Bailey - he is obviously the player that can play in any system. I never hated Portis or thought he sucked, though. I didn't wish him ill in Washington. I don't think he was all-world, but I think in the right system he could have been one of the better backs of the decade. Instead Gibbs made him gain weight and ran his power/trap scheme form the 80's and completely destroyed what made him good by grinding him into the dust.

I don't know if he would have been a HOF player in a better system, but if he went to a team like the Saints or Philly, he could have been rich man's Brian Westbrook. That would have been awesome.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #103
D.B.
Paradigm Coordinator

Keepit nuttier than a squirrel turd

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Seattle just stomped your asses 58 to zip. Wouldn't it be advisable to keep a low profile for a while?
Low profile kicks when you give up an avg of. 1 pt a minute. He's good.
D.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #104
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz313 View Post
Champ is probably still going to make the pro bowl this year and Clinton Portis is worn out and done.
But isn't that the nature of the beast for the RB position? Guys who play that position don't last long generally.

As for your point about skins fans, all the ones I know were happy with Portis when he was in his prime and producing. When they turned on him was towards the end when he was completely worn out and done like you said and his prima donna ways became an issue.

But when he was in his prime under Gibbs, he was a critical piece to the success of this team. He did everything the coaches asked, including gaining all that weight.

And honestly, he was the best pass blocking RB I have ever seen. I mean the guy just lit up whoever came blitzing the QB
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #105
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Wtf? DL is way the **** off. No Aldon or Wilkerson on your team even

DEs: Aldon Smith, Houston
DTs: Watt, Wilkerson

And Richard Sherman has to be Opp Peterson.
I dont give a **** how good Aldon Smith is at DE, my team will have no Missouri trash on it.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #106
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Clinton Portis would be a HOF player had he stayed with the Broncos. Glad we got Champ tho. Clinton's performance against Kansas City busting out the WWF Belt was priceless. One of my favorite memories.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #107
DENVERDUI55

Even though it is off topic they Bailey Portis trade was a fleecing. Bailey is still producing at a high level and portis who knows what he is doing. Shanny really could of made trade lopsided if he drafted Steven Jackson instead of DJ. Just Bailey for Portis was a big win for Denver then think if he took best RB in the draft which he could of when he fell to Denver.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #108
DENVERDUI55

How did this matchup turnout?
Old 12-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #109
baja
Headmaster

"Win from now on" - Elway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Leo-TailGateNut

Quote:
Johnson had nothing but praise for Peterson following the contest.

"Good corner," Johnson said. "Good ball skills, overall a good player, man. It's a pleasure to play good players in this league -- because it's some great competition and he's one of the good ones."

There are a lot of "good ones"
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #110
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Are we seriously going to play semantics to try and bust Rev's balls?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #111
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
"Patrick Peterson wins battle with Calvin Johnson"

http://arizonasports.com/40/1595857/...Calvin-Johnson
10 receptions for 121 yards later....
Old 12-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #112
baja
Headmaster

"Win from now on" - Elway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Leo-TailGateNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Pointing out Johnson chose the word "good" (twice) and not great is not semantics it is a valid point.

Rev using the quote to support his argument Peterson is a top corner is not supported in the quote. You can be your ass Rev would jump on that if it were someone else using that quote to support the greatness of Patrick Peterson
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #113
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I was seriously wondering. I didn't are anything on the game other than some pick 6 s on sportscenter by stafford. The 5 or 6 catches when talking about breaking rices record were on PP. CJ had big game and PP had an INT.

Last edited by DENVERDUI55; 12-20-2012 at 10:10 AM..
Old 12-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #114
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

The thing about PP is he is the most talented CB in the league right now, without Revis being available. He has all the tools and all the ability in the world.

The thing that has always gotten me about him, is he is not consistent enough play to play to say he is the best CB in the league right now. He seriously needs some ADD meds or something because he plays lights out for like 75% of the plays and then the other 25% he looks average. I would not say he takes plays off, he just is not mentally sharp every play or hungry to make a play every play.

He is definitely a top 5 cover guy when he is on, but why is he not more consistent? Why is he mentally not tougher?
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #115
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
The thing about PP is he is the most talented CB in the league right now, without Revis being available. He has all the tools and all the ability in the world.

The thing that has always gotten me about him, is he is not consistent enough play to play to say he is the best CB in the league right now. He seriously needs some ADD meds or something because he plays lights out for like 75% of the plays and then the other 25% he looks average. I would not say he takes plays off, he just is not mentally sharp every play or hungry to make a play every play.

He is definitely a top 5 cover guy when he is on, but why is he not more consistent? Why is he mentally not tougher?
The 25% of the plays they weren't his fault MED. On a side note some people say the Broncos would be better off with Peterson than Miller on defense even today. What do you think of that? He is good but he isn't Watt, Miller or Smith type of effect on a defense in my opinion.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #116
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

I am a big fan of PP, and he is one of the best, but I would take Miller hands down over PP. The pass rush is so important, more so than the cover guys. This defense doesn't have the same look without Miller.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #117
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Quite a bit of that against Gay and Rhodes, but good work glancing at a box score .
Why do you hate Von Miller so much?
Old 12-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #118
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
Yeah, THAT'S an even trade.
Their basis for comparison on CB trades is skewed. They see Champ going to Pro Bowls every year; and they can hardly remember a guy named Clinton Portis. Deep down inside, they are hoping that the karma gods will someday even things out.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #119
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post

This is what was so impressive about Bailey . He'd go games without being thrown at. Each play he is in the game. Always in the moment. When you aren't thrown , it's human nature to be a little disinterested. Not Champ. Not when he was at his best
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #120
DENVERDUI55

Michael Crabtree wishes he could play against Patrick Peterson every week. He scored 4 tds and a bunch of yards this year on him and absolutely destroyed him week 17. Sure PP gets a pass since the cardinals threw the towel in months ago but it was just too bad he had no SF WR to showcase his skills.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #121
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
So how many ***** can you fit in your mouth at once?
You win not going to even argue with that you got me beat but it would probably be 20 plus if they were your size. With Shanahan, PP, Janoris Jenkins, Marshall, and Cutler sticking it in your ass all I can say is your airtight now.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #122
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Here ya go, bro. I did all the work for ya:

https://orders.hookedonphonics.com/L...FQ3nnAodlm4ABA
That's about the 3rd thing you always say.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #123
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Bucky Brooks says Richard Sherman "far superior" to Patrick Peterson.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...nfl-cornerback
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #124
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Bucky Brooks says Richard Sherman "far superior" to Patrick Peterson.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...nfl-cornerback
Brooks says Sherman is "far superior" to Peterson. Really?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #125
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
I think it's going to be an interesting year to watch CB play between him, Peterson and Revis' return. Not to mention can Cromartie play at the same level as last year? Does Alford beat out Trufant (Falcons really stole two amazing cover guys in the draft)? Does DRC take a huge leap with Von pressure?

Lots of fun questions that I look forward to seeing unfold.
I get that Brooks likes Sherman more than Peterson as of right now. This is what his article is demonstrating, ok fine. But to say that Sherman is far superior is simply not true. Also, Peterson's special teams ability absolutely has to factor into the overall equation.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote