The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #101
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Also we have enough coal and oil to at least last the 100 yrs you yourself said before fusion could really be counted on. I am all for battery storages advancement though. In reality though to fuel that like i said we have to mine rare earths. You stay away from that because you know that while environmentalists love electric cars they dont like what is needed to build the batteries. Rare Earths are almost as important as dino fuels now. Better hope that 1 american rare earth mine is enough. IMO we should look to trounce China on this letting rare earths drop, and battery profits go through the roof.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #102
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Cmon Fed most scientists in that field say it will eventually work. They usually aren't wrong but i fully admit that sort of stuff way over my head.
Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. Beyond just the problem of initiating the reaction, there are multitudes of other problems. For example, how do we harness the energy that is produced? Last I read we don't have the exotic materials necessary to survive the neutron bombardment byproduct of the fusion reaction that will turn the internal parts of the reactor radioactive and make every feasible alloy we know of become brittle.

Quote:
I'm not saying Obama should not invest, i am saying the stimulus was a giveaway, done so fast no govt could distribute the money to winners. They just flung it all over the place to see what would stick. I fully agree though the govt needed for major change in science. I am 100% behind the space program, doing major things like try to develop fusion, go to mars, cure diseases and yes even battery storage. Its just Obama didn't do it right, he wasted a large portion of billions on crap.
I know of two examples totaling < 1% of the stimulus. There's no such thing as a sure bet when you're talking about tackling difficult problems.

You know how many space program projects failed? How much disease research fails? How many boondoggles there have been in defense research?

You just want a want to attack the guy with a (D) behind his name.

Quote:
I wonder how much Obama even giving to fusion, i bet they would have loved 130 million here, 80 million here, you know the big chunks on companies bankrupt.
Fusion research gets more money than all other energy research (production and storage) combined. It's doing fine.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:20 AM   #103
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Not accoridng to the this. This sounds like Obama cut funding for fusion research.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...r-fusion-power
Old 12-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #104
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Not accoridng to the this. This sounds like Obama cut funding for fusion research.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...r-fusion-power
Actually, according to that, fusion research monies were moved around to better fund the ITER (one of the most important fusion research projects currently under way), something we committed to in 2003.

You really should read past the first paragraph when you try to cite something. Idiot.

You should also probably look up how much the Republican controlled congress has gutted energy research (except fossil fuel research) in the last few years.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #105
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Still not enough money and republicans should get more on board also. Its the next big leap for mankind and should be the main thrust of our science right now IMO. In the meantime use up all the oil and coal and stop this silly idea we can use solar to power the country.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #106
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Still not enough money and republicans should get more on board also. Its the next big leap for mankind and should be the main thrust of our science right now IMO. In the meantime use up all the oil and coal and stop this silly idea we can use solar to power the country.
So, continue wrecking environmental devastation and just hope we can continue to meet all our energy needs for the next century or more burning dead dinosaurs for power?

Pretty dumb plan when we have viable technology to help us start getting away from a fossil fuel based economy now. At the very least it will help us conserve the fossil fuels necessary to make it until we do get fusion going (if ever).

Or are you happy to bet on the fusion long shot to avoid massive resource wars (oil, water, arable land) in the latter half of the 21st century?
Old 12-18-2012, 11:56 PM   #107
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

And now the investigations begin!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...est=latestnews
Old 12-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #108
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

We will still evenutally have resource wars Fed. We will need a huge military to come out on top. But eventually we tangle with China over resources. It's already starting in the oceans around the Philipines and Thailand, Vietnam. Resource wars may not be the all out war we are used to however. Still though we need a bigger navy to get it done.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #109
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
We will still evenutally have resource wars Fed. We will need a huge military to come out on top. But eventually we tangle with China over resources. It's already starting in the oceans around the Philipines and Thailand, Vietnam. Resource wars may not be the all out war we are used to however. Still though we need a bigger navy to get it done.
Do you work for the defense industry?

You're one of the most ignorant persons, on just about all subjects, I've ever met.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:10 AM   #110
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

DERP!
Old 12-19-2012, 03:03 AM   #111
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

meanwhile working its way through the courts will be all the cases of taxpayers getting ripped off. The govt is just unable to do anything without most of the money being wasted or just outright stolen.

Several major solar panel companies have been issued subpoenas as part of a federal investigation into whether they overcharged for their work in order to squeeze more stimulus money out of taxpayers.
The investigation was revealed earlier this year by one of the subjects in the probe, California-based SolarCity. Shortly before going public last week, the company disclosed in an SEC statement that it "and other companies with significant market share" -- as well as others "related to the solar industry" -- had received subpoenas from the Treasury Department's Office of the Inspector General.
The SEC statement did not reveal what other companies are being scrutinized. But The Washington Post reported that SunRun and Sungevity have also received Treasury subpoenas.
The investigation follows the controversies over Solyndra, the California solar firm that declared bankruptcy in September 2011 after pocketing nearly $530 million in taxpayer support, and over other government-backed solar companies that have gone belly up.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:16 AM   #112
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Default another obama solar gem bites the dust.

Flabeg received $9 million in grants and loans for the facility from the state. In early 2009, the company won $10.2 million in tax credits awarded by the Obama administration as part of the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act.

The Recovery Act, also known as the stimulus bill, included $2.3 billion in such credits for clean energy manufacturing projects. Flabeg's $10.2 million was the largest clean energy tax credit awarded to a Pennsylvania company at the time.

Findlay Township received $500,000 in federal money to enlarge a sewer line in the area around the plant to plan for Flabeg's expansion.

Through it all, Flabeg said it expected about 300 jobs to be generated by the plant. The firm's payroll topped out more than 200 at one point, Mr. Lampl said, and had about 70 workers when it stopped production last week.

ba ba bum bum bum another one bites the dust. Is it up to a billion flushed down the drain yet?
Old 04-09-2013, 04:17 AM   #113
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

When will people admit what a loser industry solar is and fall back in love with our percious liquid gold? Drill baby and we can turn this economy around.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #114
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
So far, the [clean energy] loan program has only burned through about $800 million of its $10 billion in reserves. Mitt Romney suggested during a debate with President Obama that half of its loans had failed; in fact, more than 95 percent are performing fine. Thatís a record most private portfolio managers would envy, and itís especially remarkable for a program thatís supposed to focus on innovative projects that private financiers wonít bankroll without government help. The goal was to help push promising green technologies across the so-called ďValley of Death,Ē and it seems to be working. Now that a bunch of huge solar projects have been built with government help, a bunch of copycat projects are under construction with purely private financing. Theyíll benefit from the lessons learned in the initial round.

Ö it would be a shame if Solyndraphobia drove the Energy Department towards overly safe projects that donít need government help. We donít need an energy version of the Export-Import Bank, offering slightly cheaper financing to borrowers with no plausible risk of default. The loan programís main goal should be facilitating disruptive projects in order to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels, not avoiding failure in order to make sure taxpayers recoup every dollar. The Ex-Im Bankís repayment rate is 99.7 percent; that means itís very unlikely to have a Solyndra problem, and equally unlikely to accomplish anything useful.
http://time.com/2955312/obama-solynd...A+Swampland%29
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #115
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
When will people admit what a loser industry solar is and fall back in love with our percious liquid gold? Drill baby and we can turn this economy around.
"...that long, dismal catalogue of the fruitlessness of experience and the confirmed unteachability of mankind. Want of foresight, unwillingness to act when action would be simple and effective, lack of clear thinking, confusion of counsel until the emergency comes, until self-preservation strikes its jarring gong-these are the features which constitute the endless repetition of history."
Winston Churchill
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #116
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I'd like to blow coal on you right now.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #117
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

These idiots can't even figure out if the planet is warming or cooling. Story changes all the time.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #118
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
These idiots can't even figure out if the planet is warming or cooling. Story changes all the time.
Only for people who can't follow anything but a laser pointer shining on the wall.

Like you.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #119
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by W*GS View Post
Only for people who can't follow anything but a laser pointer shining on the wall.

Like you.
My dogs love that.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #120
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Obama can for sure fund some companies that will become money makers. For how long they make money is in dispute.

Also when you consider only like 2-3% of our electricity comes from solar who knows what it really costs. Is it even 2-3% lol.

Also Tesla, electric cars, for sure some of them will make good. What you can't prove is if Tesla needed govt money. What you can't prove is if solar and wind will ever produce even 25% of our needs?

Also it doesn't reduce co2 enough to make any difference so that point is moot.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:45 PM   #121
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
My dogs love that.
Weird my dogs are smart enough to know it's not real. The cat also. I guess your pets must be democrats.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #122
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by W*GS View Post

Like you.
Like on Venus.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote