The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #26
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

JerseyGuy, that list is awful. You didn't mention their crappy offensive line. Polian was good at signing free agents, but he also let a few good ones go. That list just makes Manning look amazing.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #27
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Bring back King Carl.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #28
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Face it. Clark Hunt could care less about the NFL, his first passion is soccer. The only concern is how to generate as much revenue as possible with the least ammount of expenditures. Moves made are based off of two things: Money & Ego, nowhere in the equation does sound football decisions reside.

A fish rots from the head down.

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #29
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

Who else are they going to get to run that crappy franchise? He would be an upgrade over the existing situation.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #30
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Bring back King Carl.
That's the last time they were any good.

Carl drafted Jamaal Charles, Dwayne Bowe, Jared Allen, Joe Horn, Neil Smith, Derrick Thomas, Will Shields, Jerome Woods, Donnie Edwards, Tony Gonzalez and Dante Hall.

He also brough in Trent Green, Tony Richardson, Priest Holmes, traded for Roaf, talked Kennison into not retiring and got Dick Vermeil to come over.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #31
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
JerseyGuy, that list is awful. You didn't mention their crappy offensive line. Polian was good at signing free agents, but he also let a few good ones go. That list just makes Manning look amazing.
Exactly. The list was pitiful, and for some reason he used '05-'09 when Polian's last draft was '11. It's even worse if you go '07-'11. JerseyGuy actually did mention that the Colts OL was "falling apart," but it somehow escapes him that putting together a quality OL is the job of the GM. As far as Brown vs. Moreno...not sure why he made that comparison as Brown's career high is 647 rushing yards, a total Moreno has topped twice. Not that the comparison was relevant in any case. Brown stinks and was not a good 1st round pick.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #32
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyguy4 View Post
It was no secret the Colts would blow without Manning. Irsay knew it, Polian knew it, the coaches knew it, and the fans knew it. The team was built around Manning, and it was a calculated risk EVERY SINGLE YEAR of Peyton's tenure. Prior to 2011, Peyton hadn't missed 1 game in his career. His O-Line was built to protect him, and they did that well.

The surprise wasn't that the 2011 Colts went 2-14. The surprise was how quickly they bounced back in 2012.
That is the point of the GM, to build a TEAM
He failed to do that, failed in an epic fashion

And btw the Colts Oline was not good, it sucked as well
Peyton just got rid on the ball so quickly to negate their crappiness
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #33
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
That's the last time they were any good.

Carl drafted Jamaal Charles, Dwayne Bowe, Jared Allen, Joe Horn, Neil Smith, Derrick Thomas, Will Shields, Jerome Woods, Donnie Edwards, Tony Gonzalez and Dante Hall.

He also brough in Trent Green, Tony Richardson, Priest Holmes, traded for Roaf, talked Kennison into not retiring and got Dick Vermeil to come over.
I think King Carl is still close with the Hunt family too. If anything King Carl is advising Hunt on what GM he should bring in.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #34
jerseyguy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Exactly. The list was pitiful, and for some reason he used '05-'09 when Polian's last draft was '11. It's even worse if you go '07-'11. JerseyGuy actually did mention that the Colts OL was "falling apart," but it somehow escapes him that putting together a quality OL is the job of the GM. As far as Brown vs. Moreno...not sure why he made that comparison as Brown's career high is 647 rushing yards, a total Moreno has topped twice. Not that the comparison was relevant in any case. Brown stinks and was not a good 1st round pick.
I ignore 10-11 because 10-11 were Chris Polian's drafts as he was GM.

Howard Mudd was the Colts O-line coach until 09. He was the guy Polian hired in 98 to protect Manning, and he did that exceptionally well with primarily mid-round draft picks for 11 years. He left after 09.....the same time Chris Polian took over as GM. Good move, Chris.

I say Brown was better (comparing early career to early career) because he split time with Addai and started when Addai was hurt. He was a big part of Peyton's last 2 seasons, which combined for 24 wins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster
That is the point of the GM, to build a TEAM
He failed to do that, failed in an epic fashion
Again, this is not news. Everyone knew this was a possibility and was part of the team strategy. In the media, Irsay appeared unhappy with his 2-14 team, but I highly doubt he expected anything better than a 4 or 5 win team.
Quote:
And btw the Colts Oline was not good, it sucked as well
Peyton just got rid on the ball so quickly to negate their crappiness
In the last few years after the SB win, not good at run blocking, but good in pass protection. They always were good at pass protection.
Tony Ugoh was the 2nd round pick as the LT replacement for Tarik Glenn. He WAS a bust, and probably the biggest of Bill Polian's tenure at the Colts.

Last edited by jerseyguy4; 12-18-2012 at 12:43 PM..
Old 12-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #35
FearLanier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
Face it. Clark Hunt could care less about the NFL, his first passion is soccer. The only concern is how to generate as much revenue as possible with the least ammount of expenditures. Moves made are based off of two things: Money & Ego, nowhere in the equation does sound football decisions reside.

A fish rots from the head down.

Clark's moves.

1. Fire the GM that was extremely close to his family.
2. Sign the best GM at the time by far. Literally everyone saw it as a great move for the franchise.
3. Pay that man more than any NFL GM in the league.

People saying Clark doesn't care and that he's cheap always crack me up.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #36
FearLanier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I think King Carl is still close with the Hunt family too. If anything King Carl is advising Hunt on what GM he should bring in.
He actually has met with Marty the week of the Broncos game. He's also met with Cowher.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #37
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearLanier View Post
He actually has met with Marty the week of the Broncos game. He's also met with Cowher.
Carl was better than many other GM's at drafting. The problem was he had a temper and would get into ego-pissing matches with players. I do think he can help you guys find a good GM. I do not think Polian is the guy you want - especially if his son is the de facto GM. If that's the case, you will pine for the days of Pioli. At least he brought some good players in.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #38
Rolandftw

Wouldn't be a bad move for KC, but not the home run type of hire that their fans probably want. He would likely a draft a QB with the first pick, at least. Not sure if the rest of the roster would be in good hands with him though.

Then again, lot of Chief fans seem to think that the only real problem is the QB, so maybe it doesn't matter that much
Old 12-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #39
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
top 15 in all time passing yards, 208 career TD passes, two time pro bowler, won the NFC and led the Giants to the super bowl.

had he not had issues with alcohol he would have been even better.
forgot about the addiction thing ..

He was at the top of his game when that went down, God only knows what would have happened had he not taken some time off..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #40
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandftw View Post
Wouldn't be a bad move for KC, but not the home run type of hire that their fans probably want. He would likely a draft a QB with the first pick, at least. Not sure if the rest of the roster would be in good hands with him though.

Then again, lot of Chief fans seem to think that the only real problem is the QB, so maybe it doesn't matter that much
I think they're pretty much a decent QB away from being competitive. Run game is solid, defense is good, and they have some offensive weapons. They need help on the OL and a new QB.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #41
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:

I think they're pretty much a decent QB away from being competitive. Run game is solid, defense is good, and they have some offensive weapons. They need help on the OL and a new QB.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #42
FearLanier

Quote:
Carl was better than many other GM's at drafting. The problem was he had a temper and would get into ego-pissing matches with players. I do think he can help you guys find a good GM. I do not think Polian is the guy you want - especially if his son is the de facto GM. If that's the case, you will pine for the days of Pioli. At least he brought some good players in.
Carl was extremely overrated. He put his name on LJ for crying out loud. That says enough to me.

I think Marty and Herm had a significant hand in the players that were drafted. DV was never that great at drafting, at all, and neither was Gunter.

Take a look at King Carl's draft's from the Gunter era through the DV era. It's atrocious, pitiful and pathetic.
Jared Allen was the luckiest pick of all time and they didn't even want DJ. They wanted Thomas Davis (thank God for Carolina).
Old 12-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #43
FearLanier

Quote:

With how weak the AFC is, I think it's possible to be in the WC race next year with a good QB and good HC.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #44
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I'd prefer they went with someone unproven and worse.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #45
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I'd prefer they went with someone unproven and worse.
How can you be unproven and worse? Isn't it unproven and unknown or known and worse?
Old 12-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #46
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
How can you be unproven and worse? Isn't it unproven and unknown or known and worse?

How soon we forget...
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #47
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

That would be great if they hired Xanders. Pizza boy moves to KC!
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #48
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post

How soon we forget...
I'll take a large pepperoni pizza, deep dish...
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #49
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I don't know that it's a done deal that Pioli goes, is it? There were all those reports earlier of a secret extension. My dream scenario is that they keep him. I think they'll definitely fire Romeo - to appease the rabid fan base, if nothing else. But I could see Clark "Milquetoast" Hunt keep Polian around - especially if he's going to have to eat a bunch of money on an extended contract.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #50
swaiy

"Damnit, Donald!" - Peyton Manning

Brown is definitely not a grade A running back