The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #276
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Mark Kiszla: Broncos show Ravens how NFL defense is really played

What makes a great defense?

"Guys like Lewis, Ed Reed, (Terrell) Suggs. Those are some great players. Future Hall of Famers," said Bailey, saluting the defensive stars who gave Baltimore a nasty reputation.

But it's the leaps-and-bounds, breakout improvement of younger Broncos such as linebacker Wesley Woodyard, safety Rahim Moore and cornerback Chris Harris that has allowed Denver to turn the screws on foes tighter with each passing week. Much of the credit goes to the teacher.

So Broncomaniacs had better enjoy Del Rio while they can. After leading Valor Christian to a Colorado state prep championship, teenage quarterback Luke Del Rio has decided to take the bold step of walking on at Alabama.

Should Nick Saban cash in on another national championship with the Crimson Tide and return to the pros for a name-the-price contract, Bama could do worse than hire Luke's father at a salary that should more than cover the cost of the kid's tuition, room and books.

Stopping the run was identified as Denver's weakness. Since the sixth week of this NFL season, however, guess which team has been as good as any in the league at stuffing the run.

"Del Rio gets it. He's very confident in his approach. He believes in what he coaches. And that confidence is contagious," Broncos middle linebacker Keith Brooking said.

Not since 2005, when the Broncos advanced to the AFC championship game, has Denver limited foes to fewer than 300 points in the regular season. As Cleveland and Kansas City are all that remains on the schedule, the Broncos could do it again.

Because this ain't the Orange Crush.

But it is potent. Heck, somewhere down the road, this stuff might even be enough to knock Brady on his buns.

http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_...ow-nfl-defense

Did not know about JDR's kid......

Bummer...
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #277
Nwp-Apap

The Broncos have the 2nd best rush defense in the league. Crazy
Old 12-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #278
Greatspirits
Perennial Pro-bowler

"Little Von!"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trev

I'm hoping if the Bronx don't win the Super Bowl this year Del Rio and McCoy will stick around knowing the chances of winning a Super Bowl will be even greater the next couple of years.
Greatspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #279
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwp-Apap View Post
The Broncos have the 2nd best rush defense in the league. Crazy
Awesome. A tride and true stat. Stop the run. Last Sunday we took away Baltimore's best player by stopping the run of Ray Rice and then also getting off the field on 3rd down

Last edited by CEH; 12-18-2012 at 12:44 PM..
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #280
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

[QUOTE=Greatspirits;3757645]I'm hoping if the Bronx don't win the Super Bowl this year Del Rio and McCoy will stick around knowing the chances of winning a Super Bowl will be even greater the next couple of years.[/QU

Are you insane!!!! SB OR BUST!!!!!
Next year will take care of its self. All coaches leave at some point. Although I would like to keep him a while longer I wouldn't want to lose just to keep him. Besides losing doesn't guarantee he'll stay. Just by the fact that he has changed a 20ish ranked defense into a top 5 defense should get him a lot of interest.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #281
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

He said top ten, but facing two anemic offenses and already in the top five, we're probably finishing top five. Well done, Del Rio. Well done.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #282
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

We are giving up 19.6 for 5th place in defense

Atlanta in 4th place is giving up 18.5

so we could overtake Atlanta by season's end. We just have to give up 17 points less than them in the next two games.

They play Detroit and Tampa Bay two teams that are known to score points.

Last edited by baja; 12-18-2012 at 03:44 PM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #283
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

The Broncos currently allow 19.6 ppg (5th overall).
In 2011, the Broncos allowed 24.4 ppg (24th overall).

The Broncos also have 3 starters out (Porter, Warren, Hunter), and 6 new starters on Defense (Bannan, Wolfe, Harris, Woodyard, Brooking, Adams).

JDR raises all ships like the Panama Canal (shoutout to Dmac).
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #284
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

You have to expect both coordinators are gone with at least 10 possible job openings in 13.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #285
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I think McCoy is gone. I think Del Rio will only leave if it all makes sense.

Also, if we can make it to the Super Bowl, some teams might not want to wait for either coordinator and that could help us keep both. I personally think McCoy will be a better head coach than he was a coordinator.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #286
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I think getting Del Rio was the second best thing to happen this off season by a large margin.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpos...6&postcount=14

Last edited by DBroncos4life; 12-18-2012 at 04:09 PM..
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #287
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
JDR has his work cut out for him. With Dawkins gone and DJ Williams missing the first handful of games, it'll be tough.

Broncos struggled against top offenses. Detroit, NE 2X and GB went off on you guys.
Notice how the POS has vanished with all his wrong predictions.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #288
Punisher
Kiss the shoes!

We run the AFC WOOOOOOO!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I4jelway7 = God

Found this in Del Rios office

Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #289
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
Found this in Del Rios office

That was just so he had a translation dictionary, when he was lurking on the Orange Mane.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #290
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBronco7 View Post
Mays is hands down the best MLB the Broncos have. Trevathan is an OLB, and the comparisons to Al Wilson is ridiculous.
I think putting no one at Mike would produce the space a better fit then what Mays gave us. Since Brooking has been playing the position, no losses for the Broncos. Yes, Brookings>everyone else
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #291
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

McCoy, Del Rio may benefit from Broncos' success

A defensive coordinator moving on after a season in this city has almost become expected. After last season, Dennis Allen bolted to take over in Oakland.

Other coordinators who have filled the spot over the last few years include Larry Coyer (2006), Jim Bates (2007), Bob Slowik (2008), Mike Nolan (2009) and Don Martindale (2010).

That has Bailey wondering - kiddingly, of course - if he's doing something to drive them off?

"I know I'm up there," Bailey said of where he would rank among players who've had the most coordinators through a career. "I've got to be up there. I don't know how many I've had - 12, 13, whatever. It's nothing new to me."

Del Rio has a rather good thing going in Denver with two of the elite pass rushers in the game in Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil, a talented linebacker collection and a secondary led by Bailey. That's a pretty formidable ensemble in which to build a dominating defense.

He's really in no rush to go anywhere just yet.

"When you're a young guy and you haven't been there, the urgency and desire to get that opportunity is such that you'd take just about any job given to you," said Del Rio, who was in charge in Jacksonville for nine seasons. "I don't feel that way now. If there's something that fits and the right situation comes along, so be it. But in the meantime, I'm all in, 100 percent as a lieutenant on this staff. I'm somebody that John Fox, John Elway ... and the players can count on. I'm 100 percent invested in helping them be their best."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...roncos-success

Old 12-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #292
huh??
Back in the 5280!

...pretty good at lurking.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

It seemed like a lot of fluff and fodder or PR-speak after, "If there's something that fits and the right situation comes along, so be it."
huh?? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #293
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by huh?? View Post
It seemed like a lot of fluff and fodder or PR-speak after, "If there's something that fits and the right situation comes along, so be it."
I'm sure he wants to be the HC. If something comes along, and he goes... good for him.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #294
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

After only one season?