The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default THIS IS GREAT!

This is awesome! What a fantastic football Sunday. Remember all the bad ****? The hard years? Griese and Plummer? TD's career ending injury? Cutler? Shanahan getting fired. Those ass-kickings at home by the Raiders and Chargers? McDaniels? The team in smoking ruin? Everybody blaming everybody? Tebow? The Tebowites? The discord? The fights? The near-riot on the Mane?

And now?

We are in the fields of Ambrosia. Elysium where Homer said, "... to the Elysian plain…where life is easiest for men. No snow is there, nor heavy storm, nor ever rain, but ever does Ocean send up blasts of the shrill-blowing West Wind that they may give cooling to men."

Not only are the Broncos in the playoffs, but they are a force to be reckoned with. Who wants to come to Denver and play these Broncos?

Nobody. That's who. Let us take a moment to breathe the exalted air. Enjoy.

Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
Armchair Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Remember all the bad ****? The hard years? Griese and Plummer? TD's career ending injury? Cutler? Shanahan getting fired.
Speak for yourself! The day Shannyham was fired was one of my happiest days as a Broncos fan.

The Mastermind should have moved to another team after Elway retired. Instead, like Captain Ahab, he took down the ship trying to prove that he could win without a team stocked with HOF-caliber players.

Well, that didn't work out so well, did it. Shannyham is doing great things with the Redskins. He just needed a change of venue. Too bad that change didn't happen back in 1998 after Super Bowl XXXIII.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
Speak for yourself! The day Shannyham was fired was one of my happiest days as a Broncos fan.

The Mastermind should have moved to another team after Elway retired. Instead, like Captain Ahab, he took down the ship trying to prove that he could win without a team stocked with HOF-caliber players.

Well, that didn't work out so well, did it. Shannyham is doing great things with the Redskins. He just needed a change of venue. Too bad that change didn't happen back in 1998 after Super Bowl XXXIII.
I wasn't saying it was good or bad, just that it created turmoil.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #4
enjolras
Ring of Famer

It's awesome. I'm having a blast.

Although you'd think we we're 0-13 right now from the tone of about 3/4 of the posts around here.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Get off my lawn, you kids!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:

Eh, I wouldn't call it GREAT. The Redskins are on top, but still barely over .500...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

We're not hanging net 50 pts on every team, we suck.

/signed debbie downers
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
Greatspirits
Perennial Pro-bowler

"Little Von!"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trev

Haven't felt this great or confident about the Bronx since the Super Bowl days!
Greatspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

The problem I have is deciding which I enjoy more, watching the defense or watching the offense.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #11
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:

more idiocy from know-nothing ingrates.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #12
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
The problem I have is deciding which I enjoy more, watching the defense or watching the offense.
Bingo. I used to specifically try NOT to watch when our defense was on the field. I LIKE this problem
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #13
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
Eh, I wouldn't call it GREAT. The Redskins are on top, but still barely over .500...

right dude. Shanahan is in the running for coach of the year, and has a rookie QB and RB playing out of their minds with a team suddenly 8-6, in first place in the NFC East despite injuries all over, including to the 3 best players on defense.

How is it that Bronco fans still don't appreciate how great of a HC Mike Shanahan is? Will you be frowning when he gets a bust in Canton?
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #14
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:

I liked Shanny, but he had too much power. Seems to happen every time they give all the power to the coaches it's just too much to handle. Same thing with homegrown in Seattle a few years back.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #15
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
I liked Shanny, but he had too much power. Seems to happen every time they give all the power to the coaches it's just too much to handle. Same thing with homegrown in Seattle a few years back.
I do not think it is the power that gets them, but the lack of building up their staff and Front office with quality people. Shanahan had tremendous coaches when they went to the SB's and then he started hiring buddies and guys who would do what he said instead of competent people for a long time.

He did not like collaboration at all, but wanted yes men and sycophants to build him up. It turned a real good talented team into a mediocre team that was supposedly "one or two players" away from greatness. In reality, he did a poor job of player, coach, and Front office acquisition and it finally bit him in the ass with mediocreness for too long due to those factors.

He is still a world class X's and O's guy, but he is a terrible HC and GM most days because of his philosophy on not having great people around him challenging him.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #16
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
I do not think it is the power that gets them, but the lack of building up their staff and Front office with quality people. Shanahan had tremendous coaches when they went to the SB's and then he started hiring buddies and guys who would do what he said instead of competent people for a long time.

He did not like collaboration at all, but wanted yes men and sycophants to build him up. It turned a real good talented team into a mediocre team that was supposedly "one or two players" away from greatness. In reality, he did a poor job of player, coach, and Front office acquisition and it finally bit him in the ass with mediocreness for too long due to those factors.

He is still a world class X's and O's guy, but he is a terrible HC and GM most days because of his philosophy on not having great people around him challenging him.
So Shanny suffers from a huge ego, which is what I've said all along. He's his own worst enemy, but such is the case with huge egos.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #17
milehighJC
Solid Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
+1

I will say that I had a lot of fun last year. Being at the Chicago game was a blast - I still think it was as loud as I have heard in the "new" stadium. Seeing the Broncos come back in seemingly impossible situations was fun, but nerve wracking. It was fun, but you knew in your brain if not your heart that they really were not that good. But winning was fun. It had been a long time. My daughters used the words "hot mess".

This year is a thing of beauty. Not since the Elway days have I felt that calm confidence that we are going to find a way to win. Not since those days have I seen crowds glued to the nearest TV on game day. I was at Winter Park yesterday and we came in for lunch early to watch for a while. The place completely ERUPTED on the interception return - it was unbelievably loud.

When I got home, I watched the game start to finish on the DVR, skipping from end of plays to the offense being lined up ready to snap. It is striking how efficient the offense looks when you view the game that way. It is a well oiled and exotic machine. The defense is fast, violent, and effective. Seems like a big play is always close... I never want to look away or risk missing an interception or a sack.

Its a good time to be a Broncos fan.
milehighJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #18
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
So Shanny suffers from a huge ego, which is what I've said all along. He's his own worst enemy, but such is the case with huge egos.
I just wish he would learn from his mistakes like Belichick did from his time in Cleveland. The problem is he won big right away as a HC in DEN. It cemented his philosophy and instead of growing and getting better he remains very adamant and stubborn on the non-football side of things.

I just hate it when people are their own worst enemies. I know I am mine, it took me awhile to figure that out. And guys like that really ignite a passion inside me to help them be better. That is why I do what I do. I take people and organizations from mediocre or good to great.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #19
CEH
Ring of Famer

NE presumably coming to town for a playoff game. Shades of 2005 but NE had a better team back then on an 8 game playoff win streak and Denver has a better team now. Plus when Brady looks across the LOS he will not see Joe Mays. This is a one month training camp for the NE Patriots and a fantastic playoff game
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #20
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Much like Seattle and SF, the Broncos have the right combination for beating the Pats.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #21
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Many former players recounts Shanny's style of college scouting as wanting to only see the players highlight film because as Mike would say "He hasn't been coached by me"
Old 12-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #22
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Lot of tough years. It feels quite frankly strange.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #23
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
This is awesome! What a fantastic football Sunday. Remember all the bad ****? The hard years? Griese and Plummer? TD's career ending injury? Cutler? Shanahan getting fired. Those ass-kickings at home by the Raiders and Chargers? McDaniels? The team in smoking ruin? Everybody blaming everybody? Tebow? The Tebowites? The discord? The fights? The near-riot on the Mane?

And now?

We are in the fields of Ambrosia. Elysium where Homer said, "... to the Elysian plain…where life is easiest for men. No snow is there, nor heavy storm, nor ever rain, but ever does Ocean send up blasts of the shrill-blowing West Wind that they may give cooling to men."

Not only are the Broncos in the playoffs, but they are a force to be reckoned with. Who wants to come to Denver and play these Broncos?

Nobody. That's who. Let us take a moment to breathe the exalted air. Enjoy.

The Manning effect
Old 12-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #24
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Well, we got the right response to the barometer game right?

We not only won it, we won it in convincing fashion on the road to a desperate team in need of a win to secure their playoff position. We basically eliminated them from having a chance at the bye.

So, not only is this great. It is a hell of a lot better than limping in and praying for miracles like last year
Old 12-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #25
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Well, we got the right response to the barometer game right?

We not only won it, we won it in convincing fashion on the road to a desperate team in need of a win to secure their playoff position. We basically eliminated them from having a chance at the bye.

So, not only is this great. It is a hell of a lot better than limping in and praying for miracles like last year
Yes is what I think as well. Statement Sunday. What do you think about going into the playoffs on an 11 game winning streak? I guess we'll see.

Hot is hot and that has been the recipe for success in the past couple years