The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #401
sinuous sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
Content? Definitely not. Understandably people aren't as affected as they were with Dunblane and Hungerford, but people here are following what's happened at Sandy Hook quite closely and no doubt people will care a lot more tomorrow as one of the victims was British (breaking news here as of 5 minutes ago).

The British public aren't oblivious to what goes on everyday in America, we do hear about your news and we are sadden. Regardless of what country it happened in, it's sad and ultimately a lot sadder as we know it's going to happen again and again yet nothing will happen due to despicable policies.

I don't want you all to think I'm attacking you for being Americans and what goes on in your country. I'm a person who just so happened to be born in London.
They only seem despicable because people aren't informed and are subject to emotional decisions on something requiring extensive study and reasoning. I understand the simple impulse of "someone shot people so let's ban guns," but the theory of gun control and data backing up said theory isn't convincing.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/...useronline.pdf

I understand the feeling, I do. It makes me sick to my core what happened yesterday, and if I believed banning guns would prevent those types of things from ever happening again, I would be all for it (constitutional liberties aside). But I don't think banning guns will do anything except exacerbate the problem. Society's ills have been misdiagnosed, and the cheap treatment of gun control that might make us feel better in the short-term only lets us get sicker.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #402
Blighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinuous sausage View Post
Individual human beings change, but that's the point of life. The human race itself does no such thing, and methinks it's dangerous to assume so.

And I agree, military people are consistently amongst the highest quality I come across in society.
I don't think it's dangerous to assume or contemplate the human race or sects of it changing it's collective conscience over time. Maybe it's just wishful thinking!

Btw cheers. I had a pretty annoying song stuck in my head and the Clash has helped get rid.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #403
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
I can accept if farmers need them, but why can't hunters have their guns at the local police station, for the guns to be checked in and out? There's absolutely no reason for anyone to own an assault rifle, absolutely no reason whatsoever. If people enjoy it as a hobby then maybe they should join or start a clay pigeon shooting group instead of slaughtering animals 'for fun'.Considering you can't ban people, guns is the obvious suggestion. 'Right to own a firearm', sounds as prehistoric as 'right to own a slave'.
Where did you come up with the term "slaughtering animals for fun"?

You do you realize that there are healthy herds of deer and elk in Colorado and Montana because of strictly regulated hunting seasons. They will often extend a season if there are not enough animals taken in some areas?
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #404
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Thread title should be changed, 26 died not 27.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #405
Blighty

Quote:
They only seem despicable because people aren't informed and are subject to emotional decisions on something requiring extensive study and reasoning. I understand the simple impulse of "someone shot people so let's ban guns," but the theory of gun control and data backing up said theory isn't convincing.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/...useronline.pdf

I understand the feeling, I do. It makes me sick to my core what happened yesterday, and if I believed banning guns would prevent those types of things from ever happening again, I would be all for it (constitutional liberties aside). But I don't think banning guns will do anything except exacerbate the problem. Society's ills have been misdiagnosed, and the cheap treatment of gun control that might make us feel better in the short-term only lets us get sicker.
Looks interesting, will give it a read sometime tomorrow as it's 4.30am here and I can barely read two sentences. I know that no one wants gun crime or events like yesterday to happen, but it'd be tragic if people admitted defeat to it and accepted the problem as being a norm.

I'm off to bed.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #406
sinuous sausage

http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.c...kable.html?m=1

holy ****
Old 12-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #407
Blighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Where did you come up with the term "slaughtering animals for fun"?

You do you realize that there are healthy herds of deer and elk in Colorado and Montana because of strictly regulated hunting seasons. They will often extend a season if there are not enough animals taken in some areas?
Yes.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #408
sinuous sausage

Quote:
Looks interesting, will give it a read sometime tomorrow as it's 4.30am here and I can barely read two sentences. I know that no one wants gun crime or events like yesterday to happen, but it'd be tragic if people admitted defeat to it and accepted the problem as being a norm.

I'm off to bed.
snuggle off, little bugger. finish your tea and be off to repose. make sure you hang up your knickers and say your prayers.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #409
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:

I'm off to bed.
Brush your teeth. For the love of god.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #410
sinuous sausage

http://www.hulu.com/watch/3516
Old 12-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #411
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:

I'm off to bed.
Good Night John Boy ..........
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #412
KO5K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Brush your teeth. For the love of god.
Bad teeth > dead kid.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #413
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:

Thanks for posting that. Enlightening.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #414
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I generally vote conservative.

But to the people who delude themselves into thinking that the ease of access of guns in this country does not exacerbate greatly the ability of crazies to go on mass killing sprees like this one...

Your'e ****ing stupid, and i hope you get erased from the gene pool soon.
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #415
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willynowei View Post

But to the people who delude themselves into thinking that the ease of access of guns in this country does not exacerbate greatly the ability of crazies to go on mass killing sprees like this one...

I don't think making them harder to buy makes it any better. Also restricting the kinds of guns doesn't help much either because any firearm can kill a lot of people. Was it even the rifle he used for most of the damage or a handgun.

So yes we have to have sane gun laws but I'm not sure that will stop the mass killing incidents. We need the laws just because its a good idea to do whatever we can to stop mentally disabled or criminals from easily buying them.

But gun control really hard to pass outside of token laws to limit high powered military style weapons.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #416
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

IMO since we can't get rid of guns 100% we need to think about money to make schools safer and more secure. These are really just domestic terrorists attacks and our schools are targeted. Going to have to make them harder to get into and think about letting principals or school security be armed. That wouldn't stop it either but maybe sometimes an armed principal or school officer can shoot the turd and limit how many get murdered.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #417
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Some imagery that's conforting to people has been posted here, which is great. Here's what brings comfort to me:

Victoria Soto, 27, a first-grade teacher at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., ushered her students into a closet, and in so doing placed her body between them and the assailant.

"She was found huddled over her children, her students, doing instinctively what she knew was the right thing,"

"But Ms Soto, 27, rushed towards the killer, blocking the bullets with her body.

Her cousin, Jim Wiltsie, said police had told him that she was trying to usher her pupils into a storage room when she came face-to-face with Lanza."

http://www.people.com/people/package...657003,00.html

Last edited by Fedaykin; 12-15-2012 at 11:21 PM..
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #418
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willynowei View Post

Taking guns away or making them illegal has done nothing to stop gun usage in Chicago or new York. While crime may be down the thugs still have guns.

It would have. Been easier to kill folks at the theater months ago by getting into a big rig and mowing them down as they stood in line to get in.

Or bringing in a can of gas and blowing the place up.

There is no way of stopping crazy people from killing others.

Had any of those teachers or front office staff had conceal carry licensees and been armed perhaps no one would have been killed. Or far fewer .. Same goes for the theater in Colorado.

Crazies will find a way. If they are on a mission.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:57 AM   #419
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Lonestar the problem with people carrying guns in public IMO is the fog of war type situations that arise when people start shooting. You could have situations where 2 citizens each think they other was the gunman when in fact both responding to try and help. Then police arrive and everyone has guns how do they know who is gunman, who is citizen etc. IMO the people with the guns need to be in uniform so we know they are supposed to have a gun.

I am all for right to own guns but just letting all of us carry them and expecting that to make things safe is insane.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:16 AM   #420
TomServo
Ring of Famer

Dancing is Forbidden!

Evil walks among us. even if other forces dont believe in evil. @ 30,000 people die in car wrecks every year. Wrecks! not accidents. someone is at fault. we could lower the max speed limit to 45 mph. but thats not practical. the same people that want gun laws are pretty much the same people that say drug laws are stupid. if a person wants to buy pot or coke can certanly buy a gun.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #421
ghostofjosh

I live in the next town over..i have felt sick to my stomach the last few days..seeing pictures of these kids is heartbreaking..our kids schools went into lockdown as well because of the other guy who was on the loose..longest day of my life...obama is coming here today..its so surreal..gutless peice of **** that guy was
Old 12-16-2012, 07:15 AM   #422
tesnyde
Paradigm Coordinator

Keepit nuttier than a squirrel turd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofjosh View Post
I live in the next town over..i have felt sick to my stomach the last few days..seeing pictures of these kids is heartbreaking..our kids schools went into lockdown as well because of the other guy who was on the loose..longest day of my life...obama is coming here today..its so surreal..gutless peice of **** that guy was
Nothin but time will bring any sort of comfort. We have never lost that sick feeling in Colorado since Columbine and Platt Canyon, we just don't have it 24/7 anymore.

I am bring Rachel's Challange to my school. I already had it scheduled, but more happy than ever to do it. If seen Rachel Scott's dad on TV a lot the last couple of days talking about how he has dealt with his pain. Tough. Time and being proactive against this crap has been his approach.
tesnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #423
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Lonestar the problem with people carrying guns in public IMO is the fog of war type situations that arise when people start shooting. You could have situations where 2 citizens each think they other was the gunman when in fact both responding to try and help. Then police arrive and everyone has guns how do they know who is gunman, who is citizen etc. IMO the people with the guns need to be in uniform so we know they are supposed to have a gun.

I am all for right to own guns but just letting all of us carry them and expecting that to make things safe is insane.
Supposedly the average number of people killed in a shooting rampage stopped by police is 14+.....just over 2 when it is stopped by private citizens who are armed

Last edited by errand; 12-16-2012 at 08:16 AM..
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #424
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
Firearm safety class does not mean approved firearm use. Lets face it, guns are prevalent in this country and aren't going away. Why not impart knowledge to the masses how to appropriately use them? More k pledge on the subject might make it easier for us to identify problems with individuals and the system.
I was talking about your draft idea.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #425
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Before you guys solve the human being violence problem you should at least fix the incorrect title of the thread.