The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #301
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
2 things you must do a test and other things go a license to hunt. Their is no requirement when buying a car.
Hunting license yes. Hunters safety class is fantastic. No test to own a gun.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #302
sinuous sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Or it could mean that if man invented god, then he has those attributes in himself and when he imagined a god, he invested him with those, what he considered the best parts of himself?
you're basically casting the human race as "god" in that case. human beings believe a lot of different things, including the belief that there is a god, which would sort out to god (as the human race) believing it wasn't god, in which case god would be wrong, in which case god would not be god.

I find it helpful to think of god independently of any experience I've had with his putative followers. he wouldn't be some bearded bloke in the sky raining down fireballs and helping the Broncos miraculously make the playoffs: he would instead be reality itself, and the force making the physical world and my reasoning in the physical world coherent. to give you an idea of where I'm coming from, if I were to perfectly prove that god does not exist in reality, I would immediately examine how such a reality came to be that I could understand so perfectly. the highest proof and reasoning of god's non-existence would almost serve to perfectly prove his existence. I really don't know.

edit:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_reason

here is an argument from arguably the most quotable human being ever, C.S. Lewis. I believe it's a more eloquent form than my half-formed notion presented above. I also think Hinduism had a pronounced effect on Lewis, as it has a very similar understanding of god.

Last edited by sinuous sausage; 12-15-2012 at 11:35 AM..
Old 12-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #303
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.bernard View Post
You are something else. Generally I like what you have to write about as far as the Broncos go. But if you really think that our society isn't slowly coming apart? Just wow. This has nothing whatsoever to do with being christian or anything else. wow. It even sounds like you were one of the idiots that voted for pot legalization.
You have my stance all wrong. I think there is a lot wrong in our society. To blame it on a lack of "God" in people's lives is ludicrous, simplistic answer to a very complex problem. I was making remarks towards posters who have pressed in this thread that a lack of Christian principle in our daily lives and furthermore, public education system is causing the degradation of the moral fiber in our society. That is a simply silly. It is also a self-righteous way for them to reinforce their own belief system and elevate themselves above non-believers, when without a doubt, they have plenty of work to do as individuals to become better people. (We all do.)

When I grew up, I was pulled around from church to church. I started out going to Catholic mass when I was just a boy. Most my family had a mass exodus from it in the early 90s and we ended up going to a Missouri Synod (sorry if that isn't the right spelling) Lutheran church that was extremely strict. I didn't like it, refused to join confirmation classes with my school friends and when I was a teenager, we jumped to a Methodist church, which I didn't mind at all -- but I just never really understood why I was drug there all the time against my own will.

I have had many bad experiences with church leaders and organizations who have been extremely judgmental in regards to things regarding my family and me personally. I could never understand how such "good" people could do and say such bad things. It was a major turn off.

Nobody is a perfect person, but I am in firm in my belief that most all Christians today use their faith as a trump/carrying card to profess themselves to be of a higher moral standing than others, when they most certainly are not. They are also doing using their faith as a political tool to try and force feed their systemic beliefs onto other people and the general populous. I think that is very dangerous, especially when we live in a country that embodies a separation from church and state.

Suffice it to say, I have quite a few religious friends, and interestingly enough, they are undoubtedly more judgmental than my non-religious counterparts. It is a true observation that can be demonstrably measured based on the course of events that have taken place in my life. My non-religious friends tend to be more kind, more accepting and apt to free and critical thinking skills.

I saw past the mind control of organized religion years ago and will never go back to it. EVER. And no, I wasn't in WA, CO or OR so I didn't get to vote for pot legalization. I definitely would have if given the chance. There is absolutely not reason for the federal government to be wasting time and resources fighting a plant that has been used by humans cross-culturally for thousands of years.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by Requiem; 12-15-2012 at 11:44 AM..
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #304
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
It had nothing to do with my post. I was making a legitimate point about a legitimate question. You were insulting my mother. Would you like to meet somewhere and resolve it, or are you a chicken **** little weasel?
Anytime, toughguy.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #305
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Proberbs 22:6:

"Train a child up on the way they should go and when they are old, they will not turn from it."

Demoralizing moral decay and lack of values on many fronts is what is turning these aimless, hopeless, beliefless psychopaths into mass murderers.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #306
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
Trying so solve individual violence by requiring people to take part in unified violence?
Firearm safety class does not mean approved firearm use. Lets face it, guns are prevalent in this country and aren't going away. Why not impart knowledge to the masses how to appropriately use them? More k pledge on the subject might make it easier for us to identify problems with individuals and the system.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #307
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Anytime, toughguy.
Fight!
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #308
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
Hunting license yes. Hunters safety class is fantastic. No test to own a gun.
You have to fill out background check.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #309
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
This has nothing to do with religion or guns.

This has to do with an 20 year old autistic male. He had a condition...he was obviously unable to feel anything for another human being, or anyone else. This isn't about a criminal who went out and sought for guns to plan and scheme this operation. This is about a human who is INCAPABLE of feeling for someone else, and thinking like a "normal" person would.

This is about mental health... guns is a cop out. I have no idea what religion is doing in here.
Interesting that you pointed this out. I hadn't heard that he had a condition associated with mental health. Wonder how many pills and psychosomatic drugs they pacified him with in order to change him. In my eyes, that is one of the things that is messed up in our society.

Child a little anxious, rambunctious, etc.? No worries parents, we will give them pill after pill to sedate them!
Old 12-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #310
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Haven't really read through the thread but there is a special place in hell for the monster that did this. My heart is broken for those kids and family.
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #311
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoDoug View Post
Haven't really read through the thread but there is a special place in hell for the monster that did this. My heart is broken for those kids and family.
The Cocytus. You must have not read Dante's Inferno.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #312
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Anytime, toughguy.
What if he picks a really inconvenient time? Will you counter-offer, or just drop what you're doing and go?

(Edit: You both would have been screwed if he replied with "Right now!". Unless of course you are neighbors. Then the two of you could have received your satisfaction from each other.)

Last edited by Pendejo; 12-15-2012 at 12:44 PM..
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #313
swaiy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Interesting that you pointed this out. I hadn't heard that he had a condition associated with mental health. Wonder how many pills and psychosomatic drugs they pacified him with in order to change him. In my eyes, that is one of the things that is messed up in our society.

Child a little anxious, rambunctious, etc.? No worries parents, we will give them pill after pill to sedate them!
That's a very broad generalization of medication meant to aid mental illness and disorders.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #314
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaiy View Post
That's a very broad generalization of medication meant to aid mental illness and disorders.
Our society is over-medicated, with people being put on mind-altering pills when it really isn't necessary. Not a fan of stuff like that. Do you disagree with the idea that we are over-medicated? A pill for everything! Have six at dinner brah!
Old 12-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #315
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Using Dead children to attack an opposing posters belief is hypocritical.
He is a punk that has no core values. his one line potshots/attacks on just about anything not juvelinile should tell you just about everything you need to value his commentary.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #316
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo View Post
What if he picks a really inconvenient time? Will you counter-offer, or just drop what you're doing and go?

(Edit: You both would have been screwed if he replied with "Right now!". Unless of course you are neighbors. Then the two of you could have received your satisfaction from each other.)
He's in Tulsa. On my way now. Should be there in two hours.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #317
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Anyway. Anybody who doesn't question the existence of God after an event like this has neither a brain, nor free will.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #318
El Minion
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Only simple minded fools would try to link a madman's shooting to the moral decay of society, aka -- an unchristian nation. Take your holier than thou attitude and shove it up your asses and stop trying to justify your belief system because of these tragic events. Using dead children to promote your agenda is ****ing sick.
El Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #319
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Anyway. Anybody who doesn't question the existence of God after an event like this has neither a brain, nor free will.
Is your concept of God similar to Superman?
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #320
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Is your concept of God similar to Superman?
The main part I'm having trouble with is the benevolent, loving father part of the god personality. I'm just not seeing much evidence for that lately. Of course, the death of children creates a much stronger, emotional response for me. Especially a death as horrific as this.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #321
g6matty

Yolo
Old 12-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #322
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Anytime, toughguy.
Did Spider morph into the Doc or is this Spider's Alternate account where he is somewhat normal and smart?
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #323
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Proberbs 22:6:

"Train a child up on the way they should go and when they are old, they will not turn from it."

Demoralizing moral decay and lack of values on many fronts is what is turning these aimless, hopeless, beliefless psychopaths into mass murderers.
Love is what is missing. ( Love for Self and One [another] ) These current events are a clear sign of the tribulation preceding the death of Duality which is necessary to give way to a New Age of love and understanding of the One (I Am). We are reaping what has been sown and the innocent are not spared. It will get worse before it gets better. It is wise to solace in the eternity of the soul.

This is what is meant by End Times it is not the end of the world but the end of Duality and the cruelty, greed and materialism that it breeds.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #324
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
The main part I'm having trouble with is the benevolent, loving father part of the god personality. I'm just not seeing much evidence for that lately. Of course, the death of children creates a much stronger, emotional response for me. Especially a death as horrific as this.
Assume for a second that God prevented every tragedy from occurring. How many generations would it take before not one person alive saw any need for a god? Tops 3.

God made people in his image for his glory. God is not made by man for man's glory.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #325
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Assume for a second that God prevented every tragedy from occurring. How many generations would it take before not one person alive saw any need for a god? Tops 3.

God made people in his image for his glory. God is not made by man for man's glory.
exactly. I amazes me why people say ,"Why would God allow this tragedy to happen?" We are not robots. If you believe in God and follow his way, good things should happen for all. He allows us humans to do what comes from us. Nothing is perfect. We have mental illnesses, desires, lust, etc. Maybe there is a certain episode in life when he will make his presense known and stop a catastrophy. Maybe he already has and we have no way of knowing it.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote