The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #226
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Don't most schools have armed police officers nowadays anyways? I know that I did in middle school and high school -- which I think was pushed big time after Columbine. I wonder if this school did. . . probably not because it was an elementary school.
They had recently put in a security system which included having to ring a door bell to get into the building. They are wondering how he got in. I'm thinking they knew him as the son of one of the teachers and may have let him in. But have to wonder with the way they said he was dressed.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #227
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Lol. No, it isn't. Spend about 5 minutes on an OB/GYN rotation and you will quickly change your mind. I have some stories that would blow your mind and render your involuntarily circumcised penis permanently flaccid.
Yeah, the number of healthy, hot 18-35 somethings visiting an OBGYN are probably pretty small.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #228
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
Unbelievably sad day for our country.

Agreed doc. I'm not sure sure being born with a pecker means you have the right to breed. I've said it before. When you adopt a dog from the pound they at least interview you and some of them even check your property. Any dude with a pecker can spread his seed and walk away no questions asked.

On a serious note I think the problem isn't so much as gun control as the mental health of our nation. Not sure what policy is now but years ago someone had to be a danger to themselves or others before someone could be admitted against their will for healthcare. Maybe that's changed. Bottom line is we have a lot of sick people walking around.
I used to moonlight in various emergency rooms during my surgical residency, and frequently had to deal with the suicidal / homicidal threat types. I would call the local mental health and law enforcement agencies, thus transferring the liability away from myself.... but it usually took an egregious act to get an involuntary emergency detention. Just acting crazy and saying you want to kill yourself and/or others rarely qualified.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #229
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
They had recently put in a security system which included having to ring a door bell to get into the building. They are wondering how he got in. I'm thinking they knew him as the son of one of the teachers and may have let him in. But have to wonder with the way they said he was dressed.
The buzzer system only goes into effect at 9;30 AM before that anyone can get in. Don't understand that one?

The killer's mother also worked at the school so they probably knew him.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #230
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
I wonder what would have become to the teacher or parent who willfully carried a concealed weapon on those premises (despite the laws and signs against firearms in schools), and then successfully stopped this monster? Life in prison?
A knife in the right hands can stop a gunman. Less than 3 1/2 inch blades are legal. There's many a knife with less than 3 1/2 inch blades that are pretty badass. Just saying.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #231
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Who would let someone dressed like that in?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #232
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
This post means nothing without pictures.
Picture yourself standing in completely saturated socks and shoes. The wetness derived from meconium stained amniotic fluid.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #233
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Picture yourself standing in completely saturated socks and shoes. The wetness derived from meconium stained amniotic fluid.
Dude I just ate!!!!!
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #234
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
Dude I just ate!!!!!
That's nothing in comparison to some other shiat that I probably need therapy to get over. I had to do a month on OB/GYN as a med student, then another month as an intern. Worst two months of my life.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #235
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Don't most schools have armed police officers nowadays anyways? I know that I did in middle school and high school -- which I think was pushed big time after Columbine. I wonder if this school did. . . probably not because it was an elementary school.
Sure, if you go to school in Barter Town.

I honestly don't think any schools in the entire state of Mass have full time armed police officers, no matter how bad the area. Especially not elementary schools.

I'd be shocked if more than 10% of schools in the country had armed officers permanently in place in them.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #236
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Sure, if you go to school in Barter Town.

I honestly don't think any schools in the entire state of Mass have full time armed police officers, no matter how bad the area. Especially not elementary schools.

I'd be shocked if more than 10% of schools in the country had armed officers permanently in place in them.
If it were up to me, I'd say that any place that bans concealed weapons must provide armed security and metal detection check-in like an airport or court house... otherwise law abiding citizens should be able to protect themselves by any means.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #237
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
The buzzer system only goes into effect at 9;30 AM before that anyone can get in. Don't understand that one?

The killer's mother also worked at the school so they probably knew him.
Yeah that's what I said about the mother. But now they are reporting that she was unemployed. She was actually a teachers aid. So many different stories.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #238
Rother8
Seasoned Veteran

Mhmugggggeeeee

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I wonder if the people in the middle east with children killed by drone strikes (often completely innocent) will get this much attention and empathy.
Rother8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #239
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Just have to say that I held it together today, primarily being in shock, over this deplorable act. But seeing some of the parents who experienced the greatest loss of their lives, experiencing every parents greatess nightmare, took away the shock and brought the unbearable reality of what these parents are going through. It is a freak of nature to lose a child and in such a horrific way I can only imagine from being a mother the depths of their grief. I never ever want to know that reality and my prayers will include those parents tonight. As someone said, these children were all of our children today and that is true. My heart is truly broken.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #240
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rother8 View Post
I wonder if the people in the middle east with children killed by drone strikes (often completely innocent) will get this much attention and empathy.
C'mon dude. Many of us have felt anguish of what happens to any innocent child in situations like that. People can mourn without pages on a message board. I really don't feel this is the time or place for you to start condemning people for your perceived opinion.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #241
colorado jones
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
You should move there and find out.

Don't forget to write.
colorado jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #242
Rother8
Seasoned Veteran

Mhmugggggeeeee

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
C'mon dude. Many of us have felt anguish of what happens to any innocent child in situations like that. People can mourn without pages on a message board. I really don't feel this is the time or place for you to start condemning people for your perceived opinion.

I do agree that one was in poor taste. I'll start over.

I think it's awful that senseless murders are being committed anywhere on the globe.

Perhaps with all the attention tragedies like these generate over the internet that people will become less and less accepting of anything involving human suffering that's not 100% necessary. Immediate, global response to these horrible outcomes is something that wasn't here 20 years ago and hopefully, through shared experiences and common sense, we can better prepare society towards not tolerating any of this kind of bull ****.
Rother8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #243
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
I do agree that one was in poor taste. I'll start over.

I think it's awful that senseless murders are being committed anywhere on the globe.
It's simple, natural, logical human nature for pack animals (humans) to tend to their own.... those close in proximity. It's literally a function of nature.

Let people here grieve and keep your political bull**** out.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #244
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Since god is omniscient, omnipresent and omnieverything else (see? I remember my catechism) I'm presuming he was sitting, or standing, or floating somewhere or other, and observed this entire thing taking place. He heard every prayer. Every cry for mercy. Every cry for mommy. In other words, he watched. What's the point of being omnipowerful if you don't take action? And now the community is praying to him to help them get through this? This is why religion requires a leap of faith. Logically, it is insane.

The only way it makes sense is if the crazy ape himself made up this god. Then, it makes perfect sense.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #245
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Since god is omniscient, omnipresent and omnieverything else (see? I remember my catechism) I'm presuming he was sitting, or standing, or floating somewhere or other, and observed this entire thing taking place. He heard every prayer. Every cry for mercy. Every cry for mommy. In other words, he watched. What's the point of being omnipowerful if you don't take action? And now the community is praying to him to help them get through this? This is why religion requires a leap of faith. Logically, it is insane.

The only way it makes sense is if the crazy ape himself made up this god. Then, it makes perfect sense.
I'm not religious but your "argument" dumbs down the concept of god to fit your disdain for the concept. You're far more intelligent that I am, and you know that almost all religions believe god created man with free will.

I'm not going to get into god here because I don't feel the need to justify any belief I may have, or denigrate yours.

But I am going to leave this thread, as it's clear that in typical fashion... people are using the death's of children to advance their own political agendas.

Peace.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #246
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:

Pacino explains it perfectly here:

Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #247
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Go talk to a minister about why god lets bad things happen. We have free will and there is a fight between good and evil. And if god isnt real believing in him can still be for good because the tenets of the religion are good ones. More religion and prayer in school wouldn't stop things like this but it could help some. Also belonging to a church is a good support group for millions of people. Even if your not religious you have to see that the church does a lot of good for people.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #248
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

It seems like every week there is a new tragedy of the week on the Mane. Be nice for a week to go by without some earth shattering type tragedy so we can just talk football.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #249
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
If it were up to me, I'd say that any place that bans concealed weapons must provide armed security and metal detection check-in like an airport or court house... otherwise law abiding citizens should be able to protect themselves by any means.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #250
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

Quote:

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?
- Epicurus
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote