The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #126
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

I haven't gone through all the posts in this thread, but I will say this.

RGIII was raised in a military officer family, and he acts like the son of a military officer: responsible, respectful, polite and hard-working.

I wonder if those are "non-black" qualities as per Rob Parker.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #127
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

One of my roomates from back in college is black. He was raised in the hood, but was constantly made fun of for "acting white." He got a basketball scholarship to Kent, and his father worked his ass off to pay the rest of the tuition. He got into DU on a basketball scholarship. His fiance is white. Now he's a big shot financial accountant in Toronto.

I did get pissed off at him once when I brought home KFC and he ate all of it before I had a chance to get any - in a purely racist, stereotypical sort of way, that was the "blackest" thing I ever saw him do. But he's got a pretty good life now, and it's mostly from "acting white" (as per Mr. Parker).

I always told him he kinda reminded me of Tiger Woods:

Last edited by Mogulseeker; 12-14-2012 at 01:08 PM..
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #128
bombay
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Robert Griffin III. Obviously he has two brothers.

Yeah. George Foreman and George Foreman.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #129
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

The only reason Mrs Bean ever agreed to go out on a date with me was because I convinced her I was black from the waist down.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #130
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
The only reason Mrs Bean ever agreed to go out on a date with me was because I convinced her I was black from the waist down.
You braid your pubic hair?
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #131
huh??
Back in the 5280!

...pretty good at lurking.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

It seems to me that Rob Parker should change his name to a more "brutha" sounding name, since he's concerned about "blackness".
huh?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #132
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by huh?? View Post
It seems to me that Rob Parker should change his name to a more "brutha" sounding name, since he's concerned about "blackness".
Now that you mention it, Robert Griffin the Third is about the whitest sounding name you could have. Any time you toss a numeral onto the end of your name you sound like some uppity white rich a-hole.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #133
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
Now that you mention it, Robert Griffin the Third is about the whitest sounding name you could have. Any time you toss a numeral onto the end of your name you sound like some uppity white rich a-hole.
man...I wish I was rich
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #134
huh??
Back in the 5280!

...pretty good at lurking.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post

Yeah, he should have gone the way of George Forman, George Forman, George Forman, George Forman (his daughter), George Forman, and... damn; I can't remember how many kids he has. Five?
huh?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #135
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

I know a lot of black guys named Robert. I know black folks with the last name Griffin. You know, we all don't have names like Tyrone, or names that start with "La" lol
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #136
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
I know a lot of black guys named Robert. I know black folks with the last name Griffin. You know, we all don't have names like Tyrone, or names that start with "La" lol
I thought if someone was from the hood, they had to have a prefix to start off their name.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #137
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Rob Parker is a gigantic moron and yet somehow he continues to be gainfully employed by major companies.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #138
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

The Tiger comparison is interesting. Really, RG3 saying he doesn't want his race to be an issue is kind of what we're going for, right? But then you see comments like these where the Black community takes pride in their racial distinctiveness and believes a certain set of behaviors and dress equate to being part of that community.

Shouldn't it not matter? I kind of get what Jason in LA is saying - that there is a perception that Tiger eschewed his black heritage seemingly out of disdain or embarrassment - like he was rejecting it because he was too good for it now. But really how is that different than what Rob Parker is doing just on a more extreme scale? He has more criteria, but the overall message is the same: To be a black person you need to do "whatever" and that has to be consistent with how we are or you're a sellout/uncle Tom.

I think it cuts both ways. Successful minorities have to ballance being succesful and fighting for a world that doesn't see race as anything other than a genetic marking, but then if they don't tout their herritage enough the way the community thinks, they are criticized. You can't have all these things that make you a distinct people and then complain about not being accepted.

Last edited by Kaylore; 12-14-2012 at 02:27 PM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #139
bombay
Ring of Famer

I don't blame Griffin for not wanting to be compared to every black QB who ever played, which is what always happens. He's more Steve Youngish than than Vince Youngish.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #140
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

the problem with most African Americans like Rob Parker is that they want every successful African American to trumpet being a African American who is successful rather than a person who is successful.

RGIII,Tiger,Obama are the main examples they use as not being "black" enough.
i am told constantly by other African Americans that i am not "black" because i'm not as stereotypical as they are.
that's one of the issues with seeing things in terms of race instead of in terms of being a person.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #141
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
I thought if someone was from the hood, they had to have a prefix to start off their name.
John, you must be an honorary negro, because if you weren't I'd slap you through your computer screen. lol

We ain't all from the hood.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #142
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
the problem with most African Americans like Rob Parker is that they want every successful African American to trumpet being a African American who is successful rather than a person who is successful.

i am told constantly by other African Americans that i am not "black" because i'm not as stereotypical as they are.
that's one of the issues with seeing things in terms of race instead of in terms of being a person.
Is this really true? I don't know anyone black that feels this way.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #143
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
The Tiger comparison is interesting. Really, RG3 saying he doesn't want his race to be an issue is kind of what we're going for, right? But then you see comments like these where the Black community takes pride in their racial distinctiveness and believes a certain set of behaviors and dress equate to being part of that community.

Shouldn't it not matter? I kind of get what Jason in LA is saying - that there is a perception that Tiger eschewed his black heritage seemingly out of disdain or embarrassment - like he was rejecting it because he was too good for it now. But really how is that different than what Rob Parker is doing just on a more extreme scale? He has more criteria, but the overall message is the same: To be a black person you need to do "whatever" and that has to be consistent with how we are or you're a sellout/uncle Tom.

I think it cuts both ways. Successful minorities have to ballance being succesful and fighting for a world that doesn't see race as anything other than a genetic marking, but then if they don't tout their herritage enough the way the community thinks, they are criticized. You can't have all these things that make you a distinct people and then complain about not being accepted.
I'd say that it is true for any race or group, that when an individual from that group succeeds where that groups usually doesn't, people from that group have a sense of pride. For black folks, we love the Williams sisters. When Tiger Woods hit the scene, we were all in. Obama is damn near a saint.

Think of Jeremy Lin, he was, and probably still is, huge in the Asian communities. So was Yao Ming.

Mexicans are always going to support Mexican boxers.

I'd say that white folks liked seeing Payton Hillis rush for 1,000 yards.

There is nothing wrong with any of that.

A black QB is still huge in the black community. Even though there are more black QBs than ever, and it is far less of an issues as it was in the past, actually, it's not really even an issue anymore, most QBs are still white. It just it what it is, and there is nothing wrong with that. So black folks are loving RG3, and there is nothing wrong with that. I did feel that it was time to get off Michael Vick, even though a lot of black folks stayed on that bandwagon. I never thought he was a good QB, and then the dog fighting. It was time to stop supporting that guy.

With Rob Parker's comments about RG3, I'd say that he was out of line because RG3 has not shown that he isn't "down with us." He's educated and has a white girlfriend. I see nothing wrong with that (the educated part is great, the white girlfriend, to each his own). He wants to be compared to the best, not just other black QBs. I love that. He's a Republican. My pops is a Republican, and all his friends are black.

I feel bad for RG3 that the topic was brought up without him showing that he was trying to separate himself from being black. Parker was wrong for bringing that up on a national show. If he wants to talk about that in the barber shop, or off the airwaves, so be it. But he shouldn't have said that in front of a national audience, whether on TV, radio, or in print.

Now Tiger Woods, the way Kaylor phrased it, "eschewed his black heritage seemingly out of disdain or embarrassment - like he was rejecting it because he was too good for it now," that's the way I see it, and I don't like it. That doesn't mean that I hate the guy, or wish bad things for him. I could care less. I'm just not a fan. I don't need him to act black (certainly don't need him to do the crip walk like Serena did). But if he had some pride in being black (as well as other ethnic groups that he's a part of), I'd be a fan of his on some level.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #144
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

^ would've never guessed you were a black dude.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #145
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with that (the educated part is great, the white girlfriend, to each his own).
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #146
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Is this really true? I don't know anyone black that feels this way.
there are plenty that feel that way. that's why you had so many act as though Obama wasn't black enough after he didn't get a Jefferson's reference correct.
or felt he let them down because he didn't have a "black" agenda when he was in office during his first term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
^ would've never guessed you were a black dude.
most guess that i'm a cantankerous 51 year old white dude.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #147
El Minion
Ring of Famer

Quote:
So do I, and his name is Peter

El Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #148
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
most guess that i'm a cantankerous 51 year old white dude.
Haha, that's kinda what I was thinking!
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #149
Agamemnon

What the **** is that dude talking about? Nutjob...
Old 12-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #150
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

So RG4, if he's half-white, what is he supposed to be? My guess is he'll still be considered "black" by some people, supposed to act brotha sometimes, supposed to act Ivy League sometimes. Expected to act like one culture sometimes, like the other sometimes, depending on the situation.

That's some tough expectations to put on a kid.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote