The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #51
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

This is beyond freakin terrible. And no punishment of the shooter(s) would be enough.
So sad

Tell me why only America has such an issue with gun violence?
I'm not saying straight ban guns, but automatic weapons, why does an individual need one?
There needs to be a lot stricter gun regulations, and I hate to say it but stricter things to put in Gun Free zones. I mean, are we going to need to either carry a handgun with us at all times, or have metal detectors/etc. to walk through every single place we go?
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #52
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

^ Gun free zones mean tougher prosecution but also means no self defense. Obviously, a shooter and suicide minded shooter looks at that and knows that no one will be defending themselves. It is a catch 22 scenario.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #53
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
Without guns then it just as easliy could be a gallon of gas and match, banning guns, knives or forks will not stop someone from doing bad things..

BTW getting a guns is not like walking in the grocery store and picking one up.. there are checks and balances involved already.. Obviously not enough..
Man in China today stabbed 22 school children.
Children it's just sicking to think this kids had no chance
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #54
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Quote:
Without guns then it just as easliy could be a gallon of gas and match, banning guns, knives or forks will not stop someone from doing bad things..
Forking a person to death is a different mental process than polling a trigger. If you can't see the difference between killing with drones or your bare hands, you're probably also unwilling to deal with this problem from any psychological perspective.

Last edited by Pseudofool; 12-14-2012 at 12:04 PM..
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #55
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
Forking person to death is a different mental process than polling a trigger. If you can't see the difference between killing with drones or your bare hands, you're probably also unwilling to deal with this problem from any psychological perspective.
You really think someone that did this will be stopped if you made guns illegal? Killing people is illegal too.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #56
sinuous sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
I mean, are we going to need to either carry a handgun with us at all times
some see it this^ way
Old 12-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #57
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Police say the shooters mother, a teacher at the school, is one of those found dead.
****s going all to hell.
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #58
pootz22
Rookie

God bless all those touched by this event, including the brave first responders who witness things no one should. None of those children could have done anything to anyone.

Absolutely horrible events with malls, schools, movie theatres...
pootz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #59
tesnyde
Paradigm Coordinator

Keepit nuttier than a squirrel turd

This is horrible. I'm a high school principal and this is my biggest fear. Prayers. I would add that to say Europe is better than us and immune to this is completely false. Germany, Finland, Scotland, and Russia have all had school shootings. Many other European countries have had other types of Mass shootings, many this last decade. Research it and check your facts. This is not just an American problem. A Mass school shooting recently happened in Brazil and countries such as Canada, India, Israel, and Argentina have had them as well, and this not complete list.
tesnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #60
sinuous sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by myMind View Post
Police say the shooters mother, a teacher at the school, is one of those found dead.
****s going all to hell.
I mean, what can you do with such a person? protect yourself, pretty much.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #61
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
You really think someone that did this will be stopped if you made guns illegal? Killing people is illegal too.
We don't know the details, but yes, I think making access more difficult to weapons that can kill with ease would curb killing. I'm not suggesting banning guns, but certainly semi-automatic, and concealable weapons shouldn't be available at your local gun show. It's a slippery slope no matter where we draw the line in legality of weaponry, but I think we can make sensible policy without giving up our second amendment rights.

We don't know how deeply the murderous desire runs in any individual, but making killing more difficult can only help that desire run out before it results in more death.

It's important to note that often the people responsible for these kinds of mass shootings were not criminals before hand. And we often find a track record of pleas for help...

Look, alternatively, I'd love to have robust, public mental health access for everyone, but that will be expensive and this a generalization, but usually those who fight for gun rights the most rabidly, also don't care for taxes or social welfare. If we want to allow easy access to dangerous weapons, let's have a more access to mental health care.

Last edited by Pseudofool; 12-14-2012 at 12:15 PM..
Old 12-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #62
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

No small part of this ugly barbarization has been due to sheer physical congestion: a diagnosis now partly confirmed with scientific experiments with rats – for when they are placed in equally congested quarters, they exhibit the same symptoms of stress, alienation, hostility, sexual perversion, parental incompetence, and rabid violence that we now find in the Megalopolis. Lewis Mumford
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #63
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around this. Having a child in high school, this type of stuff makes me worry, because I can't always be there to protect him, and he's at an age where he's able to go out on his own more often.

In this case, small children, the thought of them being helpless. As a parent you drop your kid off and you would never imagine something like this. The thought of not being their to protect your child, that's just a horrible feeling.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #64
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesnyde View Post
This is horrible. I'm a high school principal and this is my biggest fear. Prayers. I would add that to say Europe is better than us and immune to this is completely false. Germany, Finland, Scotland, and Russia have all had school shootings. Many other European countries have had other types of Mass shootings, many this last decade. Research it and check your facts. This is not just an American problem. A Mass school shooting recently happened in Brazil and countries such as Canada, India, Israel, and Argentina have had them as well, and this not complete list.
Really don't think now is an appropriate time or place to have this conversation. The issue is frequency of said attacks occurring in this country when compared to many of the countries mentioned (and the number of people compared to the population killed in this fashion). But again, a time and a place for everything.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #65
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

It's almost unfair that this guy is dead, and not around to answer for this, and then get the crap beat out of him everyday in prison until he meets his end there, in a painful fashion. He got off easy.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #66
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
No small part of this ugly barbarization has been due to sheer physical congestion: a diagnosis now partly confirmed with scientific experiments with rats – for when they are placed in equally congested quarters, they exhibit the same symptoms of stress, alienation, hostility, sexual perversion, parental incompetence, and rabid violence that we now find in the Megalopolis. Lewis Mumford
That's interesting, but a simplification, and sadly cynical.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #67
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

Quote:

BTW getting a guns is not like walking in the grocery store and picking one up.. there are checks and balances involved already.. Obviously not enough..
Seeing these stories happening all the time in Europe.

The European results speak for themselves.
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #68
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Not sure if they ID'd the wrong guy or if someone hacked his FB account

But the Ryan Lanza guy started posting on his FB that he was not the shooter and was at work before his FB page dissapeared
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #69
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
That's interesting, but a simplification, and sadly cynical.
Actually, it was based on a study of rats in 1962. When you place a number of rats in an environment that can easily sustain them, it is a peaceable kingdom. As you add more rats, they become crazier and crazier until finally, with enough rats, the entire social fabric disintegrates and they resort to murder and cannibalism.

We have a whole generation of twenty somethings now, many of whom are finding out that the economy has no place for them, there are no jobs, and they have no value. Expect more of this, not less.
http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/.../en/index.html

Last edited by Rohirrim; 12-14-2012 at 12:34 PM..
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #70
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Man, this leave me absolutely numb. Today is kinda of day that I hope there is hell and this ****er will experience those horrors forever.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #71
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer

In Manning We Trust......

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

killed his father in NJ then drove to Conn for the rampage. what a piece of crap to take the lives of innocent children. go off yourself in your basement or somewhere else. leave innocent kids out it. hug your children! sad sad day
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #72
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Awful. As a father, it makes me sick to my stomach.

Two thoughts (the first being more important, IMO):
1) We really need to put a lot more emphasis (and a lot less stigma) on mental health care in this country. Seeing a therapist should be as normal as seeing your primary care physician. I have been seeing one regularly for the past year or so, and it has been very helpful, although I still feel some shame for doing so. (Even though I understand there is no reason for that) Most of these horrific incidents could have been averted had these people sought/been provided help.

2) I'm not an anti-gun crusader, but we do really have an issue with guns in this country. There are 300 million guns in private hands in the US. Far and away more per capita than any where else in the world:

Guns per 100 people (Top ten countries):
United States 88.8
Serbia 58.2
Yemen 54.8
Switzerland 45.7
Cyprus 36.4
Saudi Arabia 35
Iraq 34.2
Finland 32
Uruguay 31.8
Sweden 31.6

Every time an incident like this come up, I see an argument that, "It could have been prevented had some one else had a gun to stop them." I'm sorry, but the answer can not be that we need _more_ guns. We need fewer guns, and fewer assault weapons out there, and stricter checks to getting them (no gun show loopholes, etc). It isn't going to stop all of these things from happening, but it is going to prevent some of them. We should be working towards creating a more responsible gun culture instead of creating a larger and more heavily armed gun culture.

My heart goes out to all the parents in Connecticut today. I don't have the words.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #73
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Actually, it was based on a study of rats in 1962. When you place a number of rats in an environment that can easily sustain them, it is a peaceable kingdom. As you add more rats, they become crazier and crazier until finally, with enough rats, the entire social fabric disintegrates and they resort to murder and cannibalism.

We have a whole generation of twenty somethings now, many of whom are finding out that the economy has no place for them, there are no jobs, and they have no value. Expect more of this, not less.
http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/.../en/index.html
Oh I get the import, but it's still cynical and simplistic. Humans aren't rats, and while the economic sustainability is deplorable, I'm not sure that the close quarters of people had much to do with the shooting. Perhaps in our growing number we can neglect the margins and let crazy grow unfettered, but that's a shame not erased by the fact there are too many of us.

That said, yes, I generally agree, things are ****ed.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #74
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Man in China today stabbed 22 school children.
Children it's just sicking to think this kids had no chance
Worth noting, none of those kids in China died, only wounded. Terrible incident to be sure, proof there are sick people all over, but we also have a clear case of two men setting out to kill a bunch of kids, only one of them had access to a semi-automatic.

Guns are simply many many times more effective at killing people than knives. Ignoring this fact, even if you do ultimately come down on the side of defending current gun rights, is insane. When a sick person has an outburst and decides to attack a school in a country where it is hard to access guns vs a country that does everything it can to make that easy...the results speak for themselves.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #75
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

The worst mass school murder in American history took place on May 18,1927 in Bath Township, Mich., when a former school board member set off three bombs that killed 45 people.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote