The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #26
pootz22
Rookie

Absolutely sickening! Most kids are in one kindergarden class. Someone in school office turned onP/A system as principle was arguing with shooter. Saved lives. I live in rocky hill area 70 miles northeast.

Having a newborn, 4 & 7 yr olds, its absolutely horrifing
pootz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #27
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
It's the end-result of a culture that embraces violence as a positive quality. We fight wars and wave flags. Our biggest movies are *about* violence. Our video games are by and large *about* violence. When I think about the world I was raised in, it's stunning.

So you put someone who is mentally on edge in that culture and then give them easy access to guns. What happens next is no surprise.
I def. think it has something to do with it. We, as a society, glorify it.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #28
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinuous sausage View Post
I'm not really a fan of this line of thought. it's like when people blamed Marilyn Manson for Columbine. the ****ers who shot up the place are the responsible party. you start singling out peripheral causes and pretty much the whole of human existence is on the table.
This is the second mass shooting THIS FREAKING WEEK. There have been three of these in the last six months.

Something is clearly and unbelievably wrong. We're shooting up elementary schools now for crying out loud. Yes it was a crazy person, but you seriously don't think external cultural influences..you know, influence people?

The problem with the Marilyn Manson connection is that it's placing the blame on a specific figure. No one person is the problem, our collective obsession with violence is.

Ultimately the gunman is responsible but that and a nickel will net you a nickel and a bunch of dead kids. Until Americans accept that we've culturally gone way off the rails, this crap will keep happening.

I've lived and travelled extensively outside of this country. These incidents are extremely rare in Europe (where I have the most experience). Yes they do happen (see Norway), but one in the last decade is a pretty good track record compared to the madness we have.

Are we as Americans just more mentally unstable? Are we worse people? Or is there a cultural difference that keeps their crazy people from killing as many people as possible on a regular basis? Is it access to guns (which in Europe is pretty much non-existent)?

My wife works in a setting well known for it's issues with these types of shooting, and there isn't a day that goes by I don't worry about one of the idiots she deals with coming in and pointing that gun at her.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #29
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by pootz22 View Post
Absolutely sickening! Most kids are in one kindergarden class. Someone in school office turned onP/A system as principle was arguing with shooter. Saved lives. I live in rocky hill area 70 miles northeast.

Having a newborn, 4 & 7 yr olds, its absolutely horrifing
With the reports that the parent was 20 years old, sense of dread it was his child's classroom adding to the horror
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #30
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
They could do a lot of things to ensure that crazy people don't get guns. Unfortunately, they don't. I'd venture to say that there is a good portion of people who own a firearm that aren't trained well enough or have a good reason to have them other than trying to be "tough." This story is absolutely tragic. All incidents like this are, but these are little kids. Innocent to the world. Sad. Prayers for all.
Sadly this is a reflection on the society we live in today. Citizens have been armed since the since the constitution was put on paper and made the law of the land. This type of violence could have happened 60 years ago but didn't because our moral fiber wasn't the same as today. Violent movies, video games and the lack of any kid of moral conscience plays a major factor in the world as we know it today.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #31
ElwayMD
It Stinks!

Meet the New Boss...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Sammy Winder

Quote:
Our culture does embrace violence. It is a FACT.
Most of us also understand that while we embrace violence, we don't try to recreate the violence we see on television, movies, video games, etc. It takes a disturbed individual to take a gun and shoot up an Elementary School.
ElwayMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #32
sinuous sausage

Quote:
Our culture does embrace violence. It is a FACT.
against children?!? I mean, I just don't see the connection of 'violent videogames = school shootings.' if there is, it's a superficial one and doesn't strike at the root of the problem, and without doing that the problem will just manifest itself in different, maybe even more depraved, ways (tho it is tough to imagine something more depraved than shooting up an elementary school). human history is one long, tragic, violent exercise: why?
Old 12-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #33
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
It happens so often anymore it seems we are getting numb. But when it's kids it really strikes your heart. And this close to Christmas makes it even sadder. Just so depressing.
Im not getting numb. In fact, I dont think I have ever been this furious over a school shooting before.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #34
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

my wife found out about the shooting on here way to pick up our 7 year old. I guess most of the victims are 1st graders. It definitely makes you think about home schooling.

my thoughts and prayers go out to all those families.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #35
sinuous sausage

Quote:
This is the second mass shooting THIS FREAKING WEEK. There have been three of these in the last six months.

Something is clearly and unbelievably wrong. We're shooting up elementary schools now for crying out loud. Yes it was a crazy person, but you seriously don't think external cultural influences..you know, influence people?

The problem with the Marilyn Manson connection is that it's placing the blame on a specific figure. No one person is the problem, our collective obsession with violence is.

Ultimately the gunman is responsible but that and a nickel will net you a nickel and a bunch of dead kids. Until Americans accept that we've culturally gone way off the rails, this crap will keep happening.

I've lived and travelled extensively outside of this country. These incidents are extremely rare in Europe (where I have the most experience). Yes they do happen (see Norway), but one in the last decade is a pretty good track record compared to the madness we have.

Are we as Americans just more mentally unstable? Are we worse people? Or is there a cultural difference that keeps their crazy people from killing as many people as possible on a regular basis? Is it access to guns (which in Europe is pretty much non-existent)?

My wife works in a setting well known for it's issues with these types of shooting, and there isn't a day that goes by I don't worry about one of the idiots she deals with coming in and pointing that gun at her.
I agree we've culturally gone way off the rails, but banning guns won't address that. it's like treating cancer with a band-aid. external events undoubtably influence people, but I find it foolhardy to think human beings have much control over those. we can't whitewash society. we can't whitewash existence. angst, trials, mishaps, and catastrophes are part of life, and the question should focus more on the proper means to grapple with that. society isn't about grappling with hard questions nowadays, tho: it's about instant-gratification and fun-fixes and feeling good in the moment. give that enough time, and **** like this happens.

I know Switzerland and Austria mandate gun ownership for their of-age males. something to do with getting blitzkrieged back in the 30's.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #36
ElwayMD
It Stinks!

Meet the New Boss...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Sammy Winder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
my wife found out about the shooting on here way to pick up our 7 year old. I guess most of the victims are 1st graders. It definitely makes you think about home schooling.

my thoughts and prayers go out to all those families.
This is why schools are becoming more and more like prisons. The school I work at requires you to have a micro-chipped id card to get in the door and people who do not have id's must be buzzed in by office workers who also can see the person wanting entry on a video screen. While not fool proof, it does keep unwanted people out of the school.
ElwayMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #37
rideco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayMD View Post
This is why schools are becoming more and more like prisons. The school I work at requires you to have a micro-chipped id card to get in the door and people who do not have id's must be buzzed in by office workers who also can see the person wanting entry on a video screen. While not fool proof, it does keep unwanted people out of the school.
At this point I would not be apposed to adding a man trap with a body scanner used before anyone is let in my children's school including all students. What has this world come to.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #38
sinuous sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideco View Post
At this point I would not be apposed to adding a man trap with a body scanner used before anyone is let in my children's school including all students. What has this world come to.
when I have kids, I'm homeschooling the living **** out of them
Old 12-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #39
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:

Absolutely.

As long as the 'disturbed' have easy access to guns, these horrific incidents will continue. If the mentally unstable in Europe had guns, we might be reading about similar incidents.

To put it in perspective, in 1979, when I arrived here, N Ireland's terrorist campaigns were in full swing and it was basically a war zone. Houston, which had a similar population size, had four times the murder rate.

That same year in the UK, which had a population of 52 million, there were six handgun murders. To this day, the beat cop still doesn't need to carry guns.

So yes, I believe the easy access to guns does explain many of these incidents. And why do we need to allow automatic weapons? That is unconscionable.

Last edited by DenverBrit; 12-14-2012 at 12:29 PM..
DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #40
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Unbelievable. What will the crazy apes do next?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #41
El Minion
Ring of Famer

Ryan Lanza ID’d As Newtown School Shooting Gunman

The Newtown school shooting suspect has been identified as Ryan Lanza, and a “likely Facebook page” for the alleged gunman has been located.

Ryan Lanza lists his hometown as Newtown, but indicates he most recently resided in Hoboken. CNN and Slate have identified Lanza as the probable gunman, and the man’s Facebook page simply displays a photo with a friend’s comment:

“Look like you’re about to buy an Ale, but then paint a picture of it… very mixed… all good, though. Kinda like if Solid Snake was wearing a Neo trenchcoat. This can only turn out awesome.”
Earlier reports that the gunman was a father of a Sandy Hook Elementary student appear to have been erroneous, but Lanza’s connection to the school has not yet been revealed.
Little is known about how Lanza was identified as the shooter or on what information news stations are basing reports on, but initial reports also indicate that a parent of the alleged gunman was found dead at another location.

Below is the Facebook picture for alleged gunman Ryan Lanza:
El Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #42
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
They are saying it's a parent. A 20 year old
24-year old Ryan Lanza...

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2012/12/14...ld-ryan-lanza/
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #43
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Im not getting numb. In fact, I dont think I have ever been this furious over a school shooting before.
That's what I said, when it's kids it strikes our hearts.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #44
sinuous sausage

what a p***Y
Old 12-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #45
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Absolutely.

As long as the 'disturbed' have easy access to guns, these horrific incidents will continue. If the mentally unstable in Europe had guns, we might be reading about similar incidents.

To put it in perspective, in 1979, when I arrived here, N Ireland's terrorist campaigns were in full swing and it was basically a war zone. Houston, which had a similar population size, had four times the murder rate.

That same year in the UK, which had a population of 52 million, there were six handgun murders. To this day, the beat cop still doesn't need to carry guns.

So yes, I believe the easy access to guns does explain many of these incidents. And why do we need to allow automatic weapons? That is unconscionable.
Without guns then it just as easliy could be a gallon of gas and match, banning guns, knives or forks will not stop someone from doing bad things..

BTW getting a guns is not like walking in the grocery store and picking one up.. there are checks and balances involved already.. Obviously not enough..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #46
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Things like this happening make me wish hell actually did exist. Shooting up elementary kids? Not that any mass shooting is anything but horrible, but that's beyond the pale.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #47
DAN_BRONCO_FAN
Ring of Famer

weed will win

Adopt-a-Bronco:
miles

Quote:
It's the end-result of a culture that embraces violence as a positive quality. We fight wars and wave flags. Our biggest movies are *about* violence. Our video games are by and large *about* violence. When I think about the world I was raised in, it's stunning.

So you put someone who is mentally on edge in that culture and then give them easy access to guns. What happens next is no surprise.
this never happen when i went to school 1972-86.
there was a shooting at mcdonalds way back then some postal shootings.but nothing never like this, and dont go blaming video games i play shooters and other video games since 85 i never went postal, VIDEO GAMES ARE NOT TO BLAME nor are TV SHOWS .
the shooter or shooters are evil son of a b****es and need to be put to death so very slowly.
DAN_BRONCO_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #48
Kaylore
I am secretly Chrissy

AND Bob

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
This. I haven't been this upset about a tragedy since maybe 911. Little children, and entire classroom, murdered. I'm having trouble just being at work...
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #49
DAN_BRONCO_FAN
Ring of Famer

weed will win

Adopt-a-Bronco:
miles

he killed his own mother too wow that guy was so full of hate
DAN_BRONCO_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #50
AK Broncomaniac
100% Raider Hater

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
I really try to view humanity in a positive light, but days like today make it hard.
Collective humanity is not a positive force... We live in our bubble and we hope that we are protected from horrific events like the one today, but the truth is that evil is all around us. When the lives of pure innocents are so brutally taken, it seems even more heinous. May God send His peace and comfort to all those affected.
AK Broncomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote