The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 06:17 AM   #101
txtebow
WARRIOR

Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem

What Parker is stating is the strongly held notion by many black urban poor in the mid Atlantic and northeastern USA: Speaking proper English, growing up in a 2 parent household, valuing education and carrying yourself in a form that is respectful of others is deemed being an uncle tom, an OREO or as Mr Parker put it "a cornball brother" IE TOO WHITE.----the social pressures in the black community(children out of wedlock, misbehaving in school to the point where education is secondary to safety etc) are the primary reason that the cycle of poverty continues...Mr Parker's opinion on ESPN gives a national audience a peak behind the curtain that those of us who grew up among poor blacks already know from personal experience....it ain't the white power structure leading to poverty; it's the diminishment of anything associated as being too white (like education, 2 parent families, taking care of your kids) that produces anti social and unsuccessful personal outcomes...
txtebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:29 AM   #102
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

You think ESPN will fire this guy with the same expediancy and righteous indignation as they did with Rush Limbaugh?
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #103
txtebow
WARRIOR

Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
You think ESPN will fire this guy with the same expediancy and righteous indignation as they did with Rush Limbaugh?
Silly in America, it's only racism if it comes from the lips of a person of European decent.....
txtebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:32 AM   #104
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

The Chiefs Suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
When he made the insination that the media wants a black QB to succeed and so wasn't being critical of his poor play? Actually I do. This was pretty egregious. Rush hung around for several days, and it seems maybe even a week, before they tanked him. I think this guy is gone in the next forty-eight hours.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:38 AM   #105
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtebow View Post
Silly in America, it's only racism if it comes from the lips of a person of European decent.....
European? Poor choice of words.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:00 AM   #106
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtebow View Post
What Parker is stating is the strongly held notion by many black urban poor in the mid Atlantic and northeastern USA: Speaking proper English, growing up in a 2 parent household, valuing education and carrying yourself in a form that is respectful of others is deemed being an uncle tom, an OREO or as Mr Parker put it "a cornball brother" IE TOO WHITE.----the social pressures in the black community(children out of wedlock, misbehaving in school to the point where education is secondary to safety etc) are the primary reason that the cycle of poverty continues...Mr Parker's opinion on ESPN gives a national audience a peak behind the curtain that those of us who grew up among poor blacks already know from personal experience....it ain't the white power structure leading to poverty; it's the diminishment of anything associated as being too white (like education, 2 parent families, taking care of your kids) that produces anti social and unsuccessful personal outcomes...
well said. Are you sure that's not your wife
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #107
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

What is more racist: a white guy saying the media wants a black quaterback to succeed, or a black guy calling another black guy a "cornball brother" because he doesn't act black?
Old 12-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #108
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

The Chiefs Suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
What is more racist: a white guy saying the media wants a black quaterback to succeed, or a black guy calling another black guy a "cornball brother" because he doesn't act black?
And then saying he likes his cornrows and that helps, but he still has a white wife, so he's unconvinced.

Rob clearly has some very strict criteria for determining if you are black enough...
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #109
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
And then saying he likes his cornrows and that helps, but he still has a white wife, so he's unconvinced.

Rob clearly has some very strict criteria for determining if you are black enough...
He sounds like he might be a person who annoys you.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #110
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6matty View Post
Rg3 a white mantrapped in a black body. The perfect storm if youre going to play qb in the nfl no? Black man athleticism but a white mans brain !

Seriously tho. If he had the mind of a black man he might be the next vick. I dont see griffin hosted and dog fighting rings

All black men think alike. Some hide it better then others
This guy got banned... right?
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:28 AM   #111
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

I'd say that this is a very interesting topic.

I wouldn't question RG3's "blackness" because I don't know much about him other than he's a great football player, and he is a really smart guy. I really don't have an issue with him dating a white woman, and that shouldn't be used to question his "blackness."

I am all for RG3 saying that he doesn't want to be compared to other black quarterbacks, that he wants to be the best quarterback period. The goal isn't to be the best black anything. It's to be the best out of everybody.

Now if RG3 went the Tiger Woods route, that would rub me the wrong way, because it seems like Woods doesn't want any part of being black. Yes he's mixed, but a whole lot of black people are mixed. I have no problem with him promoting the other races that he is, but I just always had the feeling that he wanted nothing to do with "blackness". I heard a story that when he was younger somebody dropped an N bomb on him and he wanted no part of that. So I have never been a fan of him. The guy is about my skin color, but it seems like he doesn't want anything to do with the positives of the culture that I grew up in. So screw that guy. At this point I wouldn't lump RG3 in with Woods.

On the topic of RG3 being considered an "oreo" or "whitewashed" because he speaks correctly and is extremely smart (he had a really high college GPA if I'm remembering right), that bothers me right there. I think that the black race is usually defined by the lower end of the race. That is partly our fault, because education is not valued enough, and there are a lot of uneducated black folks who think there is something wrong with the educated black folks. Like we're trying to be white or something.

The thing that bothers me is that I get the feeling that people think that a black person like myself, who is educated, has a full time job, is raising my son, and speaks and acts correctly, is rare. Like there aren't a lot of black folks like me. There are a whole lot of black kids growing up like the Cosby Show. We're not all growing up like Good Times. Watching the Fab 5 documentary annoyed me when Jalen Rose made negative comments about Grant Hill, just because Hill had a better upbringing.

I'm a member of a few black organizations, and one that is only for people who went to college. Just about all of my friends are from this organization or one just like it, and all of us are more like RG3 than Lil Wayne. But when people think of black men, they'll think of a Lil Wayne type. Or a thug. That does annoy me. Like the Chris Rock Joke, when somebody said Colin Powell speaks so well. Well WTF did you think he was going to speak jive? lol

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox after this one final story. I was at an event with about a few hundred guys from the organization that I'm a member of (a good 95% of these guys are black). One guy started to feel ill, so somebody yells out "is there a doctor here?" About 30 hands went up. We all got a good chuckle out of that. If the guy needed a lawyer, another 30 hands would have gone up.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #112
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

just as an FYI, Rob Parker has been suspended indefinitely
Old 12-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #113
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
I wouldn't question RG3's "blackness" because I don't know much about him
Do you know Tiger? Why cast judgment on him if you don't know anything more than what you've seen in the media? The whole idea of challenging someone's 'blackness' is foolish, arrogant, and a textbook example of racism. The fact that a black person is casting those aspersions is not only those things, but as ironic as the day is long.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #114
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
I'd say that this is a very interesting topic.

I wouldn't question RG3's "blackness" because I don't know much about him other than he's a great football player, and he is a really smart guy. I really don't have an issue with him dating a white woman, and that shouldn't be used to question his "blackness."

I am all for RG3 saying that he doesn't want to be compared to other black quarterbacks, that he wants to be the best quarterback period. The goal isn't to be the best black anything. It's to be the best out of everybody.

Now if RG3 went the Tiger Woods route, that would rub me the wrong way, because it seems like Woods doesn't want any part of being black. Yes he's mixed, but a whole lot of black people are mixed. I have no problem with him promoting the other races that he is, but I just always had the feeling that he wanted nothing to do with "blackness". I heard a story that when he was younger somebody dropped an N bomb on him and he wanted no part of that. So I have never been a fan of him. The guy is about my skin color, but it seems like he doesn't want anything to do with the positives of the culture that I grew up in. So screw that guy. At this point I wouldn't lump RG3 in with Woods.

On the topic of RG3 being considered an "oreo" or "whitewashed" because he speaks correctly and is extremely smart (he had a really high college GPA if I'm remembering right), that bothers me right there. I think that the black race is usually defined by the lower end of the race. That is partly our fault, because education is not valued enough, and there are a lot of uneducated black folks who think there is something wrong with the educated black folks. Like we're trying to be white or something.

The thing that bothers me is that I get the feeling that people think that a black person like myself, who is educated, has a full time job, is raising my son, and speaks and acts correctly, is rare. Like there aren't a lot of black folks like me. There are a whole lot of black kids growing up like the Cosby Show. We're not all growing up like Good Times. Watching the Fab 5 documentary annoyed me when Jalen Rose made negative comments about Grant Hill, just because Hill had a better upbringing.

I'm a member of a few black organizations, and one that is only for people who went to college. Just about all of my friends are from this organization or one just like it, and all of us are more like RG3 than Lil Wayne. But when people think of black men, they'll think of a Lil Wayne type. Or a thug. That does annoy me. Like the Chris Rock Joke, when somebody said Colin Powell speaks so well. Well WTF did you think he was going to speak jive? lol

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox after this one final story. I was at an event with about a few hundred guys from the organization that I'm a member of (a good 95% of these guys are black). One guy started to feel ill, so somebody yells out "is there a doctor here?" About 30 hands went up. We all got a good chuckle out of that. If the guy needed a lawyer, another 30 hands would have gone up.
You don't have to "choose" to be racially cognitive. There is NOTHING wrong with identifying youself as something other then a color or race. You can't get on TW because he, as you say, doesn't do anything "black". What do black people do that TW should? Tell us. Remember, this is a guy growing up and playing GOLF, usually among 99% white players, or asian. Back when TW grew up there wasn't many black people playing golf, not that there is now either but more so when he was young. We are who we socialize and work with. You are influenced by those you are around mostly, that's not rocket science. Just because a black guy has a white GF or wife, has white friends, doesn't mean he isn't "black". What is "black". Obviously TW still has the same skin color. What does TW need to do in your eyes that would make him more "black". Tell us.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #115
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
Do you know Tiger? Why cast judgment on him if you don't know anything more than what you've seen in the media? The whole idea of challenging someone's 'blackness' is foolish, arrogant, and a textbook example of racism. The fact that a black person is casting those aspersions is not only those things, but as ironic as the day is long.
Obviously I don't know Tiger Woods personally. We don't know any of these celebrities personally, but we pass judgment on them all the time for various things.

When there is a group that is not thought highly of, and then a person from that group does something great which makes that group proud, and then that person shuns that group, that group is going to have issues with that person. Why would anybody think that group wouldn't have an issue with that? That's just human nature.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #116
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
You don't have to "choose" to be racially cognitive. There is NOTHING wrong with identifying youself as something other then a color or race. You can't get on TW because he, as you say, doesn't do anything "black". What do black people do that TW should? Tell us. Remember, this is a guy growing up and playing GOLF, usually among 99% white players, or asian. Back when TW grew up there wasn't many black people playing golf, not that there is now either but more so when he was young. We are who we socialize and work with. You are influenced by those you are around mostly, that's not rocket science. Just because a black guy has a white GF or wife, has white friends, doesn't mean he isn't "black". What is "black". Obviously TW still has the same skin color. What does TW need to do in your eyes that would make him more "black". Tell us.
I'm not saying that Tiger needs to act "black." I don't even think that there is such a thing. I have more in common with an educated white person than a black person who fits the description of what a lot of people think a black person is, which is hood.

If Tiger simply showed acknowledgement that he is a part of the African American race, and be proud of it, then he'd be good in my book. That is in no way to say that he should ignore the other ethnic group(s) that he is a part of.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #117
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Obviously I don't know Tiger Woods personally. We don't know any of these celebrities personally, but we pass judgment on them all the time for various things.

When there is a group that is not thought highly of, and then a person from that group does something great which makes that group proud, and then that person shuns that group, that group is going to have issues with that person. Why would anybody think that group wouldn't have an issue with that? That's just human nature.
Tiger is mixed.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #118
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Tiger is mixed.
Based on my statements, it is more than obvious that I am aware of that.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #119
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
You don't have to "choose" to be racially cognitive. There is NOTHING wrong with identifying youself as something other then a color or race. You can't get on TW because he, as you say, doesn't do anything "black". What do black people do that TW should? Tell us. Remember, this is a guy growing up and playing GOLF, usually among 99% white players, or asian. Back when TW grew up there wasn't many black people playing golf, not that there is now either but more so when he was young. We are who we socialize and work with. You are influenced by those you are around mostly, that's not rocket science.
Good point.

Quote:
Based on my statements, it is more than obvious that I am aware of that.
Aware? Yes. Understand? No.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #120
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Robert Griffin III

Obviously, by being the 3rd Robert Griffin, shows he has a line of fathers that care.

Verdict?

NOT BLACK!

"Get this jiggaboo out of my site!" Latrell Spencer, White Chicks

Last edited by broncocalijohn; 12-14-2012 at 01:29 PM..
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #121
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Good point.

Aware? Yes. Understand? No.
Actually, I do understand. Just because I don't agree with you, or in this case, you do not agree with me, does not mean that I do not understand.

I find it interesting that people on one side of an argument think that the people on the other side don't get it. No, they just don't agree with you. It's as simple as that.

Last edited by Jason in LA; 12-14-2012 at 12:26 PM..
Old 12-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #122
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

Apperently ESPN is just going to suspend him

What a joke

Guess he will have some free time to hang out with the real "brothas" for a while though
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #123
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
Apperently ESPN is just going to suspend him

What a joke

Guess he will have some free time to hang out with the real "brothas" for a while though
I wouldn't be sure about that. Suspended indefinitely generally means they start to get the lawyers involved and the walking papers come in.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #124
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinBronco View Post
I wouldn't be sure about that. Suspended indefinitely generally means they start to get the lawyers involved and the walking papers come in.
Oh I guess I missed the "indefinite" part
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #125
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Robert Griffin III

Obviously, by being the 3rd Robert Griffin, shows he has a line of fathers.
FIFY
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote