The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #101
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Næstved, DK
Posts: 11,164

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
what an awesome draft
2011 was really strong at some positions.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #102
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Everything

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,753

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinBronco View Post
Because I have seen what each guy has done for his respective franchise. JMO; I go by the eye test and impact from what I see
I'm not saying anyone has to agree or anything
Yeah ok. The "eye" test shows the Broncos were better than the Redskins and Bailey is going to the HOF and Portis will be lucky to get Redskins Ring of Fame consideration.

There were a lot of problems with our defense in the playoffs in the 2000's, Bailey wasn't one of them. And Harrison never did anything when we played the Colts with Bailey.

I have found two people on this board who think we lost the Portis/Bailey trade and one of them is a Redskin fan. Shocking.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #103
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,468

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Yeah ok. The "eye" test shows the Broncos were better than the Redskins and Bailey is going to the HOF and Portis will be lucky to get Redskins Ring of Fame consideration.

There were a lot of problems with our defense in the playoffs in the 2000's, Bailey wasn't one of them. And Harrison never did anything when we played the Colts with Bailey.

I have found two people on this board who think we lost the Portis/Bailey trade and one of them is a Redskin fan. Shocking.
Clinton doesn't stand a chance.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #104
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Yeah ok. The "eye" test shows the Broncos were better than the Redskins and Bailey is going to the HOF and Portis will be lucky to get Redskins Ring of Fame consideration.

There were a lot of problems with our defense in the playoffs in the 2000's, Bailey wasn't one of them. And Harrison never did anything when we played the Colts with Bailey.

I have found two people on this board who think we lost the Portis/Bailey trade and one of them is a Redskin fan. Shocking.
When did I say the Broncos lost the trade? I just said I disagree that this was a freaking fleecing.

Portis had a hell of a run in DC and was critical to the 2 playoff years under Gibbs.

I saw it as a pretty even trade and I saw a lot of articles saying it was a good trade for both teams when it was debated during the 2005-2008 timeframe.

edit: also if you want to mock my eye test, I have one question only: While champ bailey was with the broncos and portis with the skins, what was the playoff wins count?

I see 1 for champ and 1 for portis

and I am not even trying to be combative, just it seems to always lead to people getting bent out of shape on this board if someone dares be critical of the broncos at all; and this is coming from me a person who really is more critical on the skins and more bullish on what the broncos do organizationally.

Last edited by RedskinBronco; 12-13-2012 at 02:08 PM..
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #105
CEH
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinBronco View Post
When did I say the Broncos lost the trade? I just said I disagree that this was a freaking fleecing.

Portis had a hell of a run in DC and was critical to the 2 playoff years under Gibbs.

I saw it as a pretty even trade and I saw a lot of articles saying it was a good trade for both teams when it was debated during the 2005-2008 timeframe.

edit: also if you want to mock my eye test, I have one question only: While champ bailey was with the broncos and portis with the skins, what was the playoff wins count?

I see 1 for champ and 1 for portis

and I am not even trying to be combative, just it seems to always lead to people getting bent out of shape on this board if someone dares be critical of the broncos at all; and this is coming from me a person who really is more critical on the skins and more bullish on what the broncos do organizationally.
Quick

Name the top 10 defensive players of the last 8 years

Name the top 10 (non QB) offensive players of the last 8 years

Who's name would appear on the list more often. I bet Champ appears on 90% of the lists. Portis would be lucky to appear 10%



Who had a more dramatic effect on the outcome of that one playoff win. Denver stopped NE's record 10 game win playoff win streak and Bailey showed up like the HOF player he is. What did Portis do in his playoff win?

Plus Denver got a 2nd round pick. Yes Denver got the better end of the trade.
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #106
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,022
Default

I personally don't agree, but it is what it is. Moving on.
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #107
DenverBound
Thanks for the memories
 
DenverBound's Avatar
 
This one's for Pat!

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Quick

Name the top 10 defensive players of the last 8 years

Name the top 10 (non QB) offensive players of the last 8 years

Who's name would appear on the list more often. I bet Champ appears on 90% of the lists. Portis would be lucky to appear 10%



Who had a more dramatic effect on the outcome of that one playoff win. Denver stopped NE's record 10 game win playoff win streak and Bailey showed up like the HOF player he is. What did Portis do in his playoff win?

Plus Denver got a 2nd round pick. Yes Denver got the better end of the trade.
Owned. Give it up Foreskin. You were out played.
DenverBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #108
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBound View Post
Owned. Give it up Foreskin. You were out played.
Im real cool with names I come up with! I'm so awesome.

go back into mom's basement. thanks!

Last edited by RedskinBronco; 12-13-2012 at 04:29 PM..
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #109
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,022
Default

Now to get this back to a normal, mature conversation.

Bottom line: both players wanted out. I just find it funny how some of you perceived Portis as a God when he was in Denver but when he got traded, he became absolute trash, just because he wanted out.

Both players did not want to be with their original teams. I'm not going to argue who did what, as I said, IMO I believe it was a good trade for both teams but to each his own.
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #110
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 7,896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinBronco View Post
Now to get this back to a normal, mature conversation.

Bottom line: both players wanted out. I just find it funny how some of you perceived Portis as a God when he was in Denver but when he got traded, he became absolute trash, just because he wanted out.

Both players did not want to be with their original teams. I'm not going to argue who did what, as I said, IMO I believe it was a good trade for both teams but to each his own.
Were you here when he was traded? He was not that highly praised, he was similarly as polarizing as many of the high profile players that rolled through Denver post Superbowls.

I know I personally didn't love him and thought he was an unnecessary draft pick with Gary and MA on the team.
2KBack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #111
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Were you here when he was traded? He was not that highly praised, he was similarly as polarizing as many of the high profile players that rolled through Denver post Superbowls.

I know I personally didn't love him and thought he was an unnecessary draft pick with Gary and MA on the team.
As in OM? I came 2005, but I remember reading all the arguments.

I know not everyone likes Clinton, but from what I know is he was very well liked and everyone loved his WWE celebration after absolutely running all over KC.

Of course, human nature was to trash him after he became disgruntled and labeled Denver as boring or white, I forget the exact words but it was along those lines.

Bottom line is I really don't have a dog in this fight. I love both players. Ironically, I have a Champ skins jersey and I have a Portis Denver jersey. I was merely stating my own personal opinion on the trade. I wasn't trying to convince anyone of anything but evidently some people got their panties in a bunch because they were butthurt over the whole separation with clinton. I imagine it's the same as it is with skins fans here who can't stand Champ because he wanted out.

Just my 2 cents. Yet, it seems people want to fight about it and start the name calling.

/rant
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #112
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Everything

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,753

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinBronco View Post
When did I say the Broncos lost the trade? I just said I disagree that this was a freaking fleecing.

Portis had a hell of a run in DC and was critical to the 2 playoff years under Gibbs.

I saw it as a pretty even trade and I saw a lot of articles saying it was a good trade for both teams when it was debated during the 2005-2008 timeframe.

edit: also if you want to mock my eye test, I have one question only: While champ bailey was with the broncos and portis with the skins, what was the playoff wins count?

I see 1 for champ and 1 for portis

and I am not even trying to be combative, just it seems to always lead to people getting bent out of shape on this board if someone dares be critical of the broncos at all; and this is coming from me a person who really is more critical on the skins and more bullish on what the broncos do organizationally.
Because Portis is a running back and Champ is a corner.

And you can try and pretend the trade was "even" because "they won the same amount of playoff games" but what sort of stupid criterion is that? The rest of the team, their coaches and especially the QB they happen to play with has more to do with their playoff success than their personal ability.

That's like saying Trent Dilfer is a better QB than Dan Marino because he won a Super Bowl and Marino didn't.

At the time it did seem like a fair trade were it not for the second round pick. Then Gibbs tried to turn Portis into a power back.

Portis put up some decent numbers and was a second string player in 1 pro bowl as the last back up.

Champ Bailey is an 11 time pro bowl player and three time all pro and going into the hall of fame.

It's not even close. The Redskins traded a HOF corner and a second round pick for speed back in the wrong system.

The Redskins were fleeced. Does that mean Portis didn't help the team or play well for them? No. But if I was to do this trade again for a running back, I would need a back like Adrian Peterson to warrant the trade as "even." And no one here was EVER saying it was a fair trade because of the second round pick. Since that time it has played out to be a horrid trade for the Redskins.

Last edited by Kaylore; 12-14-2012 at 06:38 AM..
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:11 AM   #113
jmz313
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinBronco View Post
Now to get this back to a normal, mature conversation.

Bottom line: both players wanted out. I just find it funny how some of you perceived Portis as a God when he was in Denver but when he got traded, he became absolute trash, just because he wanted out.
.
Portis didn't want out, he wanted to be Paid big money. He averaged 5.5 yds a Carry here. not sure what his average was in DC but i'm sure it was under 5 every year and maybe even in the 3's once or twice. I'm pretty sure also had (and i'm not stat checking here) more TDs in his 2 years on the broncos than any year with DC.

like you, i live in the DC area, all the Skins fans want to feel better about losing out on that deal. Portis brought less to DC than Champ did to Denver. Champ also brought a second round pick with him (there in lies the Fleecing portion). Champ is probably still going to make the pro bowl this year and Clinton Portis is worn out and done.
jmz313 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #114
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Everything

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,753

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Yeah I want to go on record and say I never said Portis sucked. I wish we could have kept him somehow because this system was perfect for him.

I am thrilled we got Bailey - he is obviously the player that can play in any system. I never hated Portis or thought he sucked, though. I didn't wish him ill in Washington. I don't think he was all-world, but I think in the right system he could have been one of the better backs of the decade. Instead Gibbs made him gain weight and ran his power/trap scheme form the 80's and completely destroyed what made him good by grinding him into the dust.

I don't know if he would have been a HOF player in a better system, but if he went to a team like the Saints or Philly, he could have been rich man's Brian Westbrook. That would have been awesome.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #115
tesnyde
Paradigm Coordinator
 
tesnyde's Avatar
 
Keepit nuttier than a squirrel turd

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 912
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Seattle just stomped your asses 58 to zip. Wouldn't it be advisable to keep a low profile for a while?
Low profile kicks when you give up an avg of. 1 pt a minute. He's good.
tesnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:56 AM   #116
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz313 View Post
Champ is probably still going to make the pro bowl this year and Clinton Portis is worn out and done.
But isn't that the nature of the beast for the RB position? Guys who play that position don't last long generally.

As for your point about skins fans, all the ones I know were happy with Portis when he was in his prime and producing. When they turned on him was towards the end when he was completely worn out and done like you said and his prima donna ways became an issue.

But when he was in his prime under Gibbs, he was a critical piece to the success of this team. He did everything the coaches asked, including gaining all that weight.

And honestly, he was the best pass blocking RB I have ever seen. I mean the guy just lit up whoever came blitzing the QB
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #117
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Wtf? DL is way the **** off. No Aldon or Wilkerson on your team even

DEs: Aldon Smith, Houston
DTs: Watt, Wilkerson

And Richard Sherman has to be Opp Peterson.
I dont give a **** how good Aldon Smith is at DE, my team will have no Missouri trash on it.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #118
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,110

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Clinton Portis would be a HOF player had he stayed with the Broncos. Glad we got Champ tho. Clinton's performance against Kansas City busting out the WWF Belt was priceless. One of my favorite memories.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #119
DENVERDUI55
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Even though it is off topic they Bailey Portis trade was a fleecing. Bailey is still producing at a high level and portis who knows what he is doing. Shanny really could of made trade lopsided if he drafted Steven Jackson instead of DJ. Just Bailey for Portis was a big win for Denver then think if he took best RB in the draft which he could of when he fell to Denver.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #120
DENVERDUI55
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

How did this matchup turnout?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #121
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,468

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
How did this matchup turnout?
"Patrick Peterson wins battle with Calvin Johnson"

http://arizonasports.com/40/1595857/...Calvin-Johnson

Quote:
Johnson had nothing but praise for Peterson following the contest.

"Good corner," Johnson said. "Good ball skills, overall a good player, man. It's a pleasure to play good players in this league -- because it's some great competition and he's one of the good ones."
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #122
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,117

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Johnson had nothing but praise for Peterson following the contest.

"Good corner," Johnson said. "Good ball skills, overall a good player, man. It's a pleasure to play good players in this league -- because it's some great competition and he's one of the good ones."


There are a lot of "good ones"
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #123
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,110

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Are we seriously going to play semantics to try and bust Rev's balls?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #124
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Everything

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,753

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
"Patrick Peterson wins battle with Calvin Johnson"

http://arizonasports.com/40/1595857/...Calvin-Johnson
10 receptions for 121 yards later....
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #125
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,117

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Are we seriously going to play semantics to try and bust Rev's balls?
Pointing out Johnson chose the word "good" (twice) and not great is not semantics it is a valid point.

Rev using the quote to support his argument Peterson is a top corner is not supported in the quote. You can be your ass Rev would jump on that if it were someone else using that quote to support the greatness of Patrick Peterson
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:54 AM.


Denver Broncos