The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM
Default rank your top 36 broncos between 1986 and 2012

my wife has some sort of project for my office, not sure what is going on here. She asked me to send her a list of my top 36 or so favorite Broncos. I've been a fan since 1986, so no sense going back further than that - I have no meaningful recollection of Tom Jackson or Randy Gradishar, for example. This is to be a list of my favorite Broncos over the course of my fandom.

Here is my list, but I'm open to hear arguments - who is too high/too low. This is after a couple of scotches, so my rankings may change tomorrow.
  1. John Elway: no comment needed.
  2. Steve Atwater: got his autograph his rookie year, have always been a big fan. Should have been SBXXXII MVP.
  3. Terrell Davis: 2k yards, SB MVP.
  4. Rod Smith: multi-era great. SB hero, and a stud from the post-sb teams.
  5. Shannon Sharpe: HoFer. Would have been higer had he not gone to Baltimore.
  6. Ed McCaffrey: loved watching Eddie. He always took the big hits and held onto the ball.
  7. Von Miller: curent favorite Bronco.
  8. Tom Nalen: will be a HoFer soon. Loved the Kangaroo court bit.
  9. Champ Bailey: DO. NOT. THROW. AT. CHAMP.
  10. Al Wilson: Al was a monster in the middle for a long time. Dude made plays.
  11. Karl Mecklenburg: Big Meck Attack!
  12. Tim Tebow: I will never forget the magic of 2011.
  13. Dennis Smith: Hard hitting safety.
  14. Jake Plummer: naked bootleg is my favorite play in football.
  15. Elvis Dumervil: DOOM!!!
  16. John Mobley: his deflection win XXXII.
  17. Demaryius Thomas: Hail Demaryius!
  18. Gary Zimmerman: HoFer, but was a rental. Zimm was only a Bronco for a few years.
  19. Mark Jackson: TD in 1987 AFCCG to cap the Drive
  20. Mike Anderson: The man was a effin soldier.
  21. Bill Romanowski: loved his intensity, hated he was a raider.
  22. Vance Johnson: cornerstone of the !Three Amigos!
  23. Alfred Williams: loved what he brought to the DL for the SB runs, I'm also a fan of 104.3.
  24. Peyton Manning: He probably will be higher when it's all said and done, but right now he is a rental. In my mind, Manning is a Colt first and probably always will be.
  25. DJ Williams: He's gotta go somewhere.
  26. Keith Bishop: I remember getting his autograph as a kid.
  27. Jason Elam: NFL record for FG length.
  28. Howard Griffith: key blocker for TD, scored a TD in XXXII
  29. Clinton Portis: man, he was awesome when he was in Denver. Shame that he left, but in hindsight, I'm happy with the trade.
  30. Tyrone Braxton: Chicken Man!
  31. Steve Watson: I remember getting his football card in the first pack of cards I ever bought. I was stoked to get a Bronco.
  32. Wesley Woodyard: playing well this year - very impressed.
  33. Gary Kubiak: they say the back-up QB is always the most popular player on the team. I don't disagree.
  34. John Lynch: he was a rental, but I love me some hard-hitting safeties.
  35. Sammy Winder: Mississippi Mud!
  36. Eric Decker: He's what's happening right now…needs to improve or he will get passed by Dawkins or someone like that.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

It would take some time but looking at yours i think Zimmerman has to go way up. he's literally a top 5 all time nfl LT. Some of your others obviously more dated to today so i won't give you too hard of a time for Tim Tebow etc. But watch some tape of Randy Gradishar, Karl mecklenburgh, Rick Upchurch, Floyd Little, Rich Tombstone Jackson. You did get Dennis Smith on the list though so props for that.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Remember how Elway would just sit back there and never worry about his blindside? I can't remember the stats exactly but I know that yr we won our first Superbowl Zimmerman literally shut out the whole league and dominated in the run game. Did he give up a sack that yr?
Old 12-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

21 of your 36 played offense, so maybe put some more D out there to even it out? Trevor Pryce, Rulon Jones, Simon Fletcher, Brian Dawkins?
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Wow, must have took you a while to compile this... I'm just gonna name a few that are my favs....

Elway
Champ
Meck
Von
Lynch
Nalen
TD
Doom
HOWARD GRIFFITH
Trevor Pryce
Lepsis
Mike Anderson
Atwater
Al Wilson
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:32 PM   #6
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
my wife has some sort of project for my office, not sure what is going on here. She asked me to send her a list of my top 36 or so favorite Broncos. I've been a fan since 1986, so no sense going back further than that - I have no meaningful recollection of Tom Jackson or Randy Gradishar, for example. This is to be a list of my favorite Broncos over the course of my fandom.

Here is my list, but I'm open to hear arguments - who is too high/too low. This is after a couple of scotches, so my rankings may change tomorrow.
  2. Steve Atwater: got his autograph his rookie year, have always been a big fan. Should have been SBXXXII MVP.
  6. Ed McCaffrey: loved watching Eddie. He always took the big hits and held onto the ball.
  18. Gary Zimmerman: HoFer, but was a rental. Zimm was only a Bronco for a few years.
  23. Alfred Williams: loved what he brought to the DL for the SB runs, I'm also a fan of 104.3.
  24. Peyton Manning: He probably will be higher when it's all said and done, but right now he is a rental. In my mind, Manning is a Colt first and probably always will be.
  29. Clinton Portis: man, he was awesome when he was in Denver. Shame that he left, but in hindsight, I'm happy with the trade.
  31. Steve Watson: I remember getting his football card in the first pack of cards I ever bought. I was stoked to get a Bronco.
  33. Gary Kubiak: they say the back-up QB is always the most popular player on the team. I don't disagree.
  36. Eric Decker: He's what's happening right now…needs to improve or he will get passed by Dawkins or someone like that.
Simon Fletcher?
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:05 AM   #7
Mile High Salute

Wow, 36 is a big number, but here goes. In no particular order after Elway (I love most of the guys on this list).

1. John Elway
Terrell Davis
Shannon Sharpe
Steve Atwater
Champ Bailey
Von Miller
Dennis Smith
Simon Fletcher
Rod Smith
Ed McCaffrey
Peyton Manning
Mike Anderson
Clinton Portis
Willis McGahee
Demaryius Thomas
Tim Tebow
Darrent Williams (RIP)
Jason Elam
Mark Schlereth
Gary Zimmerman
Tyrone Braxton
Elvis Dumervil
Al Wilson
Brian Dawkins
Brandon Marshall
Jake Plummer
D.J. Williams
Bill Romanowski (Dirty as hell but at least he was on our side)
Vance Johnson
Olandis Gary
Jay Cutler
Mike Shanahan
John Fox
Barrell Man
Ryan Clady
Brandon Stokley

Ok, so I expanded the list beyond players. But think a couple of coaches and a superfan should be in there too.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoLifer View Post
21 of your 36 played offense, so maybe put some more D out there to even it out? Trevor Pryce, Rulon Jones, Simon Fletcher, Brian Dawkins?
good call on all of these guys.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #9
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Salute View Post
Wow, 36 is a big number, ...
yeah, I'm not convinced this wasn't a "busy work" type of project. not sure what my wife is up to here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Salute View Post
Darrent Williams (RIP)
Mark Schlereth
Brandon Marshall
Mike Shanahan
John Fox
Barrell Man
Ryan Clady
Brandon Stokley

Ok, so I expanded the list beyond players. But think a couple of coaches and a superfan should be in there too.
good call on these guys. Can't believe I forgot DW. Stink is great too, in part for what he's done in the media, I suppose that's good justification for Tom Jackson as well.

Marshall was a beast but we've got to remember him acting like a petulant child at times and he forced his way out of town. still, he won us some games and was fun to watch.

Shanahan and Fox - definately. Shanahan is still my favorite choach in the league, but I'm leery of the nepotism. Fox - may not be the most innovative coach in the world, but I think it's great how he acts as the steady hand on the rudder. His maturity is exactly what this franchise needed after McD.

Stokley probably should be on the list too, but he's more of a rental in my mind. dude has been in the league 14 years, but only 4 as a Bronco. Still, will never forget the miracle catch in Cincy a couple of years ago.

Barrell man - I have a picture of myself with him floating around somewhere...
Old 12-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #10
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Some of these smell like moments and not really top 36 Broncos. You forgot SImon Fletcher, Dennis Smith and maybe Al Wilson. Tebow, Decker and DJ Williams have no business being considered top 36 Broncos. Sad when our own fans forget the accomplishments Fletcher did for the organization and retired right before our glorious run to the Super Bowl 32 and 33.

Last edited by broncocalijohn; 12-14-2012 at 12:20 PM..
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #11
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Stopped reading when Teblow was listed...
KipCorrington25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
Popps
It's so easy

Pretty good list. Obviously Pryce needs to be included.

Tony Jones is also worth mentioning. He was 10x more critical to our SB teams than anything DJ Williams has ever done.

The order is also in need of serious adjustment. D. Thomas over Zimmerman? Tebow over Plummer?

Reggie Rivers deserves an honorable mention for managing to stick around like he did.

Fun topic, either way.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #13
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

So I thought the OP said favorite Broncos, not necessarily the best Bronco players. Is that what it is, favorite? Or best? Because if it's the best Bronco players, I cannot see Tebow at 12 before almost all the players after him.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #14
Bacchus

Quote:

Atwater is too high. Smith, Sharpe, Davis and Meck should be above him. I would put Dennis Smith one spot ahead of Atwater. I think Vance Johnson needs to be much higher and ahead of Mark Jackson.

Woodyard and Kubiak do not deserve to be on the list. Clarence Kay and Jim Ryan could be.

No Rulon Jones is an insult though. The guy came up huge in so many games.

Champ is way too low. He should be #2 on the list after Elway and it is not even close. In fact a point can be made that Champ is better at the CB position than Elway was at the QB spot.

Alfred Williams should not be on the list either. What he was in Denver 3 years and had one really good season. And two solid seasons?

WTF... Tim Tebow.... Really..... lost all credibility... jesus christ!!!

Last edited by Bacchus; 12-14-2012 at 11:15 PM..
Old 12-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #15
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

Tony Jones is also worth mentioning. He was 10x more critical to our SB teams than anything DJ Williams has ever done.

The order is also in need of serious adjustment. D. Thomas over Zimmerman? Tebow over Plummer?

Reggie Rivers deserves an honorable mention for managing to stick around like he did.

Fun topic, either way.
Tony Jones play wise would belong but wasn't he in Denver only 2 years?? If we are going by only one year than Olandis Gary and Reuban Droughns should be on the list as well.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #16
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
me too
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:04 AM   #17
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

Fun topic, either way.
What about Mark Jackson, Vance Johnson?
Old 12-15-2012, 02:11 AM   #18
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Remember how Elway would just sit back there and never worry about his blindside? I can't remember the stats exactly but I know that yr we won our first Superbowl Zimmerman literally shut out the whole league and dominated in the run game. Did he give up a sack that yr?
With a shoulder so mangled it required two or three surgeries after he retired, maybe more. #1 for me would be Elway, but Zim isn't that far behind. For me Al Wilson should be higher in the rankings, as well as Shannon Sharpe. Mecklenberg, Atwater, Smith were one powerhouse combination. I can only imagine what might have been had Al been in the 80's mix along with a healthy Zimmerman.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #19
Fusionfrontman
Perennial Pro-bowler

I like the list (and what it probably means considering the holiday season!) but I agree with some tid bits:

1. Champ should be higher in my eyes. Hard to argue against him being #2.
2. I love that you have Rod Smith in the top 5. He's my favorite Bronco ever so I love when he gets the appreciation he deserves playing at such a high level with 3 QB's. 4 If you count Kannel and Berlein... ugh
3. Zimmerman should be higher.
4. Wish it was a general Broncos list, as Tom Jackson, Gradishar, Wright, Fletcher should all be on there, but you did a cut off, and I can respect that.
5. Tebow will always have a special place in my Broncos heart, but he's way too high in my eyes.

Nice list!
Fusionfrontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #20
Armchair Bronco

Darrien "Flash" Gordon needs to be on the list.

And as noted, Dennis "Big Hit" Smith.

I'd also have Jim "Old School" Turner, the last of the straight ahead kickers. He was pre-86 but whatever. Poor guy never gets on any lists anymore!
Old 12-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #21
Finger Roll
Ring of Famer

Quote:

34. John Lynch: he was a rental but I love me some hard-hitting safeties.
Too many average players on that list. Why The awful Sammy Winder and Tim Tebow are on the list and guys like Al Wilson, Simon fletcher, Trevor Pryce, Clady and Rulon Jones aren't is beyond me.

Last edited by Finger Roll; 12-15-2012 at 04:06 PM..
Finger Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #22
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

John Elway's top 5:

Tyrell David
Red Smyth
Gary Zimmerstein
Harry Dean Perry
Peyton Neckguy
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #23
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
It would take some time but looking at yours i think Zimmerman has to go way up. he's literally a top 5 all time nfl LT. Some of your others obviously more dated to today so i won't give you too hard of a time for Tim Tebow etc. But watch some tape of Randy Gradishar, Karl mecklenburgh, Rick Upchurch, Floyd Little, Rich Tombstone Jackson. You did get Dennis Smith on the list though so props for that.
^This

Good top ten, but both Smith and Zimmerman are in mine. Von's QUICKLY making his way into it, I just can't put him in my top 10 ever after just 2 seasons.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #24
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

How did Simon Fletcher never make a pro bowl
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #25
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
This…and he was listed ahead of Manning...
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote