The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
schaaf

Default Secondary- 2013

I was just doing some thinking about our secondary and what it might look like next year. Right now we have the following on the current depth chart...

LCB
Champ Bailey
Tracy Porter

RCB
Chris Harris
Tony Carter
Omar Bolden

SS
Mike Adams
David Bruton

FS
Rahim Moore
Jim Leonhard

On the practice squad or IR we have..

Quinton Carter
Duke Ihenacho
Blake Gideon

As of now I am sure it is safe to say that Tracy Porter will not be back with the team next year. I don't know what actually happened but I tend to believe that there was more to the "seizures" than the general public knows about. I am torn on this because he did play well at times but he also gave up some huge plays that since his departure have seemed to have stopped.

I also don't know if Leonhard will be back with the team next year with the return of Quinton Carter.

I think it is pretty certain that we start out next season with Champ, Harris, and Carter as the top 3 CBs. Bolden is going to have to become more comfortable and step up to be able to be counted on which is why I believe we're going to have to bring in one more to challenge him. He is a Special Teams stud so his spot on the team is valued in that regard. I think we start the same safeties with Carter providing a back up role for both/push Adams for a starting position. I believe Rahim Moore has solidified his role in the secondary with his vast improvement, I am completely amazed from year one to year two. Bruton will also stick because of his value on special teams.

I am just curious as to what you guys think of the future of our secondary, I for one am very pleased by them. Both Harris and Carter are solid and they seem to be very aggressive once the ball is in the air, something that I think Champ could have always been better at. This is open for any discussion about position groups on the team, RB, OL, LB, DL.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

assuming Porter comes back, which depends on need and how much interest he gets in FA.
don't see him being a back up. unless it's to shift him into the nickel DB position similar to Harris.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I'm happy to see Moore being thought of as a legitmate starter on the defense. Told you guys he would end up playing well. UCLA!
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
schaaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I'm happy to see Moore being thought of as a legitmate starter on the defense. Told you guys he would end up playing well. UCLA!
I've also read several interviews of players this year that have said he's the most improved player from last year. What's blown me away is his tackling ability, there has been several plays this year that I've seen him make a tackle 2-3 yards deep that it seems like we never have a safety capable of making.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
schaaf

I would also like to know if you guys have heard anything (Montrose) regarding Porter, From his twitter account it seems that he is pretty unhappy about the last several weeks. There was the rumor a while ago but it seemed to be debunked.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Champ, Carter, Harris, Bolden, Moore, Carter, Adams will be back for sure. That leaves us 1 CB and 2 S short. I am not sure Bruton will be back, if he is satisfied with being a special teamer I see no reason why they wouldn't resign him, but if he wants more than that and we have seen some special teamers who do, he will go elsewhere.

Porter is gone. I am not sure if Leonhard is coming back, I believe he will be given the option of coming back and probably without attending OTAs but we will see.

I think there is a reasonably good chance we draft a CB. I wouldn't be surprised to see us pick up another veteran safety, especially if Leonhard isn't coming back or if Bruton goes elsewhere.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

i don't see Adams being a starter next year. probably a back up to a draftee.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

William Moore from the Falcons seems to be the cream of the crop out there as a FA for SS
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Yeah I don't see Porter coming back. We really don't need him with Champ, Harris, Carter, and Bolden. Moore has been solid but I hope he starts picking the ball off (I was on pro-Moore from the start too). I would like to see Carter take Adams spot. And I like Burton on special teams and Leonard as a situational safety.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
g6matty

Matt elam in the first !
Old 12-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #11
Bmore Manning

I would like to see another big physical corner drafted. I personally really like press man corners, like Sherman and Browner. Carter has made some good plays, even if they were on bad throws.. I would like to see Harris stay in the slot.

Bolden is a press corner.. I really like Aaron Hester of UCLA as a mid to late round pick.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
I would like to see another big physical corner drafted. I personally really like press man corners, like Sherman and Browner. Carter has made some good plays, even if they were on bad throws.. I would like to see Harris stay in the slot.

Bolden is a press corner.. I really like Aaron Hester of UCLA as a mid to late round pick.
Browner was signed as a UDFA by Denver. One that got away
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
g6matty

Is rogers cromartie a free agent this coming year? Him or namdi are sure to be cut if its drc we could target him hed fit nicely as number 2 and take over for baily wen he retire
Old 12-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #14
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
I can't remember but was he signed the same year as the Marshall, Doom, Hixon, Culter, Kuper, etc. draft?
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:54 AM   #15
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
William Moore from the Falcons seems to be the cream of the crop out there as a FA for SS
Dashon Goldson as well.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:16 AM   #16
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Can't imagine Porter being back. I would have expected him to be medically cleared by now. Willing to bet there is more to the story, like the reports of him having a poor attitude. I think Leonhard's deal was only one year, correct? Not sure if he will be brought back, but I think he plays well in the % of snaps he sees. If Q. Carter can come back healthy, I think that helps our safety situation. Agree that Bruton has earned an extension with the team based on his special teams value.

Bailey, Harris, T. Carter, Moore and Bruton are locks. I think we can upgrade or consider other options elsewhere. I like our cornerbacks, but it would be nice to have another quality up and comer there. Not a huge fan of Bolden. Maybe he will get it eventually, but my odds are against it. Color me biased for using our high fourth round selection on that guy when more than three dozen prospects were available who could have done more for the team this year in comparison to him.

Last edited by Requiem; 12-14-2012 at 06:18 AM..
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:36 AM   #17
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Well, as one of his fans at the time, there's more to that story. It's not like he just became an awesome seahawk and we missed. Browner went to Canada-land for two seasons and really grew as a player. He really wasn't ready to play in the NFL. In camp he made a lot of mistakes and almost got cut on the field because of poor special teams play and effort. He's a great example of why the NFL needs a minor league system.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:44 AM   #18
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Didn't Browner blowout his knee or something
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #19
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Didn't Browner blowout his knee or something
No he broke his arm but the team waived him. No one wanted him and he went to Canada.

Last edited by Kaylore; 12-14-2012 at 07:28 AM..
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #20
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Well, as one of his fans at the time, there's more to that story. It's not like he just became an awesome seahawk and we missed. Browner went to Canada-land for two seasons and really grew as a player. He really wasn't ready to play in the NFL. In camp he made a lot of mistakes and almost got cut on the field because of poor special teams play and effort. He's a great example of why the NFL needs a minor league system.
NFL teams need to be more open to developmental guys, guys like Cameron Wake, Brandon Browner and Kurt Warner have all shown that some times you need patience to turn a young player into an all-pro.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote