The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #76
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
At first I was surprised you went with Dalton over Cam Newton but after some thought it makes sense.

What about long snapper?
I went with Kyle Nelson from San Diego over the kid from St Louis.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #77
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...inst-megatron/

Although Lions-Cardinals is nowhere near the NFL’s best game on Sunday, that game will feature one of the NFL’s best individual matchups when Lions receiver Calvin Johnson is covered by Cardinals cornerback Patrick Peterson.

In fact, to hear Peterson tell it, the only better individual matchup in all the NFL than Peterson vs. Megatron is the one that happens in Cardinals practice, when Peterson covers teammate Larry Fitzgerald.

“I think I am the best cornerback in the league right now,” Peterson told reporters in a conference call this week. “You know, me and Calvin, we’re the same caliber players.”

But Peterson doesn’t consider Johnson the best receiver in the league right now.

“He’s second in my book behind Larry,” Peterson said.
he probably is

on both counts..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #78
bronco militia
made a business decision"

no Ryan Kerrigan, Marcell Dareus?
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #79
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Shaq Barrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Just one man's opinion......

I cannot recall Miller tooting his own horn about being the best....you usually hear other players and coaches and analysts and fans saying it
Yep. How does the saying go?

When you're GOOD, you tell people.

When you're GREAT, THEY tell YOU.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #80
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Wtf? DL is way the **** off. No Aldon or Wilkerson on your team even

DEs: Aldon Smith, Houston
DTs: Watt, Wilkerson

And Richard Sherman has to be Opp Peterson.
I wouldn't start Aldon Smith in a 4-3 in a million years, he defends the run less well than Elvis Dumervil does. Watt is better at base end than at 3-tech, he makes most of his plays in the 5-tech against the RT and in a 4-3 I would have him play LDE and kick him inside on passing downs. Fairley is the 2nd best 3-tech in the league right now behind Geno Atkins. Wilkerson is a good alternative to Liuget, I went with Liuget because I have seen more of his games and know his game better. I will give you Aldon Smith, Fairley, Wilkerson and Watt - but no way in hell I am putting Houston and Aldon Smith in there.

I tried to stay away from people who are injured, using PEDs or otherwise suspended, that is why I don't have Sherman.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #81
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
If I was going with a 3-4 defense:

Aldon Smith, JJ watt, Wilkerson, Dareus, Von Miller with Akeem Ayers and Bruce Carter at ILB.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #82
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Kerrigan has stepped up during this skins win streak but he I still wouldn't put him on this all 2011 draft team.

In all fairness, maybe he needs more help. Right now the only capable pass rusher on the skins is rob jackson and even he isn't consistent at it.

But Kerrigan was a disappearing act earlier this season.

He's ok and still early in his career, definitely has flashes of perhaps becoming a dominating guy but at some point he will be labeled as just who he is, a nice slightly above avg player
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #83
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I wouldn't start Aldon Smith in a 4-3 in a million years, he defends the run less well than Elvis Dumervil does. Watt is better at base end than at 3-tech, he makes most of his plays in the 5-tech against the RT and in a 4-3 I would have him play LDE and kick him inside on passing downs. Fairley is the 2nd best 3-tech in the league right now behind Geno Atkins. Wilkerson is a good alternative to Liuget, I went with Liuget because I have seen more of his games and know his game better. I will give you Aldon Smith, Fairley, Wilkerson and Watt - but no way in hell I am putting Houston and Aldon Smith in there.

I tried to stay away from people who are injured, using PEDs or otherwise suspended, that is why I don't have Sherman.
Ok no Smith at DE but you put Houston there? No Dareus over fairley?
Old 12-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #84
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Mobley

Quote:
Texas fans are saying the same about JJ
9er fans are saying the same about Aldon
Bengal fans are saying the same about Green
Cardinals fans are saying the same about Peterson
Panther fans are saying the same about Cam
Etc
Too bad they are all wrong.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #85
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinBronco View Post
Von miller is more important than PP.

A dominating pass rusher is the single biggest key on a defense. Look at the giants; secondary is suspect but that pass rush is elite
San Diego was keeping 3 blockers in at times to deal with Von Miller.
He forces an offense to change what they do on almost every down. He has to be accounted for on every play.

All Peterson's opposing QBs have to do is throw away from him. Can he shut down their best WR? Certainly. That's a nice luxury and we've had that with Champ for years. But, we also saw how useless Champ was without real pressure up front.

Most teams have 2-3 viable weapons in the passing game now, if not more.
A franchise cornerback can only deal with one of them.

We picked the right guy. I can't imagine any Broncos fans would argue that at this point. It's not even close.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #86
g6matty

Quote:
Texas fans are saying the same about JJ
9er fans are saying the same about Aldon
Bengal fans are saying the same about Green
Cardinals fans are saying the same about Peterson
Panther fans are saying the same about Cam
Etc
Give me AJ .but for our team we needed von more then green
Old 12-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #87
bronco militia
made a business decision"

what an awesome draft
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #88
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #89
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Ok no Smith at DE but you put Houston there? No Dareus over fairley?
Houston is a much better run defender than Aldon Smith, he isn't quite as strong as a pure pass rusher but it is closer than the stats suggest - without the 5.5 sacks Aldon Smith got against a retarded Chicago Bears offence the sack numbers would be within tolerance when considering Houston plays on the left side of the defense much of the time.

Dareus would be instead of Wilkerson or Liuget - he is not nearly as disruptive as Fairley and they don't play the same position.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #90
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
what an awesome draft
2011 was really strong at some positions.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #91
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Because I have seen what each guy has done for his respective franchise. JMO; I go by the eye test and impact from what I see
I'm not saying anyone has to agree or anything
Yeah ok. The "eye" test shows the Broncos were better than the Redskins and Bailey is going to the HOF and Portis will be lucky to get Redskins Ring of Fame consideration.

There were a lot of problems with our defense in the playoffs in the 2000's, Bailey wasn't one of them. And Harrison never did anything when we played the Colts with Bailey.

I have found two people on this board who think we lost the Portis/Bailey trade and one of them is a Redskin fan. Shocking.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #92
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Yeah ok. The "eye" test shows the Broncos were better than the Redskins and Bailey is going to the HOF and Portis will be lucky to get Redskins Ring of Fame consideration.

There were a lot of problems with our defense in the playoffs in the 2000's, Bailey wasn't one of them. And Harrison never did anything when we played the Colts with Bailey.

I have found two people on this board who think we lost the Portis/Bailey trade and one of them is a Redskin fan. Shocking.
When did I say the Broncos lost the trade? I just said I disagree that this was a freaking fleecing.

Portis had a hell of a run in DC and was critical to the 2 playoff years under Gibbs.

I saw it as a pretty even trade and I saw a lot of articles saying it was a good trade for both teams when it was debated during the 2005-2008 timeframe.

edit: also if you want to mock my eye test, I have one question only: While champ bailey was with the broncos and portis with the skins, what was the playoff wins count?

I see 1 for champ and 1 for portis

and I am not even trying to be combative, just it seems to always lead to people getting bent out of shape on this board if someone dares be critical of the broncos at all; and this is coming from me a person who really is more critical on the skins and more bullish on what the broncos do organizationally.

Last edited by RedskinBronco; 12-13-2012 at 02:08 PM..
Old 12-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #93
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
When did I say the Broncos lost the trade? I just said I disagree that this was a freaking fleecing.

Portis had a hell of a run in DC and was critical to the 2 playoff years under Gibbs.

I saw it as a pretty even trade and I saw a lot of articles saying it was a good trade for both teams when it was debated during the 2005-2008 timeframe.

edit: also if you want to mock my eye test, I have one question only: While champ bailey was with the broncos and portis with the skins, what was the playoff wins count?

and I am not even trying to be combative, just it seems to always lead to people getting bent out of shape on this board if someone dares be critical of the broncos at all; and this is coming from me a person who really is more critical on the skins and more bullish on what the broncos do organizationally.
Quick

Name the top 10 defensive players of the last 8 years

Name the top 10 (non QB) offensive players of the last 8 years

Who's name would appear on the list more often. I bet Champ appears on 90% of the lists. Portis would be lucky to appear 10%

Who had a more dramatic effect on the outcome of that one playoff win. Denver stopped NE's record 10 game win playoff win streak and Bailey showed up like the HOF player he is. What did Portis do in his playoff win?

Plus Denver got a 2nd round pick. Yes Denver got the better end of the trade.
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #94
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

I personally don't agree, but it is what it is. Moving on.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #95
DenverBound
Thanks for the memories

This one's for Pat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Quick

Name the top 10 defensive players of the last 8 years

Name the top 10 (non QB) offensive players of the last 8 years

Who's name would appear on the list more often. I bet Champ appears on 90% of the lists. Portis would be lucky to appear 10%

Who had a more dramatic effect on the outcome of that one playoff win. Denver stopped NE's record 10 game win playoff win streak and Bailey showed up like the HOF player he is. What did Portis do in his playoff win?

Plus Denver got a 2nd round pick. Yes Denver got the better end of the trade.
Owned. Give it up Foreskin. You were out played.
DenverBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #96
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBound View Post
Owned. Give it up Foreskin. You were out played.
Im real cool with names I come up with! I'm so awesome.

go back into mom's basement. thanks!

Last edited by RedskinBronco; 12-13-2012 at 04:29 PM..
Old 12-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #97
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Now to get this back to a normal, mature conversation.

Bottom line: both players wanted out. I just find it funny how some of you perceived Portis as a God when he was in Denver but when he got traded, he became absolute trash, just because he wanted out.

Both players did not want to be with their original teams. I'm not going to argue who did what, as I said, IMO I believe it was a good trade for both teams but to each his own.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #98
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Now to get this back to a normal, mature conversation.

Bottom line: both players wanted out. I just find it funny how some of you perceived Portis as a God when he was in Denver but when he got traded, he became absolute trash, just because he wanted out.

Both players did not want to be with their original teams. I'm not going to argue who did what, as I said, IMO I believe it was a good trade for both teams but to each his own.
Were you here when he was traded? He was not that highly praised, he was similarly as polarizing as many of the high profile players that rolled through Denver post Superbowls.

I know I personally didn't love him and thought he was an unnecessary draft pick with Gary and MA on the team.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #99
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Were you here when he was traded? He was not that highly praised, he was similarly as polarizing as many of the high profile players that rolled through Denver post Superbowls.

I know I personally didn't love him and thought he was an unnecessary draft pick with Gary and MA on the team.
As in OM? I came 2005, but I remember reading all the arguments.

I know not everyone likes Clinton, but from what I know is he was very well liked and everyone loved his WWE celebration after absolutely running all over KC.

Of course, human nature was to trash him after he became disgruntled and labeled Denver as boring or white, I forget the exact words but it was along those lines.

Bottom line is I really don't have a dog in this fight. I love both players. Ironically, I have a Champ skins jersey and I have a Portis Denver jersey. I was merely stating my own personal opinion on the trade. I wasn't trying to convince anyone of anything but evidently some people got their panties in a bunch because they were butthurt over the whole separation with clinton. I imagine it's the same as it is with skins fans here who can't stand Champ because he wanted out.

Just my 2 cents. Yet, it seems people want to fight about it and start the name calling.

/rant
Old 12-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #100
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

Because Portis is a running back and Champ is a corner.

And you can try and pretend the trade was "even" because "they won the same amount of playoff games" but what sort of stupid criterion is that? The rest of the team, their coaches and especially the QB they happen to play with has more to do with their playoff success than their personal ability.

That's like saying Trent Dilfer is a better QB than Dan Marino because he won a Super Bowl and Marino didn't.

At the time it did seem like a fair trade were it not for the second round pick. Then Gibbs tried to turn Portis into a power back.

Portis put up some decent numbers and was a second string player in 1 pro bowl as the last back up.

Champ Bailey is an 11 time pro bowl player and three time all pro and going into the hall of fame.

It's not even close. The Redskins traded a HOF corner and a second round pick for speed back in the wrong system.

The Redskins were fleeced. Does that mean Portis didn't help the team or play well for them? No. But if I was to do this trade again for a running back, I would need a back like Adrian Peterson to warrant the trade as "even." And no one here was EVER saying it was a fair trade because of the second round pick. Since that time it has played out to be a horrid trade for the Redskins.

Last edited by Kaylore; 12-14-2012 at 06:38 AM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote