The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #26
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Whoa wait, so I'm on his nutsack when I give him credit where credit is due, but what does that make you guys that talk about him all season when he struggles?
Your on his nutsack because your pretty much the only person on this board who can't stop singing his praises and talking about how he'll be a good head coach someday. It's nauseating.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #27
Action
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Your on his nutsack because your pretty much the only person on this board who can't stop singing his praises and talking about how he'll be a good head coach someday. It's nauseating.
You really didn't answer my question or refute anything I said.

If possible, try harder.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #28
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer
 
rbackfactory80's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 4,554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Seriously? Of course I think he makes a difference. Didn't you see my space after one of the commas? Sorry this year has been rough on you. Maybe someday you will get a little humor back in your life
Humor =/= idiocy
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #29
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
You really didn't answer my question or refute anything I said.

If possible, try harder.
It wasn't my intention to refute anything. I'm just sick of you slobbing the knob of a guy who was a disgrace to the Broncos organization.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #30
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,345

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
McCoy sucks, therefore hoping for a great gameplan from the first snap is futile.
You didn't bother to read what Mediator said to you, did you?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:37 PM   #31
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,562

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
Him and Hernandez are a nightmare. Then add the rest of that crew. We were fortunate enough to play them when Hernandez was out last game.
They were fortunate enough to get us early when we still had guys learning to play together, learning new plays on both sides of the ball, not to mention in their house.

It goes both ways.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #32
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,562

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Thanks for breaking down like that.

I've been trying to make it clear to people, that this is a product of what McDaniels started in Denver when he started scripting plays here.

He's brought that over to NE and it was evolved with their "one word" no huddle and that's what leads them to their blazing fast starts.

Scripting obviously started with Shanahan but that was only for like 9-12 plays. McDaniels had turned that into like 3-4 drives or almost the whole 1st qtr+.

Just a little Denver history.

And I'm not sure if McCoy has the creativity to script anything.
Not sure if you realize this or not but most NFL teams script their first 15 plays or so. It's a pretty common thing. I'm not going to argue that McD is not a great coordinator because he is. But we've seen many a time, that doesn't automatically mean a guy is HC material. So many more things go into being a good HC. Josh obviously was not ready for it. Not saying he never will. Most guys do learn quite a bit from their first go around, then again some don't.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 AM   #33
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 971
Default

McDaniels is an awesome gameplanner, and play caller. Brady has career years every year McDaniels is the play caller. Numbers don't lie. It's just that he was given too much power when he was hired here.
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:37 AM   #34
Action
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Not sure if you realize this or not but most NFL teams script their first 15 plays or so. It's a pretty common thing. I'm not going to argue that McD is not a great coordinator because he is. But we've seen many a time, that doesn't automatically mean a guy is HC material. So many more things go into being a good HC. Josh obviously was not ready for it. Not saying he never will. Most guys do learn quite a bit from their first go around, then again some don't.
No, most NFL teams don't script their plays... many do, I don't know the number but to say the majority do is a little bit of a stretch.

No it's not 15 plays either, do you realize how many sorry offensive teams out there? To be able to script 15 straight plays would be an OC with a very bright mind.

Bill Walsh started all this and he did around 20, and that was amazing. Shanny did what? Like 10-15 plays?...

Patriots didn't script plays until this year...

Last edited by Action; 12-12-2012 at 01:39 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #35
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
The Fixer

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,724

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
No, most NFL teams don't script their plays... many do, I don't know the number but to say the majority do is a little bit of a stretch.

No it's not 15 plays either, do you realize how many sorry offensive teams out there? To be able to script 15 straight plays would be an OC with a very bright mind.

Bill Walsh started all this and he did around 20, and that was amazing. Shanny did what? Like 10-15 plays?...

Patriots didn't script plays until this year...
Tell me again why it takes a special mind to pre plan the first 15 or so plays.

It's not that hard
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #36
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,147
Default

I have to laugh at the "genius" of a coordinator because he gets to call plays for a hall of fame QB, with all pro TEs, and two solid WRs with a great OL.

Funny how McD's genius doesn't extend to the run game, TEs, QBs, WRs when they're just average players.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #37
Action
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
I have to laugh at the "genius" of a coordinator because he gets to call plays for a hall of fame QB, with all pro TEs, and two solid WRs with a great OL.

Funny how McD's genius doesn't extend to the run game, TEs, QBs, WRs when they're just average players.
I also have to laugh when people try and use this logic for their own opinion.

Have you ever tried using this logic for every single play caller in the NFL? What prolific NFL play caller do you know that doesn't have a top QB? What prolific NFL play caller made his name by calling plays for average players?

So New England's WR's outside of Welker are above average now?

Check Cassell's output with McDaniels play calling...Look at Orton's career with McDaniels then without McDaniels. Look at Orton's output right after McDaniels was fired.

Doesn't extend to the run game? You mean New England's 7th in the league in rushing run game? While being 5th in passing?

McDaniels gets to call plays for all pro TEs now? You mean the 2 TE's that haven't been on the field with each other all season? 1 that has an injury all season long and another that got injured for the season as the other one came back?

Funny how people can't respect someone when they have personal feelings against them. It's the American way!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #38
Action
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

It's funny how Peyton Manning only plays well when he has weapons on his team. You know, he's not that good because it's funny how he picks a team with weapons, if he was so good he would have gone to another team with average players to REALLY show his talent...you know guys?

Manning has always had Wayne or Dallas Clark...etc Demaryius Thomas..etc he's really not that good.

  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #39
Action
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Tell me again why it takes a special mind to pre plan the first 15 or so plays.

It's not that hard
15 plays can span across 3 drives and at most 4-5.

To script 15 plays, you're taking into account 3 and out's, down and distance, turn overs...and what happens if a play doesn't work.

Imagine if you scripted the first 15 plays and the defense completely stuffs you for the 4/9 first plays... and that has caused you to punt twice. Imagine you were on a 3rd and 15 because your previous 2 plays were stuffed and your next play on the "script" was a play action that was focused on the team biting on the run (like the long Lloyd TD against Houston)...

There's just so many things to take into account... when you're scripting plays you have to be so sure these plays will work or else you just wasted a lot of practice time on scripting your plays.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #40
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
The Fixer

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,724

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
15 plays can span across 3 drives and at most 4-5.

To script 15 plays, you're taking into account 3 and out's, down and distance, turn overs...and what happens if a play doesn't work.

Imagine if you scripted the first 15 plays and the defense completely stuffs you for the 4/9 first plays... and that has caused you to punt twice. Imagine you were on a 3rd and 15 because your previous 2 plays were stuffed and your next play on the "script" was a play action that was focused on the team biting on the run (like the long Lloyd TD against Houston)...

There's just so many things to take into account... when you're scripting plays you have to be so sure these plays will work or else you just wasted a lot of practice time on scripting your plays.
There is no way to know if a OC scraps his script due to circumstances such as you mention therefore there is no way to gauge success or failure.

I have read Shanny was forced at times to go away from his script.

BTW I agree with you on Josh's talent. Rather or not he will grow to be a great HC remains to be seen. He needs to develop people skills that much is clear.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #41
Action
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
There is no way to know if a OC scraps his script due to circumstances such as you mention therefore there is no way to gauge success or failure.

I have read Shanny was forced at times to go away from his script.

BTW I agree with you on Josh's talent. Rather or not he will grow to be a great HC remains to be seen. He needs to develop people skills that much is clear.
That is true, I was merely just saying why it's difficult. I mean, it's much easier to put together your general situational football game plan and run plays from that, not having to worry about scripting anything...
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #42
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
The Fixer

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,724

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
That is true, I was merely just saying why it's difficult. I mean, it's much easier to put together your general situational football game plan and run plays from that, not having to worry about scripting anything...
My point is scripting plays does not require genius level intellect if you can scrap it without incident when it is not panning out.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #43
BroncoFox
Unofficial Cheer******
 
BroncoFox's Avatar
 
If I have fleas.. they are happy.

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,909
Default

The genius is the drafting and free agent stuff they do, that's all it is really. Their jerkhead coach is amazing at finding talent. And doing stuff like creating the double tight end thingie. They just have a lot of really good players. If you have the players, you can win a lot of games easily.
BroncoFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #44
rugbythug
Church Eyes.
 
rugbythug's Avatar
 
Salty Dog

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,073

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFox View Post
The genius is the drafting and free agent stuff they do, that's all it is really. Their jerkhead coach is amazing at finding talent. And doing stuff like creating the double tight end thingie. They just have a lot of really good players. If you have the players, you can win a lot of games easily.
everyone knew that both of those tight end were gonna be talents. however they both have serious injury issues.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #45
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,849
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFox View Post
The genius is the drafting and free agent stuff they do, that's all it is really.
It makes it a lot easier when you can trade one of your good friends (Schiano) your 4th round draft pick for a #1 CB (Aqib Talib).

Other than that, Belicheat has been abysmal at finding talent in the Secondary.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:08 AM   #46
Action
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
My point is scripting plays does not require genius level intellect if you can scrap it without incident when it is not panning out.
Well I mean, I guess that's like saying playing football doesn't require much skill if you can just quit whenever you get injured.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #47
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
The Fixer

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,724

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Well I mean, I guess that's like saying playing football doesn't require much skill if you can just quit whenever you get injured.
I just think you are making out that scripting 15 plays is way more difficult than it is. My goodness you claim genius intellect is required. We just disagree.

Do you play chess?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #48
g6matty
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Scripting plays is also to see how teams are going to attack a formation so later in the game you know how to attack the defense out of said formation
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:11 AM.


Denver Broncos