The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,400

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default Tagliabue vacates Bounty players suspensions

But found their conduct was detrimental to the league.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/P...ensions-121112
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
swaiy
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Sham. I hope Vilma sues the **** out of Goodell.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Næstved, DK
Posts: 10,879

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

I don't get the logic behind this, so there was a bounty system and the players lied about it when questioned, but they are not punished despite violating their contractual terms to cooperate with NFL investigations?
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Næstved, DK
Posts: 10,879

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaiy View Post
Sham. I hope Vilma sues the **** out of Goodell.
For what? he hasn't missed a single game, has suffered no monetary losses due to the actions of Goodell. He already has a defamation suit going and that will be going nowhere.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
swaiy
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
For what? he hasn't missed a single game, has suffered no monetary losses due to the actions of Goodell. He already has a defamation suit going and that will be going nowhere.
The defamation suit was what I was talking about.

Lets be real here. Wasnt it the NFL that said they had over 18,000 pieces of evidence proving these players were in fact participating in a bounty program? If that is the case, why were the suspensions vacated? Why did he say the Saints as an organization contaminated the entire case? How is that possible if they submitted all the evidence to the league?

This doesnt vindicate the players at all. This basically says, "we will remove the suspensions but we cant admit we were wrong because that would give Vilma's defamation suit traction."

Also, by vacating the player suspensions and putting it on the coaches, they can still justify keeping Payton and Williams suspended.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #6
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Næstved, DK
Posts: 10,879

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaiy View Post
The defamation suit was what I was talking about.

Lets be real here. Wasnt it the NFL that said they had over 18,000 pieces of evidence proving these players were in fact participating in a bounty program? If that is the case, why were the suspensions vacated? Why did he say the Saints as an organization contaminated the entire case? How is that possible if they submitted all the evidence to the league?

This doesnt vindicate the players at all. This basically says, "we will remove the suspensions but we cant admit we were wrong because that would give Vilma's defamation suit traction."

Also, by vacating the player suspensions and putting it on the coaches, they can still justify keeping Payton and Williams suspended.
Tagliabue said point blank that the players had committed acts detrimental to the league but he wouldn't punish them for reasons that only he currently understands.

The defamation suit contents that Goodell defamed Vilma by claiming that Vilma offered a bounty on Brett Favre. Tagliabue saying that the players and by extension Vilma did in fact commit acts detrimental to the league (he didn't specify what those acts might be) doesn't mean Vilma didn't offer a bounty on Favre and I doubt anyone would be able to successfully spin it that way.

There is no question there was a bounty program, only a few Saints fans and players seem to somehow live under the misguided notion that it didn't occur. The question is whether the players participated in said program actively beyond what could be expected by being pressured by the coaching staff and if they lied about it during the NFL investigation. It seems that Tagliabue has found that the players didn't participate more than what could be expected by pressure from the coaching staff and for some reason he doesn't feel the need to punish the players for lying.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer
 
Bigdawg26's Avatar
 
Just let it happen!!

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,940

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaiy View Post
Sham. I hope Vilma sues the **** out of Goodell.
I just hope it will all be over with. That whole BS was exhausting! So it is Goodell's ego and control for that matter.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,400

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

I just don't understand the suspensions for the coaches and Belichick gets nabbed video taping, conduct detrimental to the league, and gets a fine.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
swaiy
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

This reeks of BS. Hey players, lets settle. If you admit guilt, we will drop the suspensions. The players rejected the settlement, and lo and behold, the suspensions were dropped.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #10
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer
 
Bigdawg26's Avatar
 
Just let it happen!!

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,940

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
I just don't understand the suspensions for the coaches and Belichick gets nabbed video taping, conduct detrimental to the league, and gets a fine.
I don’t want to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I don’t think all of that BS would have happened if the Super Bowl wasn’t held in New Orleans. The saints could have been big contenders for the NFC championship if it wasn’t for all this turmoil and suspending top coaches. Also, New Orleans is a cash cow for all major sports events because of its partying, low taxes for having events, close proximity of the Superdome to the Casino, French Quarter, Bourbon St., and convention center. The league would have lost A LOT of money if the Saints would have been in it. And we do know money drives the league now a days!
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,019

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
I just don't understand the suspensions for the coaches and Belichick gets nabbed video taping, conduct detrimental to the league, and gets a fine.
I still dont think the videotaping done by the Patriots was a big deal. They were just taping someone everyone saw anyway, and something Belichick even stated didnt help much.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,138
Default

this whole process was stupid. they never really had any evidence to condemn the players. it was the coaches and GM that had the most damning actions.
they lied more so than anyone else.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #13
bronco_diesel
giddy-up
 
bronco_diesel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: denver
Posts: 1,305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
I just don't understand the suspensions for the coaches and Belichick gets nabbed video taping, conduct detrimental to the league, and gets a fine.
100% agree!
bronco_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #14
bronco_diesel
giddy-up
 
bronco_diesel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: denver
Posts: 1,305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I still dont think the videotaping done by the Patriots was a big deal. They were just taping someone everyone saw anyway, and something Belichick even stated didnt help much.
of course Belichick is going to say that.
bronco_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #15
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,019

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco_diesel View Post
of course Belichick is going to say that.
They video taped defensive hand signals. its all out in the open. The advantage had to be minimal. Need proof? 16-0 the next season
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #16
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
They video taped defensive hand signals. its all out in the open. The advantage had to be minimal. Need proof? 16-0 the next season
and yet their team hasn't won a super bowl since spygate ended.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #17
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,019

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
and yet their team hasn't won a super bowl since spygate ended.
And yet they've been to two and havent skipped a beat since.

So, youre saying David Tyree's circus catch is a direct result of the Patriots not having video of defensive hand signals?

Dont be dumb.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #18
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality
 
Blueflame's Avatar
 
Welcome to Peyton's Place

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in my cups... lol
Posts: 33,590

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I still dont think the videotaping done by the Patriots was a big deal. They were just taping someone everyone saw anyway, and something Belichick even stated didnt help much.
Of course he's gonna say (after being caught) that "it didn't help much". I'd counter, however... that if it really didn't help much, then why would they have bothered to do it? It seems pretty clear to me that if it wasn't at least somewhat helpful, then they wouldn't have done it (and risked getting caught and sanctioned by the league). Common sense says that the only reason for breaking the rules is if you did, in fact, gain a competitive edge from it. To me, Belichick's statement appears to be nothing more than "damage control" after being caught.... "minimizing and rationalizing" what he chose to do. And had he not been caught, he would still be doing it.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #19
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,400

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I still dont think the videotaping done by the Patriots was a big deal. They were just taping someone everyone saw anyway, and something Belichick even stated didnt help much.
I don't believe they would have fined Belichick $500,000 and the team if it wasn't a big deal. I bet Kraft paid it all.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #20
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,019

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
I don't believe they would have fined Belichick $500,000 and the team if it wasn't a big deal. I bet Kraft paid it all.
It wasnt. Clearly it wasn't. He's the kind of guy that looks for any advantage he can, and he was wrong, but it was not the secret to their success. Have they skipped a beat since?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #21
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,400

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
And yet they've been to two and havent skipped a beat since.

So, youre saying David Tyree's circus catch is a direct result of the Patriots not having video of defensive hand signals?

Dont be dumb.
But is an 8-8 team and a 9-7 team beating them in the SB a result? Maybe, maybe not but a $500K fine is an indication of conduct detrimental to the league that compares to the Saints. Yet, he's allowed to keep coaching.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #22
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,400

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
It wasnt. Clearly it wasn't. He's the kind of guy that looks for any advantage he can, and he was wrong, but it was not the secret to their success. Have they skipped a beat since?
No matter how you look at it, the fact that they haven't won a SB, as dominant as they've remained, indicates somethings missing, especially when a 16-0 team loses to an 8-8 team.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #23
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,400

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
It wasnt. Clearly it wasn't. He's the kind of guy that looks for any advantage he can, and he was wrong, but it was not the secret to their success. Have they skipped a beat since?
$500K isn't a big deal
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #24
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,019

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
No matter how you look at it, the fact that they haven't won a SB, as dominant as they've remained, indicates somethings missing, especially when a 16-0 team loses to an 8-8 team.
Considering a gazillion variables go into winning a football game, youre really going to point to THAT as the reason they lost? You guys would have a point if the Patriots were suddenly 5-11 after Spygate, but thyre in the playoffs every year, have been in 2 super bowls that they could have just as easily have won, and havent skipped a beat.

It did nothing. Obviously the penalty is fine, you dont want to insinuate its ok, but taping defensive signals that probably change from game to game is essentially worthless. We all see them anyway!
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #25
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!
 
gunns's Avatar
 
Defense, defense, defense

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Always Hoping
Posts: 12,400

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Considering a gazillion variables go into winning a football game, youre really going to point to THAT as the reason they lost? You guys would have a point if the Patriots were suddenly 5-11 after Spygate, but thyre in the playoffs every year, have been in 2 super bowls that they could have just as easily have won, and havent skipped a beat.

It did nothing. Obviously the penalty is fine, you dont want to insinuate its ok, but taping defensive signals that probably change from game to game is essentially worthless. We all see them anyway!
We each have our own opinions. My point was that if the league found it detrimental enough to fine that much money why the difference in the punishments.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:44 PM.


Denver Broncos