The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default Denver has number 2 scoring offense, number 4 scoring defense

I prefer to look at these stats after all the games have been played in a week *cough*Baja*cough*

Scoring > yardage because points count and yards don't.

Us and the Colts are the only teams with a winning record who are in the negative in turnover differential.

FYI After that beat down last night. NE's number 1 scoring offense is almost ten points ahead of us, and they now have the number 11 scoring defense and still lead the league in turnovers.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
g6matty

Lonestar will be here to point out the weak schedule and the amount of points scored on us againt texans pats and atl. Then tell us we're a year or two away from the superbowl.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
CEH
Ring of Famer

Point differiantial is another quality stat. Takes into account how both sides of the ball compliment each other. I think Denver is #3 right now at 9.1
NE is just crazy at 15.1 followed by SF at 10.1

Next week SF at NE will be interesting.
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Was just looking at some stats. NE has a pretty middling defense, but have forced 31 fumbles, recovering 19, which is 2 more recoveries than we have FFs, and we're at the top of the NFL in FFs. Just one of those years when an average defense becomes elite because they can force turnovers.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Sounds good, but none of the stats probably matter anymore after 5 days, when the Broncos playoff seeding is basically set.

After that, it comes down to execution, and if the Broncos can begin to play 'perfect' games in the playoffs on the road in order to reach the Superbowl.

It's a tall order, and nearly impossible, but a fate that the Broncos had to know they were going to perpetually face, ever since they were blown out in the playoffs last year.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
bronco_diesel
giddy-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6matty View Post
Lonestar will be here to point out the weak schedule and the amount of points scored on us againt texans pats and atl. Then tell us we're a year or two away from the superbowl.
Thank you for being here to tell us what Lonestar will probably say.
bronco_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
Was just looking at some stats. NE has a pretty middling defense, but have forced 31 fumbles, recovering 19, which is 2 more recoveries than we have FFs, and we're at the top of the NFL in FFs. Just one of those years when an average defense becomes elite because they can force turnovers.
Belicheat coaches them to force fumbles, because the law of averages determines that the more fumbles you force, the more you recover. The more fumbles you recover, the more you win.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco_diesel View Post
Thank you for being here to tell us what Lonestar will probably say.

Cold reality is tough for some to take.

If last night and the NE game earlier didn't enlighten your ass nothing will.

It will take a perfect game to win in NE.............
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Belicheat coaches them to force fumbles, because the law of averages determines that the more fumbles you force, the more you recover. The more fumbles you recover, the more you win.
Doesn't every team coach the defense to strip the ball or cause a fumble whenever possible? Pretty sure that's football 101. Conversely, ever team teaches/coaches and practices holding onto the ball when on offense, or ball security.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
bronco_diesel
giddy-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post

Of course I realize that...It would be the playoffs and in NE. Not that hard to figure out, but thanks.
bronco_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post

oh, the wisdom of the omane. This, this is why I come here. Yes, it's for enlightening wisdom like the above post. "Cold reality", please give me another gatorade dumping of some of your brilliant insight.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #12
CEH
Ring of Famer

NE defense reminds me of the Broncos D in 2005. They created a ton of turnovers int he season and their playoff game against Brady. When the defense failed to generate a turnover against Pittsburgh they were mauled on 3rd down

I could see NE defense suffer the same fate. Don't turn the ball over and play NE straight up

Last night that bogus PI really took the momentum from HOUS and placed it right back on NE . Really a turnover as it allowed NE to continue a drive
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #13
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Last night that bogus PI really took the momentum from HOUS and placed it right back on NE . Really a turnover as it allowed NE to continue a drive
There were several penalties that sustained drives for NE. That is something that every visiting team has been facing in Foxborough since Belicheat became coach, and something Denver will likely face too.

This weekend is the Broncos last chance to practice perfection on the road.

All other road games the remainder of the season will be DO or DIE.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #14
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

Are you saying this because it's our last road game until the playoffs?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #15
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Doesn't every team coach the defense to strip the ball or cause a fumble whenever possible?
No, they don't. Some teams obviously devote more practice time to it than others. The Patriots practice it, and study film about how to force and recover fumbles, everyday single day at practice.

http://www.csnchicago.com/11/30/12/F...177&tagID=9226

The Broncos don't do that.

When Shanahan was coaching the Broncos during the Superbowl years, the Defense was supposed to try to strip the ball from fellow Broncos Offensive players during plays (in practice), after plays, walking back to the huddle, and in the locker room.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #16
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
No, they don't. Some teams obviously devote more practice time to it than others. The Patriots practice it, and study film about how to force and recover fumbles, everyday single day at practice.

Yes they do. In fact it was one of the few things they worked on specifically last week for the Raider game. You don't get toward the top of the league in any stat in any pro sport without working on it.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #17
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

The biggest mis match between the Broncos and the Patriots is coaching. Belichick and yes McDaniels are the best in the business while Fox and Company are above average with JDR & Manning making them top five. Trouble is Belichick & McD will find your weakness and game plan something innovative to take advantage of it. That is why they consistently score early in their games. Figure what they are doing early (before half time) and we can beat them.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #18
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:

When Shanahan was coaching the Broncos during the Superbowl years, the Defense was supposed to try to strip the ball from fellow Broncos Offensive players during plays (in practice), after plays, walking back to the huddle, and in the locker room.
Ok, so it was just teams I played on in pee-fuggen-wee football that coached this. Got it, thanks!
Old 12-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #19
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Ok, so it was just teams I played on in pee-fuggen-wee football that coached this. Got it, thanks!
Let me get this straight. You think all NFL teams dedicate the same exact amount of practice time and resources to forcing fumbles, and the Patriots are just "lucky"?

Even you could agree that your claim is not competitively nor mathematically possible. The same as it's not possible for every team to spend the same exact amount of time in redzone situations, or defending the hurry-up run game.

IAOFM.com claims that recovering fumbles is pure dumb luck, I contend that it's not. If it was, the story would not have came out that the Broncos began to practice "scooping" fumbles before the Raider game (no reason to practice if it's pure dumb luck right?).

Likewise, forcing fumbles, is also not just pure dumb luck, otherwise teams would not practice forcing fumbles. Belicheat plays the law of averages (that's why he defers kickoffs at the start of games), and that's why he devotes so much practice time to forcing fumbles.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #20
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Forcing fumbles isn't luck. Recovering them has been show to be so.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #21
sinuous sausage

I'd say recovering fumbles only seems like luck, as it's past the capacity of the human mind to calculate all the forces in play when a ball is knocked loose. In theory, all the physical data is ascertainable. Von Miller might be a defensive demigod but I don't think even he could process all the data (angle and force of blow, orientation and strength of ballcarrier, field conditions, etc.) necessary to determine the ball's location at a certain instant in time.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #22
sinuous sausage

then there's the metaphysical aspect to account for. that's where people like the Teebs come in
Old 12-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #23
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Let me get this straight. You think all NFL teams dedicate the same exact amount of practice time and resources to forcing fumbles, and the Patriots are just "lucky"?

Even you could agree that your claim is not competitively nor mathematically possible. The same as it's not possible for every team to spend the same exact amount of time in redzone situations, or defending the hurry-up run game.

IAOFM.com claims that recovering fumbles is pure dumb luck, I contend that it's not. If it was, the story would not have came out that the Broncos began to practice "scooping" fumbles before the Raider game (no reason to practice if it's pure dumb luck right?).

Likewise, forcing fumbles, is also not just pure dumb luck, otherwise teams would not practice forcing fumbles. Belicheat plays the law of averages (that's why he defers kickoffs at the start of games), and that's why he devotes so much practice time to forcing fumbles.

And if next year this falls to league avg has he stopped coaching it?
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #24
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:

What I'm saying is that coaching up defensive players to strip the ball is common practice, that is, every team coaches this stuff in one way or another. If Bellichick devotes more time to this than other teams ok fine. Is Bellichick coaching a strip technique that no one else knows about? I doubt it. As Kaylor said, forcing fumbles is not dumb luck and yes, some teams are better at it than others. However recovering said fumble is another issue dependent on random factors.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #25
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
There were several penalties that sustained drives for NE. That is something that every visiting team has been facing in Foxborough since Belicheat became coach, and something Denver will likely face too.

That PI probably should not have been called but how stupid was that defender? That was NOT going to be a completion and he has good position and he runs in front of the defender cutting him off. What a dumb ass.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote