The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
Bmore Manning

Default Offseason Plan 1.0

Denver Cap Room- $10 Million

Resign- Clady, Colquitt, Vickerson, Carter, Harris, Bruton

Cut- DJ, Gronkowski, Hester, Haine, Moreno

Let Walk- Porter, Willis, Leonhard, Bannan, Unrein, Ball

Retire- Stokely, Brooking

Free Agency- Austin Collie WR

Draft 2013
1. Barrett Jones C
2. Kevin Minter MLB
3. Le'Veon Bell RB
4. Denard RobinsonWR
5. Brandon Williams DT
7. Aaron Hester CB
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
g6matty

I think we will do more in free agency then one guy
Old 12-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6matty View Post
I think we will do more in free agency then one guy
There will be plenty of moves your right.

*Thats a move I would really like to see happen, I should have been more clear..

Last edited by Bmore Manning; 12-08-2012 at 11:06 AM..
Old 12-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
driver
Pro Bowler

Bronco Fan Extrordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post

Quote:
Carter?? Tony?? I'd let Bruton walk, Liked him coming out of ND but he can't make it as a starter,over Adams?
Quote:
Keep Hester and Moreno if they can keep contributing and stay healthy.
Quote:
Keep Unrein he doesn't make a lot of "splash" but he is a good DT.Retire- Stokely, Brooking

Quote:
Doubt he can pass the physical.
Quote:
Draft 2013
1. Barrett Jones C
2. Kevin Minter MLB
3. Le'Veon Bell RB
4. Denard RobinsonWR
5. Brandon Williams DT
7. Aaron Hester CB
Yes on Jones if he's there when we pick, I doubt he will be though. Picking at #32 sucks!
Minter will probably go in the 1st or very early in the 2nd IMO.

Bell ? I'd rather have Ball or Burkhead , "reach" for Ball in the second or move up for him in the 3rd if we can.

We do have an extra 4th and 6th rnd pick this year, and they will be fairly high thans to the Jets() No 7th though.

Something else we might think about, check on Lattimores surgury and see how he is progressing, if it looks good offer a free agent contract.

Last edited by driver; 12-08-2012 at 12:39 PM..
driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
Bmore Manning

@Driver- thanks for feedback..

Bruton kept on for his role on special teams, Carter will be starting next year, or at the least in a rotation with Adams.

Hester and Gronkowski are expendable with the plathora of tight ends on the roster, two of which can block fairly well. I keep Hester over Gronkowski if one stays..

If we draft a RB, the backfield will be too crowded, Moreno is the largest cap hit, so he is a prime cap casualty candidate.

Wolfe will be inside next year, Big Vick with him, my draft pick would be great in a rotation and I think we will sign another in FA, who's just better like a Branch or Dorsey. Unrein isn't talented and Bannan is getting older. Run stuffers are a dime a dozen. That's Wolfe, Vick, Draft pick, FA, and Malik Jackson is still around.. But that's a better youthful interior.

Collie is dynamic when he's healthy and because of his familiarity with Manning I would take that chance. And I think Robinson would be an explosive project receiver!

I think Jones lasts around to the end of the first.. Maybe not..
I followed the current CBS big board, Minter was projected at 70..

Lattimore will not go undrafted, someone will reach on he and Monte Ball..
Bell reminds me a lot of Jonathan Stewart! He's going to fall to three because of the plathora of FA running backs that will be available. Bell and Hillman as the change of pace back would be exciting!
Old 12-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
driver
Pro Bowler

Bronco Fan Extrordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

BMore:

So the Carter resign is for Q Carter? I thought he signed a 4 year rookie contract?

Hester is intriqueing to me he is a 2-way back FB/HB could prove useful in the future if the injury bug hits. Moreno is a servicable rb no world beater by any stretch. but usefull worth keeping I think. McGahee is on his last legs
with this latest injury. May not make the team IMO. Hillman I still don't know
if he has what it takes for the NFL. JJ is using up his ps elegibility and still can't make the roster. Ought to just cut him IMO. So we would only have 2 vet rb on the squad w/Hester & Moreno.( I'm assuming that Ball is gone)

Bruton can't make it as a starter only use is ST.
He scares me when he's in coverage, will always be a 3rd string SS.

Jones I love this guy A runnerup for the outland as a guard, won the outland as a tackle, now starting center for Bama. Man what a player ability and versatility, IMO he'll start climbing the draft boards may go before the 20th pick.

Our needs as follows;
MLB We would have to wreck our whole draft to get TEO so he's out as far as I'M concerned.

RB I really like Ball but not in the 1st possibly 2nd rnd if he's still there.
If we can't get Ball I'd settle for Eddie Lacey in the 3rd
Then I'd go after Burkhead later on .Really put some pressure on Moreno.

Then we need ;
WR I like Robinson to.
Safety McDonald from USC or Vacarro from Texas.
More quality depth for OL
and CB depth.
My thoughts and wish list, for what it's worth.

Minter is moving up the boards also may make it to the 1st rnd.

Last edited by driver; 12-08-2012 at 06:18 PM..
Old 12-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
Bmore Manning

Tony Carter...

I would rather not take up soo many roster spots with RBs, I like Hester's versatility too, but I would rather carry an extra receiver in Robinson who we know will be a project.

I really like Bell, it's not that I don't like Ball or Lattimore, but I think teams will reach on both, and I'd rather see a better approach.. Watch some YouTube of Bell..

Jones may be there he may not.. But I really like his skill set and how he would solidify the OLine.

Most certainly need to come away with a MLB.. I like Minter, Reddick, Jackson as options in rounds 2-3..Minter may be there he may not.. I see Te'o, Ogaltree, and Mosley going in the first early second. So Minter could be there at 64..

I like Aaron Hester late in the draft from UCLA. He reminds me of Browner from Seattle. He and Bolden are both physical press man corners as depth.

I'd rather see a safety hybrid like Cooper Taylor from Richmond or Kenny Tate from MD, then one of the early safeties.. Adams can back up Moore, and rotate with Carter. Taylor or Tate could fight for reps behind Carter. They remind me of Cam Chancelor in that oversized strong safety mold.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:56 AM   #8
driver
Pro Bowler

Bronco Fan Extrordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

I was wondering which Carter.
Don't get me wrong, I like Bell, Big, good speed (for his size) a hard nosed runner. a little suspect as a receiver though.

I love Montee Ball as a RB,he seems to have it all. Decent speed vision can stick a foot in the ground and change direction in the hole. Very dependable very few fumbles.Great production over his career at Wi. IMO the best RB since AP. You may be right someone will probably "reach" for him in the 1st. Then I'll start cursing and deriding the selection.

MLB, RB,and OL depth quality are the most crucial needs we have as a team IMO.
We may have a MLB on the team already (Steven Johnson) udfa from Kansas. Fox and Del RIo really liked him last summer.

We do need better depth at wr. The ladies who post on this board and over at DB.COM get all hot and steamy about E Decker, he isn't getting it done at the level we need IMO. Robinson might be the answer,Deep speed, good hands, running ability.
He does need work though.

TE from Stanford Ertz(?) I really like him. Our Gronk if we can get him.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
Bmore Manning

There's just such a large plathora of TEs already on the roster..

I think DT is still a need..
Old 12-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #10
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

FA's that should be brought in. Steven Jackson. Should replace Moreno and McGahee. If either of those guys want to restructure to stay and give us cap relief then they can stay. Brian Urlacher. No way this guy retires yet without a ring. Can Denver sale him on the hope of winning a SB with Manning? I think they can. Short term fix. Denver plays more of a 5-2 type D anyways. Keep Urlacher fresh is the key. I think we can do that.

As for the draft I haven't really looked at it that hard yet. I know I love Tavon Austin though. LB's I like are Greg Blair. He just stuck out to me as a guy that is in the right place at the right time. Good things happen then. I love Margus Hunt's freak abilities. I doubt he falls that far in the draft though in the third round.

Eric Martin from NU is under-rated and under sized but, is worth a late round pick or UDFA Guy flat out makes plays.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
FA's that should be brought in. Steven Jackson. Should replace Moreno and McGahee. If either of those guys want to restructure to stay and give us cap relief then they can stay. Brian Urlacher. No way this guy retires yet without a ring. Can Denver sale him on the hope of winning a SB with Manning? I think they can. Short term fix. Denver plays more of a 5-2 type D anyways. Keep Urlacher fresh is the key. I think we can do that.

As for the draft I haven't really looked at it that hard yet. I know I love Tavon Austin though. LB's I like are Greg Blair. He just stuck out to me as a guy that is in the right place at the right time. Good things happen then. I love Margus Hunt's freak abilities. I doubt he falls that far in the draft though in the third round.

Eric Martin from NU is under-rated and under sized but, is worth a late round pick or UDFA Guy flat out makes plays.
We deff agree on SJax.. I don't think John pursues him unfortunately and I don't see any way Chicago lets Urlacher leave. But I could agree with him being a prime target.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #12
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
We deff agree on SJax.. I don't think John pursues him unfortunately and I don't see any way Chicago lets Urlacher leave. But I could agree with him being a prime target.
Why would he want to stay with the Bears? The Bears view him as all but finished anyways and no way will he win a ring there. I see it like Zac Thomas when he left the Dolphins. I see Urlacher as a guy that has one or two years left and when you look at the teams close to being SB contenders that need a MLB Denver has to be tops of a short list for him. Bears would have to over pay the heck out of him to keep him there over a legit shot at winning a ring IMHO
Old 12-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #13
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Why would he want to stay with the Bears? The Bears view him as all but finished anyways and no way will he win a ring there. I see it like Zac Thomas when he left the Dolphins. I see Urlacher as a guy that has one or two years left and when you look at the teams close to being SB contenders that need a MLB Denver has to be tops of a short list for him. Bears would have to over pay the heck out of him to keep him there over a legit shot at winning a ring IMHO
I would love to have Urlacher finish his career with Manning! Ray Lewis and Bart Scott may be calling John at the end of the year to come get in this dynasty run!
Old 12-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #14
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
I would love to have Urlacher finish his career with Manning! Ray Lewis and Bart Scott may be calling John at the end of the year to come get in this dynasty run!
We will see how well we can sale a SB run. I wouldn't rule out Ed Reed or Urlacher though.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #15
Bmore Manning

Quote:
We will see how well we can sale a SB run. I wouldn't rule out Ed Reed or Urlacher though.
Ed Reed is probably not realistic, he's all about the money.. I know I live here..
He wants to be the highest paid safety- Ed "Show Me The Money" Reed!

Where does Moore play if such a move is made..SS..? I'd rather get a big physical safety to upgrade SS.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #16
g6matty

I have a thing about lsu players where i think they look great collectively but in the nfl they dont look as good when they have to be that guy. Lsu has a dominate front 4 helping minter. Convince me why he can stand out amongst nfl talent
Old 12-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #17
Bmore Manning

Quote:
I have a thing about lsu players where i think they look great collectively but in the nfl they dont look as good when they have to be that guy. Lsu has a dominate front 4 helping minter. Convince me why he can stand out amongst nfl talent
I look at strengths of players, their scheme and our scheme. If we ran a more traditional 4-3 I would prefer a Mosely or Ogaltree at MLB because of their athleticism. But we will run the hybrid front and in Nickel more often than not. With Von coming off the edge. And we have WW, DJ, and Trevathan who are three guys for 2 LB spots where we spend majority of our time in those formations. Don't get me wrong Mosely and Ogaltree would be great for their ability to cover, but Ogaltree especially concerns me with his play style, he over runs plays and gets washed out, and he struggles to shed blocks.

Minter's forte is playing downhill against the run, he needs work in coverage, but if most of his snaps are in base he will be sufficient in coverage from base. That's also why I like Reddick, he's rugged and solid in coverage, but he can play down hill against the run. Reddick may have more upside to be a quicker three down MLB. But Andrew Jackson is one of my favorites in that he is so aggressive against the run and getting down hill to attack.

I think you will see John draft a MLB between 2-4.. With it being Minter, Reddick, Jackson, even Bostic. Because in our scheme a MLB is subbed out in favor of coverage LB in the different packages. I wouldn't be opposed to Ogaltree or Mosely but there needs to be bigger DTs in front of them, otherwise I fear they are just on the field for coverage, when we have 3 LBs who currently do that.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #18
g6matty

Our run d is top 5 how much better can it get we struggle in pass defense in the middle of the feild especially against tight ends. We dont need a run stuffer
Old 12-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #19
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Our run d is top 5 how much better can it get we struggle in pass defense in the middle of the feild especially against tight ends. We dont need a run stuffer
I am not Minter's Agent nor do a sales pitch for him.. Just want to throw that out there. I trust the FO will make the appropriate additions.

I think being a top 5 run D is misleading. Teams who have stuck with the run Houston, KC, New England had success running the football. I think teams abandon the run verse us trying to play catch up...
We need to get more stout up front...
Old 12-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #20
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

So far from what I have seen I like Skov and Mosely as possible MLB starters
Not a fan of Ogletree at MLB at all

He is a converted safety I believe, and he plays LB like one

Not sure where Skov is projected to go,(2nd round maybe) but that guy is always around the ball when I have watched Stanford

I think Mosely is a bit more physical and he is a good blitzer
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #21
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
So far from what I have seen I like Skov and Mosely as possible MLB starters
Not a fan of Ogletree at MLB at all

He is a converted safety I believe, and he plays LB like one

Not sure where Skov is projected to go,(2nd round maybe) but that guy is always around the ball when I have watched Stanford

I think Mosely is a bit more physical and he is a good blitzer
Skov reminds me of a 3-4 LB or 4-3 SLB.. That doesn't mean he can't play in our scheme, but that's how I view him.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #22
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Retire- Stokely, Brooking

Draft 2013
1. Barrett Jones C
2. Kevin Minter MLB
3. Le'Veon Bell RB
4. Denard RobinsonWR
5. Brandon Williams DT
7. Aaron Hester CB

Thoughts:

1. Clady will definitely be resigned.

2. Chris Harris is not a free agent until 2015.

3. Colquitt, Ball, Carter, Siliga, Unrein are Restricted Free Agents, all should be back. I GREATLY expect Siliga to replace Bannan and Unrein to replace Vickerson, with a draft pick filling out depth.

4. Agree that Moreno is defnitely gone. 3.4m cap hit, which is a million more than McGahee. He's not going to restructure, he'll want to test Free Agency after finishing strong this year. In a crappy RB market, he'll get paid by someone.

5. I doubt Stokley retires. I think we'll draft a slot WR for him to train for a year at least. From all accounts, Stokley is enjoying himself and feels fine. He's not rich enough to retire early when he could re-up for another million next season. I definitely expect a slot WR in the first four rounds of the draft though.

6. They probably do let Willis go, but we've really invested a lot of money and time in his training over the last few years. Austin Collie would make sense as a replacement.

7. I don't think there is any chance Kevin Minter can be had in the late 2nd. One, he's too good and should go late 1st. Two, if he thinks he won't go Round 1 or maybe tip top of the 2nd, he won't declare for the draft. So, getting him in late round 2 seems like a 0% probability.

8. Don't understand Barrett Jones. Walton was playing well before he got hurt. Blake is his backup. At OG, we have two solid starters, though we do need depth better than Ramirez. That being said, Elway has said early draft picks need to be immediate impact players, so we're not drafting depth in Round 1. You could do Minter in Round 1 and take an OG in Round 2 such as Dallas Thomas or Larry Warford.

9. I don't think Le'Veon is realistic for us. I do think he'll come out, but the only way he falls to the 3rd round is if he runs a 4.65 40. And if he does that, Fox won't want him. He does like big backs as part of a platoon, but they have always been pretty fast from DeShaun Foster to Jonathan Stewart.

10. This is an insanely deep DT draft, but Brandon Williams will be long, long gone by the 5th Round. Some scouts have a 2nd Round grade on him, and there's not many 6'2, 325 lb men that can do what he does. In a weaker DT draft, he'd be a sleeper late 1st round pick.

11. Denard Robinson as a slot WR kind of makes some sense, but I think his future is more like Percy Harvin or Randall Cobb. Those two are moved all over the place and do some of their best work outside. I'm not sure Manning wants that type of player, I think he wants a traditional slot guy working the seam. Not sure that's ever going to be Denard. And I think we'll want a more immediate impact slot guy than Robinson, his training and development would probably take 3-4 years ala Julian Edelman.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #23
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Larry Warford ^ is the only OG I have read up about so far in the up coming draft and that is only because one of the sites had us projected to pick him. He is a large guy, I really don't remember the last time Denver had a OG that big. I read that he didn't allow a sack all year in the SEC which is very impressive.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #24
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
Thoughts:

1. Clady will definitely be resigned.

2. Chris Harris is not a free agent until 2015.

3. Colquitt, Ball, Carter, Siliga, Unrein are Restricted Free Agents, all should be back. I GREATLY expect Siliga to replace Bannan and Unrein to replace Vickerson, with a draft pick filling out depth.

4. Agree that Moreno is defnitely gone. 3.4m cap hit, which is a million more than McGahee. He's not going to restructure, he'll want to test Free Agency after finishing strong this year. In a crappy RB market, he'll get paid by someone.

5. I doubt Stokley retires. I think we'll draft a slot WR for him to train for a year at least. From all accounts, Stokley is enjoying himself and feels fine. He's not rich enough to retire early when he could re-up for another million next season. I definitely expect a slot WR in the first four rounds of the draft though.

6. They probably do let Willis go, but we've really invested a lot of money and time in his training over the last few years. Austin Collie would make sense as a replacement.

7. I don't think there is any chance Kevin Minter can be had in the late 2nd. One, he's too good and should go late 1st. Two, if he thinks he won't go Round 1 or maybe tip top of the 2nd, he won't declare for the draft. So, getting him in late round 2 seems like a 0% probability.

8. Don't understand Barrett Jones. Walton was playing well before he got hurt. Blake is his backup. At OG, we have two solid starters, though we do need depth better than Ramirez. That being said, Elway has said early draft picks need to be immediate impact players, so we're not drafting depth in Round 1. You could do Minter in Round 1 and take an OG in Round 2 such as Dallas Thomas or Larry Warford.

9. I don't think Le'Veon is realistic for us. I do think he'll come out, but the only way he falls to the 3rd round is if he runs a 4.65 40. And if he does that, Fox won't want him. He does like big backs as part of a platoon, but they have always been pretty fast from DeShaun Foster to Jonathan Stewart.

10. This is an insanely deep DT draft, but Brandon Williams will be long, long gone by the 5th Round. Some scouts have a 2nd Round grade on him, and there's not many 6'2, 325 lb men that can do what he does. In a weaker DT draft, he'd be a sleeper late 1st round pick.

11. Denard Robinson as a slot WR kind of makes some sense, but I think his future is more like Percy Harvin or Randall Cobb. Those two are moved all over the place and do some of their best work outside. I'm not sure Manning wants that type of player, I think he wants a traditional slot guy working the seam. Not sure that's ever going to be Denard. And I think we'll want a more immediate impact slot guy than Robinson, his training and development would probably take 3-4 years ala Julian Edelman.
1. I didn't mean to put Harris up there.
2. Unrein taking the spot of Vickerson..? Have you watched the play of Vickerson? I cannot fathom why you would want Unrein to take his spot.
3. As far as the draft is concerned, I used the current CBS big board, it projects all the players in the rounds I selected them. Sure they could go earlier, but there's a reason I titled this 1.0.. It's the first of these using the current big board. Jones would start at C, at G, even tackle.. He would upgrade Beadles, Walton, and the often injured Kuper.

Thank you for the feedback and constructive criticism.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #25
Bmore Manning

Quote:
If you like Ogaltree, you should love Arthur Brown.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: