The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Default Broncos Game Notes: Bucs

1. Knowshon and Hillman ran through every hole that the OL made...and ran hard. Knowshon picked up a crucial 3rd and 1, at the end of the game, by creating his own hole and running directly through the line. I am excited about these guys. They looked great in the 3rd and 4th quarter.

2. McCoy makes some run play calls that literally have no chance to succeed. Pretty easy to tell it's a run, when Manning beckons the TE in towards the OL.

3. Zane Beadles had two drive-killing holding calls. Beadles, Clady, Koppen, and Kuper all missed blocks at various times, causing TFL's or stops at the line. These guys can do it, if they focus and eliminate mistakes.

4. After Von was injured late in the game, it's surprising how easy the Bucs scored on the Broncos. Normally, it would be tee-off time for the Defense. Not so, if Miller isn't getting freaky with the pass rush.

5. Dumervil had great pressure all day. Wolfe had great inside push, and Unrein made some critical plays. Still would like to see more pass rush to close out the game.

6. Champ shut down Vincent Jackson...where are all the guys calling for him to move to Safety after two straight stellar weeks?

7. Bolden got lit up, and Tony Carter wasn't as sticky as normal during the game's final few minutes. Wouldn't now be a great time to start working Porter back into some Nickel situations?

7. DJ (from MLB) sprinted to the edge and forced Martin inside early. He had a couple big hits, and is not easily blocked. DJ is playing better every game...but didn't play at all past the middle of the 3rd quarter.

8. Trevathan started playing after DJ went out, and finished the game well, with great coverage on Dallas Clark throughout the 4th quarter.

9. Brooking cannot get off blocks, but stayed in anyway. He should not have such a focal role. Woodyard makes some great plays, and gets washed out on others. With both Brooking and Woodyard in, we got pwned against the run.

10. DT is awesome. Tamme finally showing his capability. Decker and Dreessen are beginning to realize the consequences of dropping balls every game, by getting less targets.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2012, 02:53 AM   #2
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Does Decker drop the ball more than the other receivers? It doesn't seem like he does.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:17 AM   #3
Punisher
The Horsemen Are coming

For You WOOOOOOOOOO!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

You forgot knowshon losing his shoe and triping over himself. Oh wait he does that every game
Punisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:38 AM   #4
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
1. Knowshon and Hillman ran through every hole that the OL made...and ran hard. Knowshon picked up a crucial 3rd and 1, at the end of the game, by creating his own hole and running directly through the line. I am excited about these guys. They looked great in the 3rd and 4th quarter.

2. McCoy makes some run play calls that literally have no chance to succeed. Pretty easy to tell it's a run, when Manning beckons the TE in towards the OL.

3. Zane Beadles had two drive-killing holding calls. Beadles, Clady, Koppen, and Kuper all missed blocks at various times, causing TFL's or stops at the line. These guys can do it, if they focus and eliminate mistakes.

4. After Von was injured late in the game, it's surprising how easy the Bucs scored on the Broncos. Normally, it would be tee-off time for the Defense. Not so, if Miller isn't getting freaky with the pass rush.

5. Dumervil had great pressure all day. Wolfe had great inside push, and Unrein made some critical plays. Still would like to see more pass rush to close out the game.

6. Champ shut down Vincent Jackson...where are all the guys calling for him to move to Safety after two straight stellar weeks?

7. Bolden got lit up, and Tony Carter wasn't as sticky as normal during the game's final few minutes. Wouldn't now be a great time to start working Porter back into some Nickel situations?

7. DJ (from MLB) sprinted to the edge and forced Martin inside early. He had a couple big hits, and is not easily blocked. DJ is playing better every game...but didn't play at all past the middle of the 3rd quarter.

8. Trevathan started playing after DJ went out, and finished the game well, with great coverage on Dallas Clark throughout the 4th quarter.

9. Brooking cannot get off blocks, but stayed in anyway. He should not have such a focal role. Woodyard makes some great plays, and gets washed out on others. With both Brooking and Woodyard in, we got pwned against the run.

10. DT is awesome. Tamme finally showing his capability. Decker and Dreessen are beginning to realize the consequences of dropping balls every game, by getting less targets.
Completely agree with 2 & 4, but honestly, Moreno has no moves. None. Remember the days when Terrell Davis would just slide away from tacklers. In contrast, Moreno runs into the assigned hole. If there is a hole, he gains yards, and yes, fights for every inch. If not, he just runs into the tacklers.

Hillman has shown flashes here and there, but he hasn't dazzled anyone.

#3 baffles me a little. Sure, O linemen miss blacks from time to time, but this unit has been nothing short of fabulous in protecting Manning, and the run blocking with McGahee in the line-up was good. Not great, but good. I don't understand the nit-picking. If a d lineman gets through, I would bet these guys are coached to grab on regardless of the possible penalty. A ten yard loss is better than a full-speed hit on Manning.

All the b****ing about drafting Wolfe where we did shows how little we really know about these draft choices. Wolfe is still learning, and yet has managed to produce the first consistent inside push I can remember since Rubin Carter. Yeah, Jumpy Geathers briefly terrorized QB's from the inside but that was situational and only one year. Wolfe has star potential.

I completely disagree on Brooking. The guy is ancient by football standards and yet seems to always find his way to the ball. Unbelievable instincts. I love this guy.

Can't argue with #2. There were times Sunday I thought the Broncos were consulting with Dan Reeves by phone for their play-calling. Run plays on third and long seem fruitless and a waste, and the TE motion plays do seem to signal a running play every time. I assume the Broncos will adjust.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:57 AM   #5
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
Does Decker drop the ball more than the other receivers? It doesn't seem like he does.
Denver as a team is in the top five in the league in dropped balls. Tamme and Dreesen drop alot as well.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:39 AM   #6
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango View Post
Completely agree with 2 & 4, but honestly, Moreno has no moves. None. Remember the days when Terrell Davis would just slide away from tacklers. In contrast, Moreno runs into the assigned hole. If there is a hole, he gains yards, and yes, fights for every inch. If not, he just runs into the tacklers.

You just can't compare the running games from the Shanhan era. Our guys back then were taking on LBers and safeties because the Dline was on the ground. Or they were running free on the cutback. You need some open space to make "moves." The reason Moreno looks good in the pass game is because he is in space. Our run game doesn't make much space.

Also, not many backs in history could cut like TD. Moreno ain't going to do it like him, but he can make guys miss if he isn't already trying to shrug off dlineman.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

One big issue with KM is all you have to do is just nick his legs and he goes down. He has really bad balance and that costs him lots of yards. How many time do we see him running with nothing but open field ahead of him only to see a tackler nick his feet from behind and he goes crashing down like a sack of potatoes.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #8
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Yesterday he wasn't targeted much, but I'll tell you as a Decker fantasy owner AND as a fan of the team that he drops more than he ****ing should. Throws that hit him right in the damn chest, he drops.

Drives me nuts. And I think the reason he hasn't gotten many targets is because of his drops in big situations.

I noticed in practice his rookie year that he dropped a lot of balls in drills and hoped it would be a fixable thing.

Ultimately, I think we'll end up targeting a receiver in the 2nd or 3rd round this year.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #9
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Completely agree with 2 & 4, but honestly, Moreno has no moves. None. .
I don't know about that he has the stop completely and stiff arm move while just standing in place.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #10
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:

It's easy to be down on Moreno, but the guy fights for yards. He's not a great runner, and would be better if he was more fluid and could cut-back...but he doesn't. Neither Moreno, nor Hillman are 'special', but they are good enough to get the job done. I can't complain about their effort.

Quote:
#3 baffles me a little. Sure, O linemen miss blacks from time to time, but this unit has been nothing short of fabulous in protecting Manning, and the run blocking with McGahee in the line-up was good. Not great, but good. I don't understand the nit-picking. If a d lineman gets through, I would bet these guys are coached to grab on regardless of the possible penalty. A ten yard loss is better than a full-speed hit on Manning.
I'm not worried about the OL pass-blocking at all. The Broncos are top 5 in sacks given up. Also, not nit picking about run blocking. They opened up some great holes throughout the game. The OL's run-blocking problems CAN be solved...if they eliminate their mistakes, and get more practice running the ball. Although Beadles had a pretty bad game.

Quote:
All the b****ing about drafting Wolfe where we did shows how little we really know about these draft choices. Wolfe is still learning, and yet has managed to produce the first consistent inside push I can remember since Rubin Carter. Yeah, Jumpy Geathers briefly terrorized QB's from the inside but that was situational and only one year. Wolfe has star potential.
Wolfe is right there man. He made some plays early in the year, and affected a lot of plays. Now, he is getting consistent pressure from the interior, and should have more sacks if not for a Dumervil penalty and Miller being there a split-second before him a few times. Hopefully he continues to progress.

Quote:
I completely disagree on Brooking. The guy is ancient by football standards and yet seems to always find his way to the ball. Unbelievable instincts. I love this guy.
I like Brooking, because he's a Bronco, but I think he and DJ should switch roles. Every big run you see, Brooking is being completely blocked out of the play. As time goes on, I think you will see a switch.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #11
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Bolden was only playing because they took out Champ at the end due to the blowout. In other words, we were taking it easy on them.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #12
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

I forgot Porter was still even on the team
Count me in the group that thinks this is going beyond the whole "waiting for his meds to kick in" excuse

Glad to see Wolfe doing well
I still don't know if the long term plan for him is to bulk up and stick at DT, or to be a tweener
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #13
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
He's dropped 11, tied for most in the league. Demaryius has dropped 10, but he's been thrown at 15 times more (101 to 86) than Decker.

Tamme has only dropped 1 pass, and he's been thrown to 70 times.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #14
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

I'd like to figure out what's happened to prater. He started off rock solid, then after those couple of misses, it looks like he's lost his confidence or something. I know we haven't needed his clutchness recently, but come playoff time, I'd like to know that he's back to draining 40 + yarders in his sleep.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #15
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I dont see where there's room for Porter. Bolden is a pretty good special teamer, so until Porter can do that, he's probably staying on the bench
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #16
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs McGee View Post
I'd like to figure out what's happened to prater. He started off rock solid, then after those couple of misses, it looks like he's lost his confidence or something. I know we haven't needed his clutchness recently, but come playoff time, I'd like to know that he's back to draining 40 + yarders in his sleep.
He's never been great at 40-49 yards. What I suggest is this Thurday night Denver kneel down around the 30 4 or 5 times in the game to let Prater practice field goals
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #17
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs McGee View Post
Prater has the yipps now. He scares me now when he is kicking a FG. I personally think he has too much curve on his kicks to be consistent all the time.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #18
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Bolden was only playing because they took out Champ at the end due to the blowout. In other words, we were taking it easy on them.
Or maybe we are resting older players because of the short week.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #19
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
He's never been great at 40-49 yards. What I suggest is this Thurday night Denver kneel down around the 30 4 or 5 times in the game to let Prater practice field goals
Very true, he's only hit half of his attempts in that yardage. Maybe we should just take a quick delay of game or two to get him out into the 50's? Very strange that he can be SO good from way out, but struggle with the 40's.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #20
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Bolden has been pretty disapointing.

He's looked very poor in coverage any time he's been on the field and really looks like he hasn't adjusted to the speed of the game at all.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #21
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post

He's looked very poor in coverage any time he's been on the field and really looks like he hasn't adjusted to the speed of the game at all.
Was he the pick we got for Tebow.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #22
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

Cept he seems to be killin it on ST
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #23
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Is McCoy making that call? Or PM? Manning moving the TE suggests the latter is very possible.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #24
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:

Bolden is too slow (4.51 forty) and doesn't have the tenacity of a guy like Chris Harris, who makes up for his lack of elite speed with great instincts and fierce determination.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #25
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Is McCoy making that call? Or PM? Manning moving the TE suggests the latter is very possible.
They were exclusive statements. Many of McCoy's run play-calls are telegraphed. For example, when they bunch 7 players (5 OL, 2 TE's) on the line...but I guess it's kinda hard to hide, when you're running in a posse formation 90% of the time.

Manning definitely needs to rethink motioning the TE only for run plays. Running play-action 50% of the time after motioning in the TE would probably solve the problem, and keep the Defense guessing...but it may limit the TE's route tree in a play-action pass play.

It's a tough one to solve. I don't remember seeing him do that with Indy.