The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #26
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,598
Default

I don't see the Patriots going on a 10-0 streak streak and beating the Broncos in the playoffs. They aren't that good.

It's the 4th quarter of the season, and the Broncos are playing for a first-round bye, and possibly home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

That should be enough to get them up for the Raiders game.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #27
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel
 
Doggcow's Avatar
 
http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,982

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Read the first 15 pages of the game thread, I promise you'd think we're winless.
I posted on the first page that I thought we'd win easily (As we did).

People are ridiculous to think we'd lose at home to Tampa Bay lol.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:56 AM   #28
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
Without looking, I'd say in the 80-90 range. Unfortunately, I think those probably came almost exclusively on about 7 runs. It looked like his options were either 1 or less or 7+. I'd much rather the dependable 4-6 yards on every rush.
offically, he had 20 carries for 69 yards but 5 non-garbage time drives he had 15 carries for 65 yards (4.33 ypc)

Denver Drive #1 (runs only):
K.Moreno right tackle to TB 47 for -1 yards (1st down)
K.Moreno left guard to TB 23 for 2 yards (2nd down)
K.Moreno left tackle to TB 1 for 12 yards (2nd down)

Denver Drive #2
K.Moreno up the middle to DEN 14 for 4 yards (1st down)

Denver Drive #3
K.Moreno left tackle to DEN 28 for 9 yards (1st down)
K.Moreno up the middle to DEN 25 for -3 yards (2nd and 1...No shot on this play, was blown up from the start)
K.Moreno up the middle to DEN 25 for no gain (quick snap to get too many people on field play)
(Shotgun) K.Moreno left guard to TB 34 for 6 yards (1st down)

Denver Drive #4
K.Moreno left tackle to DEN 29 for 16 yards (2nd down)

Denver Drive #5
K.Moreno right tackle to DEN 29 for no gain (2nd and 1 negated for Holding on Beadles)

Denver Drive #6
(No Runs)

Denver Drive #7
K.Moreno left end to TB 10 for -1 yards (1st and goal from 9)

Denver Drive #8
1 play, Manning intercepted

Denver drive #9
K.Moreno right guard to DEN 34 for no gain (1st down)
K.Moreno up the middle to TB 49 for 5 yards (1st down)
K.Moreno left guard to TB 16 for 6 yards (2nd down)
K.Moreno up the middle to TB 12 for 4 yards (1st down)

Denver Drive #10
K.Moreno right tackle to TB 35 for no gain (1st down)
K.Moreno right tackle to TB 29 for 6 yards (2nd down)

Drives 11 and 12 were garbage time and TB knew we were running the ball to kill clock based on our single wide 2 TE heavy formation.

He had 15 meaningful runs for 65 yards. Of those, 8 were stuffs, 7 were good gains. Of the stuffs, one was negated for holding, 1 was blown up from the start.

He had 3 runs at or very near double digits in length. He had 4 no gains (1 of which was the quick snap to get the defense with too many men, another was negated by the holding).

He had 3 negative gains. I only remember one of them where Moreno had absolutely no shot at the start, I dont remember how the other two were. He had one 2 yard gain.

He had 7 runs where he picked up 4+ yards. One of those runs was on a 1st and 20 and was 4 yards so that is relative.

So there, you guys have the stats right in front of you, make your own conclusions.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:19 AM   #29
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Alright...then I guess we should be able to light up the Raiders on the ground. We need to get this running game rolling these next couple weeks. The Broncos have to get to the point where they know they can pick up a first down on the ground if they need it. They aren't there yet.
That isn't going to happen with this Bronco team.

Koppen is doing a damn fine job given the circumstances, but he doesn't have the size or the power at this point in his career to be a big gap opener at C. Kuper is clearly not 100% healthy and there is no reason to think he suddenly will be again this season. Beadles is somewhat inconsistent and seems to do his best work when he gets to pull. None of these guys are a good fit for blasting a hole that a back can reliably take for a first down in obvious rush situations.

Unless Moreno finds what made him so great at Georgia and gets all of that elusiveness back but now coupled with a more down field style and greater size we're going to struggle on obvious running downs, especially up the middle.

We win with the pass now. Running the ball is to set up the pass and keep the clock moving. Manning throwing the ball is how we actually rack up yardage. If we need a reliable 3rd and short option we'd be better served keeping the ball in Manning's hands and looking to Moreno out on the flats with screen passes. That is a safe 3 yards Moreno gives us with potential to really break one.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:44 AM   #30
CEH
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,171
Default

Did anything count the number of times a 2nd and 1 became 2nd and 11 or 3rd and 4. Either by penalty or more concerning the A gap on teh right side was completely getting blown up. It was not pretty

Also one run Knowshown actaully stop his run to the right. Never in my 15 years at Mile High have a ever seen a RB completely stop

Moreno did not grab the one 3rd and 1 he had to do. He had a 3rd and 4 where he fell down and Manning threw the ball to him.

Most of Moreno's 3 yard screen passes came on first or 2nd down

Willis is not coming back anytime soon but he runs with a style that manning needs to keep the chains rolling.
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:47 AM   #31
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,440

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Willis is not coming back anytime soon but he runs with a style that manning needs to keep the chains rolling.
Didn't we completely disprove this last week in the full analysis of 3rd down running between Moreno and McGahee?
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #32
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,201

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Read the first 15 pages of the game thread, I promise you'd think we're winless.

That is why I stopped reading or posting in the Game thread weeks ago.

The Gameday thread used to have some good observations and comments but now it's full of drama queens. Better to just watch the game and endure the commercials.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #33
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
That isn't going to happen with this Bronco team.

Koppen is doing a damn fine job given the circumstances, but he doesn't have the size or the power at this point in his career to be a big gap opener at C. Kuper is clearly not 100% healthy and there is no reason to think he suddenly will be again this season. Beadles is somewhat inconsistent and seems to do his best work when he gets to pull. None of these guys are a good fit for blasting a hole that a back can reliably take for a first down in obvious rush situations.

Unless Moreno finds what made him so great at Georgia and gets all of that elusiveness back but now coupled with a more down field style and greater size we're going to struggle on obvious running downs, especially up the middle.

We win with the pass now. Running the ball is to set up the pass and keep the clock moving. Manning throwing the ball is how we actually rack up yardage. If we need a reliable 3rd and short option we'd be better served keeping the ball in Manning's hands and looking to Moreno out on the flats with screen passes. That is a safe 3 yards Moreno gives us with potential to really break one.
I agree that the OL isn't great at runblocking. They need to continue to do whatever they can to take the pressure off Manning. That includes figuring out how to consistently run the ball while McGahee is down.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:50 AM   #34
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Everything

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,873

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Denver is 9th in points per game on defense and 3rd in points per game on offense. When you consider the defense has scored a few touchdowns this year, that skews the stats and also makes a statement about what kind of defense we've had.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #35
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,331
Default

Hate to "complain" after a win and during a 7 game winning streak, but here are my biggest concerns with this team right now:
1) slow, sloppy starts (can't start this way against elite teams)
2) Matt Prater (how comfortable would you be with him in a big spot?)
3) run blocking (self explanatory)
4) New England Patriots (don't want to play them)

Last edited by TonyR; 12-03-2012 at 08:14 AM..
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #36
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,201

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Hate to "complain" after a win and during a 7 game winning streak, but here are my biggest concerns with this team right now:
1) slow, sloppy starts (can't start this way against elite teams)
2) Matt Prater (how comfortable would you be with him in a big spot?)
3) run blocking

1. This appears to be getting much better as the season goes on, remember it used to be the whole first half.

2.Matt is in a slump, he'll come out of it soon IMO.

3. Yup.

4. I think Manning/ McCoy will come up with something on O but still no answer for NE's TE's, gotta figure that one out.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #37
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
1. This appears to be getting much better as the season goes on, remember it used to be the whole first half.
Well, we were trailing at half time yesterday. And I should add:

5) Conservative play calling, particularly when "protecting a lead" (this allowed TB to get back into the game yesterday)
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #38
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,201

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Well, we were trailing at half time yesterday. And I should add:

5) Conservative play calling, particularly when "protecting a lead" (this allowed TB to get back into the game yesterday)
Agree 100% with #5, like Manning says, you gotta go for the throat when you get a team down.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #39
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,201

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Well, we were trailing at half time yesterday. And I should add:

5) Conservative play calling, particularly when "protecting a lead" (this allowed TB to get back into the game yesterday)
We are not going to win every game in the first half. Tampa Bay is a good team and they played us well that first. What I really like is our ability to adjust in the second half of games.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #40
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
4. I think Manning/ McCoy will come up with something on O but still no answer for NE's TE's, gotta figure that one out.
The margin for error in run blocking is extremely low with the single-back set. The Colts in 2006 were 18th in attempts, 18th in yardage and had 4.0 ypc...yet were effective. Top 12 in rushing is a pipe dream now (with Willis out).

The good thing about the last part of the season, is the Broncos can work on the run game, as much as they want too. I think, as long as they stick to what they've been doing, Knowshon and Hillman can become as effective as they need to be.

Raiders, Ravens, and Chiefs all have bottom third run Defenses.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #41
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
We are not going to win every game in the first half. Tampa Bay is a good team and they played us well that first. What I really like is our ability to adjust in the second half of games.
Agree. But my concern is that if you have a slow, sloppy start against an elite team you might dig yourself a hole you can't get out of. It's one and done in the playoffs. Need to clean things up.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #42
Stan
Just Drafted
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 28
Default

I love how the defense has developed under JDR but to really see it at its best we need to get up on some of these teams earlier. Against NE, Houston and Atlanta that would have been huge instead of playing from behind like we were. It is frustrating to watch at times how good the offense can be and yet at other times they just don't seem to be clicking.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #43
CEH
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Well, we were trailing at half time yesterday. And I should add:

5) Conservative play calling, particularly when "protecting a lead" (this allowed TB to get back into the game yesterday)
So if Prater makes his FG that's 3 points. If Moore catches that wonded duck he camped under and total blew that's 3 point.

Either one makes this a 2 possesion game at the 2 min warning

Two goats for sure IMO
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #44
mwill07
Ring of Famer
 
mwill07's Avatar
 
Lurker Extraordinaire

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,997

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM
Default

A few other potent potables:

We have now faced 3 of the top 5 RB's in the league: Martin, Foster, and Charles. Despite that, we are #7 in rushing yards allowed, and more importantly, #2 in YPC.

We have faced 4 of the top 7 QB's in the league: Palmer, Brees, Ryan and Brady. Despite that, we are the #6 pass D in yards allowed, and more importantly #4 in YPA.

We have allowed 3 out of 12 opponents to run for more than 100 yards. We have not allowed a single 300 yard passing game, and only twice have opponents passed for more than 250.

we are scoring an average of 29 points/game, and allowing an average of 20. To flesh this out a bit more, we have scored less than 25 in 3 out of 12 games, and allowed more than 25 in three out of 12 games.

If you look at games since the bye week, we have not allowed any opponent to score more than 23, and that includes some garbage time TD's. conversely, we have scored less than 30 exactly once. Average margin of victory is 12 points.

Yeah, we are rollin'.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #45
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo
 
55CrushEm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 6,213

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
I don't see the Patriots going on a 10-0 streak streak and beating the Broncos in the playoffs. They aren't that good.

It's the 4th quarter of the season, and the Broncos are playing for a first-round bye, and possibly home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

That should be enough to get them up for the Raiders game.
While we still have a great shot at the #2 seed......there is no way in hell we get the #1 seed. We are 2 back of Houston, and they hold the head-to-head over us. So basically, we have to OUTWIN Houston by 3 games with 4 to go.

Nah, I don't see that happening.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #46
CEH
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,171
Default

I like where is team is. There are issues but not holes that would keep them from beating any team if they are on their game


Prater has always had issues between 40-49 a tleast his percentages is not up to top league standards. Need to step it up

Decker looks to be the lost soul out there. Not sure if the league has found out something or Manning knows DT will catch the ball but Decker has regressed the last 4 weeks. Needs to step it up.

19 games in a row they have had a turnover. That would be an issue that could be a problem. Need to stop this

Running the ball is not all that do or die in today's NFL when you have a HOF QB. Sure it can be better but the passing game will lead this team. It is what it is.
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #47
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
While we still have a great shot at the #2 seed......there is no way in hell we get the #1 seed. We are 2 back of Houston, and they hold the head-to-head over us. So basically, we have to OUTWIN Houston by 3 games with 4 to go.

Nah, I don't see that happening.
If the Broncos are the #2 seed and win in the 2nd round, and Houston loses in the 2nd round...the Broncos have home-field advantage throughout the playoffs.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #48
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,440

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Matt Prater (how comfortable would you be with him in a big spot?)
Did you miss all of last season?

Over his entire career so far, Matt Prater is statistically the best 4th quarter and OT clutch kicker in NFL history. He's the least of my worries in big spots.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #49
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo
 
55CrushEm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 6,213

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
If the Broncos are the #2 seed and win in the 2nd round, and Houston loses in the 2nd round...the Broncos have home-field advantage throughout the playoffs.
Yes, I get that. My point was there's little chance that we lock up homefield BEFORE the playoffs start....i.e. we won't get the #1 seed.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #50
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
Yes, I get that. My point was there's little chance that we lock up homefield BEFORE the playoffs start....i.e. we won't get the #1 seed.
Yeah, I know that. But if we handle business the remaining 4 games then we might get the #2 seed...I don't see the Patriots winning them all.

That would put the Ravens in Denver during the divisional playoff game, and the Patriots in Houston.

If we don't win out, then we'll likely play at Houston in round 2 (if we make it that far).

These next couple weeks are pretty sweet, to see how the seeding goes. Of course, neither the Browns, nor KC will be easy either.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:30 AM.


Denver Broncos