The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #1801
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

DB....do you want Bo fired?

Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #1802
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

In addition to the 2 bowl games and 1 ACCCG that have already been self-imposed, Miami will announce self-impositon of about 5 scholarships for the 2013 class. This will be done pretty soon, like shortly after receipt of the NOA, which is expected in December.

Go Canes!
Old 12-02-2012, 04:46 AM   #1803
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
DB....do you want Bo fired?
Sometimes I really do. I guess I was really against the hire in the first place so that doesn't help. He clearly has proven me wrong at times though. His stats since he was hired in 2008 say he is one of the best coaches since then. NU sure doesn't have that feeling of being a "good" team. Yes NU is winning 9 plus games but, when the games matter we get blown out.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #1804
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Someday we will be as good as CU, till then we will have to settle for bowl games and seasons with more then 1 win.
boohoo
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #1805
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Hermansen Fan View Post
What is it going to take for Nebraska to can Pelini's ass? His offense doesn't cut it in today's college football world.
? Their offense hasn't been the problem this year. Taylor occasionally has games with a couple bad INTs, but he's also almost solely responsible for half their wins this year. They should be dangerous again on offense next year, with a senior QB, and a deep group of RBs. The zone read offense they run along with a large group of other looks is actually pretty up to date with the rest of college ball.

What is dispiriting is how spectacular the defense was under him his first two years, and how the last two years have seen it fall off a cliff. Which would point obviously to a dip in talent.

What does it take for him to get fired? I think fans are increasingly realistic about Nebraska's place in college football. They aren't Florida or Ohio St; they won't compete for national titles year in and year out, will have a recruiting disadvantage. But in the Big Ten they should still compete to go to the Rose Bowl every few years. And Bo has basically kept them at that level.

The big strike is a game like this or the Ohio St one earlier, where they get leveled by any half-decent offense. I remember when he was first hired and they were not winning every game, but hanging with teams that had blown them out previous years, thinking "at least there won't be embarrassing 40+ point losses with this guy in charge of the D." And that just isn't true anymore.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #1806
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

NC State hires Dave Doeren as HC (NIU).

USF cans Skip Holtz.

Go Canes!
Old 12-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #1807
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:

USF cans Skip Holtz.
I like this move SoCal, what do you think?
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #1808
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
I like this move SoCal, what do you think?
I don't know much about him. Obviously, NIU had a great year, but I think Kill built that program. I thought you guys were going to get someone a little more high profile, but he could turn out to be good.

Go Canes!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #1809
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

What absolute Bullshyt to put Northern Illinois into a BCS game instead of Oklahoma

They have to play Florida St it's going to be a blowout and noone will watch

Dumbasses
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #1810
Kid A
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
What absolute Bullshyt to put Northern Illinois into a BCS game instead of Oklahoma

They have to play Florida St it's going to be a blowout and noone will watch

Dumbasses
Maybe don't lose two home games and instead win your conference next time?

If people don't want the NIUs taking up precious BCS bids, but also understand they can't completely ignore undefeated or 1-loss champions from mid majors because that would ruin the facade of everyone having a shot, maybe just maybe have a format where you, say, match up the top 16 teams in a bracket format so only after proving themselves can a team place in a big money making game like the Orange bowl?
Old 12-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #1811
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
Maybe don't lose two home games and instead win your conference next time?

If people don't want the NIUs taking up precious BCS bids, but also understand they can't completely ignore undefeated or 1-loss champions from mid majors because that would ruin the facade of everyone having a shot, maybe just maybe have a format where you, say, match up the top 16 teams in a bracket format so only after proving themselves can a team place in a big money making game like the Orange bowl?
Are you serious they're major wins are Kansas, Rutgers and Kent st.....

And yes there should be a playoff system with the top16 IMO but NIU shouldn't even be in the conversation
Old 12-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #1812
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

The University of Oklahoma and Texas A&M University have both accepted invitations to play in the AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic on Jan. 4 at 7 p.m. CT at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #1813
Bruce Hermansen Fan

This is why the old bowl system we had in 1990 was still 10X better than the BCS system. The games across the board were more intriguing and just simply better.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #1814
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Oregon and Kansas st should be a very good game
Old 12-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #1815
Bruce Hermansen Fan

**** college football. It gets worse every year. They sold the rivalries for $. Most of the teams are scared to play anybody outside of conference play. And now we have perhaps the least exciting slate of New Years Day bowl games I can remember. Sure Alabama vs. Notre Dame will be fun, but we would have had that matchup under the old system anyway.

NFL is a far superior product and that's why this year I feel like I didn't miss out on much despite watching the least amount of college football in at least 10 years.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #1816
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If NIU gets demolished in that game, it'll set the whole argument in favor of the smaller schools back. They're going to the playoffs next year, right? Might this be a setting for the "You guys can't hang with the big boys" retort for those schools that get snubbed?
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #1817
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Hermansen Fan View Post
**** college football. It gets worse every year. They sold the rivalries for $. Most of the teams are scared to play anybody outside of conference play. And now we have perhaps the least exciting slate of New Years Day bowl games I can remember. Sure Alabama vs. Notre Dame will be fun, but we would have had that matchup under the old system anyway.

NFL is a far superior product and that's why this year I feel like I didn't miss out on much despite watching the least amount of college football in at least 10 years.
For quite some time, I've wondered if there should be a system like in English soccer. The top 25 at the end of the year schedule against the other top 25 schools for half their schedule or something in the next season. They could still have half their schedule for cupcakes or conference games but it'd really help get matchups that would draw good TV ratings while also letting the teams truly slot themselves and take away the speculation.

The only major issue is that non-top 25 teams wouldn't be able to go too high in their first year but I don't think having two good seasons in succession should be too much to ask of a team that wants to be in contention for a national championship.

Right now there's just too much speculation necessary.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #1818
Kid A
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Are you serious they're major wins are Kansas, Rutgers and Kent st.....

And yes there should be a playoff system with the top16 IMO but NIU shouldn't even be in the conversation
Well it was similar arguments against Boise the years they made it. On the eye test, I agree, NIU hasn't had the kind of resume that deserves the Orange Bowl. But the system is what it is, and I still don't have huge sympathy for 2 loss teams saying they deserve a BCS bid. There are plenty of other unfair thing currently built in as well—see Georgia being 1 play from the national championship, instead knocked out of the BCS in favor of a Florida team that didn't even qualify for the SEC Championship.

Agree with Bruce Fan that college football is more and more alienating me. The realignment, the scandals, the dynamics that push programs to worry about $/qualifying for bowl instead of creating interesting matchups...it's a huge mess. A mess nobody involved has much interest in fixing up, because they just make more and more money themselves every season.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #1819
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
I don't know much about him. Obviously, NIU had a great year, but I think Kill built that program. I thought you guys were going to get someone a little more high profile, but he could turn out to be good.
former DC for Wisconsin before taking the NIU job. very good coach, if they give him a big assistant coaching pool(which they apparently have) then he should do very well.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #1820
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
If NIU gets demolished in that game, it'll set the whole argument in favor of the smaller schools back. They're going to the playoffs next year, right? Might this be a setting for the "You guys can't hang with the big boys" retort for those schools that get snubbed?
It's just for the top 4 teams isn't it? Florida St will kill NIU if they don't just take the game too lightly and not show up
Old 12-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #1821
DivineLegion

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
He was the DC at Wisconsin before he took over the NIU program two years ago, after taking over NIU his record is 23-4 as a head coach. I like the idea of having a young enthusiastic head coach with a defensive background. State had a boat load of defensive talent this season, and the only thing keeping them from competing in the ACC was miserable coaching. I wish Dana Bible would stick around, but Yow wants a complete overhaul. Only time will tell I guess. My biggest fear is Doeren leaving the program if he is successful in turning around, and a bigger school comes calling.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #1822
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
It's just for the top 4 teams isn't it? Florida St will kill NIU if they don't just take the game too lightly and not show up
I think it's 6 or 8. Just like with basketball, though, there's always that team juuuust outside the selection crying about getting snubbed. In reality, noone cares because #67 (or whatever they're up to now) isn't going to win the title game but they still cry about being snubbed if they don't make the cut. It seems like letting a Cinderella squad get destroyed would be a good way to keep everyone in line when that selection happens.

Conversely, if they screw up and NIU wins, this is the kind of game that can turn the BCS system on its head.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #1823
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
My biggest fear is Doeren leaving the program if he is successful in turning around, and a bigger school comes calling.
That idea is grating me terribly right now. Louisville is the same kind of situation. As soon as Strong started turning the program around, I commented to my wife that it doesn't mean anything because the better he does, the faster he moves on to a better program. Then they have to start over from scratch.

I just rooted for Michigan as a kid and they never had that problem so until I went to college, I didn't realize the issue that it is. Now I've been following Louisville for a few years and the whole thing is infuriating. The only bit of happiness I could take from it all was seeing Petrino's whole life fall apart. I take it as karma for leaving Louisville...
Old 12-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #1824
DivineLegion

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
? Their offense hasn't been the problem this year. Taylor occasionally has games with a couple bad INTs, but he's also almost solely responsible for half their wins this year. They should be dangerous again on offense next year, with a senior QB, and a deep group of RBs. The zone read offense they run along with a large group of other looks is actually pretty up to date with the rest of college ball.

What is dispiriting is how spectacular the defense was under him his first two years, and how the last two years have seen it fall off a cliff. Which would point obviously to a dip in talent.

What does it take for him to get fired? I think fans are increasingly realistic about Nebraska's place in college football. They aren't Florida or Ohio St; they won't compete for national titles year in and year out, will have a recruiting disadvantage. But in the Big Ten they should still compete to go to the Rose Bowl every few years. And Bo has basically kept them at that level.

The big strike is a game like this or the Ohio St one earlier, where they get leveled by any half-decent offense. I remember when he was first hired and they were not winning every game, but hanging with teams that had blown them out previous years, thinking "at least there won't be embarrassing 40+ point losses with this guy in charge of the D." And that just isn't true anymore.
Well Nebraska isn't going to fare well against Georgia, so that will make things interesting. I was talking to my Dad about this today, and we both agree that a blow out against Georgia would be the dagger in the heart for Bos tenure at NU. No way a proud program like Nebraska is going to take two consecutive beat downs without someone's head ending up on a pike. Bo has enough trouble recruiting defensive talent, and losing on national TV to another SEC school in a bowl game isn't going to help his cause.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #1825
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:

USF cans Skip Holtz.
Good....my Toledo Rockets will be happy to have him out of the MAC.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote