The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 03:43 AM   #26
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
What about Montee Ball? Big strong back with a nose for the end zone.

Plus he is getting a 3rd round grade right now. Better to get a guy like that and get a MLB or dominant DT earlier in the draft
Ball will be an interesting name to watch. What's interesting is that after last year's ridiculous season, he was a 3rd round pick because of speed limitations. A year later, he's had a much less impressive statistical season while adding considerable mileage to his tires. That said, to me, he looks better and the Wisconsin line is not nearly as good as last season. I think he's a late 2nd Round pick, but there's probably not a player in this draft whom will have as much riding on a 40 time as Ball will. I expect a 4.63 if he weighs in at 215-225.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:48 AM   #27
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
only MLB i want early is named Teo and that mother is going top 15.
well Bostic from Florida is good too, but he's likely 2nd round more than 1st so that would still be early.

I've been really impressed with Kevin Minter from LSU. If he declares and makes it to our pick in the late first, I think he has to be the selection as things stand now. Te'o probably goes Top 5 now with both the Chiefs and Raiders needing an ILB.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:00 AM   #28
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
I would love a DT like Kawann Short from Purdue that can get push up the middle in the 1st. Bostic Would be a nice 2nd round pick but if Te'o isn't an option I want Kevin Minter from LSU in the 2nd. Then in the 3rd Montee Ball.

That would be a really nice draft. Short is my preferred DT in this draft, though he didn't take the Senior jump I was expecting. I had him as my #1 DT last year, so maybe I'm just being stubborn after a very good, not great senior year. I'm not convinced he'll make it to the late first, and if he doesn't, I think Sylvester Williams from North Carolina would be a great consolation prize. Personally, I do hope we go DT in Round 1, maybe even trade back a bit like last year.

As for Minter, I made a post before I saw yours about him. He's kind of an easy evaluation because he won't come out unless he's a 1st Round pick. So, we would either take him in R1 or he's not an option this year. Really good player though.

Ball in the 3rd would work. Has a lot of similarities to former John Fox backs Stephen Davis and DeShaun Foster. I really think he'd have to be the 2nd Round pick though, and we might even have to move up a bit for that.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:11 AM   #29
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
After tonight Ogletree might lose some draft stock, the guy got steam rolled all night long. Maybe we can steal Ogletree late in the second round.
It's definitely a thought. I don't see how he goes in Round 1.

I'm not overly high on Ogletree. Taking college 34 ILBs that play in limited space and schemes, and projecting them to a 43 NFL style defense is pretty risky. Not to mention the off-the-field concerns.

He definitely appears athletic and probably is a 3 down LB, but what is the cost? He looked bad in the run game, and most RBs in the NFL are Lacy's size. I guess he could be a developmental talent if you think you could put another 10-15lbs on him while being able to keep his athleticism. His instincts are obviously good as well.

I'd still feel a little reluctant taking him in the last 2nd to play MIKE in a 43. There is definitely risk there regardless of early draft hype.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:28 AM   #30
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Bernard would be my #1 RB if we have to take someone early. if it's later on i want Gillislee.

at DT since we won't get Star, either Shariff Floyd,Jonathan Jenkins or Sheldon RIchardson early.
Doubt we take Bernard, he'd render Hillman completely useless. Fox probably does his usual thunder/lightning type thing, and looks for a 215+ lb thumper that can log 200 carries up the gut. Not sure that would be Gillislee either, though it is possible. You'd just like to see more of a load bearing history than one season of 240 carries for a potential between the tackles starter in the NFL.

There's a only a few guys I really view as John Fox style backs in this draft. Eddie Lacy would take a 1st Round pick, Stepfan Taylor and Montee Ball would take 2nd Round picks, and maybe a late round flier on Knile Davis or Marcus Lattimore where we stash them for a year while they heal up. Christine Michael is interesting as a late round/UDFA flier as well, he was kind of lost in Texas AM's new offense, but he has some ability.

This looks like a weak RB draft overall though, too many situational RBs.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:03 AM   #31
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Don't be fooled by Wisconsin backs:

Ron Dayne
PJ Hill
Anthony Davis
Brian Calhoun
John Clay

Now Monte Ball
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:24 AM   #32
DivineLegion
The Surgeon Cometh

Tic' Toc' The Manning Clock

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
It's definitely a thought. I don't see how he goes in Round 1.

I'm not overly high on Ogletree. Taking college 34 ILBs that play in limited space and schemes, and projecting them to a 43 NFL style defense is pretty risky. Not to mention the off-the-field concerns.

He definitely appears athletic and probably is a 3 down LB, but what is the cost? He looked bad in the run game, and most RBs in the NFL are Lacy's size. I guess he could be a developmental talent if you think you could put another 10-15lbs on him while being able to keep his athleticism. His instincts are obviously good as well.

I'd still feel a little reluctant taking him in the last 2nd to play MIKE in a 43. There is definitely risk there regardless of early draft hype.
You should read this.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...roncos-defense
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:45 AM   #33
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vine View Post
Alabama running back.

Normally, I am against using a first round pick on a rb, but if he were to survive to the end of the 1st round when Denver might pick, I want him.
No
Old 12-02-2012, 05:52 AM   #34
DivineLegion
The Surgeon Cometh

Tic' Toc' The Manning Clock

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

I don't think Laceys spin move is going to be effective in the NFL, if anything it's going to get him killed.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:20 AM   #35
Elway 4 Life
Pass rushers apply here!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I would rather have Yeldon or Gurley in a few years. If we did draft Lacey I wouldnt be upset.
Elway 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:38 AM   #36
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

DJ Fluker impressed me more than the running backs.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #37
Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftermath View Post
Absolutely not. Terrible thread. We dont even know if he will be in this years draft. Let's make a thread about every prospect we should draft!
I see running back as Denver's biggest need going into next season. So, yeah, creating a thread about a running back is a terrible idea. 90% Lacy is coming out. Alabama won't miss a step with Yeldon coming afterword. If you don't like the thread, don't participate in it, but I don't see the point in b****ing about the thread like a little ****ing crybaby.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #38
Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
No
I am convinced by your insight. Maybe he is a bad idea afterall!
Old 12-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #39
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Likes omgs, i saw his SEC games last nite he's da best RB by fars likes lets drafts him guise!!!
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #40
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Eddie Lacy in my opinion is going to be a great back at the next level. The way he's built he reminds of Terrell Davis. Has great game speed, can read blocks, and has very good vision. His blocking is also great, and he's a good recieving option out of the backfield. I hope we draft him
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #41
g6matty

We need another WR bad. Who plays if DT or decker go down... Willis and Caldwell? Lol
Old 12-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #42
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6matty View Post
We need another WR bad. Who plays if DT or decker go down... Willis and Caldwell? Lol
Not nearly as bad as we need a dynamic running back or a play-making MLB. I would think there would plenty of options at the position in free agency if all we are looking for is a #3 type guy.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #43
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wilson View Post
Eddie Lacy in my opinion is going to be a great back at the next level. The way he's built he reminds of Terrell Davis. Has great game speed, can read blocks, and has very good vision. His blocking is also great, and he's a good recieving option out of the backfield. I hope we draft him
Terrell Davis was built nothing like Eddie Lacy. Are you being serious?
Old 12-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #44
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
Ball will be an interesting name to watch. What's interesting is that after last year's ridiculous season, he was a 3rd round pick because of speed limitations. A year later, he's had a much less impressive statistical season while adding considerable mileage to his tires. That said, to me, he looks better and the Wisconsin line is not nearly as good as last season. I think he's a late 2nd Round pick, but there's probably not a player in this draft whom will have as much riding on a 40 time as Ball will. I expect a 4.63 if he weighs in at 215-225.
That won't go ever well here after the whole Moreno thing. Though I can see the appeal of Ball in the 3rd round. He could end up being very good yardage grinding type back.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #45
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
I don't think Laceys spin move is going to be effective in the NFL, if anything it's going to get him killed.
No but his power and relative agility probably will be. I do think he'll be an effective NFL runner, just not high draft pick effective.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #46
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Terrell Davis was built nothing like Eddie Lacy. Are you being serious?
He's taller than Davis, but his lower body built is similar to Davis, and he runs low like Davis did.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #47
Agamemnon

Quote:
He's taller than Davis, but his lower body built is similar to Davis, and he runs low like Davis did.
Did you actually watch Terrell Davis play? There's virtually no similarities between the two. Lacey is much more like Steven Jackson. Seriously, Lacey probably outweighs Terrell Davis by 30 pounds and is far more of a pure power back than a vision-based cutback runner.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #48
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Did you actually watch Terrell Davis play? There's virtually no similarities between the two. Lacey is much more like Steven Jackson. Seriously, Lacey probably outweighs Terrell Davis by 30 pounds and is far more of a pure power back than a vision-based cutback runner.
I said he runs low like Davis did. I never said he is the same type of running back Davis was. And I said his low body build is similar to Davis. That's all. And he is 30 more pounds heavier cause he is taller than Davis was.

He's not just a power back, he can cut, and is agile/has the speed to take it the distance. You need to watch his highlights.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #49
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Eddie Lacy is built closer to Trent Richardson than TD.
not sure how you see that, not even close to the same build.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #50
Vine

He said he is going pro. I still want this guy, he is a ****ing beast. I don't think he will last to the last pick in the 1st round though.