The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #26
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer
 
Atwater His Ass's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,640

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

How can anyone think Warren Sapp is 2nd tier? He was the best DT of his generation. Would be shocked if he's not a first ballot entry.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #27
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry
 
BowlenBall's Avatar
 
Pimp.

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 5,092

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lucas Reed
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
Still can't figure out the logic in Gale Sayers being a slam dunk, no question, 100 percent HOFer and TD is on the fence.
Chicago population: 9,461,000
Denver population: 619,968

Denver has historically had a rough time of it with pro bowls and the hall of fame, mostly because the smaller population base means we're on TV a whole lot less, particularly on the East coast.

For example, which player is in the Hall of Fame?

Lynn Swann: 336 receptions, 5462 yards, 51 touchdowns, 3 pro bowls
Rod Smith: 849 receptions, 11389 yards, 68 touchdowns, 3 pro bowls

Rod Smith had to more than double Lynn Swann's production to make the same number of pro bowls, and after they retired, Swann gets inducted while Rod Smith doesn't even make the semi-final cut.

Had Rod Smith, Randy Gradishar, Steve Atwater, or Karl Mecklenberg played for the NY Giants (for example), they'd all be in the HOF right now.
BowlenBall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #28
extralife
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
Lynn Swann: 336 receptions, 5462 yards, 51 touchdowns, 3 pro bowls
Rod Smith: 849 receptions, 11389 yards, 68 touchdowns, 3 pro bowls
to be fair, this is a really stupid comparison. take a look at passing stats in the 70's.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #29
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,818

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
to be fair, this is a really stupid comparison. take a look at passing stats in the 70's.
It doesnt mater what era, Lynn Swan should not be in the HoF.

You can argue however you want for Rod Smith but Swan should not be in the HoF. The only reason he is was because he was the best receiver on a 4 time winning SB team that ironically, won superbowls due to defense and the run game.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #30
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,210

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
Chicago population: 9,461,000
Denver population: 619,968

Denver has historically had a rough time of it with pro bowls and the hall of fame, mostly because the smaller population base means we're on TV a whole lot less, particularly on the East coast.

For example, which player is in the Hall of Fame?

Lynn Swann: 336 receptions, 5462 yards, 51 touchdowns, 3 pro bowls
Rod Smith: 849 receptions, 11389 yards, 68 touchdowns, 3 pro bowls

Rod Smith had to more than double Lynn Swann's production to make the same number of pro bowls, and after they retired, Swann gets inducted while Rod Smith doesn't even make the semi-final cut.

Had Rod Smith, Randy Gradishar, Steve Atwater, or Karl Mecklenberg played for the NY Giants (for example), they'd all be in the HOF right now.
If you look at those inducted typically they are east/west coast teams. Where the voters are they see these teams a lot either in person or on TV.

Most voters are lazy and go with the flow.

I do like our chances now to get a guy in over Mannings tenure since more of our games are national ones than before. Just more exposure.

Last edited by lonestar; 11-30-2012 at 10:41 PM..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #31
Hamrob
All-American!
 
Hamrob's Avatar
 
All-American!

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 5,523

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
It doesnt mater what era, Lynn Swan should not be in the HoF.

You can argue however you want for Rod Smith but Swan should not be in the HoF. The only reason he is was because he was the best receiver on a 4 time winning SB team that ironically, won superbowls due to defense and the run game.
I disagree.

The steelers of the 70's were more than just defense and the run game...they had a huge big play factor of going down the field to Stallworth and Swann.

Swann is in the HOF....for the exact same reason that Sayers is in the HOF.

At the time they were playing........they were so freakishly better than anyone else at their perspective positions.......there was no denying their talent. Stats were secondary when it came to guys like that.

Just listen to the guys who played against them....Sayers glided like he wasn't even running...he was so swift and slippery it was like poetry in motion. Same goes for Swann...he was truly a balerina on the football field...making some of the most out of this world catches....stuff that just hadn't been seen at the time. They are both in the HOF because of their impact on their generation of football. That's why it's difficult to compare players over generations.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #32
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
Chicago population: 9,461,000
Denver population: 619,968

Denver has historically had a rough time of it with pro bowls and the hall of fame, mostly because the smaller population base means we're on TV a whole lot less, particularly on the East coast.

For example, which player is in the Hall of Fame?

Lynn Swann: 336 receptions, 5462 yards, 51 touchdowns, 3 pro bowls
Rod Smith: 849 receptions, 11389 yards, 68 touchdowns, 3 pro bowls

Rod Smith had to more than double Lynn Swann's production to make the same number of pro bowls, and after they retired, Swann gets inducted while Rod Smith doesn't even make the semi-final cut.

Had Rod Smith, Randy Gradishar, Steve Atwater, or Karl Mecklenberg played for the NY Giants (for example), they'd all be in the HOF right now.
I agree with your overall point, but whenever people use the population of Denver they always misrepresent the real population of the area. The city limits of Denver are extremely small compared to many large cities. The metro area as a whole is closer to 3 million people.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #33
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,210

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I agree with your overall point, but whenever people use the population of Denver they always misrepresent the real population of the area. The city limits of Denver are extremely small compared to many large cities. The metro area as a whole is closer to 3 million people.
Which is still one third the population of the city of Chicago, not to mention all of the suburbs and cities nearby, including neighboring states.

So be realistic when comparing.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #34
Bruce Hermansen Fan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I don't ever recall Steve Atwater making this far in the process. It would an achievement for him to become a finalist and make it to the round-table discussion.

I hope the voters continue to snub Cris Carter and keep him rotting and waiting on the outside. Carter was a low-life with Ohio $tate and the Eagles and he's still a ****head on ESPN.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:56 AM.


Denver Broncos