The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #376
Simply Red
NATURAL SELECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Is the following what you are looking for:

Preseason mattered this year because it gave Manning time to get his timing down with his new offense and receiving corps.

The luxury of a full TC and PS this year allowed our O to gell and for PM to prove that he is healthy and can make all the throws he needs to in this league, even if he hasn't been able to consistently complete the deep ball. A contested ball down field is a tough pass to complete anyway for anyone and even harder for those who had to sit a year out. I think the deep passing game will get better as Manning gains confidence with his new, YOUNG, WR's.

I think PS this year has shown that PM can take a hit without setbacks the following day(s) and get back up and keep slinging it.

The highlight for us Bronco fans over here on the Mange, was the 3rd game of the year (even though Fox said they did not gameplan for it) where Peyton threw for like 15 of 17, 155 yards 2 TD's and a 3rd drive in a row that had a score (FG), we were up 3-0 before a Manning Pass to Bell was a big 3rd down conversion even though Peyton took a big hit, but he bounced back up and threw a TD to Decker. Then later he tossed another to Decker, with nice touch, and made it 17-ZIP.

Peyton went 10 of 12 for 122 and 2 TD's in limited action. Maybe if Peyton was playing under Belly for the Patsy's Belly might have kept him out there the entire game and running the score up into the 60 point range depending on how many times he decided to go for 2 after every Manning TD pass.

I believe the staff saw what they wanted to see of Manning in the 3rd game and pulled him, maybe if he struggled and went 19/34 and only 168 with a TD and another INT they might have kept him out there to get in sync with the O and even have him start the 2nd half but since Manning looked like the Manning of old and was scary good I believe they saw enough and moved on to see if it was worth keeping Hanie around or if they should move Osweiler up to 2nd.

I think in the 2nd horse race I might keep Haine around just because he can call the plays and get the team to the LOS. I think Haine will be a career BU, maybe a little worse than Orton but at least Haine can pull it down and go Tebow Time when he gets happy feet in the pocket. His mobility will help him out a little. Haine is good for at least 1 bad INT per game but he has shown he is good for at least 1 (or more if lucky) good drive per game.

I do feel a lot better seeing Manning (in person on Week 1 here in Chitown) play and not have any setbacks throwing. It will be an on going issue to keep his arm strength where it needs to be until the Nerve has totally regenerated but he is committed to getting better so I do not see him taking a few days of PT off then ending up with major pain in the throwing arm and being set backed for a couple weeks.

He has seemed to recover to the point where he can do just about anything he wants to do on the field at his age and experience, it will just be up to the receivers to stay with him and catch the balls. Plus PM will have a good run game to help him offset the blitz and keep D's honest.

The last game will be fun only to watch the depth players play and see if some dark horse can make the team with great play. I wonder if Os puts it together and has a great game this week if he doesn't get the 2nd QB spot sending Weber to PS (which will likely happen anyway) or if they just cut Haine and still move Weber to PS.

I will be watching Os, the LOS on both sides for us and LB depth as we may need an LB to push some starters for their jobs this year.

So to answer your question the long way It has been a good PS for us and we learned a lot about our team

I think he will lead you all to the Super-Bowl. It's hard for me to hate him, he's intelligent, responsible and doesn't 'make it rain' 'up in da' club' - he interviews well, well spoken and a downright sweetheart. But I can no longer pull for his success. Bottom line is - week 1 we will see how ****ty KC's D is, also, we'll see how the D can absolutely NOT win a game for them, I'll be sad, we'll proceed to 8-8 if we're lucky.....

Look - I've got to go now!

Simply Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #377
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Red View Post
You all have scattered, covered, smothered & chunked your collection of thoughts of this preseason's importance, as well, I'll be happy to dig up at least ten examples of conflicting opinions on the importance of PS by/from the OM posters.
go right ahead, make my day.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #378
DENVERDUI55

I haven't been watching queefs but was sure unimpressed by Poe last week. He was getting his poop pushed in on the nose.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #379
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
I haven't been watching queefs but was sure unimpressed by Poe last week. He was getting his poop pushed in on the nose.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #380
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Red View Post
I think he will lead you all to the Super-Bowl. It's hard for me to hate him, he's intelligent, responsible and doesn't 'make it rain' 'up in da' club' - he interviews well, well spoken and a downright sweetheart. But I can no longer pull for his success. Bottom line is - week 1 we will see how ****ty KC's D is, also, we'll see how the D can absolutely NOT win a game for them, I'll be sad, we'll proceed to 8-8 if we're lucky.....

Look - I've got to go now!

Simply Red is the only kFc fan on the Mane who knew the kFc D was bad at the start of the season. Fear, Boob, and Stud all thought the D and the rest of the team was great and the problem was just QB. QB is a big problem for them but allowing 90+ yard drives at home and giving up 85 yards to a guy who was inactive for 8 games sure contributes to the suckage!
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #381
FearLanier

Quote:
Simply Red is the only kFc fan on the Mane who knew the kFc D was bad at the start of the season. Fear, Boob, and Stud all thought the D and the rest of the team was great and the problem was just QB. QB is a big problem for them but allowing 90+ yard drives at home and giving up 85 yards to a guy who was inactive for 8 games sure contributes to the suckage!
The Chiefs defense held Peyton's top 5 offense to their lowest scoring output of the season.
Jamaal Charles had 107 yards with 4.7 YPA and as a team the Chiefs had 148 rushing yards.
A patched up OL that had 2 rookie starters gave up only 1 sack to VonDoom.

The QB constantly made horrible throws downfield, didn't complete a pass in the 4th quarter because of horribly overthrown passes and the head coach wasted a timeout to decide if he was going to go for a FG or a TD in an obvious situation that coaches don't waste timeouts on.

I think that's pretty strong evidence that HC and QB have eviscerated this team.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #382
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearLanier View Post
The Chiefs defense held Peyton's top 5 offense to their lowest scoring output of the season.
Jamaal Charles had 107 yards with 4.7 YPA and as a team the Chiefs had 148 rushing yards.

The QB constantly made horrible throws downfield, didn't complete a pass in the 4th quarter because of horribly overthrown passes and the head coach wasted a timeout to decide if he was going to go for a FG or a TD in an obvious situation that coaches don't waste timeouts on.

I think that's pretty strong evidence that HC and QB have eviscerated this team.
Scoreboard biitch.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #383
dictionary

After careful consideration and two bottles of wine, and the slow realization that this is my zombie thread that will not die. I have to agree that KC is terrible. I am thankful we beat them on Thanksgiving weekend in that devil's hole of arrowhead. Boob has at least stayed around the OM--more out of some kind of effed up stockholm syndrome than anything; yet, kcLIMP is nowhere to be found, as of late. C'est la vie.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #384
dictionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Boy View Post
Scoreboard biitch.
I think b**** was too nice.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #385
Agamemnon

Quote:

Your GM has eviscerated your team.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #386
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:

1-10
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #387
FearLanier

Speaking of Poe. Not too shabby considering he's playing in a 2 gap dinosaur defense.

Nominate | Report
Posted: Today 5:53 PM
Dontari Poe has 11th best Run Stop % in the NFL
Sig Stats Snapshot: Run Stop Percentage, DTs

Commentators like to throw around the word ‘run-stuffer’ a lot when talking about defensive tackles. Sometimes big-bodied linemen get that label based on size alone instead of actual production. That is why today I’ll be looking at which tackles are actually making plays in the run game, and which are just eating up space.

To evaluate this we will be looking at one of our Signature Stats for defensive players, Run Stop Percentage. The percentage is simply calculated by taking the total number of stops and dividing it by the number of run snaps played. We define stops as any play that constitutes a ‘failure’ for the offense. For example, a 2-yard run on first down would be considered an offensive failure because it doesn’t really improve their position. A 1-yard run on 4th-and-inches that results in a first down, on the other hand, wouldn’t be considered a failure because the offense greatly improved their position.
Run Stop Percentage is a unique Signature Stat because it has meaning for every single position on defense, and you can find them all listed in the PFF Premium section. Defensive tackle, though, is a position where run defense is at a premium. A team can still stop the run with below average corners and safeties, but a sub-par defensive tackle can ruin a run defense.
Now, on to the statistics.
3-4 vs. 4-3
In these statistics we are lumping nose tackles along with defensive tackles. They obviously are not the same position and each position will have different responsibilities depending on the team and the scheme. Of the qualifying tackles, 16 were from 3-4 teams and 61 from 4-3′s. Here is how they compared on average:
3-4 4-3
Run Stop Percentage 6.94 6.16
Run Snaps per Tackling Opportunity 9.04 9.73
Although the sample size is very limited it would appear as though nose tackles are in on more tackles and have higher Run Stop Percentages. The reason may be very similar to why middle linebackers have higher Run Stop Percentages and make more tackles. Since a nose tackle lines up in the middle, he’s able to make plays to both sides effectively. A defensive tackle can be taken out of a play if it is run away from him. So when looking at the stats, this is something to keep in mind.
Run Stop Percentage vs. PFF Run Grade
Even though Run Stop Percentage is probably the most indicative statistic of performance against the run, it doesn’t always equal the PFF run grade. There are a couple of reasons for this. The first reason is that a play can be impacted without making a tackle. Gerald McCoy is a player this can be said about. His run grade is sixth among defensive tackles yet he has only made 10 stops and is 80th in Run Stop Percentage. He routinely holds the point of attack, though, and rarely gives up running lanes.
The second reason is that good run defense isn’t always about making plays, sometimes it is about not giving up plays. The best example of this is probably Henry Melton. He has the second-highest Run Stop Percentage yet a negative PFF run grade. Melton loves to get upfield and is fantastic at it. This shows through in his pass rushing and run stop statistics. He loves to get upfield so much that he’ll sometimes get pushed easily out of a hole, which is a no-no.
The Top 20
Rank Name Team Run Snaps Stops Stop %
1 Aubrayo Franklin SD 114 14 12.3
2 Henry Melton CHI 149 18 12.1
3 Mike Martin TEN 126 15 11.9
4 Geno Atkins CIN 188 21 11.2
5 Fletcher Cox PHI 135 14 10.4
6 Terrence Cody BLT 137 14 10.2
7 Earl Mitchell HST 120 12 10.0
8 Brandon Mebane SEA 206 20 9.7
9 Jay Ratliff DAL 87 8 9.2
10 Dan Williams ARZ 168 15 8.9
11 Dontari Poe KC 205 18 8.8
12 Akiem Hicks NO 137 12 8.8
13 Paul Soliai MIA 202 17 8.4
14 Jermelle Cudjo SL 119 10 8.4
15 Kenrick Ellis NYJ 98 8 8.2
16 Jurrell Casey TEN 234 19 8.1
17 Richard Seymour OAK 128 10 7.8
18 Spencer Johnson BUF 78 6 7.7
19 Justin Bannan DEN 211 16 7.6
20 Ahtyba Rubin CLV 145 11 7.6

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ercentage-dts/
Old 11-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #388
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Spin it any way you like. Your team is dog shiat. Enjoy your latest bust D lineman.

Oh, and scoreboard.

Biitch.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #389
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think I follow football fairly closely yet the names Earl Mitchell and Henry Melton could've been uttered and I wouldn't have had a clue who they were. If you're behind them on a list, it's probably not a great indicator of anything significant.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #390
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
I think I follow football fairly closely yet the names Earl Mitchell and Henry Melton could've been uttered and I wouldn't have had a clue who they were. If you're behind them on a list, it's probably not a great indicator of anything significant.
Henry Melton is leading the pro bowl voting for NFC DT's. Just saying, he's having a pretty good year.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #391
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Henry Melton is leading the pro bowl voting for NFC DT's. Just saying, he's having a pretty good year.
Melton was good last year also, not quite Tommie Harris (pre payday) yet but he is very good.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #392
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:

Don't kid yourself, Prater's misses kept the game closer than it should have been. Had he not missed those 2 kicks badly the game would have been much closer to our avg output of 26 points a game at 23.

Fox played it conservative on the road, they did enough to win including putting together a 90+ yard drive when they needed it to take the lead before the end of the half.

Denver traditionally struggles in Analhead. Sure the Bronco's started slow (nothing new there) but when kFc could only muster FG's I knew this game was in the bag.

Sure you need a new HC and QB but you also need a new GM, FO, Assistant's, Center, Guard, Tackle, TE, 3 WR's, a shortyardage RB, 2 DT's, MLB, WLB that can cover and run stop, 2 CB's, safety, and a returner among other things.

Good luck with that.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #393
DAN_BRONCO_FAN
Ring of Famer

weed will win

Adopt-a-Bronco:
miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
that sums up kc and oakland this year and previous years and next year and the year after that
DAN_BRONCO_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #394
FearLanier

Quote:
Don't kid yourself, Prater's misses kept the game closer than it should have been. Had he not missed those 2 kicks badly the game would have been much closer to our avg output of 26 points a game at 23.

Fox played it conservative on the road, they did enough to win including putting together a 90+ yard drive when they needed it to take the lead before the end of the half.

Denver traditionally struggles in Analhead. Sure the Bronco's started slow (nothing new there) but when kFc could only muster FG's I knew this game was in the bag.

Sure you need a new HC and QB but you also need a new GM, FO, Assistant's, Center, Guard, Tackle, TE, 3 WR's, a shortyardage RB, 2 DT's, MLB, WLB that can cover and run stop, 2 CB's, safety, and a returner among other things.

Good luck with that.
KC's OL has been very good with poor QB's this year. Albert has given up only 1 sack all season to a QB that holds the ball forever.
Dwayne Bowe is still a good WR and he has less drops than both Decker and Thomas.
Flowers has been a good talent. If you're saying that DJ is the MLB problem idk what to tell you. He's about as good of a MLB as there is in the AFC with Ray Lewis hurt the last 2 years.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #395
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
KC's OL has been very good with poor QB's this year. Albert has given up only 1 sack all season to a QB that holds the ball forever.
Dwayne Bowe is still a good WR and he has less drops than both Decker and Thomas.
Flowers has been a good talent. If you're saying that DJ is the MLB problem idk what to tell you. He's about as good of a MLB as there is in the AFC with Ray Lewis hurt the last 2 years.
You are starting Russ Hockstein, you have no center, I don't care that you have 1 tackle that is above avg, the rest of the line sucks.

What makes you think Bowe will be around next year after being tagged this year and rumored in trade talks at the trade deadline? Plus the guy is not worth what he would command if they were to sign him. He has been targetted over 100 times and only has 50 catches for 600 yards and 3 TD's. The guy drops way too many balls and disappears in games. I understand the poor QB argument but he has been under achieving and dropping balls his whole career

I gave you Flowers and Berry, the other 2 CB's you need are a #2 and Nickle back. Then you need a Safety to play across from Berry

DJ has been terrible this year. Over runs plays, missing tackles, poor in coverage. He is no where near the elite at MLB in the AFC let alone the NFL.

Take your red colored glasses off and face reality. Teams aren't this bad because of lack of QB and HC. With the talent you have at RB you would be in more games with a real D. These are all team losses.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #396
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Wow. Interesting. I've noticed a huge decrease in my player knowledge since I stopped playing fantasy football but I would've thought I'd be up there with the average person. Guess I'm overlooking him.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #397
FearLanier

Quote:
You are starting Russ Hockstein, you have no center, I don't care that you have 1 tackle that is above avg, the rest of the line sucks.
Hockstein only started last week due to injury. Hudson was the most decorated OL at Florida State and he looked like he had potential. We'll have to see what he does next year (he broke his leg). There is definitely something there.

Quote:
What makes you think Bowe will be around next year after being tagged this year and rumored in trade talks at the trade deadline? Plus the guy is not worth what he would command if they were to sign him. He has been targetted over 100 times and only has 50 catches for 600 yards and 3 TD's. The guy drops way too many balls and disappears in games. I understand the poor QB argument but he has been under achieving and dropping balls his whole career
The fact that he puts up 1,000 yards a year and is top 5 in TD's the last 5 years with about 10 QB's that are horrible says a lot.

Quote:
I gave you Flowers and Berry, the other 2 CB's you need are a #2 and Nickle back. Then you need a Safety to play across from Berry

DJ has been terrible this year. Over runs plays, missing tackles, poor in coverage. He is no where near the elite at MLB in the AFC let alone the NFL.

Take your red colored glasses off and face reality. Teams aren't this bad because of lack of QB and HC. With the talent you have at RB you would be in more games with a real D. These are all team losses.

My mistake Mr. Broncosteven. And I agree about the secondary concerns. DJ has been good this year. He's been "okay" in coverage but not great, but everywhere else, especially against the run, he's been great (though it didn't show much against you guys).

The Chiefs have played 3 AFC playoff teams (Ravens, Steelers and Broncos) and they played them great. QB and coaching aren't the only problems, but I'd say they are two of the huge boulders holding the team at the bottom of the ocean.

A good QB and HC could put this team in the wildcard conversation next year IMO (the conference is weak after the top 5). Somewhere between 6-10 and 7-9 IMO. Just look at the Dolphins for proof of that.

Btw-I was not a fan of the Dontari Poe pick. I wanted us to draft David DeCastro.

Last edited by FearLanier; 11-29-2012 at 10:07 PM..
Old 11-30-2012, 06:11 AM   #398
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
The Chiefs have played 3 AFC playoff teams (Ravens, Steelers and Broncos) and they lost all 3 games.
FYP
Old 11-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #399
DENVERDUI55

Quote:

The Chiefs have played 3 AFC playoff teams (Ravens, Steelers and Broncos) and they played them great. QB and coaching aren't the only problems, but I'd say they are two of the huge boulders holding the team at the bottom of the ocean.

Btw-I was not a fan of the Dontari Poe pick. I wanted us to draft David DeCastro.
I think most teams even if they are bad or not have played great games against playoff teams.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #400
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Can't just count drops my friend. Bowe's catch percentage is well below both DT and Decker.

Bowe: 50% complete passes when targeted

Decker: 62%

DT: 66%
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote