The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #26
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
That's one game. Saints suck on the road and I put up alot of money in Vegas based on that. SF is a Super Bowl caliber team at every position except QB. Kaep brings dimesional that Alex can't. 7 years is long enough to know Alex's first read is a check down.
I don't watch much Niner football I will admit, but for a guy to be 5th in passer rating, 1st in completion %, 4th in yards per...I just don't see how anyone can say he doesn't deserve to be the starter again.

Sure he hasn't thrown for a lot of yards but he wasn't playing poorly...he was playing like a top ten QB this year.

I have nothing against Kaepernick at all, I truthfully don't care about anyone on that team but I just cannot see how this is fair to Smith. Like Tombstone said, this is a gamble.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #27
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
No he didn't. He wasn't even good then. Brady wasn't good until his third year as a starter. Bledsoe and Brady's stats are almost identical from 2000 to 2001.
Yes and No. Maybe it's an overstatement that Brady 'made' the Pats a contender that year. In all honesty they were pretty lucky to win it all that year. They were far from dominant. And for the most part they won with defense.

On the other hand, Brady's stats were inarguably better than Bledsoe's in 2000. 86 to 77 passer rating. 64 to 59% completion. More TD's. Less INT's.

And most importantly, Drew had just led the team to two more losses to open the season following a 5-11 season the year before. Comparing the 8-2 damn-near NFC Champs to the 2001 Patriots is silly in nearly every conceivable way.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #28
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
I don't watch much Niner football I will admit, but for a guy to be 5th in passer rating, 1st in completion %, 4th in yards per...I just don't see how anyone can say he doesn't deserve to be the starter again.

Sure he hasn't thrown for a lot of yards but he wasn't playing poorly...he was playing like a top ten QB this year.

I have nothing against Kaepernick at all, I truthfully don't care about anyone on that team but I just cannot see how this is fair to Smith. Like Tombstone said, this is a gamble.
Those stats have more to do with Harbaughs genius at QB development than Smith. He never put him in risky situations. Short dink and dunks are what he's good at. Playing with the lead. Managing by not turning over the ball. Yards per are skewed with YACs. Their TEs WRs and RBs rank among the best in YACs. I think I've seen more than several screen passes resulting in 15-20 yards.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #29
Drunken.Broncoholic

Kaep wasn't drafted to be a back up. He was drafted to eventually replace Smith. Harbaugh knows how to coach QBs. Kaep learned all last year and had progressed considerably thanks to Harbaugh. Alex Smith is someone else's guy. Kaep is Harbaughs. HCs love to bring in their own guys. Even if this backfires on Harbaugh he has an out to move on. And SF won't be paying that 7 mil bonus in April.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #30
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Seems like a gamblers type risk and an unnecessary one. Might pay off but might screw a SB run and those don't come around all that often.

It's not like you couldn't win a Super Bowl with Smith.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #31
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Yes and No. Maybe it's an overstatement that Brady 'made' the Pats a contender that year. In all honesty they were pretty lucky to win it all that year. They were far from dominant. And for the most part they won with defense.

On the other hand, Brady's stats were inarguably better than Bledsoe's in 2000. 86 to 77 passer rating. 64 to 59% completion. More TD's. Less INT's.

And most importantly, Drew had just led the team to two more losses to open the season following a 5-11 season the year before. Comparing the 8-2 damn-near NFC Champs to the 2001 Patriots is silly in nearly every conceivable way.
He had one more TD and one less int! Really? Yeah that was what put them over the edge!
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #32
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Seems like a gamblers type risk and an unnecessary one. Might pay off but might screw a SB run and those don't come around all that often.

It's not like you couldn't win a Super Bowl with Smith.
And like Kurt Warner said, if you make this move, you do it over the offseason. Not Week 12 of a title chase. Pressure is hard enough on young QB's. Throwing this much expectation on a kid over such a short number of games is begging for disaster.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #33
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Those stats have more to do with Harbaughs genius at QB development than Smith. He never put him in risky situations. Short dink and dunks are what he's good at. Playing with the lead. Managing by not turning over the ball. Yards per are skewed with YACs. Their TEs WRs and RBs rank among the best in YACs. I think I've seen more than several screen passes resulting in 15-20 yards.
I will have to take your word for it, like I said I don't watch them a lot. All I am saying is, this seems like a good example of "if it aint' broke" IMO.

Could be the move of the year, who knows.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #34
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
He had one more TD and one less int! Really? Yeah that was what put them over the edge!
It's almost like you didn't read the post.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #35
Bronco Yoda

Kaepernick is Harbough's guy so I'm not surprised. Obviously he was just waiting for the right (first) opportunity to make the switch but Smith was always just good enough to keep his job on a good team going places. This really reminds me of the Cutler/Jake move.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #36
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Its not like they are winning because of Alex Smith
They have a SB roster already, its not like they are changing defenses or benching Frank Gore

This move was going to be made eventually

As far as Alex Smith goes, well it sucks for him
He will go be the starter for some garbage team and suck for a couple years before becoming a journeyman backup qb
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #37
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I'm trying to imagine a circumstance in which Alex Smith would want to be the QB of the Jets. Seems like career suicide to me.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #38
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
I will have to take your word for it, like I said I don't watch them a lot. All I am saying is, this seems like a good example of "if it aint' broke" IMO.

Could be the move of the year, who knows.
Personally if we had to face them in the Super Bowl I'd rather have Smith start then Kaep. Smith Handcuffs the offense and you concentrate on Gore. With Kaep Crabtree and Davis become lethal, along with Gore.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #39
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I'm trying to imagine a circumstance in which Alex Smith would want to be the QB of the Jets. Seems like career suicide to me.
Well he got on a plane to Miami when that organization looked like a complete disaster this summer.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #40
Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0phr0syne View Post
I love how Kaepernick actually utilizes his TEs. Obviously Davis is highly regarded, but Delanie Walker has long been neglected. Kaepernick is daring enough to use his arm down the seams. Smith's career has been a series of unfortunate events that were beyond his control, but Kaepernick is better able to maximize the other personnel.
Vernon Davis got 0 receptions and 0 targets last game.

Harbaugh's offense is very QB friendly though.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #41
Bronco Yoda

I'm thinking Smith would consider most teams right now if he was given the starting job. One game and he's replaced That's a biatch slap!
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #42
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Harbaugh's offense is very QB friendly though.
It really is a testement to Harbaughs QB coaching. Before Jim Alex looked like a complete mess. No HC, OC could get production out of him. Did not use him right. Let him pass downfield resulting in terrible games. Harbaugh used Smith strengths. Not to mention Andrew Luck. And now Kaep has seen benefits from learning all last year.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #43
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Harbaugh isn't the type of coach that would even tolerate a locker room split. Players have been interviewed over the last week or so on Bay Area radio and every one is on board with Kaep. They feel Alex was holding them back. "Multi dimensional" offense was used by several players. Alex is an Orton. The only way Alex would've stayed as starter in SF is if he won the Super Bowl. The FO doesn't think he can. He's gone before they owe that 7 mil bonus.
Harbaugh sounds like an over-the-top ego. That may work in college but not in the NFL. Like I said, if the team wins, fine. I'm sure Harbaugh will continue to garner the respect of the players. However, if the team struggles then I think it--might--come back to haunt him.

Fact is, the Niners are loaded with talent. Much of that talent was there before Harbaugh became the HC. All I'm saying is that his personality may rub some players the wrong way if the team starts to struggle.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #44
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Harbaugh sounds like an over-the-top ego. That may work in college but not in the NFL. Like I said, if the team wins, fine. I'm sure Harbaugh will continue to garner the respect of the players. However, if the team struggles then I think it--might--come back to haunt him.

Fact is, the Niners are loaded with talent. Much of that talent was there before Harbaugh became the HC. All I'm saying is that his personality may rub some players the wrong way if the team starts to struggle.

Just think what it will do to the locker room if Kaepernick tosses 4 ints in a playoff game and SF is one and done. Where does Harbaugh you go from there?
Old 11-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #45
Agamemnon

The 49ers aren't going to win the Super Bowl off of QB play with either guy, but I fully believe Kaepernick is going to make enough mistakes to lose it for them.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #46
canadianbroncosfan

If it wasn't going to be Peyton in the spring, it had to be Kaepernick in the fall. Doesn't seem to me like Harbaugh or their FO are big fans of Smith.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #47
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I don't see the issue. Maybe if Colin loses a game, there can be a discussion. Harbaugh didn't say anything wrong. Said all the right things in fact. What's the problem here? I don't see one.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #48
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I don't see the issue. Maybe if Colin loses a game, there can be a discussion. Harbaugh didn't say anything wrong. Said all the right things in fact. What's the problem here? I don't see one.
You had a game manager playing well enough to win lots of games.

Smith had a qb rating of over 100

Kaepernick is an unknown and will make first time starters mistakes what if the mistakes come in a playoff game where if you lose there is no next week.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #49
HorseHead
Ring of Famer

Stay thirsty my friends..

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

Only in the NFL can you be 18 out of 19 in your last start, and poof..

That being said, the kid looks like he has a cannon..the dude has some guns..
HorseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #50
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

KC should trade out of the 1 spot and sign Smith.

Quickest way to get good fast.