The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
Ronnie Tsunami

Default Calling it now

Alex Smith will be a Jet in 2013.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/86...-st-louis-rams

Quote:
Colin Kaepernick will start at quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday against the St. Louis Rams, coach Jim Harbaugh said Wednesday.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Tsunami View Post
Dumbest thing Harbaugh has ever done. You don't pull this kind of **** midseason on a legit Super Bowl Contender.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football

GO..........BRONCOS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Dumbest thing Harbaugh has ever done. You don't pull this kind of **** midseason on a legit Super Bowl Contender.
you do when the back up is a much better QB. the team has responded to Kaeperneck just fine. he gives them a much better chance come playoff time
bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
Punisher
®WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Money to Burn WOOOO®

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoflcommish View Post
you do when the back up is a much better QB. the team has responded to Kaeperneck just fine. he gives them a much better chance come playoff time
This
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Drew bledsoe agrees
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I love how Kaepernick actually utilizes his TEs. Obviously Davis is highly regarded, but Delanie Walker has long been neglected. Kaepernick is daring enough to use his arm down the seams. Smith's career has been a series of unfortunate events that were beyond his control, but Kaepernick is better able to maximize the other personnel.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
CEH
Ring of Famer

Lose your job to a concussion. Good luck with that NFL
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbythug View Post
Drew bledsoe agrees
I knew that was coming out.

Key difference.

The 2011 Alex Smith 49ers were one play away from the Super Bowl.

The 2000 Bledsoe New England Patriots were one play away from 4-12.

The switch to Brady MADE those Pats a contender.

Biggest point... a lot has been made lately of the 'big game' quarterback and how important production is when all the chips are down. Smith proved something last year. Played maybe the best game in his career vs the Saints. If Kaepernick has a rough patch in January and the 9ers lose, Harbaugh has put everything he's worked for to this point at risk. They may never get back to where they were.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Lose your job to a concussion. Good luck with that NFL
Sadly this is exactly the case too. He was honest about the concussion and as a result, lost his job.

Yes I know, there is a case to be made for Kaepernick taking the job...but I am not sure I agree with this. I honestly feel bad for Smith.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Arizona Cardinals.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
lolcopter

Smith sucks. NYJ suck.

Seems like a solid fit
Old 11-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #12
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

It is the right move. Kaepernick is the better QB. Better arm and can make plays with his legs. 9ers offense has looked dominate since he took over.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #13
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
I've seen every niner game for 2 years now. The niners are an SB contender despite Smith. When they play from behind their hands are tied. Smith simply does not throw it downfield. 7 years of it. It took him around 4 games this year to actually put the ball in the air more than 20 yards. 92 pass attempts and only 2 were in the air more than 20 yards. He's a one dimesional game manager. An Orton who doesn't turn it over. Niners just got even better.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #14
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

it's a gamble that could backfire on Harbaugh for sure.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #15
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
it's a gamble that could backfire on Harbaugh for sure.
It won't though. Harbaugh owns the city of SF. He even drove the car branden belt sat in the Giants World Series parade. He can do no wrong. His foundations with the Bay go back to the Stanford days. If it doesn't work out they move on. This isn't the first time Harbaugh tried to cast aside Smith. Smith ran back once. If Kaep doesn't work out he will be right there. Harbaugh though will have moved on.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #16
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
It won't though. Harbaugh owns the city of SF. He even drove the car branden belt sat in the Giants World Series parade. He can do no wrong. His foundations with the Bay go back to the Stanford days. If it doesn't work out they move on. This isn't the first time Harbaugh tried to cast aside Smith. Smith ran back once. If Kaep doesn't work out he will be right there. Harbaugh though will have moved on.
Harbaugh may have the keys to the city but that doesn't mean the team will like it. As long as the team wins I think everything will be fine, but if the team struggles I think this type of decision could haunt Harbaugh down the line.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #17
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
I knew that was coming out.

Key difference.

The 2011 Alex Smith 49ers were one play away from the Super Bowl.

The 2000 Bledsoe New England Patriots were one play away from 4-12.

The switch to Brady MADE those Pats a contender.
No he didn't. He wasn't even good then. Brady wasn't good until his third year as a starter. Bledsoe and Brady's stats are almost identical from 2000 to 2001.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #18
DenverBroncosJM
Post here Vine

I like Kap but I think right around playoff time when teams have film on him he won't look so great.
DenverBroncosJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #19
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
I've seen every niner game for 2 years now. The niners are an SB contender despite Smith. When they play from behind their hands are tied. Smith simply does not throw it downfield. 7 years of it. It took him around 4 games this year to actually put the ball in the air more than 20 yards. 92 pass attempts and only 2 were in the air more than 20 yards. He's a one dimesional game manager. An Orton who doesn't turn it over. Niners just got even better.
I've never been a huge Smith fan or anything. But an elite team built around a crushing defense shouldn't be switching late-season from any decent 'game managing' QB to a kid who up until a few weeks ago (when Smith got hurt) had a grand total of 14 NFL passing attempts.

And as soon as you can show me an Orton end-of-game performance that looks anything like the end of the 9ers Saints playoff game last year, let me know.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #20
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Harbaugh may have the keys to the city but that doesn't mean the team will like it. As long as the team wins I think everything will be fine, but if the team struggles I think this type of decision could haunt Harbaugh down the line.
Harbaugh isn't the type of coach that would even tolerate a locker room split. Players have been interviewed over the last week or so on Bay Area radio and every one is on board with Kaep. They feel Alex was holding them back. "Multi dimensional" offense was used by several players. Alex is an Orton. The only way Alex would've stayed as starter in SF is if he won the Super Bowl. The FO doesn't think he can. He's gone before they owe that 7 mil bonus.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #21
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

The Bledsoe comparison is a horrible one for another reason: he almost freaking died on the field. He didn't have a "one week" concussion. He couldn't safely step on the practice field for a long time after that injury, much less play in a game. There was no real decision to be made by the coach to bench Bledsoe until Brady had played most of the season and built up a resume and rapport with the team. Smith lost his job after ONE game. If Bledsoe had a one week injury, Brady would probably still be riding pine somewhere or would be out of the NFL altogether.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #22
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
And as soon as you can show me an Orton end-of-game performance that looks anything like the end of the 9ers Saints playoff game last year, let me know.
That's one game. Saints suck on the road and I put up alot of money in Vegas based on that. SF is a Super Bowl caliber team at every position except QB. Kaep brings dimesional that Alex can't. 7 years is long enough to know Alex's first read is a check down.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #23
Dutch
The Flying Dutchman

Leatherneck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBroncosJM View Post
I like Kap but I think right around playoff time when teams have film on him he won't look so great.
So do I, but it won't take that long. I'll be interested to see how he fares against the Pats/Bilicheat. They will have 4 games of film on him by then.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #24
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

this makes me think more of the Cutler switch than the Bledsoe switch.

Definitely a make or break move for them. They were NOT winning the SB with Smith, so either way its a good move IMO
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #25
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Nah, Tony Romo will though.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote