The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
Action

Default Ronnie Hillman vs Chiefs (All 7 plays)

I'll be using this thread to show everyone what happened on all the plays he was involved in so people can have a better idea of his performance.

In some of the pictures I took, I didn't have the situation of the game because I was trying to get a better look at the formation... my fault.

When looking at the plays, you must consider the element of time. These pictures are all within SPLIT SECONDS of each other. If you see something AFTER he was tackled, it most likely wasn't there when he actually had time to get there.

He was in 7 total plays.

Last edited by Action; 11-27-2012 at 03:49 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Action

Default Play 1

Formation: 3 WRs, 1 TE, 1 RB

Ronnie Hillman lines up behind manning in a the tradition formation Broncos run almost all their plays on 1st and 2nd down on. Chiefs show a front with 4 defenders at the LOS and 2 down lineman.

Chiefs don't bring and pressure and Hillman runs up the middle and out the backfield into the flat. Manning passes elsewhere.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
Action

Default Play 2

Formation: Shotgun, 3 WRs, 1 TE, 1 RB
Defense: 4 men at the LOS, 2 down linemen, 2 LB

Hillman and Holliday are lined up in the backfield on each side of Manning. They showed this look this week.

Chiefs don't bring any extra pressure so Hillman runs out the back field up the middle and into a deeper flat. Manning eventually gets sacked on this play with 4 Chief rushers.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
Action

Default Play 3

Formation: 4 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB

Hillman and Holliday are lined up just like the play above (this play occurred right after the last play on a no huddle). They are on opposite sides for this play

Chiefs don't bring any extra pressure. Ronnie Hillman runs out the backfield and towards the middle of the field. Manning passes to Tamme for a big gain.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Action

Default Play 4

Formation: Shotgun, 3 WR, 1 RB, 1 TE

Ronnie Hillman lines up to the left of Manning in shotgun.

It's an inside handoff... this is what Hillman sees when he gets the ball.

Hillman cuts it left and has 2 defenders (Hali and Derrick Johnson) disengaging blocks that he must out run. He has an open lane here.

Hillman outruns the defenders and finishes the run strong running through the defender and finishing with a 10 yard gain.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Action

Default Play 5

Formation: 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB

Hillman lines up behind manning in a tradition formation, however Clady is lined up with his hands off the ground and outside leg out.

It's a running play to the right which is supposed to be between the tackle. Koppen gets depth but Beadles get's man handled. This is what Hillman sees when he gets the ball.

Hillman isn't even able to get to the LOS as the lineman are pushed back. Beadles is on the ground. Hillman has no holes and a free defender running at him while stuck behind the LOS. This is what he sees at the LOS.

Hillman gets stuffed. Behind the LOS.

There is obviously room outside the tackle but that wasn't the play. Coaching here might tell him to bounce it out or they're telling him to keep disciplined (most likely, I've never really seen our RBs bounce out).

He could have keep running a bit more flat behind Franklin and Tamme but he would have still gotten no where.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
Action

Default Play 6

Formation: Shotgun, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB
Defense: 2 down linemen, 2 LBs, 4 at LOS. Linebackers playing close with no depth. ALERT blitz.

Hillman is lined up in the backfield to the right of Manning and is on the lookout for a blitz.

There is a blitz and Chiefs bring 5. Ronnie reads it correctly. Ronnie Hillman picks up the free runner perfectly with a LB running at full speed towards him. Drives into the LB's chest and doesn't give up ground.

Ronnie holds up the blitzing defender and Manning gets a clean release.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

Nice thread Ronnie is very raw in everything but I can tell he is improving with each game, I think he will get a bigger role down the stretch hopefully in the passing game to get him in space. I honestly wish he'd try to bounce it outside more when the inside is stuffed up, theres a few times I watched him and I thought he could of bounced it outside for a decent play, but who knows maybe the coaches are trying to get him to take what he can get up the middle, and not risk losing yards trying to bounce it outside.

I also noticed the package with Hillman and Holliday in the same backfield pretty cool hope to see it more I am all for getting guys with speed the ball and letting them do their thing.

Last edited by KevinJames; 11-27-2012 at 03:50 PM..
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
Action

Default Play 7

Formation: 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB
Defense: 2 down linemen, 2 LB, 4 at the LOS and only 1 LB behind the LOS

Ronnie lines up behind Manning on what looks like should be a favorable matchup for the OLine and for a running play.

It's a running play and Hillman gets the handoff. This is what he sees when he gets the ball. As you can see the line is pretty scrambled.

The line doesn't give up much and this is Hillman approaching the LOS. There is an unblocked DB coming in and Ronnie decides to cut back in.

Ronnie Hillman cuts in.

Hillman is able to find a small crease inside the DB and use his momentum to get a 1 yard run. He is tackled by the DB.

Again, there wasn't much here on the play. You can say he could have tried to juke the DB and bounce out but that probably wouldn't be successful as the DB was running in with good technique. The play was obviously designed to go inside as most our running plays are.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #10
Drunken.Broncoholic

Post 6 of that was run right inside tackle you don't make a full cut back into where the pressure is coming. Run that outside and it's a gain.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #11
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

SO DISAPPOINTING
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #12
Drunken.Broncoholic

Action I appreciate the work you put in here
Old 11-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #13
Action

So hopefully this gives a better picture of how Ronnie played.

There are so many reports of his pass blocking struggles at this point, but none of it is on game film. I can't remember a time where he screwed up anything in pass blocking recently. He had another great block during the Cinci game I believe.

So if his pass blocking is a huge reason he's not playing, it must be because he's not showing it in practice.

The Broncos oline haven't been blocking too great, and I've noticed that when Ronnie Hillman gets his carries, it's usually not much to work with...not just this game.

I say Broncos need some more outside runs too but that's on McCoy and the staff.

Bunch of naysayers about Hillman but he's really not given much to work with and barely gets any carries to get into rhythm. I don't know if McCoy believes in rhythm as he did the same to Tebow last year (not calling plays to get him into rhythm).

I also read on here that Hillman runs from passing formations so his YPC should be higher... this is laughable.

The Broncos as a team have been running out of "passing formations" most the time. When is the last time you remember them running out of a heavy set at the LOS? Outside of goal line of course.

It also doesn't matter what formations the Broncos are running out of without taking into account what the defense is playing. So this logic of running out of passing formations = higher YPC is ridiculous.

Ronnie Hillman 3 carries... how can you even judge the guy? But so many here seem to be so disappointed...

The Omane
Old 11-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #14
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

I haven't yet seen the big play potential we were sold on when he was brought in... usually guys like this will show flashes even if they are raw but I haven't seen that. Just seems undersized and slow for being 185. Haven't been impressed so far.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #15
Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Post 6 of that was run right inside tackle you don't make a full cut back into where the pressure is coming. Run that outside and it's a gain.
I'm not sure this is coached... as that is obviously not the design of the play. Again, taken the element of time, and the view, the oline was pushing towards the sidelines. Look at where Franklin is when Hillman gets the ball, and then a few steps later on the next picture.

Yes, possibly in the future he'll be able to read this quicker, but the point he is that it wasn't the design of the play and I've honestly rarely seen any of our RBs bounce out. I almost want to believe they're coached to stay disciplined and behind their blockers.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #16
Nwp-Apap

Nice, I still think Hillman has a decent future with us.

That being said, I believe Moreno does as well, and seeing how much our OL was manhandled only makes Moreno's game Sunday that much more impressive..
Old 11-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #17
Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
I haven't yet seen the big play potential we were sold on when he was brought in... usually guys like this will show flashes even if they are raw but I haven't seen that. Just seems undersized and slow for being 185. Haven't been impressed so far.
Saints game he had carries of 31 and 24 yards.

Raiders game he had a 29 yard reception that was mostly on foot.

Chargers game he had carries of 21 yards and 19 yards. Also a reception of 12 yards mainly on foot.

Slow?

Ray Rice: outside of runs of 43 and 37, he's not had a run over 18 yards... and that's as being the starting RB with a lot of carries. Ronnie has had 4 carries of 18+ yards this season on 52 carries.

Ronnie is all on limited opportunities... if you watch the games you'd see he's just randomly stuck in there and the blocking isn't great most the time.

Hillman ran a 4.4... he's not as fast as a CJ or a Charles, but he's still fast.

Hillman was also highly graded for his vision which was great in college.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #18
Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwp-Apap View Post
Nice, I still think Hillman has a decent future with us.

That being said, I believe Moreno does as well, and seeing how much our OL was manhandled only makes Moreno's game Sunday that much more impressive..
Moreno's YPC got hurt by the last 3 carries he had where the defense sold out on the run when we were obviously running.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #19
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
I'm not sure this is coached... as that is obviously not the design of the play. Again, taken the element of time, and the view, the oline was pushing towards the sidelines. Look at where Franklin is when Hillman gets the ball, and then a few steps later on the next picture.

Yes, possibly in the future he'll be able to read this quicker, but the point he is that it wasn't the design of the play and I've honestly rarely seen any of our RBs bounce out. I almost want to believe they're coached to stay disciplined and behind their blockers.
I hope they aren't being coached that way. Great RBs have good vision and quick reaction to different lanes. That would digress a back if he was told not to look for different avenues. You are right none of the backs react or adapt. It's so much different watching an Arian foster or Peterson.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #20
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Moreno's YPC got hurt by the last 3 carries he had where the defense sold out on the run when we were obviously running.
Not only did they sell out, our o-line pretty much let them into the backfield unchallenged. Those were not good plays for our o-line.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #21
Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
I hope they aren't being coached that way. Great RBs have good vision and quick reaction to different lanes. That would digress a back if he was told not to look for different avenues. You are right none of the backs react or adapt. It's so much different watching an Arian foster or Peterson.
Foster runs in a scheme where he's told to pick a hole...AP is just AP.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #22
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

Great job and effort to OP.

Honestly, even if Hillman had 10 carries for 100 yards, it in no way makes it a harbinger for his career the same way a 10 carry, 10 yard game would.

The kid is a rookie playing in an offense being run by Peyton Manning. I still can't believe people are b****ing because this kid isn't winning fantasy games for them.

I'm sure any minute, someone will come in and label me a Hillman nuthugger, because, after all, reasonable thinking just isn't allowed around here.
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #23
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstoncup bronco View Post
Great job and effort to OP.

Honestly, even if Hillman had 10 carries for 100 yards, it in no way makes it a harbinger for his career the same way a 10 carry, 10 yard game would.

The kid is a rookie playing in an offense being run by Peyton Manning. I still can't believe people are b****ing because this kid isn't winning fantasy games for them.

I'm sure any minute, someone will come in and label me a Hillman nuthugger, because, after all, reasonable thinking just isn't allowed around here.
Nuthugger
Old 11-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #24
g6matty

this thread is pointless. i dont need split second analysis to know he didnt do ****.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #25
g6matty

hes young hes not ready its as simple as that. hopefully he will develope maybe he will maybe he wont. we will defenately be searching for another runningback this years draft. with our first pick i definately would love to take ogletree from georgia to fill our void at MLB but in the second i would LOVE joseph randle from ok state. he would be an excellent denver bronco.