The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 03:11 AM   #1
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Pimp.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lucas Reed
Default Denver is "the rare 8-3 team that has arguably been unlucky."

From the NY Times 5th Down blog:

Denver – 8-3 Despite Terrible Fumble Luck

The Broncos have won six straight games, and an easy remaining schedule sets them up for 12 or 13 wins. Amazingly, they’ve done this despite having terrible luck when it comes to recovering fumbles. Denver has forced 17 fumbles while coughing up 16. Once a ball is fumbled, it isn’t the better team that generally recovers the ball, it’s the team closest to the ball, and fumble recovery rates are notoriously random. Thirteen of Denver’s 16 fumbles were recovered by the defense, while the Broncos recovered only 5 of the 17 fumbles they forced. That means Denver has recovered just 24 percent (8 of 33) of the fumbles that have occurred in their games, making them as unfortunate as any team in the league. The good news for Broncos fans is that there is no reason to expect the Broncos’ poor fumble-recovery luck to continue, which makes them the rare 8-3 team that has arguably been unlucky.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...-l-contenders/

Last edited by BowlenBall; 11-27-2012 at 03:43 AM..
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2012, 03:29 AM   #2
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Super Bowl.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:59 AM   #3
Punisher
® Punisher Vs Judge Dredd

Who ya Got? ®

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

Holy Crap were unlucky
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:10 AM   #4
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
The good news for Broncos fans is that there is no reason to expect the Broncos’ poor fumble-recovery luck to continue
yeah, except they've been saying this since week 3. sometimes the coin just lands heads ten times in a row, what are you going to do?

it's also not entirely luck based. we've had people in prime position fall on the ball and not find a way to come up with it. at some point you just have to say that these guys suck at securing the ball.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:28 AM   #5
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Imagine if we had a 75% recovery rate instead.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #6
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Conversely, the Ravens are the luckiest team in the league.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #7
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

If we had played our games starting with the 16th and played to 1 (reversed our schedule ) wonder wonder what our record would be? To bad we caught Houston, NE and Atlanta early. I say we likely win 2 of the three.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
Deuce
Solid Starter

It doesn't seem like bad luck to me, does anybody else think we are just really bad at securing loose fumbles? I don't know how many times I have found myself screaming at the tv "Just fall on the damn ball!!!!" after some d lineman tries to pick up the ball and run with it and ends up tripping over his own feet and kicking it 10 yards down field.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #9
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Maybe they don't do fumble drills?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #10
Drunken.Broncoholic

Get some interns. Have those interns hold a football while shadowing the players during the week. Interns randomly fumble the ball at times throughout the week. Players have to respond and recover no matter what they are doing.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #11
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Interesting I guess ... but it's hard to quantify what this one slice of the broader, more relevant stat 'turnover ratio' means to wins and losses.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #12
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
If we had played our games starting with the 16th and played to 1 (reversed our schedule ) wonder wonder what our record would be? To bad we caught Houston, NE and Atlanta early. I say we likely win 2 of the three.
I like the fact that we lost early to teams we are likely to face in the playoffs. We weren't nearly as good as we are now, and it's always more difficult to beat a team the second time you play them.

I think that bodes well for a deep playoff run. I would like to see us somehow get to play them a Mile High.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

The thing about those games we lost, we struggled with turnovers mightily and that really tipped the game to them early. By the end of those games, we were flat out outplaying them and had just dug too deep of a hole to overcome.

Now, they are playing a little more disciplined and have seen some of the exotic defenses teams will try against Peyton. It will be that much harder to gameplan and execute those strategies against DEN in the playoffs. I would really love to get NE at DEN and repeat that last playoff loss to Brady. Need a little luck to get that, but its sure possible with their remaining schedule.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #14
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
at some point you just have to say that these guys suck at securing the ball.
No, you don't. You really don't.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...le-woes-part-1
http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...ponent-fumbles
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #15
Greatspirits
Perennial Pro-bowler

"Little Von!"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trev

Houston, Baltimore and Atlanta have all squeaked out lucky wins the past few weeks, but as thee old adage goes, good teams find ways to win and they definitely have.
Greatspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #16
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
The thing about those games we lost, we struggled with turnovers mightily and that really tipped the game to them early. By the end of those games, we were flat out outplaying them and had just dug too deep of a hole to overcome.

Now, they are playing a little more disciplined and have seen some of the exotic defenses teams will try against Peyton. It will be that much harder to gameplan and execute those strategies against DEN in the playoffs. I would really love to get NE at DEN and repeat that last playoff loss to Brady. Need a little luck to get that, but its sure possible with their remaining schedule.
I know. If we have to play NE we need to get them here. HOU I'm OK going down there because of the weather and Manning playing in front of that crowd several times. I just don't like Denver at Foxboro

Manning is a Ravens killer so it will be interesting to see how they perform there in two weeks.

Balt at home is plays like teh Balt we know. On the road not so much. Just another team IMO
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #17
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatspirits View Post
Houston, Baltimore and Atlanta have all squeaked out lucky wins the past few weeks, but as thee old adage goes, good teams find ways to win and they definitely have.
Whatever. SD just ****ing sucks.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #18
Drunken.Broncoholic

They overcome turnovers against bad to average teams and still win. It's hard to overcome turnovers against great teams. Mistake free football gets you a ring. Starting out slow in games is a problem that needs to be shored up too. In the playoffs that can hurt you. These are self inducing that can be cleaned up. They have a great chance to run the table and get far in January.

This week will be a good test. Martin with his almost 5 yards per. V Jackson's 20 yards per will test this defense real good
Old 11-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #19
fdf
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post

Football Outsiders has been on this for about four weeks. Denver has and continues to have the worst "fumble luck" statistic in the league. They believe "fumble luck" is the difference between Denver's record and the football outsider stats, which say we should have no losses or only one loss. Their position is that fumbles are bad. But there is no rhyme or reason to who recovers the fumble--that is a question of luck.
fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #20
Agamemnon

People claiming it's anything but luck are being stupid. Footballs bounce in strange directions and are notoriously hard to secure in the heat of the moment. There is no explanation for our low recovery rate other than the capricious nature of probability.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #21
CEH
Ring of Famer

The ball fumble against Sd was just bad luck
All he wasvwas trying to do was get down at the 30
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #22
Drunken.Broncoholic

The problem really isn't the lack of recovering a fumble(offense), it's the fact they fumble in the first place
Old 11-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #23
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
The problem really isn't the lack of recovering a fumble(offense), it's the fact they fumble in the first place
Actually it's both.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #24
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Actually it's both.
Well ya, but if there was no offensive fumbles there's no chance of not recovering it. Defense is another story
Old 11-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #25
Drunken.Broncoholic

I do think its luck. But what if a player is clearly the only one around the ball, tries picking it up and running before possessing it? Leonhard did that once. There's a small degree of player error that goes into it too.