The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Is Shanahan going to make it through the season?
Yes 61 83.56%
No 8 10.96%
It's Griese's fault 12 16.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2012, 06:18 AM   #151
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Sagarin currently ranks the divisions as follows:

1) NFC North
2) NFC West
3) NFC South
4) AFC North
5) NFC East
6) AFC East
7) AFC South
8) AFC West

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nfl12.htm
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #152
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by frerottenextelway View Post
They gave up the Lincoln Monument & sh_t to get RGIII, but that dude has HOF written all over him. As for Shanahan, they're in running to win arguably the toughest div in football with a rookie QB. Good for him. Hope we meet them in the Superbowl!
Dunno if RG3 is gonna be able to keep up looking as good as he does right now. D's are biting hard on the playaction and leaving him the open looks downfield (which he's converting). He has the playaction game down, real Pro playaction fakes, nice accurate throws hitting receivers in stride at all levels off of the playaction. He's a good one - accurate guy with a strong arm and legs also.

Missing their #1's for the next two years has to hurt though. They also got nailed with the Free Agent hit for next year, $18 million penalty they can't spend.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #153
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
They went to S.F. this year and embarrassed them. They'll do it again in the playoffs.
Kaeper will nick them this year.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #154
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
They also got nailed with the Free Agent hit for next year, $18 million penalty they can't spend.
Take this FWIW, but Schefter was on radio here a few weeks back and he thinks the redskins will get relief from some of that penalty.

Speculation is that since Schefter is close to Shanahan, he knows what's going on behind the scenes...

It was a BS penalty. Karma would be for the redskins to make the playoffs and knockout the Giants from the playoffs or better yet beat them out for the NFC East.
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #155
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Easy. How hard was it for Shanahan to go and get RG3. Was there many that said he isn't worth a top 5 pick?
I was responding to SoCal's post.
Well, they did give up three first round picks for him. I imagine any team could have gotten him if they would have offered more and you know what? If he stays healthy he is worth it.

The Skins two starting DEs are out for the season a long wiht other injuries but the offense is rolling. Shanahan will get one more year, I believe, unless for some reason the players do not like him then I could see him being ousted.

I think he is at the point where he has to improve every year or he is out. So He needs 7-9 or better this year and he will need to better tthan hat next year. They are a fun team to watch and RGIII is the perfect QB for Shanahan's system.

I can see why some people might think Shanahan is overrated but I do not see why people are rooting against him?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #156
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinBronco View Post
Take this FWIW, but Schefter was on radio here a few weeks back and he thinks the redskins will get relief from some of that penalty.

Speculation is that since Schefter is close to Shanahan, he knows what's going on behind the scenes...

It was a BS penalty. Karma would be for the redskins to make the playoffs and knockout the Giants from the playoffs or better yet beat them out for the NFC East.
Good. They better get serious relief. That was total bull****. The league admitted that they did not violate the CBA, its just that the NFL wanted the owners to collude during hte uncapped year to create a de facto salary cap even though there wasn't one.

Your boy Snyder should let Goodell know that it would be unfortunate if the union started getting leaked evidence of collusion, so rescind the penalty...or else.

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #157
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
If you said the best playoffs team I would agree but not this year That honor goes to SF.
I disagree. Playoffs are all about franchise Qbs and having a defense that can rush 4 and pressure the opposing teams franchise qb. NYG proved mulitple times their regular season record means nothing and they have the SB formula. SF will get beat by a legit QB.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #158
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I think you give Shanny 1 more year. Based on his past...and on RGIII. I think it would be a mistake not to.

Here are my thoughts on Shanny:

1. He takes over a mediocre Denver Squad and wins 2 Championships in 4yrs (should have been 3..Jax)
2. He tries Griese...then, signs Plummer...he goes to a AFC title game..
3. He starts over, drafts Cutler, Marshall, Scheffler, Hillis, Hixon, Kuper...and reboots
4. He gets 1.5yrs...has the #1 rated offense in the NFL...and is fired
5. He goes to WA...gets Grossman....then drafts RGIII...who is a rookie
6. At least give the guy a 3rd year with a 2nd year with RGIII
7. Give Shanny 4-5yrs with any top-tiered QB and look out!!!

***I will always believe Bowlen (dick head Joe Ellis) pulled the plug prematurely...had Shanny received 1 more draft/free agent period to improve the defense and give Cutler, Marshall, Scheffler, Hillis one more year....youch!
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #159
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
I disagree. Playoffs are all about franchise Qbs and having a defense that can rush 4 and pressure the opposing teams franchise qb. NYG proved mulitple times their regular season record means nothing and they have the SB formula. SF will get beat by a legit QB.
I said that when I thought Smith was the starter but looks like SF will go with Kaepernick. That will make them better or worse but they won't be the same. So now I don't know if I can stay with SF.

Smith did not make mistakes and has a qb rating of 100 and he likely gets benched. Ballsy move. We'll see.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #160
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
I think you give Shanny 1 more year. Based on his past...and on RGIII. I think it would be a mistake not to.

1. He takes over a mediocre Denver Squad and wins 2 Championships in 4yrs (should have been 3..Jax)
3. He starts over, drafts Cutler, Marshall, Scheffler, Hillis, Hixon, Kuper...and reboots

***I will always believe Bowlen (dick head Joe Ellis) pulled the plug prematurely...had Shanny received 1 more draft/free agent period to improve the defense and give Cutler, Marshall, Scheffler, Hillis one more year....youch!
That is a pretty good analysis. Shanahan spent 6 years after Elway left trying to find a QB then when he got one he was fired two years later. I remember hearing that Elway pissed Shanahan off because he waffled on his retirement and the longer it went the more convinced Shanahan thought he was coming back. When Elway then retired after the draft and after Rich Gannon had already signed with Oakland he was pissed. I guess he wanted Gannon. I wonder how things would have been different wiht Gannon leading the tema for 3 or 4 years after all he did lead Oakland to the SB in 2002.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #161
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:

Schefter is close to Shanny, that's for sure, but Shanny is full of BS also, just have to see what happens I guess. Wash unseating the Giants would set NY on their ears. Probably not gonna happen, but who knows?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #162
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:

Well, you forgot the McNabb fiasco, traded a 2nd rounder and a future 3rd for McNabb.

Yeesh, shanny spent 3 first round picks, two second round picks, a 3rd round pick, two FA signings for Beck and Grossman, and a 4th round pick for Kirk Cousins.

And ended up from all that with RG3, Rex Grossman, and Kirk Cousins. And no 1st round picks for the next two years. Yeesh.

Last edited by Cito Pelon; 11-26-2012 at 11:21 PM..
Old 11-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #163
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:

1. Shanny goes through defensive coordinators like **** through a goose
1. Shanny has too many subpar drafts and some really, really bad FA signings
4. Shanny goes to WA and the first thing he does is turn a top rated defense into garbage from which the skins are still struggling with

fixed. I could put more in there but you get the point.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #164
DENVERDUI55

Quote:

Add in Shanny starts defense in his last year in Denver that most of players are out of the league after the year and not on another team.

Shanny loses the real brains to his operation Gary Kubiak who has had great success without him. Shanny not so much without Kubiak.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #165
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Karma would be for the redskins to make the playoffs and knockout the Giants from the playoffs or better yet beat them out for the NFC East.
Giants will be in NFC Championship Game. Mark it down.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #166
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
...had Shanny received 1 more draft/free agent period to improve the defense...
While I understand your overall sentiment, this part I have to question. He'd been given multiple years to clean up that mess. And he did perhaps his worst job his final year in Denver. That defense was an atrocious joke.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #167
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
While I understand your overall sentiment, this part I have to question. He'd been given multiple years to clean up that mess. And he did perhaps his worst job his final year in Denver. That defense was an atrocious joke.
One more year Tony. The Mastermind only needed one more year. Word on the light rail was he had an ingenious scheme to trade out of the 1st for multiple extra picks in later rounds. Then he was going to draft 8 corners. From there, law of averages said one of them had to be good enough to learn something from Champ.

2009 wouldda been something special.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #168
DENVERDUI55

For anyone that thinks Shanny needed one more year it took him years to build this thing of beauty.

Broncos Defense
LE 60 John Engelberger, 96 Tim Crowder
LT 95 Sam Adams, 93 Antwon Burton
RT 63 Amon Gordon, 79 Marcus Thomas, 99 Alvin McKinley
RE 92 Elvis Dumervil, 94 Jarvis Moss
WLB 52 Ian Gold, 51 Wesly Mallard
MLB 55 D.J. Williams, 54 D.D. Lewis
SLB 58 Nate Webster, 53 Louis Green
LCB 24 Champ Bailey, 41 Karl Paymah, 28 Jeff Shoate
RCB 32 Dré Bly, 22 Domonique Foxworth
SS 25 Nick Ferguson, 40 Curome Cox
FS 47 John Lynch, 21 Hamza Abdullah
Old 11-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #169
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
For anyone that thinks Shanny needed one more year it took him years to build this thing of beauty.

Broncos Defense
LE 60 John Engelberger, 96 Tim Crowder
LT 95 Sam Adams, 93 Antwon Burton
RT 63 Amon Gordon, 79 Marcus Thomas, 99 Alvin McKinley
RE 92 Elvis Dumervil, 94 Jarvis Moss
WLB 52 Ian Gold, 51 Wesly Mallard
MLB 55 D.J. Williams, 54 D.D. Lewis
SLB 58 Nate Webster, 53 Louis Green
LCB 24 Champ Bailey, 41 Karl Paymah, 28 Jeff Shoate
RCB 32 Dré Bly, 22 Domonique Foxworth
SS 25 Nick Ferguson, 40 Curome Cox
FS 47 John Lynch, 21 Hamza Abdullah
As bad as you think that one was, you should go back and look at the talent he had in the 2004 and 2005 playoff years. DEN started 7 UDFA players going into INDY in 2004 and Trevor Pryce sat out like a little baby in the playoffs. He got things done on Offense, but he left little for his DC's to work with over the years except headcase DT's nicknamed IHOP
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #170
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
...this thing of beauty.
And here were the starters Shanny's last year, 2008:

LDE E Ekuban
LDT D Robertson
RDT M Thomas
RDE E Dumervil

LLB J Winborn
MLB N Webster
RLB D Williams

LCB C Bailey
RCB D Bly
SS M Manuel
FS M McCree
Old 11-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #171
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:

LDE E Ekuban
LDT D Robertson
RDT M Thomas
RDE E Dumervil

LLB J Winborn
MLB N Webster
RLB D Williams

LCB C Bailey
RCB D Bly
SS M Manuel
FS M McCree

Jeez, that was pathetic.
That right there alone, was more than enough to warrant the firing.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #172
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Giants will be in NFC Championship Game. Mark it down.

I will take that friendly wager. IMO, they get knocked out early this year.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #173
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Well, they did give up three first round picks for him. I imagine any team could have gotten him if they would have offered more and you know what? If he stays healthy he is worth it.

The Skins two starting DEs are out for the season a long wiht other injuries but the offense is rolling. Shanahan will get one more year, I believe, unless for some reason the players do not like him then I could see him being ousted.

I think he is at the point where he has to improve every year or he is out. So He needs 7-9 or better this year and he will need to better tthan hat next year. They are a fun team to watch and RGIII is the perfect QB for Shanahan's system.

I can see why some people might think Shanahan is overrated but I do not see why people are rooting against him?
I dont root against him as I hate the Cowboys and Giants. I actually liked Redskins back to when they had old Billy Kilmer. He spent a lot to get RG3 and he better find a way to improve that defense or it is Broncos circa 2008 all over again. I believe that QB is worth it and should do well if Shanny has it still for Offense. It is the other side of the ball that can kick his teeth in again and would be the reason for a firing. I do believe he deserves another year but this year better get better and next year better be near the top of the NFC. So many teams are better than his right now. He better aim for 10 wins next season or the fans will be (more) restless.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #174
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Good. They better get serious relief. That was total bull****. The league admitted that they did not violate the CBA, its just that the NFL wanted the owners to collude during hte uncapped year to create a de facto salary cap even though there wasn't one.

Your boy Snyder should let Goodell know that it would be unfortunate if the union started getting leaked evidence of collusion, so rescind the penalty...or else.
This we agree on

Hopefully, your boy shanny rides rg3 all the way to the playoffs
Old 11-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #175
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote: