The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #51
cabronco
Broncos & LA Kings fan

PFM / Kopitar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Superbowl Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Cutler never led the broncos to the playoffs.
He don't care.
cabronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #52
extralife
Ring of Famer

never liked Plummer. plenty of people see a guy who won a lot of games; I see a guy who prevented us from winning the ones that mattered.

no hard feelings, but seeing his name certainly doesn't fill me with nostalgia.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #53
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
never liked Plummer. plenty of people see a guy who won a lot of games; I see a guy who prevented us from winning the ones that mattered.

no hard feelings, but seeing his name certainly doesn't fill me with nostalgia.
Pray tell how did he prevent those wins?
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #54
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I sure liked Jake the Snake better than I did the Frown Cannon.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #55
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

So did most of the locker room.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #56
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Elway
Manning
Morton
Tripuka
Cutler
Plummer
Deberg
Griese
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #57
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
by not being very good

I mean I could show you the stat line against Pittsburgh in case you forgot, but that doesn't tell a third of it. the guy couldn't throw the ball from the pocket. at all. that's a bit of a problem.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #58
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I liked watching Plummer. The best thing about Jake to me......was, his teammates respected him! I thought that Shanny should have stuck with Plummer to finish out the year...and had him start the next year as well. I really think Plummer was solid...and Cutler could have used another year to year and a half learning. But, I think having drafted Cutler...there was no going back...Plummer didn't like it and thus the locker room was divided.

Great player...good QB.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #59
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
by not being very good

I mean I could show you the stat line against Pittsburgh in case you forgot, but that doesn't tell a third of it. the guy couldn't throw the ball from the pocket. at all. that's a bit of a problem.
I suspect you aphave selective memory.

While Jake did not have a stellar game. Having an OL that could not block for the running game, which had all year opened up the passing game with play fakes.

I remember seeing the Blitzers in the backfield sometimes before Jake had a chance to get there himself.

I remember Ben setting a record during the game for 3rd down conversions.

I remember PIT Having almost a 14 minute TOP advantage.

I remember PIT coaches completely out coaching the mastermind.

I remember Jake almost being the rushing leader that day and getting sacked and harassed all day.

I remember about the only player on O that was still trying to win the game late in the game was Jake.

Dick Leabuea kicked Mikey's ass that day and mikey had no adjustments to counter with.

But hey for you cutlet fans I'm sure you forgot some of those things.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #60
extralife
Ring of Famer

ok, I get it. the root of your shanahan hate was his benching of the pick throwing handball player. good to know.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:52 PM   #61
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

Elway is that guy that is bringing everybody back....I find it amazing that I like him better as a VP than as a QB.
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #62
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse30 View Post
Elway is that guy that is bringing everybody back....I find it amazing that I like him better as a VP than as a QB.
As exciting as John was as a player/ gunslinger I understand that sentiment as outrageous as some will say that statement of yours is.

He is certainly more Ozzie Newsome than Matt Millian
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:49 PM   #63
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
It went something like this:

Plummer was a terrible big game quarterback. I really hoped a lot out of him, but when it came to big games where we HAD to have a win, the pressure got to the guy. And it showed up in spades once he had Cutler riding on his shoulder. Plummer isn't cut out for stress. He'll tell you as much himself if you bother to read between the lines of what he says.

Last edited by Taco John; 11-26-2012 at 11:53 PM..
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:53 PM   #64
Jetland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
I liked watching Plummer. The best thing about Jake to me......was, his teammates respected him! I thought that Shanny should have stuck with Plummer to finish out the year...and had him start the next year as well. I really think Plummer was solid...and Cutler could have used another year to year and a half learning. But, I think having drafted Cutler...there was no going back...Plummer didn't like it and thus the locker room was divided.

Great player...good QB.
knowing what we now know about Jay Cutler if he had to sit out a whole year he probably would have quit the NFL and moved onto competitive sulking.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #65
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
ok, I get it. the root of your shanahan hate was his benching of the pick throwing handball player. good to know.
Not at all. My dislike for mikey the GM started in about 03 when I started looking at his pathetic personnel decisions whether it be UFA, the DAFT in his case or coaching moves.

As for that pick thrower, as you call him. ..after setting down with Kubes in the offseason before the championship run in 05. He was near the NFL record at the time for passes between picks..

He had the lowest pick number of his career and had a career year.

BTW his number of (7) picks was lower than anyone in the top 20 that year.
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...true&Submit=Go

Sounds like your jealous of a guy that walked away from the game, a very rich man with his hot girlfriend and now plays handball because he loves the sport.

But then that was how I read your post.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #66
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
It went something like this:

Plummer was a terrible big game quarterback. I really hoped a lot out of him, but when it came to big games where we HAD to have a win, the pressure got to the guy. And it showed up in spades once he had Cutler riding on his shoulder. Plummer isn't cut out for stress. He'll tell you as much himself if you bother to read between the lines of what he says.
Iirc he held the record for come back games, in the fourth quarter. Hardly something that chokers manage to do.

As for cutlet what did you expect him to do. Kubes left his buffer between Jake and mikey. When he left mikey brought in his college room mate IIRC to run a drop back passing style offense, even though the OL was not designed for it.
Mikey did not even have the guts to call Jake to tell him they were drafting cutlet, he had to learn of it from a reporter calling to get his reaction.

The guy had a career year and gets the triple whammy from his HC..

Sure fire way to build trust and a relationship.

But then Jake did retire taking one more thing form the broncos besides all the star money mikey threw at hi each time he needed cap relief.p, that would be one of their cheerleaders. Jake laughed all the way to the bank in Idaho with his wife.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:46 AM   #67
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
As for that pick thrower, as you call him. ..after setting down with Kubes in the offseason before the championship run in 05. He was near the NFL record at the time for passes between picks..

yes, jake plummer didn't throw picks for the same reason alex smith doesn't toss interceptions today (and still found a seat on the bench): he wasn't allowed to. if mike and gary put together a gameplan in which jake plummer was to drop back in the pocket and throw it 40 times a game, he would have thrown 30 picks. they maximized the one thing he was able to do (roll out, read half the field), plopped him behind the best running game in the NFL, and literally took everything else out of the playbook. hence, liability.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:26 AM   #68
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Iirc he held the record for come back games, in the fourth quarter. Hardly something that chokers manage to do.
I don't care what he did in Arizona. When he played for the Broncos, there wasn't a big game he didn't manage to choke on. Some guys have it, some guys dont. Plummer had a lot of heart, but he couldn't manage the pressure, and eventually cracked his way out of the league. I'm glad for the guy - he's got a hell of a great life now. And I'll give him some credit as well - he pulled the Broncos out of a dark place and gave people hope again, even if it was short lived.

Last edited by Taco John; 11-27-2012 at 01:28 AM..
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:23 AM   #69
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
As for Jake, he was basically the 2nd winningest QB we've had and brought excitement back to Broncos football. He'll always be a favorite. Those were some fun years.

But, this year and the next couple should be even more fun.
Not sure what games you were watching but, I was always excited watching Al Wilson, Champ, Portis, Anderson, Rod, Sharpe.

Watching a gimmick QB run around trying to complete a pass to one half of the field wasn't exciting.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:34 AM   #70
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
No way Morton is 7 on that list! You have a backup as your 3rd best QB?

1) Elway
2) Morton
3) Manning (with a bullet)
Pick one:
4) Cutler
4) SOB (mostly for the one good year he had)
4) Plummer (could be higher if he didn't quit like a loser)
The theme wasn't "Best Broncos QBs". The theme was "Favorite QBs". Morton wasn't particularly loveable....
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:14 AM   #71
Shananahan

Quote:

If I remember correctly, the only reason Plummer did not set the record for most passes or snaps without a turnover was a pre-half time Hail Mary which was intercepted. Without that play he owns it.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:03 AM   #72
Meck77

I'll have to dig through my archives one of these days and post pics of Jake's first day of training camp. Things were so dark in Denver after the Griese ere you could hardly find a fan wearing a Broncos hat on the streets. That's no BS!

All of you internet haters don't understand how bad it was.

Then in comes Jake Plummer. First day of camp the crowd erupts. The crowd suddenly has playoff aspirations. The collective chant of "Superbowl! Superbowl! Superbowl!" explodes from the crowd! Jake is pumping his arm in the air leading the crowd!

Mile High becomes magical again. Tailgating scene is rocking! Broncos are suddenly thrust into the playoff picture year after year with a climax of the AFC West Championship game.

Screw the haters. The city of Denver, the fans at the Stadium appreciated what Jake brought to our city. It was called winning!
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:34 AM   #73
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
the Orange Manes favorite quitter has returned!

I put JP on the same plane as McDaniels, Orton, Brister, Griese, etc...
Who cares...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #74
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I don't care what he did in Arizona. When he played for the Broncos, there wasn't a big game he didn't manage to choke on. Some guys have it, some guys dont. Plummer had a lot of heart, but he couldn't manage the pressure, and eventually cracked his way out of the league. I'm glad for the guy - he's got a hell of a great life now. And I'll give him some credit as well - he pulled the Broncos out of a dark place and gave people hope again, even if it was short lived.
IIRC he had a lousy winning record in AZ, and a lot of those comebacks were in DEN. Not going to look it up but if anyone wants to fine by me.

But I'm pretty sure he was getting close to JOHNs number of saves.

So beleive what you will, I'd take heart and hustle over a another Jeff George any day. That we're the choices after Gary left, whom in a lot of folks minds was really getting the job done as OC.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #75
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
I'll have to dig through my archives one of these days and post pics of Jake's first day of training camp. Things were so dark in Denver after the Griese ere you could hardly find a fan wearing a Broncos hat on the streets. That's no BS!

All of you internet haters don't understand how bad it was.

Then in comes Jake Plummer. First day of camp the crowd erupts. The crowd suddenly has playoff aspirations. The collective chant of "Superbowl! Superbowl! Superbowl!" explodes from the crowd! Jake is pumping his arm in the air leading the crowd!

Mile High becomes magical again. Tailgating scene is rocking! Broncos are suddenly thrust into the playoff picture year after year with a climax of the AFC West Championship game.

Screw the haters. The city of Denver, the fans at the Stadium appreciated what Jake brought to our city. It was called winning!
Iirc his last game with AZ was at mile high or one of the last ones. I seem to remember the announcers toward the end of the game were saying the crowd was in unison chanting Jake Jake.

It was the start of a love affair with the kid. I know during the game I was thinking this kid has heart and never quit.