The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Benching Smith - good move / bad move
Good move 28 47.46%
Bad move 31 52.54%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #51
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
You do understand that I was speaking in terms of per pass stats right? The guy has thrown the ball roughly 60% as much as Manning so of course his season totals don't compare. And I already said I don't know if he could maintain that if he threw more (I tend to think not, but no one really knows). My whole point is that for the number of times per game he's been allowed to throw he's been quite good. To dispute what I'm saying is just stupid. So of course OM posters jump at the chance to do so (with you leading the charge of stupidity as usual).
You know God damn well that most all of your football takes are deplorable. Everyone on the OM knows that as well, which is why you are often the subject of ridicule. Alex Smith has had an abortion of a career in the NFL. Any QB worth a damn would be putting up better numbers with the kind of game he has going for him on the ground and in the trenches.

As Lolcopter explained, the running game in Frisco has really opened up things for him. Kaepernick as a second-year player is just as capable of doing what Smith does and he has been in the league since he was ~ 21 years old. He is a threat on the ground and has the ability to hit their best receiver (Vernon Davis) wherever he goes on the field. The team is confident enough with the dynamics of the situation (aforementioned and a solid defense) to roll with him going forward.

Anybody with a brain in their head knew that when he was drafted, the Alex Smith days as a 49er were nearing their end. Quite unfortunate that it took a brain scrambling for that to come, but 49ers fans can be thankful that the near decade long nightmare that was a Smith led team is over. Just like all of us are thankful that Tim Tebow (your savior) is warming up the bench on the Jets.

You were saying?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #52
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
Smith couldn't make half the passes that Kaep made last week

Add in the dual threat with Kaep's legs and he's a slam dunk more legit offensive threat than check down Smith
What passes exactly did he make that Alex Smith can't make? Are you honestly claiming that a guy who is averaging 8 yards per pass only ever throws check downs?
Old 11-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #53
lolcopter

Quote:
What passes exactly did he make that Alex Smith can't make? Are you honestly claiming that a guy who is averaging 8 yards per pass only ever throws check downs?
Uh, nearly all the ones that went Vernon Davis's way? The Crabtree TD?

Smith is of the same ilk as Orton, efficient when not turning the ball over... completely pedestrian in every other manner
Old 11-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #54
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
You know God damn well that most all of your football takes are deplorable. Everyone on the OM knows that as well, which is why you are often the subject of ridicule. Alex Smith has had an abortion of a career in the NFL. Any QB worth a damn would be putting up better numbers with the kind of game he has going for him on the ground and in the trenches.

As Lolcopter explained, the running game in Frisco has really opened up things for him. Kaepernick as a second-year player is just as capable of doing what Smith does and he has been in the league since he was ~ 21 years old. He is a threat on the ground and has the ability to hit their best receiver (Vernon Davis) wherever he goes on the field. The team is confident enough with the dynamics of the situation (aforementioned and a solid defense) to roll with him going forward.

Anybody with a brain in their head knew that when he was drafted, the Alex Smith days as a 49er were nearing their end. Quite unfortunate that it took a brain scrambling for that to come, but 49ers fans can be thankful that the near decade long nightmare that was a Smith led team is over. Just like all of us are thankful that Tim Tebow (your savior) is warming up the bench on the Jets.

You were saying?
I honestly don't think you ever post anything that is rational or intelligent. The consistency you show on the matter is remarkable honestly.

Alex Smith has been extremely efficient and has been part of a lot of wins over the past two seasons (on a per pass basis--season totals are beyond his control as he doesn't call the plays). To act like that isn't true is beyond disingenuous. And to act like Kaepernick has done anything to really earn the starting job over him is laughable. Kaepernick had one good game and you fools are acting like he's a pro bowler. As usual Requiem your posts seriously make me wonder if you are retarded.

Again, in what world is a 100+ QB rating playing poorly? In what world is a 70% completion rate playing poorly? In what world is 13 touchdowns to 5 interceptions playing poorly? In Requiem's world apparently.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #55
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

I was looking at Kaepernick's career stats, and I see he was inserted in games last year as a rookie, so that should have told the team and fans he was being groomed to start as soon as possible. And I see he's played in seven games this year in spot duty, so that reinforces that Harbaugh has been grooming him to take over starting as soon as possible.

Now I guess Harbaugh is hoping he grabs the bull by the horns.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #56
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
Uh, nearly all the ones that went Vernon Davis's way? The Crabtree TD?

Smith is of the same ilk as Orton, efficient when not turning the ball over... completely pedestrian in every other manner
I won't argue that Alex Smith has ever done anything to prove he's more than an efficient game manager. What I find bizarre is the notion that Kaepernick has proven he's better than an efficient game manager. To me Kaepernick has the potential of being more of a playmaker, but that is probably going to come with a lot more mistakes as well. A team with the defense and running game of the 49ers is better off with a proven game manager than a boom or bust guy. This isn't like replacing Kyle Orton after a losing streak. This is like replacing Orton in the middle of that 6 game win streak in 2009.

Last edited by Agamemnon; 11-23-2012 at 12:40 PM..
Old 11-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #57
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
I was looking at Kaepernick's career stats, and I see he was inserted in games last year as a rookie, so that should have told the team and fans he was being groomed to start as soon as possible. And I see he's played in seven games this year in spot duty, so that reinforces that Harbaugh has been grooming him to take over starting as soon as possible.

Now I guess Harbaugh is hoping he grabs the bull by the horns.
Of course that's what it's really about. He wants to start his guy. It just seems like a very risky proposition to me.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #58
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
I honestly don't think you ever post anything that is rational or intelligent. The consistency you show on the matter is remarkable honestly.
Not worried about what you think about me, Stevie Wonder.

Quote:
Alex Smith has been extremely efficient and has been part of a lot of wins over the past two seasons (on a per pass basis--season totals are beyond his control as he doesn't call the plays). To act like that isn't true is beyond disingenuous. And to act like Kaepernick has done anything to really earn the starting job over him is laughable. Kaepernick had one good game and you fools are acting like he's a pro bowler. As usual Requiem your posts seriously make me wonder if you are retarded.

Again, in what world is a 100+ QB rating playing poorly? In what world is a 70% completion rate playing poorly? In what world is 13 touchdowns to 5 interceptions playing poorly? In Requiem's world apparently.
Blah, blah, blah. Gurgle, gurgle, gurgle.

This is what happens when armchair quarterbacks like you focus on the NFL.com stat lines instead of actually watching the games.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #59
Agamemnon

Quote:
Not worried about what you think about me, Stevie Wonder.

Blah, blah, blah. Gurgle, gurgle, gurgle.

This is what happens when armchair quarterbacks like you focus on the NFL.com stat lines instead of actually watching the games.
I've watched enough games to see that he usually helps them win. But good job keeping up your standard of dude-bro bull**** posting.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #60
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
I've watched enough games to see that he usually helps them win. But good job keeping up your standard of dude-bro bull**** posting.
Just like you watched the three Bears games and came to the conclusion that they were not a good team. You have a sixth graders understanding of the game of football. I should take screenshots of this coming weekends games on both sides of the ball and quiz you on the packages and formations we run. Bet you would fail.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #61
Agamemnon

Quote:
Just like you watched the three Bears games and came to the conclusion that they were not a good team. You have a sixth graders understanding of the game of football. I should take screenshots of this coming weekends games on both sides of the ball and quiz you on the packages and formations we run. Bet you would fail.
So you watch the Bears beat up on ****ty teams, and you think your take is better? Seriously dude you are laughable. Oh and the thought of you quizzing me makes me laugh. What does a quiz made up by a monkey look like exactly?
Old 11-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #62
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
So you watch the Bears beat up on ****ty teams, and you think your take is better? Seriously dude you are laughable. Oh and the thought of you quizzing me makes me laugh. What does a quiz made up by a monkey look like exactly?
Zeus (me) to a Cronos (you).
Old 11-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #63
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Of course that's what it's really about. He wants to start his guy. It just seems like a very risky proposition to me.
It's risky, but the team and staff had seen Kaepernick in 9 reg season games before and he'd been deliberately inserted, not as a result of injury to Smith. Everybody on the team knew Kaepernick was gonna be the starter soon. So it's not like they were unprepared for this eventuality, it's not like it was a surprise panic move.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #64
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
It's risky, but the team and staff had seen Kaepernick in 9 reg season games before and he'd been deliberately inserted, not as a result of injury to Smith. Everybody on the team knew Kaepernick was gonna be the starter soon. So it's not like they were unprepared for this eventuality, it's not like it was a surprise panic move.
That's not why it's risky. It's risky because Alex Smith has been doing exactly what a team like that needs: providing efficient, mistake-free quarterbacking to support the run game and defense. Kaepernick is almost certainly not going to provide that kind of reliability. He may make more plays (we shall see), but he will almost certainly make more mistakes as well. And ultimately, this may poison the well for any return to Smith in the future. Maybe it'll work out, but when you are playing as well as the 49ers are, this kind of risk makes no sense.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #65
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Quote:
That's not why it's risky. It's risky because Alex Smith has been doing exactly what a team like that needs: providing efficient, mistake-free quarterbacking to support the run game and defense. Kaepernick is almost certainly not going to provide that kind of reliability. He may make more plays (we shall see), but he will almost certainly make more mistakes as well. And ultimately, this may poison the well for any return to Smith in the future. Maybe it'll work out, but when you are playing as well as the 49ers are, this kind of risk makes no sense.
Good post.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #66
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Benching a QB for another one in a Super Bowl contending season usually backfires, but it's not like Alex Smith was lighting things up.

The exception of course is when Belichick benched Bledsoe for Brady and won the Superbowl in 2001.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #67
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
Benching a QB for another one in a Super Bowl contending season usually backfires, but it's not like Alex Smith was lighting things up.

The exception of course is when Belichick benched Bledsoe for Brady and won the Superbowl in 2001.
People keep saying stuff like that, but when a QB is getting 20-25 attempts per game, that's not what you should be expecting.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #68
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post

If by Belichick benching Bledsoe you mean Mo Lewis crushing Bledsoe and hurting him so Brady took over then I agree.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #69
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
If by Belichick benching Bledsoe you mean Mo Lewis crushing Bledsoe and hurting him so Brady took over then I agree.
True but he never got back on the field and the next season Bledsoe was traded Buffalo for some nice picks. A 1st and ?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #70
Cache Glades
Just Drafted

Quote:
Amen. Lol!!! Couldn't have said it better
Cache Glades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #71
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
True but he never got back on the field and the next season Bledsoe was traded Buffalo for some nice picks. A 1st and ?
Bledsoe was hurt in week two though not in the middle of the season like Smith.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #72
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Bledsoe was hurt in week two though not in the middle of the season like Smith.
That's what I'm saying. Bledsoe was healthy and able to play around mid season I believe but he never saw the field again as a Patriot.

What did Buffalo give up for him being it was an intra division trade. Musta been a bunch. I kinda remember.

Edit it was a 1st.

Last edited by baja; 11-23-2012 at 07:12 PM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #73
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I am a Niners fan. This post is hilarious.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #74
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Yeah, I see that. It's gonna be interesting to see how it plays out. I don't know if it's a good move or not. I was hoping Denver would grab Kaepernick at #36 but they traded the pick to SF, so I have a biased view about the whole thing. My interest is in how Kaepernick does vs. The Dream and Quinton Carter.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #75
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
I am a Niners fan. This post is hilarious.
Ah yes. Because fans never develop hyperbolic perceptions of their players.

Alex Smith always throws check downs = Knowshon Moreno always dances in the backfield and runs into his blockers' backs