The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Benching Smith - good move / bad move
Good move 28 47.46%
Bad move 31 52.54%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2012, 02:37 AM   #26
Natedog24
Ring of Famer

Win The Day

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I'll give Harbaugh the benefit of the doubt at this point in his coaching career. I don't think he has made a single mistake yet, literally everything he has touched has turned to gold.
Natedog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:46 AM   #27
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I don't have a problem with this. However the majority clearly does. The majority also has yet to explain why. Harbaugh was a QB, so don't tell me he doesn't understand the weight of the decision. When your QB destroys the best defense in the league on national TV, how to go back to the guy who was there before you arrived and you have no vested interest in? Someone please tell me why this was a bad decision.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #28
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

It will be interesting to see how it works out after nfl defenses get 3-4 games worth of footage. I guarantee you that he will have some issues to overcome, probably right around the time the post season rolls around. Seems like a risky move, especially when the established starter was on course to win the division.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #29
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I don't have a problem with this. However the majority clearly does. The majority also has yet to explain why. Harbaugh was a QB, so don't tell me he doesn't understand the weight of the decision. When your QB destroys the best defense in the league on national TV, how to go back to the guy who was there before you arrived and you have no vested interest in? Someone please tell me why this was a bad decision.
It's the same issue as when Shanahan started Griese over Brister or Cutler over Plummer when the team was 7 and 3.

1. It divides the locker room

2. It destroys the confidence of the guy benched

3. Team is on a playoff run and is winning why fix what isn't broken

4. Most importantly why make a big deal out of it and name the new guy your starter to the press? All he had to do was say is he was concerned about the long term health of Smith and did not want to rush him back. Everyone would except that and he'd get mad respect for it and if the new guy tore it up on the field he could squeeze another week out of the situation, going forward he could say he was playing the best player. Easy, he gets a risk free change

Last edited by baja; 11-23-2012 at 07:49 AM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #30
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Alex Smith isn't really lighting the world on fire, though. He's thrown for 13 TD's. I mean he's basically a game manager.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #31
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Alex Smith isn't really lighting the world on fire, though. He's thrown for 13 TD's. I mean he's basically a game manager.
Read point #4

Harbaugh could have accomplished the same thing without all the negatives

I see ego all over the way he handled it.

What if the kid bombs you think Smith comes back with all the confidence in the world for the playoffs.

Last edited by baja; 11-23-2012 at 08:02 AM..
Old 11-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #32
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
I explained why I disagree, on the first page. It isn't about ability its about the timing.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #33
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
It's the same issue as when Shanahan started Griese over Brister or Cutler over Plummer when the team was 7 and 3.

1. It divides the locker room

2. It destroys the confidence of the guy benched

3. Team is on a playoff run and is winning why fix what isn't broken

4. Most importantly why make a big deal out of it and name the new guy your starter to the press? All he had to do was say is he was concerned about the long term health of Smith and did not want to rush him back. Everyone would except that and he'd get mad respect for it and if the new guy tore it up on the field he could squeeze another week out of the situation, going forward he could say he was playing the best player. Easy, he gets a risk free change
Well said. The Cutler-Plummer switch ran us out of the playoffs that year. It will be interesting to watch this play out. But yeah, Harbaugh could have had it both ways by giving Kaepernick the start under the guise of player protection.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #34
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Harbaugh is probably right in that Kaepernick will be the better QB but the way he's making the transition is bad. Here's what I would have done if I was Harbaugh:

I'd let Smith continue to start, however, the moment he struggles in a game, that is, the moment he throws a few picks or turns the ball over and the Niners are losing, or in a bad situation, then I bring in Kaepernick.

With Kaepernick's performance against the bears, this would be completely justifyable. Smith would be benched simply due to his performance (or lack of performance).
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #35
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

The trouble with that idea is Kaepernick would not have the benefit of the first team reps so the playing field would against him. If Smith is deemed not ready to play for health reasons Kaepernick gets the reps. And the announcement could have waited until Thursday giving NO no time to prepare for the kid.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #36
Lomax
Solid Starter

Thanks, Weapon X. I took it.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Just Say "Know"

I see no reason why QBs can't be interchangeable. If Harbaugh deems Kaepernick ready, put the kid in. If he struggles, put Smith back in. I think concerns over the QBs confidence are overblown, as though starting Kaepernick renders Alex Smith unusable. These guys are professionals, and as long as they are collecting game checks, they have to be ready to play. Anybody who can't handle being replaced needs to retire.
Lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #37
lolcopter

Alex smith sucks so this is a good move

When you QB's best asset is "he doesn't turn the ball over" you don't have a very good QB

(See:Orton, Kyle)
Old 11-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #38
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
I see no reason why QBs can't be interchangable.
It's never worked. The old adage, when you have two starting QBs you have none. The QB is the focal point of the game. An OL learns their tendencies and preference, timing needs to developed with WR/TE's, it's just too difficult. It's why the wildcat will always be a gimmick used to surprise.

If Kaepernick is the guy he needs to stay the guy and Harbaugh better hope they don't run flat into a wall. By making the move he may very well have thought a wall was coming regardless. One other variable is they have a good defense to help cushion any stumble that may occur.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #39
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
The trouble with that idea is Kaepernick would not have the benefit of the first team reps so the playing field would against him. If Smith is deemed not ready to play for health reasons Kaepernick gets the reps. And the announcement could have waited until Thursday giving NO no time to prepare for the kid.
Not really, it's Kaepernick who needs to be prepared regardless. If he's such a great QB it won't matter, right?

right.

Last edited by Tombstone RJ; 11-23-2012 at 02:02 PM..
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #40
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I guess we'll see. I think Alex Smith is a below average QB who has benefited from a good team and good coaching. I think the head coach knows this because he drafted his replacement and tried to sign Manning. Will Kaepernick struggle as teams get more tape on him? Not anymore than Alex Smith would is my prediction.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #41
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

What happens when teams get more film on Kaep?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #42
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Dunno if it was a good move or not, but you could see it coming at some point. Smith is a meh kind of QB, then you have Kaepernick who Harbaugh traded UP for (Denver's #36). I was hoping Denver would grab Kaepernick in round 2. Gonna be interesting to me to see how it works out. Denver got The Dream (#45) and Quinton Carter (#108) out of the deal.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #43
Agamemnon

Benching one of the most efficient QB's in the league this year definitely looks funny to me. Per pass, Alex Smith has been Manning-like. I don't know if he would continue to be that good if he threw more, but this move is beyond stupid.

This is how you lose locker rooms.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #44
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Benching one of the most efficient QB's in the league this year definitely looks funny to me. Per pass, Alex Smith has been Manning-like. I don't know if he would continue to be that good if he threw more, but this move is beyond stupid.

looooooool
Old 11-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #45
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
looooooool
Are you disputing that a 104 QB rating with an 8 yard per pass average and 70% completion rate is Manning-like? He also has nearly a 3 to 1 TD/INT ratio. He's not been allowed to throw a lot, but when he's thrown he's been very good overall. Your response only reveals your ignorance on the matter.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #46
lolcopter

Quote:
Are you disputing that a 104 QB rating with an 8 yard per pass average and 70% completion rate is Manning-like? He also has nearly a 3 to 1 TD/INT ratio. He's not been allowed to throw a lot, but when he's thrown he's been very good overall. Your response only reveals your ignorance on the matter.
Well, when you have the best running game in the league based on yds per game, it's a little easy to be efficient passing the ball

Stats don't tell the whole story though. Smith couldn't dream of making the passes manning makes, let alone the ones Kaep makes for that matter. Colin single handily revived Vernon Davis's year and the should roll with the hot hand

All that being said I hope this blows up in their face and SF tanks it, because screw them
Old 11-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #47
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:

I am sure the 49ers are going to miss his less than 200 yards per game.

And the ****? Manning has twice as many completions for 20+ yards and near double the amount of 40 yard passes than Alex Turdsmith.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #48
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I am sure the 49ers are going to miss his less than 200 yards per game.

And the ****? Manning has twice as many completions for 20+ yards and near double the amount of 40 yard passes than Alex Turdsmith.
You do understand that I was speaking in terms of per pass stats right? The guy has thrown the ball roughly 60% as much as Manning so of course his season totals don't compare. And I already said I don't know if he could maintain that if he threw more (I tend to think not, but no one really knows). My whole point is that for the number of times per game he's been allowed to throw he's been quite good. To dispute what I'm saying is just stupid. So of course OM posters jump at the chance to do so (with you leading the charge of stupidity as usual).
Old 11-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #49
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
Well, when you have the best running game in the league based on yds per game, it's a little easy to be efficient passing the ball

Stats don't tell the whole story though. Smith couldn't dream of making the passes manning makes, let alone the ones Kaep makes for that matter. Colin single handily revived Vernon Davis's year and the should roll with the hot hand

All that being said I hope this blows up in their face and SF tanks it, because screw them
Alex Smith has had three or four games on par with what Kaepernick just did. It was just one game.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #50
lolcopter

Quote:
Alex Smith has had three or four games on par with what Kaepernick just did. It was just one game.
Smith couldn't make half the passes that Kaep made last week

Add in the dual threat with Kaep's legs and he's a slam dunk more legit offensive threat than check down Smith