The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #76
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
To my knowledge, Von Miller hasn't played a single down at MLB. How was he wrong?
Von's natural position isn't MLB. Moving him around would have probably meant that he couldn't play his natural position. Hence, he would be a bust (given how high he was drafted). Thank goodness that Von turned into a star...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #77
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Wow the Epic haters are out in full force.......

Poor old Epic just disappeared without a trace one day last year at about rush hour. Who knows he was probably posting on the Mane on his way home and ran into a tree or something? Just give the guy a little credit for calling it right on Miller.
i still dont get why his assessment was impressive. Its not like Von was a fourth rounder. Its like giving me credit for predicting it would be sunny outside today. And i live in Los Angeles.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #78
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Really? Ok, point out any part of Epics post that wasn't extensively covered in almost every scouting report before he was drafted.

Your love for Epic and his politics are clouding YOUR judgement.
Wow you guys are easy ......... poking the bear in the zoo can be fun .......
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #79
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

And that is why Razzano is a former scout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
Von Miller gets the dreaded Vernon Gholston comparison

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 8, 2011, 12:56 PM EST
Could Vernon Gholston become the new Mike Mamula?

In the past, any Combine workout wonder was inevitably compared to Mamula as a cautionary tale. Now its possible that any deceptively productive, potentially stiff pass rusher could be compared to Gholston.

[Miller's] got some Vernon Gholston in him, former NFL scout Dave Razzano told Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com.

Razzano spent two decades as an NFL Scout. His opinion differs sharply from those who see Miller as one of the safer picks in the draft.

Im not a big Von Miller fan, Razzano said. In looking at Big-12 tape, he does not have a motor. He doesnt chase hard. They run at him, and he doesnt fight off blockers. When he gets sacks, a lot of times hes not getting blocked. Hes a one-move guy.

Miller was a fast riser after a huge senior season, but was seen as an inconsistent performer before.

He seemed to win over most skeptics at the Senior Bowl, but clearly some doubters remain.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/03/08/11/R...99&feedID=5936
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #80
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Wow you guys are easy ......... poking the bear in the zoo can be fun .......
Right!!

DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #81
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

There's a lot of people that look really silly from this thread. Even Footsteps said we shouldn't take him at number 2 and he was advocating for him. Shanahanan and Alchemical...lol
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #82
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
There's a lot of people that look really silly from this thread. Even Footsteps said we shouldn't take him at number 2 and he was advocating for him. Shanahanan and Alchemical...lol
It's these same type of people that think they are better oc than McCoy, HC than Fox, and GM over Elway.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #83
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Loser:..... And the loser is .....bronco0608
How do you say he is the loser. That is asinine. He said he will never ever play MLB unless he is a bust. He isn't a MLB and is being played there. So he is dead on.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #84
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
I will admit to complete dopery on this one: I was advocating for Nick Fairley.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #85
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

Quote:

Poor old Epic just disappeared without a trace one day last year at about rush hour. Who knows he was probably posting on the Mane on his way home and ran into a tree or something? Just give the guy a little credit for calling it right on Miller.
He has a new account and posts (terribly) in the WRP forum.

Once Teebs was gone, he was too at least from talking about football. I tell you, trading that guy is the gift that keeps on giving.
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #86
delany
Uber Bronco

Quote:

Llama was right because he is a Texas homer. Put a player not in his home state...then lets talk over his 'analysis'.
delany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #87
delany
Uber Bronco

The person that should get respect is John Elway. People over time will forget that Von was not the slam dunk pick that people will think he was.

Everyone will say we had the 2nd pick in the draft. Von was great in college. They will say it was a no brainer pick. It really wasn't.

Beyond this thread there was also a tremendous amount of talk at the time about Von being a great player...but not for our system. There was a lot of doubt. There was a lot of other great players worthy of that pick.

Many, many, many teams would have screwed it up. John didn't.

Executive of the Year and Bronco for Life.
delany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #88
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by delany View Post
The person that should get respect is John Elway. People over time will forget that Von was not the slam dunk pick that people will think he was.

Everyone will say we had the 2nd pick in the draft. Von was great in college. They will say it was a no brainer pick. It really wasn't.

Beyond this thread there was also a tremendous amount of talk at the time about Von being a great player...but not for our system. There was a lot of doubt. There was a lot of other great players worthy of that pick.

And as I recall, Miller rose up the boards very late in the draft process, actually during the last few weeks or so before the draft. I want to say I think alot of people had him middle of the 1st round after the college season and then once the combine was over, his value really started to go up.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #89
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by delany View Post

Excellent post. rep
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #90
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
And as I recall, Miller rose up the boards very late in the draft process, actually during the last few weeks or so before the draft. I want to say I think alot of people had him middle of the 1st round after the college season and then once the combine was over, his value really started to go up.
This was spot on. Von helped his cause after season. I wanted Dareus or Peterson and glad I'm not GM. I didn't know much about Von.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #91
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
This was spot on. Von helped his cause after season. I wanted Dareus or Peterson and glad I'm not GM. I didn't know much about Von.
Ya I wanted Peterson pretty badly too and like you I didn't know much about Von and was concerned how we'd use him. Big Big kudos to Elway and company for getting him.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:32 PM   #92
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hindsight View Post
What this stupid ass front office should have done was take Von Miller with the 2nd pick and then traded up with Jacksonville to the 10th pick where they would've taken JJ Watt right before Houston. This board would have a massive freak out with giving up a 2012 1st (better chance for them at Luck), both 2011 2nds, and Tim Tebow, but it damn sure would have been worth it. Gaw, why can't I just be in charge?
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #93
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Nah, I watched A & M quite a bit in college
Von was always regarded as one of the top players in the nation and a potential top pick

If there was any "rising", it was due to the media finding out how much scouts liked him

The only concern people had about him was what role he would fit best, then when he dominated the senior bowl at LB that sealed his draft status
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #94
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post

fail
yeah, WTF Dave Razzano
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #95
Agamemnon

Many of us questioned the pick because we weren't sure he would be a good fit in a 4-3. Just because those doubts were proven wrong doesn't mean they weren't well-founded. The coaches have done an amazing job of scheming to Miller's strengths.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #96
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Many of us questioned the pick because we weren't sure he would be a good fit in a 4-3. Just because those doubts were proven wrong doesn't mean they weren't well-founded. The coaches have done an amazing job of scheming to Miller's strengths.
You sure you're not a hater? Because the past year and a half that's what you labelled people who had well founded doubts and concerns about another player.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #97
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Everybody knew that Von was going to be lights out as a pass rusher in the NFL, a lot of people thought he would go to a scheme (3-4) where he could be utilized like Demarcus Ware, etc.

What people questioned was the value at the #2 selection for a SAM linebacker in a 4-3 scheme. That is why I wasn't necessarily for the pick and was hoping Dareus would have been the call given our terrible DT depth, I also liked Patrick Peterson. We have tweaked the defense enough to have Miller getting a sizeable role with the team and he has shown that he is a Pro-Bowl player, who will be an All-Pro and if the dice roll right, a Hall of Famer.

John Fox and Co. did a terrific job with getting Von and with Elvis on the team, we have a fearsome pass-rushing duo for quite some time.

Last edited by Requiem; 11-20-2012 at 08:40 AM..
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #98
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

I have doubts about any Broncos draft pick......the draft is a crap shoot every year.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #99
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
I don't know if that makes me look silly or not, since I was just asking whether the guy could also play the middle, hardly a criticism to ask if a guy is versitile. I also said that while I preferred Peterson, I'd take Miller a few picks later. This is pretty much the same situation as the draft that had Deon Sanders and Derrick Thomas in it. Which one would you want? In retrospect it's tough to say but it probably come down to what your defense needs most at the time. In hindsight I'm now glad (obviously) that we went with Miller because he's supplied a pass rush that we havne't had before and it's changed the face of the defense, but Peterson is also a stud corner who will be in the HOF one day if he stays healthy, not to mention he has Sanders-like return ability. If the draft were held again I'd take Miller first but that's why we have these debates anyway.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #100
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

While I agree that the draft is a crap shoot, and some players look good one year only to become mediocre or worse in the next I'll take this time to say I called it correctly when it came to Von Miller.

posted by me in the following thread - "Experts" predict Broncos to select Alabama DT Dareus

I'm sure it'll happen a few times...but if we can pressure the opposing QB it won't matter cuz the ball will be thrown way before the WR makes his double move, and the result will be an "IN-COM-PLETE" or INT....which is why Von Miller has been climbing up my personal wish list. If Doom comes back to anywhere near 17.5 sacks, and we have Miller too? I'm thinking QB's will actually fear playing Broncos again.

Von Miller is a 6'3" 246 pound LB that had 178 career tackles at Texas A&M with 33 career sacks, 11 in '10... he had 17 sacks in '09. Oddly, he's never forced a fumble and only has one INT...but we need someone that can scare the QB and make him **** himself. Miller is that kind of guy.....he does however seem to fit better in a 3-4 than 4-3.

If Miller is who the Broncos covet...i say pick him a few spots higher to guarantee you get him. Unless Carolina takes him #1...we would land the best LB and possibly the best pass rusher in the draft

that maybe true....if we trade down, i hope it is true. I just think that if this miller kid is all he's hyped to be, then he sounds like an unbelievable player that could be a game changer....and the question i'm wondering is this...if we draft Dareus, is there a LB that could come close to Miller in the draft? I think no...but If we draft miller, i do think we can find a DT that can come close to Dareus

....just saying
errand is offline   Reply With Quote