The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #251
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Fox also deserves a ton of credit for this defense.
Why do you say that. Traditionally he lets his coordinators coach.

Don't think he has a major input for personal.

But he gets my vote for coach of the year for holding it all together.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #252
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post

What makes you say that Fox doesn't get a lot of input on personel, especially on defense? You think that it's just a coincidence that we have so many assistant coaches that used to work under him in Carolina? You think Elway is pulling the trigger on players--especially defensive--without checking with him?

Fox is a defensive coach. He has a lot of practice at building a defense and a staff to accomplish that. If you really think that he just sits back and has no influence on the players, the plan, or the mindset, I think you would be mistaken. This defense has been improving since the minute he walked in the door. He's the constant.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #253
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:

Keep in mind he was instrumental from his prior working history in getting JDR to come to Denver when he could have easily retired and spent more time with his family watching his kids grow up etc....
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #254
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Keep in mind he was instrumental from his prior working history in getting JDR to come to Denver when he could have easily retired and spent more time with his family watching his kids grow up etc....
Not sure what he is making here but the contract he was was on when he was fired, still had $5,000,000.00 left on it.

I'm guessing your correct he could have at least taken it easy and not worked, but I'll bet that when John F called he just could not say know.

The article also said he enjoys being on the field with his guys more than the other parts othe HC resposiblilities.

I also gathered that IF he moves on again it will be forthe perfect job. Not just the first thing that jumps up. ..

Let hope that is a long time and he is able to train his replacement to take over and keep things moving forward.

Remember that Kubes turned down opportunities a couple of time waiting to go back home to HOU.

Someone said that fox had lots to do with the D. Absolutely he has so far not only in those players taken (John E apparently listens well and asks great questions of his staff) but who he has got on his staff. So while he may not be giving little tips to the players the overall scheme is his along with JDR.

If it were not for Fox JDR most likely would be a talking head on TV. Therefore getting his FULL contract value from JAX. We probably got a deal and JaX pays the difference in that 5 mil.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #255
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
What makes you say that Fox doesn't get a lot of input on personel, especially on defense? You think that it's just a coincidence that we have so many assistant coaches that used to work under him in Carolina? You think Elway is pulling the trigger on players--especially defensive--without checking with him?

Fox is a defensive coach. He has a lot of practice at building a defense and a staff to accomplish that. If you really think that he just sits back and has no influence on the players, the plan, or the mindset, I think you would be mistaken. This defense has been improving since the minute he walked in the door. He's the constant.
By personal I meant players. Sorry not clear. I expect he was allowed to hire all his assistants. I read some where that Elway is listening to his scouting people and making decisions accordingly.

Im sure Fox signs off on them but I doubt he finds them, players that is.

Last edited by baja; 11-17-2012 at 07:52 PM..
Old 11-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #256
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
See post 255
Old 11-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #257
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
By personal I meant players. Sorry not clear. I expect he was allowed to hire all his assistants. I read some where that Elway is listening to his scouting people and making decisions accordingly.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a single coach in the league who actually finds players.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #258
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a single coach in the league who actually finds players.

Mike Shanahan & Josh McDaniels
Old 11-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #259
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Mike Shanahan & Josh McDaniels
Nope both relied on their scouts like everyone else.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #260
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
Nope both relied on their scouts like everyone else.
Josh went after his boys in NE

There is a story going around that Mike would watch highlight clips of players and draft them without even talking with them, saying to his staff when warned about said player, "He has never been coached by me".
Old 11-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #261
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:

Actually all HCs do. Of course except only mikey scouts college players .. Or totally overrides their decisions based on his own innate ability to know they will be the best only if he is their coach..

Most allow the scouting department to do their jobs, after giving them direction on what their criteria is..
  1. Speed
  2. smarts
  3. coach able
  4. size
  5. ability to put more weight on.
  6. how they play.
  7. what their coaches as far back as HS have to say about them.
  8. if they have to play a certain position or multiple ones.
I'd guess all of those are near the top of the grading list with probably another hundred other things to grade them on.

After they are all graded the position coaches probably watch film with the scouts.. their recommendations are then given to Coordinators and HC who all discuss it with the GM in this case Elway..
Old 11-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #262
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Josh went after his boys in NE

There is a story going around that Mike would watch highlight clips of players and draft them without even talking with them, saying to his staff when warned about said player, "He has never been coached by me".
As far as Josh is concerned..

IIRC mikey did the same thing going after players he had coached or had on his team when he was a coordinator or his coordinators knew them.... TWO jump out immediately Eddie Mc and Romo.. I'm sure there were others..

They wanted players that understood them and their schemes they were putting together..

I do not understand why anyone would have a problem with that..

For example:
Why try to teach a hard headed QB your playbook when you can bring one in that already knows it and can (like Manning is doing) be an on the field coach because 10 other players need to learn it..

It Makes the transition so much easier than teaching the coaches, then the QB and then all the rest on O..

Cassell flourished with the playbook when Brady went down, does anyone think he would not have done so in DEN?

Does anyone really think that Wolf would have been John E first choice this year, that was all Fox and JDR..

Yeah I know few will get it because they hate NE and anything to do with it.. Yada Yada Yada

Yes the story about mikey is true,, the supreme EGO..
Old 11-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #263
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

How Jack Del Rio's defense shutdown the deadbolts:

Punt
Punt
Punt
Punt
Interception
Punt
Punt
Blocked Punt
Punt
Punt
Punt
Fumble
Touchdown
Interception
Touchdown
End of Game

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #264
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...r-recent-surge

DENVER -- For all the attention Denver gets because of quarterback Peyton Manning -- and rightly so -- it's about time someone notices what's happening with the Broncos' defense. And what's happening is that it's shutting down opponent after opponent, with three of its last six victories over opponents who couldn't score more than 14 points. One of them was New Orleans, and you see what the Saints have done since Denver buried them.

"I think we woke them up," said Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey. So do I. But somebody should wake up to a Denver defense that stuffed San Diego on 11 of its first 12 third downs Sunday, held the Chargers to 54 first-half yards and forced eight Mike Scifres' punts -- in one half.

"I think it's the best Denver defense I've seen since I've been playing," quarterback Philip Rivers said afterward. "I don't know, just coming off the field I'd say it's as good a group as they've had because they can rush you with four down linemen, can play coverage and mix pressure."

Rivers should know. He was sacked four times and intercepted twice. He also fumbled three times, with one of them lost, and get used to it. But the Broncos can do that to you. This is a defense that had a run of 26 consecutive third-down stops ended Sunday when the Chargers finally hit after 11 misses in a row. That streak, which includes the past three games, is the longest in the NFL in 10 years and merely another reason to put the Broncos at or near the top of the AFC.

2. Those three sacks do more than push Denver's Von Miller to 13 for the season; they have him in the race for Defensive Player of the Year with J.J. Watt and Charles Tillman ... and the gap is closing.
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #265
Drunken.Broncoholic

My favorite addition in the offseason behind Manning. JDR hopefully stays for a few years.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #266
pricejj
jungle

Amazing what a difference a real coordinator makes (thanks JDR). Meanwhile Dennis Allen's Defense, in Oakland, is last in the NFL.

but don't forget...

It is beginning to appear that we may be witnessing one of the greatest seasons by a Defensive player ever. Von Miller is picking up the sack pace and displaying absolute domination. He is on pace for 21 sacks, after starting the year a little slow.

If Miller has a big game against the Chiefs...he will be on pace to break the NFL single-season sack record.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #267
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Amazing what a difference a real coordinator makes (thanks JDR). Meanwhile Dennis Allen's Defense, in Oakland, is last in the NFL.

but don't forget...

It is beginning to appear that we may be witnessing one of the greatest seasons by a Defensive player ever. Von Miller is picking up the sack pace and displaying absolute domination. He is on pace for 21 sacks, after starting the year a little slow.

If Miller has a big game against the Chiefs...he will be on pace to break the NFL single-season sack record.
No sophomore slump for him. Dude is lethal
Old 11-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #268
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

The last time Fox and JDR hooked up they messed around about won a SB.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:45 AM   #269
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

This defense has 26 three and outs so far this season.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:46 AM   #270
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
The last time Fox and JDR hooked up they messed around about won a SB.
Not quite....Del Rio was in Jacksonville during the Carolina SB run. He was the DC for Fox the previous year.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:22 AM   #271
CEH
Ring of Famer

Scored 301 points (30.1/g), 2nd of 32 in the NFL.
Allowed 212 points (21.2/g), 11th.
Differential of 89 points (8.9/g), 4th.

Last year we were also in the mist of a 5 game winning streak .

Anyone see a difference between last year and this year. Last year's was cute and fun during but this year's is down right dominate.

I guess this is what Elway had in mind when he said he wanted to compete for Super Bowls
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #272
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

The Broncos Defense on Sunday had SEVEN three and out vs the Ravens, most by any team this season.

Joe Flacco's QBR for the game 0.4!

Old 12-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #273
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that JDR doesn't go anywhere after this season. I don't hold out much hope for it, though. There are going to be a lot of openings.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #274
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that JDR doesn't go anywhere after this season. I don't hold out much hope for it, though. There are going to be a lot of openings.

In a meeting with the Broncos on March 9 the four-time league MVP turned to coach John Fox's two chief aides, offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio, and inquired, "What about you guys? You one and done?" Meaning: Will you take the first head-coaching offer you get if we have success here in 2012?

The question surprised both men. Del Rio, fired as the Jaguars' coach three months earlier, said all he wanted to do was get back to hand-on coaching and away from the politics of the top job. McCoy said he turned down one head-coaching interview last year because it didn't feel right; he said he'd leave only for the right job.

http://cnnsi.printthis.clickability....6623/index.htm

McCoy will be elsewhere in 2013.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #275
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
The Broncos Defense on Sunday had SEVEN three and out vs the Ravens, most by any team this season.

Joe Flacco's QBR for the game 0.4!

actually seemed to remember that they only made 1 of 12 3rd down conversions..