The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #26
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,530

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Our TE play on defense leaves a lot to be desired.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #27
ScottXray
Opinionated A******
 
ScottXray's Avatar
 
We will NOT lose!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: PDX (Portland OR)
Posts: 5,341

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER
Default

Biggest worry for me is the poor run game. We have been trending downward over the last 3 games and McGahees fumbles aren't helping. Secure the rock. And try some toss-sweeps to get the youngun to the outside, especially to the right side, as Clady doesn't do well on sweeps. Beadles is doing well on those types of plays.

Kuper will help when back, but we need to punch over those 3rd and shorts, so put Green in on Two TE sets when its a run called.

Play action more on 1st down also would help.

Like others I'd like to see a complete game without turning it over.

This week would be a good time to start.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #28
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,530

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

The Pats have killer TEs, and I don't see us getting past the Pats until we get a mike that can cover.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #29
baja
Elite Sissie
 
baja's Avatar
 
Because

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,682

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottXray View Post
Biggest worry for me is the poor run game. We have been trending downward over the last 3 games and McGahees fumbles aren't helping. Secure the rock. And try some toss-sweeps to get the youngun to the outside, especially to the right side, as Clady doesn't do well on sweeps. Beadles is doing well on those types of plays.

Kuper will help when back, but we need to punch over those 3rd and shorts, so put Green in on Two TE sets when its a run called.

Play action more on 1st down also would help.

Like others I'd like to see a complete game without turning it over.

This week would be a good time to start.
I too am concerned about the running game.

I may be the only guy on this board that would like to see KM get another shot.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #30
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser
 
Bronco Boy's Avatar
 
Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York. **** you too.
Posts: 2,004

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Ask Peyton Manning if he needs a running game.
Not sure how this is a good argument. How can I ask him? Even if I did have him on speed dial, obviously the diplomatic answer is of course every team needs a running game. The reality, however, is that a good D and a good passing offense is what's needed to win Super Bowls. Having a good run game, while nice, really doesn't have much effect on long term success deep into the playoffs.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #31
baja
Elite Sissie
 
baja's Avatar
 
Because

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,682

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Boy View Post
Not sure how this is a good argument. How can I ask him? Even if I did have him on speed dial, obviously the diplomatic answer is of course every team needs a running game. The reality, however, is that a good D and a good passing offense is what's needed to win Super Bowls. Having a good run game, while nice, really doesn't have much effect on long term success deep into the playoffs.
OK listen to what he says here about how important the running game is;

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=108743
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #32
baja
Elite Sissie
 
baja's Avatar
 
Because

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,682

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies
Default

What is the number one coach speak line?

'"You have to be able to run the football to win in this league"
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #33
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser
 
Bronco Boy's Avatar
 
Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York. **** you too.
Posts: 2,004

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
OK listen to what he says here about how important the running game is;

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=108743
He says you need 3 or 4 yard runs to set up the play action. Pretty sure we are averaging somewhere around that. So why do we need to do it better?
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #34
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser
 
Bronco Boy's Avatar
 
Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York. **** you too.
Posts: 2,004

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
What is the number one coach speak line?

'"You have to be able to run the football to win in this league"
That's a cool story, but it couldn't be further from the truth. The undefeated Patriots team of 2007 didn't even have a top 10 run offense I don't believe.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #35
baja
Elite Sissie
 
baja's Avatar
 
Because

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,682

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Boy View Post
He says you need 3 or 4 yard runs to set up the play action. Pretty sure we are averaging somewhere around that. So why do we need to do it better?
You said we didn't need a running game.

I said we do and so did Manning

4 yards a carry is enough of a running game.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #36
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser
 
Bronco Boy's Avatar
 
Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York. **** you too.
Posts: 2,004

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
You said we didn't need a running game.

I said we do and so did Manning

4 yards a carry is enough of a running game.
So we are at 3.8 now. You're saying we need to get 0.2 better? Is this really your argument
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #37
baja
Elite Sissie
 
baja's Avatar
 
Because

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,682

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Boy View Post
So we are at 3.8 now. You're saying we need to get 0.2 better? Is this really your argument
No the opponent needs to know we have the ability to run the football because if they don't they will see us as one demential and rush Manning every play.

Play action, the forte of Manning, will not work if we do not have the thread of a running game.

I thought everyone knew this.

There really isn't anything more to say about this

Last edited by baja; 11-15-2012 at 09:47 PM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #38
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser
 
Bronco Boy's Avatar
 
Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York. **** you too.
Posts: 2,004

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
No the opponent needs to know we have the ability to run the football because if they don't they will see us as one demential and rush Manning every play.

I thought everyone knew this.
We have the ability to run at 3.8 a clip which is just about good enough according to you. Giants only ran at 3.5 clip last year and managed to have a pretty successful season.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #39
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,076

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Well the coaches and Manning will say we can do EVERYTHING a little better, lol


Things are going good now, we have definitely improved. But I hope the team continues to improve in all areas.

We haven't blocked a punt yet so I'd like to see that
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #40
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Boy View Post
That's a cool story, but it couldn't be further from the truth. The undefeated Patriots team of 2007 didn't even have a top 10 run offense I don't believe.
The Patriots averaged 4.1 ypc in 2007.

Yes, I do think this team needs to be running at a 4.0 ypc clip to win the SuperBowl. It's a good goal, and a healthy number. A successful running game would take a lot of pressure off of Manning.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #41
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 8,763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Well the coaches and Manning will say we can do EVERYTHING a little better, lol


Things are going good now, we have definitely improved. But I hope the team continues to improve in all areas.

We haven't blocked a punt yet so I'd like to see that
We do, however, lead the league in punt coverage.

The good news just doesn't stop.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #42
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,355

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
The Patriots averaged 4.1 ypc in 2007.

Yes, I do think this team needs to be running at a 4.0 ypc clip to win the SuperBowl. It's a good goal, and a healthy number. A successful running game would take a lot of pressure off of Manning.
Luckily, McGahee is averaging over 4ypc.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #43
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,772

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Archie Manning said the reason for Peyton's success is because of our running game. This was in the new SI magazine so I can't prove it.
I think the running game clearly can improve but, I don't think it's to a level where it is not effective.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #44
baja
Elite Sissie
 
baja's Avatar
 
Because

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,682

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies
Default

......and that is why we run on first down
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:26 AM   #45
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser
 
Bronco Boy's Avatar
 
Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York. **** you too.
Posts: 2,004

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
The Patriots averaged 4.1 ypc in 2007.

Yes, I do think this team needs to be running at a 4.0 ypc clip to win the SuperBowl. It's a good goal, and a healthy number. A successful running game would take a lot of pressure off of Manning.
You may think it, but it's not true. 3.5 is plenty. You get 3.5 on every run and the team would never need to punt.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #46
rmsanger
I support Missouri cops
 
rmsanger's Avatar
 
Another one bites the dust!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,946

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I think we know our D weaknesses vs. the top teams. Against the Pats we must cover two healthy TEs (Gronk/Hern). Against the Texans & Ravens we must slow down their run game. The Steelers may have a good shot at us if Roth, Troy, and Mende are all healthy.

On offense we need a more consistent running game that picks up 1st downs in 3rd and short. We also need to sustain drives and score touchdowns early.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:26 AM.


Denver Broncos