The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Default Ready! Set! Rush!

The only weakness I see on the Broncos this year, is the ability to pick up 1st downs rushing the ball. McGahee is great, but I want to see Hillman step up as a solid and explosive #2 option. McGahee is on pace for about 285 carries...which is a bunch for a 31-year-old RB. The Colts leaned heavily on Dominique Rhodes to win the SuperBowl in 2007. I have always thought that if the Broncos can get at least 4.0 ypc, then we have a good chance to pick up first downs, get to the playoffs, and win the Superbowl. Where do we sit now?

2012 - Broncos, 3.8 (26th)

Where do we rate historically?

Past 10 SuperBowl Champion rushing statistics:
2011 - Giants, 3.5 ypc (32nd)
2010 - Packers, 3.8 ypc (25th)
2009 - Saints, 4.5 ypc (7th)
2008 - Steelers, 3.7 ypc (29th)
2007 - Giants, 4.6 ypc (4th)
2006 - Colts, 4.0 ypc (16th)
2005 - Steelesr, 4.0 ypc (12th)
2004 - Patriots, 4.1 ypc (18th)
2003 - Patriots, 3.4 ypc (30th)
2002 - Buccaneers, 3.8 (28th)

Average = 3.94 ypc (20th)

Time to step it up, and boost run production!

Come on Hillman, you can do it!
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
Nwp-Apap

McGahee and his league leading fumbles are at fault as well. As well as having the 24th best YPC amongst NFL RBs. He's having a poor year.

He is the starter, he is expected to do well. He himself said that once a QB change was made it would make things easier for him, he needs to back up his words and step it up.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

I can live with 4.2 YPC...McGahee is showing up big-time in the passing game (on pace for 45 catches).

The fumbles are drive-killing whackness...but can be corrected. Otherwise, the dude is beasting. The more you use him, the more he will get worn down. Hillman needs to emerge.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
prunch
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Gotta put some of this on the OLine too. When I watch McGahee, I don't see him missing much in the way of lost yardage.
prunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Seems McGahee has lost a step from last season. He's sometimes hesitant at the line and he just doesn't have the agility to stop and go like that. When he gets a full head of steam he's pretty intimidating, but ironically doesn't seem to do well in short yardage obvious running situations.

Definately RB, is one of the weakest spots on the roster currently.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

I think we will see KM activated this week and he will get some carries. Probably see Doom inactive.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

I think we will see KM activated this week and he will get some carries. Probably see Doom inactive.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
yakyakyuk
Just Drafted

I think WM needs a "shot across the bow" about his fumbling - so welcome KM getting some carries. Wish we had a better alternative.

We need something different on 3rd and short - recent weeks we have been stuffed at least once. What about Gronkowski? Maybe he can help - either block or carry.
yakyakyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #9
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Moreno in no way shape or form should ever be suiting up for this team again.

Solution to convert 3rd and short is to pass. Trust Manning to find a receiver in the flat and convert, or hell, take a shot deep. I'd rather see an incomplete deep pass attempt than watch McGahee get stuffed at the los dancing around again.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
CEH
Ring of Famer

So the #3 offense in the NFL is not good enough to win the Super Bowl?

Not worried at all. Yes everyone would like to be better at something but Denver is just fine running the ball right now. The fumbles are another issue but they have enough run game right now to beat someone in the Super Bowl

It's still about the QB come playoff time.

Last edited by CEH; 11-15-2012 at 03:24 PM..
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #11
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

I know people like to bust his balls this year but, something that goes unnoticed is his receptions for first downs. He has another 9 catches for first downs already this year. Last year he had 2. Catches and runs for first downs last year total was 54. This years total is 49 through 9 games He is on pace for career high in catches and receiving yards as well. Lots of work for the 31 year old back in a new fast pace O. Fumbles aside he is playing damn near the best football in his career from a stat stand point
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #12
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

And to think that we could have had Douglas Martin, but settled for a loner from a trailer park.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #13
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyakyuk View Post
I think WM needs a "shot across the bow" about his fumbling - so welcome KM getting some carries. Wish we had a better alternative.

We need something different on 3rd and short - recent weeks we have been stuffed at least once. What about Gronkowski? Maybe he can help - either block or carry.
Gronk is 5th in the voting for the Pro Bowl. Putting him on the field may hurt his ranking.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #14
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
Moreno in no way shape or form should ever be suiting up for this team again.

Solution to convert 3rd and short is to pass. Trust Manning to find a receiver in the flat and convert, or hell, take a shot deep. I'd rather see an incomplete deep pass attempt than watch McGahee get stuffed at the los dancing around again.
Willis McGahee and dancing around do not belong in the same sentence
Old 11-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #15
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Boy View Post
Gronk is 5th in the voting for the Pro Bowl. Putting him on the field may hurt his ranking.
That's only because only 5 AFC teams carry a fullback.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #16
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

ah all the absolutes from the arm chair GMs/HCs..

Think I will allow the real OC on teh team to make those decisions Manning has not failed us so far..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #17
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
ah all the absolutes from the arm chair GMs/HCs..

Think I will allow the real OC on teh team to make those decisions Manning has not failed us so far..
Well there were those 3 times...
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #18
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
And to think that we could have had Douglas Martin, but settled for a loner from a trailer park.
I thought people were crying for l david. Hind sight is so 20/20 for skme folks
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #19
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
So the #3 offense in the NFL is not good enough to win the Super Bowl?
It wasn't enough for Peyton 3 years ago. One drive in the 2nd half of that SuperBowl, the Colts tried to run some clock, and desperately pick up a first down with 3 straight runs...couldn't do it. They averaged 3.5 ypc that year, and didn't get the job done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I know people like to bust his balls this year but, something that goes unnoticed is his receptions for first downs. He has another 9 catches for first downs already this year. Last year he had 2. Catches and runs for first downs last year total was 54. This years total is 49 through 9 games He is on pace for career high in catches and receiving yards as well. Lots of work for the 31 year old back in a new fast pace O. Fumbles aside he is playing damn near the best football in his career from a stat stand point
This might be a good time for me to mention that I predicted McGahee would get 45 catches this year before the season started, and was laughed off the board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
1. Where the hell have you been?
2. Wolfe should have been credited with 0.5 sack a couple games ago that Dumervil got full credit for. Wolfe also got robbed of a sack, on a questionable offsides call on Dumervil. He should have 4.5 sacks. That would put him on pace for about 8 this year. Not too shabby for a trailer park loner eh? As it stands, he's on pace for 50 tackles, and 6 sacks...which is good enough for me and will make him a strong candidate for DROY.

Last edited by pricejj; 11-15-2012 at 09:42 PM..
Old 11-16-2012, 12:44 AM   #20
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
It wasn't enough for Peyton 3 years ago. One drive in the 2nd half of that SuperBowl, the Colts tried to run some clock, and desperately pick up a first down with 3 straight runs...couldn't do it. They averaged 3.5 ypc that year, and didn't get the job done.

Based on your average of 3.5 ypc running it 3 straight times should net you a first down everytime so 3.86 should do the same.

What average ypc do you need to run it 3 straight times to get a first down?

and how many teams run it 3 straight times in the NFL and of those that do how many pick up a 1st down? I bet it's a very low 1st down rate no matter what your yards per carry for the season is

Running the ball for 3.86 yards a clip is not optimal but its good enough of a run game to do what you are trying to do on offense. Pound the ball to set up the play action and later on in the game break off a couple bigger runs

See Car videos of Manning telling them why they need to run the ball

Sticking with the run is really the better route then to look at ypc

28 carries for 110 (< 4 yards per carry) will win you alot of Super Bowls and in the Colts lost to the Saints in the SB they averaged 5+ ypc

Last edited by CEH; 11-16-2012 at 12:54 AM..
Old 11-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #21
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Based on your average of 3.5 ypc running it 3 straight times should net you a first down everytime so 3.86 should do the same.

What average ypc do you need to run it 3 straight times to get a first down?

and how many teams run it 3 straight times in the NFL and of those that do how many pick up a 1st down? I bet it's a very low 1st down rate no matter what your yards per carry for the season is

Running the ball for 3.86 yards a clip is not optimal but its good enough of a run game to do what you are trying to do on offense. Pound the ball to set up the play action and later on in the game break off a couple bigger runs

See Car videos of Manning telling them why they need to run the ball

Sticking with the run is really the better route then to look at ypc

28 carries for 110 (< 4 yards per carry) will win you alot of Super Bowls and in the Colts lost to the Saints in the SB they averaged 5+ ypc
...but the Colts couldn't run the ball when they had too.

Do you think the Broncos could pick up a first down rushing the ball if it's 3rd and 3? 3rd and 2? 3rd and 1?

I don't, and there is ample evidence to prove that I'm right.

The key is keeping drives alive. Anybody can average 3.8 ypc if you only run the ball to keep the Defense honest. But can you run the ball when the Defense is expecting run? The current answer is "NO".
Old 11-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #22
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:

This might be a good time for me to mention that I predicted McGahee would get 45 catches this year before the season started, and was laughed off the board.

2. Wolfe should have been credited with 0.5 sack a couple games ago that Dumervil got full credit for. Wolfe also got robbed of a sack, on a questionable offsides call on Dumervil. He should have 4.5 sacks. That would put him on pace for about 8 this year. Not too shabby for a trailer park loner eh? As it stands, he's on pace for 50 tackles, and 6 sacks...which is good enough for me and will make him a strong candidate for DROY.
I believe you predicted Moreno to have about that many too. How is that working out?
Old 11-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #23
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
(A) Banned. (B) Wolfe has done a pretty solid job this year for a rookie. My comment was in jest. (C) To Broncos_OTM -- people wanted Lavonte David where we selected Osweiler.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #24
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:

Do you think the Broncos could pick up a first down rushing the ball if it's 3rd and 3? 3rd and 2? 3rd and 1?

The key is keeping drives alive. Anybody can average 3.8 ypc if you only run the ball to keep the Defense honest. But can you run the ball when the Defense is expecting run? The current answer is "NO".
McGahee is 7th in rushing first downs.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #25
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:

And your premise of getting to 4.0 ypc up from 3.86 ypc is some sort of magic number that will solve the Broncos short yardage situations?

OK get Elway on the phone you have unlocked the secret to winning the Super Bowl