The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Line protecting Manning at league-leading pace

Line protecting Manning at league-leading pace

By EDDIE PELLS (AP National Writer) | The Associated Press – 17 hours ago

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -- It's one thing to block for a quarterback. It's quite another when that quarterback is Peyton Manning, the NFL version of a national treasure.

As soon as the Broncos signed Manning in the offseason, the stakes for the Denver offensive linemen rose considerably. For sure, nobody wants to be the guy who gives up a sack, and in this case, nobody wants to be the guy who gives up the hit that could do serious damage to their quarterback's surgically repaired neck.

''I don't know if you can say it's added pressure,'' offensive line coach Dave Magazu said. ''I think they respect the fact of who we have back there. If their job is to protect you as a quarterback back there, I believe they would put forth their best effort.''

So far, all is going well for Manning and his new line.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/line-pr...3478--nfl.html

Last edited by JCMElway; 11-16-2012 at 07:14 AM..
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
The 2008 team, with Jay Cutler at quarterback, allowed only 12
He might get sacked 12 times in a game with the Bears line. Think he misses Shanny? Bet he does. I thought at the time Shanny was finally turning the corner but that D OMG
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
Drunken.Broncoholic

But I was told last year that this line was garbage and couldn't protect the QB? Could it be subtracting Walton? Changing QB? PEDs? Contract years? I'm gonna go with changing QBs

That 2008 Line was incredible. Think they were least penalized too. Clady and Harris were monsters
Old 11-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Cutlet saved his own bacon much of the time running for his life. It was not because those OL were stellar at all in pass protect. ESP jalopy when they changed briefly to pocket drop back in 06 after kubes left for HOU.

That was a real fubar at best. Think Mikey wanted Jake out so bad after he got his new toy that it was instituted but after seeing that the OL flat was not big enough to power pas block they moved to roll out more often.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
Cutlet saved his own bacon much of the time running for his life..

So he's not running for his life in Chicago now? He's running for his life there yet getting sacked way more times than 12 over last couple years
Old 11-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
But I was told last year that this line was garbage and couldn't protect the QB? Could it be subtracting Walton? Changing QB? PEDs? Contract years? I'm gonna go with changing QBs

That 2008 Line was incredible. Think they were least penalized too. Clady and Harris were monsters
Walton was playing at a very high level when he went down.
You have to remember that first year under Josh their OL coach was crap. The second year they had no offseason under a new scheme.
Nor did he or Beadles have any weight training or direction because of the lockout.

Having a real pro OL coach is huge in the development of young players.

I expect them to be just that much better come next year with yet another year of conditioning and weight training.

Is there a difference between orton /tebow and Manning. Light years.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Walton was playing at a very high level when he went down.
You have to remember that first year under Josh their OL coach was crap. The second year they had no offseason under a new scheme.
Nor did he or Beadles have any weight training or direction because of the lockout.

Having a real pro OL coach is huge in the development of young players.

I expect them to be just that much better come next year with yet another year of conditioning and weight training.

Is there a difference between orton /tebow and Manning. Light years.

They need to make sure this Oline sticks together. Hopefully this doesn't detour Walton's progress. Koppens long in the tooth ya? Will be interesting to see how the clady contract plays out. Being at the top of the league is ammo for his agent
Old 11-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Let me add that the longer guys play next to each other the more trust is built up. They no longer have to think what the guy next to him is going to do in each situation, they know and that split second they use to think about it is being used instead to react automatically.

That is huge at the nfl level. Something you could get away with in college because the guy across from you was not at the level they see every game.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Kuper practiced yesterday, limited but did practice.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:

Wasn't that the year Clady gave up .5 sack and Harris 1 sack. Not to make this a Harris topic, but I thought he was a great pick. It was unfortunate his back problems kept him from having a very good career.
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #11
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Kuper practiced yesterday, limited but did practice.
Ya that was great to hear. Hopefully they aren't pushing too fast. There's some bad luck with players trying to come back too early
Old 11-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #12
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
Wasn't that the year Clady gave up .5 sack and Harris 1 sack. Not to make this a Harris topic, but I thought he was a great pick. It was unfortunate his back problems kept him from having a very good career.
Ya he started off great then the injuries started to pile up. Some players bounce back from that others just disappear.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #13
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

The line in 2008 was absolutely spectacular, regardless of what loneturd says.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #14
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Ya he started off great then the injuries started to pile up. Some players bounce back from that others just disappear.
He had those issues since Notre Dame and was a concern when he came out of Minnesota in High School. It wasn't really surprise. That is why he was a third rounder.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #15
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
The line in 2008 was absolutely spectacular, regardless of what loneturd says.
Good to see you posting again
Old 11-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #16
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
So he's not running for his life in Chicago now? He's running for his life there yet getting sacked way more times than 12 over last couple years
But you also have to remember that we had a decent running game in DEN most of the time and that kept the D off balance somewhat.

Cutlet made his own bed being adick and frankly they would have been much wiser to spend those two first rounders on OL guys than that putZ
Old 11-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #17
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
But you also have to remember that we had a decent running game in DEN most of the time and that kept the D off balance somewhat.

Cutlet made his own bed being adick and frankly they would have been much wiser to spend those two first rounders on OL guys than that putZ
Wasn't our leading rusher only 300 something yards? And we had to hire a cell phone store manager? I think for them to have gone through that many running backs is a testament to how good that line was both pass and run block.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #18
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Wasn't our leading rusher only 300 something yards? And we had to hire a cell phone store manager? I think for them to have gone through that many running backs is a testament to how good that line was both pass and run block.
Do not pull the wool from his eyes.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #19
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

So Manning has only been sacked 11 times in 9 games but Von Miller has 10 sacks just by himself against our opponents? Boy, that is sweet comparison.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #20
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
IIRC 340 yards. But there were 7 plus RBs that year.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #21
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
I believe Harris is in Houston now. Hopefully he can recover from his back issues but from what i read it seems unlikely and he is a shadow of his former self.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #22
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
They need to make sure this Oline sticks together. Hopefully this doesn't detour Walton's progress. Koppens long in the tooth ya? Will be interesting to see how the clady contract plays out. Being at the top of the league is ammo for his agent

But not to rain on anyone's parade I do not see them giving Clady the contract he feels and probably would have gotten 5 years ago when OLT were the second most important position on O.

With the advent of the quick passing game, for the most part 3 steps back OR LESS that spot just does not command spending 10mil plus on per year.

Even Franklin as mediocre as he was last year in pass protect has been great this year. So IMO the franchise him, draft an OT in like the second round and move on after a year.
As good as he has been wrapping up 10% or more of your cap for a position that is no longer a premier spot makes no sense dollar wise.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #23
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I believe Harris is in Houston now. Hopefully he can recover from his back issues but from what i read it seems unlikely and he is a shadow of his former self.
Was pretty sure he was out of football altogether but it seems he just took 11 off. He has had no starts this year.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #24
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
But I was told last year that this line was garbage and couldn't protect the QB?
Teboners being Teboners.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #25
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football

GO..........BRONCOS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

it amazing how good an o-line will look when the QB gets rid of the ball in a timely matter and isnt running around everywhere behind LOS when def has eyes on him but oline doesnt.
bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote