The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM
Default defense in 2nd half vs Carolina...wow

Possibly the best stretch of defensive football I can remember seeing - certainly from the Broncos. I was at the game and this mostly happened on the opposite end of the field so I didn't really get a feel for how dominant this all was, but watching it on TV tonight...holy cow.

let's pick it up after the Manning fumble (penalties removed):

Panther possession 1:
Code:
1-10 CAR 34 Cam Newton pass incomplete short left intended for Brandon LaFell is intercepted by Tony Carter at CAR-40 and returned for 40 yards, touchdown
Great penetration and hustle by Miller, forcing the pick-6.

Panther possession 2:
Code:
1-15 CAR 6 DeAngelo Williams right guard for -5 yards (tackle by Von Miller)
2-20 CAR 1 Cam Newton pass complete short middle to Brandon LaFell for 21 yards (tackle by Danny Trevathan)
1-10 CAR 22 Cam Newton pass incomplete short left intended for Steve Smith (defended by Robert Ayers)
1-10 CAR 35 DeAngelo Williams left end for no gain (tackle by Derek Wolfe)
2-10 CAR 35 Cam Newton pass incomplete short right intended for Steve Smith
3-10 CAR 35 Cam Newton sacked by Chris Harris for -3 yards
only bad spot - the big play to LaFell. Outside of that, there was 1 sack, on tackle for a loss, and Cam had constant pressure every time he was back to pass. The defense was absolutely flying around the ball. There was one additional sack that had a horse-collar 15 yarder tacked on - ticky tack call, if you ask me.

Panther Possession 3:
Code:
1-10 CAR 22 DeAngelo Williams left guard for 4 yards (tackle by Justin Bannan)
2-6 CAR 26 Cam Newton pass complete short left to Greg Olsen for 4 yards (tackle by Wesley Woodyard and Tony Carter)
3-2 CAR 30 Cam Newton up the middle for -4 yards (tackle by Von Miller)
the 3rd and 2 stop by Miller - wow.

panther possession 4:
Code:
1-10 CAR 20 Jonathan Stewart for -4 yards (tackle by Von Miller). Jonathan Stewart fumbles (forced by Von Miller), recovered by Jordan Gross at CAR-16
2-14 CAR 16 Cam Newton pass incomplete short right intended for Louis Murphy
3-14 CAR 16 Cam Newton pass incomplete short right intended for Brandon LaFell (defended by Robert Ayers)
Panther possession 5:
Code:
1-15 CAR 6 Cam Newton pass complete short right to Mike Tolbert for 8 yards (tackle by Keith Brooking)
2-7 CAR 14 Cam Newton sacked by Robert Ayers for -12 yards
3-19 CAR 2 Cam Newton sacked by Mike Adams for -2 yards, safety
hell of a sack by Ayers, bringing them back to the 2.

in 5 panther possessions, the Broncos logged:
  • 1 defensive TD
  • 1 safety
  • 1 int
  • 1 forced fumble
  • 3 sacks
  • 3 tackles for a loss (all by Von Miller)
  • 7 net yards (excluding penalties)
  • 4 plays went for positive yards, 6 plays that went for negative yards.
  • 3 three-and-outs

I don't care who you are - '85 Bears, '00 Ravens...That's a fantastic stretch of defensive football.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

by the way - I don't care any more about Watt's 10 passes defended. Von's tackles for a loss are much more disruptive. Von's performance on Sunday should automatically put him in the drivers seat for DPOY. He was dominant, disruptive, and game changing.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Looked like a playoff caliber defense

Dare I say...a superbowl winning defense...

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
by the way - I don't care any more about Watt's 10 passes defended. Von's tackles for a loss are much more disruptive. Von's performance on Sunday should automatically put him in the drivers seat for DPOY. He was dominant, disruptive, and game changing.
What Miller has done so far with the double digit sacks and double digit TFLs has taken 20 other players a full season to do.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
Jay3

I've never seen anything truly like it -- they were gang-tackling Newton. It was like the ball was snapped and 3 or 4 guys just came at him like spider monkeys.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

If this defence keeps up the steam they have had since the second half of the last San Diego game, there is no team in the league we can't beat in any given week.

Interesting stat by the way, the Broncos defence leads the league in sacks with 31, the Broncos offence leads the league in sacks allowed with 11 (tied with Houston), that means our sack differential is +20, the last 10 super bowl winners all went positive in that stat, with the Giants topping the list at 20 and 25 in their 2 recent super bowl seasons.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
I've never seen anything truly like it -- they were gang-tackling Newton. It was like the ball was snapped and 3 or 4 guys just came at him like spider monkeys.
it was insane. The Panthers could do nothing, outside of that LaFell completion. Every tackle - every single one, had about 5 Broncos involved.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Reminded me of the 97 team against Carolina at home.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #9
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I liked how the team didn't skip a beat after doom went down. Really impressed with Ayers in that game.

Sacks basically function as a turnover in most case; complete drive killers.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
I liked how the team didn't skip a beat after doom went down. Really impressed with Ayers in that game.

Sacks basically function as a turnover in most case; complete drive killers.
That's another great point - this dominating performance came w/o Dumervil...Ayers had one sack and at least 2 QB disruptions.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #11
SeedReaver
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
That's another great point - this dominating performance came w/o Dumervil...Ayers had one sack and at least 2 QB disruptions.
Depth can be just as important as any starter.
SeedReaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #12
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

It's been awhile since this team was hitting on so many cylinders. Let the good times roll.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I thought with our offense being able to produce so many points weekly (throw a game out here or there, that happens), our defense just needed to be decent for us to have a shot at winning the Superbowl. If our defense keeps this up, along with our special teams, boy it's going to make life really difficult for other teams.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #14
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I thought with our offense being able to produce so many points weekly (throw a game out here or there, that happens), our defense just needed to be decent for us to have a shot at winning the Superbowl. If our defense keeps this up, along with our special teams, boy it's going to make life really difficult for other teams.
if our defense can string together more stretches like that, we will be hands down the best team in the league.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #15
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
It's been awhile since this team was hitting on so many cylinders. Let the good times roll.
hard to believe this is the team who just a couple yrs ago could not get the right amount of players on the field for the defense etc etc. Haven't seen football like this from Denver since we were beating the Falcons in the Superbowl.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #16
Bacchus

Check out the second half of the S.D. game. They force 4 turnovers I believe. Checkout the whole games minus the garbage drive at the end Against New Orleans.This defense is playing terrific and honestly I see Denver blowing S.D. out on Sunday.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:26 AM   #17
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Check out the second half of the S.D. game. They force 4 turnovers I believe. Checkout the whole games minus the garbage drive at the end Against New Orleans.This defense is playing terrific and honestly I see Denver blowing S.D. out on Sunday.
I guess i'd have to re watch the New Orleans game but i more or less felt like their offense was bad that night independent of our defense.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #18
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportinOne View Post
I guess i'd have to re watch the New Orleans game but i more or less felt like their offense was bad that night independent of our defense.
That's how I felt about the 2nd half of the SD game too, but after a few of these - making other teams look bad, you've gotta start believing that this is actually happening - this D is becoming more and more dominant as they find their way.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #19
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
Reminded me of the 97 team against Carolina at home.
I remember that game.....I believe it snowed for at least part of it. Also, Flash Gordon had TWO punt returns for TDs in the game.....both coming in one quarter.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #20
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think there maybe a case for denver playing vanilla offense so as we don't show alot of it.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #21
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

That was one of the best defensive performances I've seen the Broncos have. Like, wow.
And individually, Von Miller was a freakin monster. I've never seen him play like that. Forcing fumbles, sacks, tackles for a loss, NEGATIVE plays.
He should be right there with Watt for DPOY IMO.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #22
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportinOne View Post
The Saints have won 4 out of the last 5 games and their offense has been great in the other games. One thin I took away from the Saints game is how much faster Denver's defense was than the Saints offense. As soon as the receiver caught the ball he was going down. Graham had little that night excluding the final drive.

I noticed that last week too. How slow did Cam Newton look out there? He looked damn slow and I know he isn't.